Spyder Garage

Default oil capacity 1330

i recently did an oil change on my 2016 f3lim
    i checked the handbook and the workshop manual and it specd 4.7 litres with filter
    so thats what it got......i dont try to check with dipstick as i find dry sump engines a little fluky to check

anyway,a punter comes over for an oil change,not long after,with a 2019 F3 so i checked his book for capacity,just to be anal, and it calls for 5.2 litres

so i went back to my bike and checked the dip stick(something i never do...i change oil every 5000kms or 3000miles)and i find no oil on the dipstick

so why are there 2 different recommends? one 4.7 and one 5.2? or am i reading things wrongly?

russ
    2016 F3 Lim
    Nankang Green sport fronts 165/60/15 at 15psi
    Nankang XR611 rear 225/50/15 at 22psi
    Akrapovic with oem cat
    Monster stage 1 flash
    Sig light
    Home made rear rack
    Feet at pos2 with lowered brake pedal

Spyder Garage

Ha .. They're different each year in a 2018/2019/2020 F3 owners manual. Why ? Who knows. Start at 5.25 qts/ride/check/add if necessary.
    2019 F3-S SE6 Monolith Black
    --------------------------------
    Comfort: Madstad 14" dark gray - 20" light gray windshields/Seth Laam seat/Homemade floorboards-highway pegs/+4 and +5 linkage/Long Reach Bars/Heated grips/Big Bike rider backrest/Handguards

Ride and Handling: Spyder**** sway bar/Vredestein Q5 front tires/Cooper CS5 Ultra rear tire/Two Up shock/Laser aligned

Performance: DynoJet PV3/K&N air filter/Baldwin cat delete pipe/LaMonster belt roller

Convenience: Shad detachable luggage/Spyder**** USB-12V powerport/Detachable passenger seat storage box/Bar end mirrors

Safety: H4 LED headlights/Aux fender LED lights/TricLED driving lights/TricLED run-brake-turn rear light/Frunk lip LED light strip

Spyder Garage

Maybe one is if you change the oil filter and one is if you don't?

SOLD 2016 Pearl White, F3 Limited. BajaRon's swaybar, Lamont's LED head lights, fog lights, frame caps & Trident pegs, TricLED front fender amber & red lights, & saddlebag lights. BRP engine bling & travel cover. Baker Built Air Wings, laser aligned, Spyderpops bumpskid, Spyclops, halo & LED mirror turn signal lights & run/turn/brake lights Elka shocks.

Spyder Garage

BRP has spent a good bit of time and effort to explain the oil level checking procedure for the 1330 ACE engine so operator's can get a reliable dipstick reading on a fully warmed up engine. If you follow the procedure for checking the oil level beginning on pg 115 of your operator's guide you will routinely get a correct reading on the dipstick. If you delay any more than two minutes in checking the dipstick after turning off a fully warmed up engine gravity has begun to allow oil to drain from the dry sump tank back into the crankcase and there is not a reliable way to verify how much oil has drained out of the tank over time.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I can tell you the 1330 engine is mostly unchanged for 2015 thru 2019, to the point they are directly interchangeable, electronics, harness, ECM etc. IE a 2019 engine is a direct fit in a 2015 bike and vice versa.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mine takes a little over 5 Quarts or 4.7 liters. So put in 4.7 and ride it then check it when you get it warm.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650

Spyder Garage

5 quarts got mine to the halfway dot on the stick.
    I'm staying with it.

Spyder Garage

My user handbook and service manual for the same bike have that discrepancy too. I put in 5 litres and it's always been fine.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by merlot View Post
    i recently did an oil change on my 2016 f3lim
    i checked the handbook and the workshop manual and it specd 4.7 litres with filter
    so thats what it got......i dont try to check with dipstick as i find dry sump engines a little fluky to check

anyway,a punter comes over for an oil change,not long after,with a 2019 F3 so i checked his book for capacity,just to be anal, and it calls for 5.2 litres

so i went back to my bike and checked the dip stick(something i never do...i change oil every 5000kms or 3000miles)and i find no oil on the dipstick

so why are there 2 different recommends? one 4.7 and one 5.2? or am i reading things wrongly?
    I trust you are familiar with the term "screw up", and its more seemly variations? It would be interesting to know if the BRP document writers sometimes just do a poor job of quality control over the writing process, or just the translation process from French to English. Being in Quebec BRP by law is a French first company.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.