Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil change kits

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil change kits

Who sells the oil change kit that I need for my 2010 RT?

Spyder Garage

You can pay through the nose for a complete one including oil from BRP or save some shekels buying parts from BajaRon (a SL sponsor) and buy the oil of your choice or get Amsoil from him too.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I buy mine from Baja Ron, great guy& service.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Robs, Honda East, Moesites. All good places, site sponsors. Figure right around $56 for the SM and $60 for the SE shipped seems to be about the going rate.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by debbieogden55 View Post
    Who sells the oil change kit that I need for my 2010 RT?
    I paid $62 for the one I recently bought at my dealer. BRP blend oil and the other needed parts. What a racket.
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How is $62 a racket for 5qts of oil, a filter, and all the orings and crush gaskets you need?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

possible to save some money by shopping around... Hi Flo oil filter #556 is available on Ebay for under $5.00 for (1330 engine)... Castrol 5W40 full synthetic (not a blend) with a SL rating $44.00 on Amazon... O-rings & drain plug washers -- $3.00 from parts house..

osm

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not going to argue about pennies but your spending more than that. Throw up some links if your finding oil and filters on the cheap, I'm sure others would love to know.

For most that don't want to over think it, $56 for an sm5 kit or even $62 is nice, easy, and affordable.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Shopping...

I get mine from ebay...the xps blend kit....they end up coming from bike shops but great prices...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Shell Rotella T-6 5W-40 Full Synthetic $21.00 a GALLON at Wal-Mart or Tractor Supply.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Not going to argue about pennies but your spending more than that. Throw up some links if your finding oil and filters on the cheap, I'm sure others would love to know.

For most that don't want to over think it, $56 for an sm5 kit or even $62 is nice, easy, and affordable.
    Drew... go to Ebay.com ... type in Hi Flo #556 oil filter ... prices range start at $3.50 and go up... one vendor has sold over 90 .. if you can't find it on your own, let me know i'll try to guide you ? for Castrol T4 go to Amazon.com type in Castrol 5W40 T4 full synthetic oil .. by the way... Castrol T4 is not a cheap blend.. its 100% FULL SYNTHETIC (and it has a SL rating which is approved by BRP - check your manual) for the O-rings.. I buy them from Blue Water rubber & gaskets (local company) I bought 5 of each of the O-rings & copper sealing washers for the drain plugs..... cost $3.72 for the lot...

if you want to put a cheaper/inferior oil in your spyder its ok wif me... check prices for yourself on the above oil & filter.. I am spending less than $56 for a much better oil.. and same filter BRP uses

osm

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Robs, Honda East, Moesites. All good places, site sponsors. Figure right around $56 for the SM and $60 for the SE shipped seems to be about the going rate.

Wow my stealer charged me 89.00
    Leon
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

2014 RT S SE-6 COGNAC, 2010 RT 622 TRAILER TIMELESS BLACK
    BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn
    stant gas cap,( Dimple oil plugs REMOVED ) JT dash mount.
    (Onboard) Lamonster Garage air compressor and intelliboost charger.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    Drew... go to Ebay.com ... type in Hi Flo #556 oil filter ... prices range start at $3.50 and go up... one vendor has sold over 90 .. if you can't find it on your own, let me know i'll try to guide you ? for Castrol T4 go to Amazon.com type in Castrol 5W40 T4 full synthetic oil .. by the way... Castrol T4 is not a cheap blend.. its 100% FULL SYNTHETIC (and it has a SL rating which is approved by BRP - check your manual) for the O-rings.. I buy them from Blue Water rubber & gaskets (local company) I bought 5 of each of the O-rings & copper sealing washers for the drain plugs..... cost $3.72 for the lot...

if you want to put a cheaper/inferior oil in your spyder its ok wif me... check prices for yourself on the above oil & filter.. I am spending less than $56 for a much better oil.. and same filter BRP uses

osm
    Yes, I sell these filter kits and Amsoil, but that is not why I am posting. I don't make a lot of money on these items and in any case, it does not bother me that there are alternative choices out there. Still, I want to offer a quality product at a competitive price. So this thread has interest to me in that respect.

Everyone should use the products that they are happy with. Riding is all about doing things your own way.

But it is curious to me how people see things sometimes. I have customers tell me they can get Amsoil for so-and-so price. I ask, 'Does that include tax?'. 'Well, no, I pay x.xx% tax on top of that price.' Which means that the customer is actually paying more for their Amsoil than my price including delivery. But mentally, they just don't account for the whole enchilada and think they are actually paying less than they are.

Sellers are aware of this psychological anomaly in many people and take advantage of it. And why not? It helps sell things. For example. It is not uncommon for an item on eBay to sell much better at $90.00 with $15.00 shipping than the same exact item for $100.00 free shipping.

And yes, that one seller has sold 90 of these HiFlo 559 filters. But it may have taken him 5 years to do it! When you have a 'Run Till Canceled' listing, it will keep racking up the numbers forever. Both the seller and eBay know the buyer will assume this number of items has been sold in a relatively short period of time. psychologically, this creates a 'Buy' mentality because if 90 people thought this was a good deal, then so do I!. It drives more sales and that's what it's all about.

I was not able to find any HiFlo 556 filters for less than this eBay listing for $7.91. Certainly way over the $3.50 quoted. Not saying that there isn't a HiFlo 556 out there somewhere for $3.50 (delivered?). Just saying I was not able to find it.

HI FLO - OIL FILTER HF556

• $7.91
    • Buy It Now

And this one, I think, is one that was specifically referenced. But this one is actually MORE expensive than the one above when you factor in shipping.

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Ron,

Like you, I run a small 1-man business.

Over the past 30+ years I have always been able find suppliers who could get it to me for less.

