• There were many reasons for the change of the site software, the biggest was security. The age of the old software also meant no server updates for certain programs. There are many benefits to the new software, one of the biggest is the mobile functionality. Ill fix up some stuff in the coming days, we'll also try to get some of the old addons back or the data imported back into the site like the garage. To create a thread or to reply with a post is basically the same as it was in the prior software. The default style of the site is light colored, but i temporarily added a darker colored style, to change you can find a link at the bottom of the site.

Ratcheting down a Spyder S2S in a Cargo Trailer - what should I NOT be doing?

Smudge

New member
I have read through many of the previous posts about tying down a Spyder in a trailer. Some good info, at least the parts I understand. I have new S2S and an enclosed v-nose 7x14 cargo trailer that I will be putting it in. There are two tie down hooks in the floor in the front and two near the year. There is not any type of rack system in it at the moment. From what I read, chocking the wheels and strapping through the two front tires and the rear tire with maybe rags and avoiding stems will work. There are a couple of hooks on walls as well, but I assume those are useless as far as the bike goes.

I guess my question for people here is this, what should I NOT do when tying it down (ratchet straps to be used)?
 
Just remember the load will always run forward, in the case of a quick stop, so I would find some way to chock the front tires, then all you have to do is keep the tires in the chocks however you choose to! I then run a strap through the rear wheel going back to a tie down as a safety.
 
I strap the bike down through the wheels like you said, or the bottoms of the A arms. This way the Spyder is free to move up and down on its suspension as my trailer has a torsion bar suspension system, but the total movement is relatively small.
 
You can install ring nuts on the front shock bolts turning the bolt around. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P15BHSR?ref_=ppx_hzsearch_conn_dt_b_fed_asin_title_7

Do not cross the rachet straps. Just a good rachet strap on each side to the tie down on that side on the trailer. If you cross them, when the trike goes up on a bump, it will tend to pull the front tires in.

On the rear, you can use two heavy duty rachet straps going though the rear wheel and back to the tie down point. Put a microfiber cloth or a rag on the rear wheel where the straps rest. Keeping the trike from going forward as pointed out above is very important.

Tie down Ring cropped.jpg
 
Well, there are several different ways to do the tie down. I have posted up this on the Spyder Forum before.

But I am happy to do it again.
I went with 'E Track' for the front
wheels. Then strapped the wheels
onto the E Tracks. I routed a strap
over each wheel. I had the straps
modified (shortened). So two straps total.

For the Rear wheel, I used the two
rear D-links that were already in my
Trailer. So I tied the back from the left D-Link,
through the Rear Wheel using some
carpet to protect the wheel, then to the right D-Link. I only needed one strap
for the Rear.

Over to you. (y)

Ps: My earlier thread is 'Are you using Tie down straps to secure a Spyder...' Dated May 5th 2025.

It comes up on my computer - this link should work:


Have yourself a Great Day. (y)
 
Back
Top