Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ironton Ohio
    Posts
    5
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default 2010 RT trailer wiring

    Can the existing wiring on an RT be tapped into and ran thru an isolator circuit relays to tow a trailer other than the BRP trailer? Will this create computer problems for the VSS, ABS, etc.?

  2. #2
    SpyderLovers Founder Lamonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    15,776
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    welcome
    You won't have any trouble with the computer, it's doesn't know you're towing a trailer.


  3. #3
    Registered Users
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Milehigh City
    Posts
    1,169
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    welcome

  4. #4
    Blazing Member fastfraser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Orangeville, Canada
    Posts
    3,998
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    welcome Good luck with your wiring .
    Happy Owner






  5. #5
    Very Active Member dancogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    1,198
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Wow, Lamont, that's great info. Does it come from the shop manual? I'll print that off and save it.
    Dan

  6. #6
    SpyderLovers Founder Lamonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    15,776
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    Wow, Lamont, that's great info. Does it come from the shop manual? I'll print that off and save it.
    A member here posted it.

  7. #7
    2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    1,305
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    and welcome.

  8. #8
    Motorbike Professor NancysToy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, MI
    Posts
    20,514
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I am towing two different non-BRP trailers. Both have separate turn signals and 6-pole plugs. I bought the BRP Trailer Tongue Harness P/N 710002029, and built my own adapter. If you have a trailer without separate turn signals, you will need an additional converter. You won't need an additional isolator if you have the BRP hitch and trailer plug. The isolator module is already built in to the harness.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine) & 2008 Spyder GS-SM5-PE (Nancy's)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 22 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder



    Mutant Trikes Forever!

  9. #9
    Very Active Member rogerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Waterboro,ME
    Posts
    789
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    If you need a five wire to a four wire set up go to www.customcruiserchrome.com . Canadian company with good products and fast service. Shipping included in price. Also have trailerhitches.

  10. #10
    Registered Users wa3wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Federal Way,Wa.
    Posts
    240
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Converter ?

    Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I am towing two different non-BRP trailers. Both have separate turn signals and 6-pole plugs. I bought the BRP Trailer Tongue Harness P/N 710002029, and built my own adapter. If you have a trailer without separate turn signals, you will need an additional converter. You won't need an additional isolator if you have the BRP hitch and trailer plug. The isolator module is already built in to the harness.

    I have wired my none BRP trailer using the wire diagram posted above. I used the BRP harness ... all works great .... BUT after about 15 miles the RT will go into limp mode and shut down, I stop and wait about 1 minute and it fires right up, it continues to do this so on this last trip to Ca. to Corbin I unhooked connector and ran with no trailer lites. My non BRP trailer set hight wise low enough that the Spyder lite can be easily seen from the rear. What did I miss in the wiring set up and you mentioned additional converter ( ) purpose and where would this be placed in the flow of the wiring?

    Thanks ahead.
    wa3wheels How can u drop a raw egg onto a concrete floor without cracking it? *Any way you want, concrete floors are very hard to crack.

  11. #11
    Motorbike Professor NancysToy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, MI
    Posts
    20,514
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wa3wheels View Post
    I have wired my none BRP trailer using the wire diagram posted above. I used the BRP harness ... all works great .... BUT after about 15 miles the RT will go into limp mode and shut down, I stop and wait about 1 minute and it fires right up, it continues to do this so on this last trip to Ca. to Corbin I unhooked connector and ran with no trailer lites. My non BRP trailer set hight wise low enough that the Spyder lite can be easily seen from the rear. What did I miss in the wiring set up and you mentioned additional converter ( ) purpose and where would this be placed in the flow of the wiring?

    Thanks ahead.
    I have had no such problems. Hard to diagnose your problem remotely. Do you have separate turn signals on your trailer? If not, that could be the source of your problem. You would need a 5-4 wire (3-2 wire) converter. Basically your circuits would be crossed at times. It could also be a short, too much lighting load...or even a non-related issue. When the Spyder goes into limp mode, you need to check the fault codes before you shut it down. If the problem remains, PM me and I'll send you my vitals so we can discuss it further, offline.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine) & 2008 Spyder GS-SM5-PE (Nancy's)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 22 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder



    Mutant Trikes Forever!

  12. #12
    Registered Users
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    2
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default BRP trailer harness

    I own a Fibro Concept Trailer that I used with my Goldwing before trading it for the RT, a much nicer looking trailer than the BRP one. I bought the BRP trailer harness and wired it to my trailer, all works perfect. Just need to get the trailer painted to match the RT, thanks for all of the info.

  13. #13

    MOgang Member & Monster Member

    SteveMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Jackson, Missouri
    Posts
    2,885
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    You know, if there was ever a niche to be filled, some smart vendor should manufacture an adapter to plug into the spyder and connect to a four wire trailer system. No need to read and interpret a diagram. Just plug and play baby!

    I for one would purchase such an item!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •