Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
Do you know that keys can now be cloned in a hardware store ?
In other words, if you have two keys, the DESS module gets programmed to accept key 1 and key 2. If you want a third key you need to have the DESS reprogrammed to accept key 1, key 2, and key 3.
The cloning technology is readily available, so you can make multiple copies of the keys. In other words, instead of having three distinct keys, you can have three copies of key 1. The DESS module can't tell the difference.
If the DESS can't tell the difference between a programmed key and a cloned key, then I suggest the whole concept of security with the DESS module is completely and totally nullified.
In simple terms, the key technology has advanced beyond the DESS module, making it useless. All it seems to be doing is adding expense and another point of failure without delivering much in the way of security.
They ought to just scrap the damn thing and go to a simple inexpensive key without a chip in it. This is clearly an example of making the machine more complicated for no damn reason other than the fact that they can.
Think Windows 8.
Or New Coke.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong. And if I am, I'm sure someone on this forum will let me know right away.
This DESS problem only arrived with the 2014 RT's, and only on some machines...You would think that BRP had a system on the earlier machines that worked fine they would have stuck with it???

As far as calling road side assistance I tried that with the first DESS failure and my out of pocket expense for the roll back service would have been over $500.00...So I ended up trailering the Spyder home and back to the dealer on my dime...

So here it is prime foliage season in south central PA and my Spyder setting in the garage waiting for BRP to snap out another fix for a problem they seem to have engineered into the system...Or if its something I'm doing or have done to the Spyder tell me what and I'll undo it...

You shouldn't need to be afraid ever time you turn this thing off if its not going to start again due to this DESS issue...Surely BRP can program this feature off until they get a proper fix???