It usually does not come at the actual price(s) quoted due to what you have said.

I have also learned to go with those companies that are a little more expensive if they give me good service.

Sometimes when you save money, you will wait a long time to get your goods.

I have a number of suppliers that charge me more than I could get the same materials elsewhere. I stay with the suppliers who treat me the best; even if it costs me more. Simply because I value the good service.

Just my $0.02 on this subject,

Jerry Baumchen

Spyder Garage

Cool

BajaRon:

Do we message you to make an order ? Or how do you prefer us to order with you. Also I dont use paypal as I was hacked for $22,000.00 on a security breach thru paypal.....so do you take VISA or can we send a check and hold shipping until it clears ?

Look forward to ordering with you !

ST-L 2014 V-twin 998

Craig
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

Ron likes to work through email.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Click this link for Bajaron.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WEB-WVR View Post
    BajaRon:

Do we message you to make an order ? Or how do you prefer us to order with you. Also I dont use paypal as I was hacked for $22,000.00 on a security breach thru paypal.....so do you take VISA or can we send a check and hold shipping until it clears ?

Look forward to ordering with you !

ST-L 2014 V-twin 998

Craig
    The best way to get me is by email at fyredad@hotmail.com (as mentioned by Highwayman2013). eMail allows me to keep good records without writing everything down and then losing the paper! It's not a perfect system, nothing is. And I still manage to make some mistakes. But I try hard to keep them at a minimum.

I can't process a CC directly. I use Paypal for that. Like you, there are some who can't or will not use Paypal. But it is very rare so I have decided not to pay for a 3rd party service for CC's.

A personal check, MO, etc., works fine. Shipping is a bit slower but most allow for that.

Since I sell Amsoil at my actual cost. I need a zip code to give an accurate price quote because shipping costs vary by destination.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Craig,

Re: Look forward to ordering with you !

I have bought my sway bar from Ron. I have bought the Heim links from Ron. I have bought some oil change parts from Ron. Three seperate orders with him.

I do not use PayPal either.

I send him an email with what I want to buy ( be very specific if you can, and include your zipcode as he says ), he sends me back an email with the cost. I then send him a check.

Never a problem.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) If only other dealers were as honest.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Craig,

Re: Look forward to ordering with you !

I have bought my sway bar from Ron. I have bought the Heim links from Ron. I have bought some oil change parts from Ron. Three seperate orders with him.

I do not use PayPal either.

I send him an email with what I want to buy ( be very specific if you can, and include your zipcode as he says ), he sends me back an email with the cost. I then send him a check.

Never a problem.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) If only other dealers were as honest.
    Thanks Jerry....that is how I will order with him too. I also received your email...thanks !. Did you install the sway bar and links or did you have that mechanic do it ? Like the difference in handling ?

Later....keep the shiny side up !

Craig
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The best way to get me is by email at fyredad@hotmail.com (as mentioned by Highwayman2013). eMail allows me to keep good records without writing everything down and then losing the paper! It's not a perfect system, nothing is. And I still manage to make some mistakes. But I try hard to keep them at a minimum.

I can't process a CC directly. I use Paypal for that. Like you, there are some who can't or will not use Paypal. But it is very rare so I have decided not to pay for a 3rd party service for CC's.

A personal check, MO, etc., works fine. Shipping is a bit slower but most allow for that.

Since I sell Amsoil at my actual cost. I need a zip code to give an accurate price quote because shipping costs vary by destination.

Thanks Ron. I will send you an email and then follow up with a check. You the man !
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    possible to save some money by shopping around... Hi Flo oil filter #556 is available on Ebay for under $5.00 for (1330 engine)... Castrol 5W40 full synthetic (not a blend) with a SL rating $44.00 on Amazon... O-rings & drain plug washers -- $3.00 from parts house..

osm
    I'm going to get flamed for this, but I'm compelled to post anyway. And I'm not picking on you OSM by quoting your post. It's just that your post covered everything that I, for one, am against trying to save money on.

There's nothing wrong with saving a little cash now and then, but for heavens sake, are some of you really willing to risk your engine to try and save a buck on aftermarket filters, o-rings and washers?

Seriously, check these videos and then ask yourself how much money you're willing to spend, should something go wrong with the products you are purchasing from ebay of all places.

The oil and filter kits BRP sells are designed specifically for our machines and that's all I really all I have to say about it.

I'll be using only BRP products for my machine.
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Craig,

Re: Did you install the sway bar and links or did you have that mechanic do it ? Like the difference in handling ?

There were/are videos on this site that I used to install the sway bar. Quite simple once I got the entire front end off.

I bought the links recently and it was very easy to install them.

I cannot really speak about the improved handling. I lurked this site for a couple of months before I bought my Spyder. Once she was here & no shipping damage, I ordered the sway bar.

Everything that I read about the sway bar had no negative comments; made for an easy decision.

In general, I prefer vehicles with stiffer suspension/better handling.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...pdated-Version

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...t=sway+install

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HIspyder View Post
    I'm going to get flamed for this, but I'm compelled to post anyway. And I'm not picking on you OSM by quoting your post. It's just that your post covered everything that I, for one, am against trying to save money on.

There's nothing wrong with saving a little cash now and then, but for heavens sake, are some of you really willing to risk your engine to try and save a buck on aftermarket filters, o-rings and washers?

Seriously, check these videos and then ask yourself how much money you're willing to spend, should something go wrong with the products you are purchasing from ebay of all places.

The oil and filter kits BRP sells are designed specifically for our machines and that's all I really all I have to say about it.

I'll be using only BRP products for my machine.

Two things to keep in mind while watching those videos (and I'm a Shawn fan!)

• He works for a BRP dealer
    • Pretty sure that RT is not owned by him; it's the dealership's demo/loaner bike.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited