let me make a couple of observations, both my own previously to purchase, and other riders in my circle of friends & acquaintences:

1) that the purchase price is insanely high...I'm ask how much does a new spyder cost...I own a Limited and when I answer that mine is the top of the line machine and it retails for $32k and real price is high $20's, they get glassy eyed and compare it to purchasing a top of the line Accord. But the accord doesn't need an extended warranty that is necessary to purchase for a Spyder at another $800-1000.

2) the reputation, especially on the 998cc when considering a used purchase, is unreliability and a prayers one can be found with an extended warranty attached. Everyone seems to know about grenaded clutches and engines.

3) Spyders are trikes...they think in the same vein as HD trikes and Goldwings with trike kits. The price of those are similar to a Spyder, but those are "geezer mobiles". And they are unsafe. Many base it on the reports of roll overs and deaths riding the Dragon on trikes. One has to point out and convince them the faster, renegade Spyder CAN NOT be tipped or rolled over, and it's a sporty machine that will make the driver feel young.