Spyder Garage

Default Skid Plate for 2014 RT -- Aluminium or "PVC"???

Which is the best type? One manufactured from aluminium or heavy duty PVC?
    What type are the OEM BRP skid plates?

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There is a small one from the factory that is plastic. We have the Spyderpops one. It is a heavy plastic and protects the nose and the bottom of the frunk. Don't know of any made from metal. You should see the marks on our skid plate after a couple high blacktop low driveway scrapes.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Skids..!!

as mentioned above the oem is plastic and tucked under covering basically the frunk. We know only the spyderpops which is appropriately named a bumpskid because it extends out about an inch and acts as a bumper and cover the entire area under the nose. I have seen aluminum ones but custom made and not readily available....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The BEST one comes from SpyderPops!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

I didn't realize there is an OEM one!!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

When you install the Spyderpops one, the OEM one is removed. It's very small.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    as mentioned above the oem is plastic and tucked under covering basically the frunk. We know only the spyderpops which is appropriately named a bumpskid because it extends out about an inch and acts as a bumper and cover the entire area under the nose. I have seen aluminum ones but custom made and not readily available....
    What he said. A custom made aluminum one might be better, but you'd have to do it yourself.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    Which is the best type? One manufactured from aluminium or heavy duty PVC?
    What type are the OEM BRP skid plates?
    I wouldn't use either material as a skid plate, I would use Delrin or similar. I'm pretty sure Harvey (SpyderPops) makes his from Delrin and if I wanted one it would be his.

JT

Spyder Garage

What is this Delrin you speak of?
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    What is this Delrin you speak of?
    Delrin is an acetal homopolymer resin combines lubricity and wear resistance with the stiffness and strength needed in parts designed to replace metal. It is made by Dupont but there are many versions of acetal homopolymer resin based material. It's a common material used in industry.

Delrin acetal homopolymer resin is a highly-crystalline polymer that has high stiffness and strength without the need for glass reinforcement. When compared to acetal copolymers offered by competitors, Delrin® offers higher tensile strength, stiffness, and creep resistance, and significantly outperforms on impact resistance, allowing for thinner and lighter part design. In addition, Delrin® offers outstanding low- and high-temperature performance, good colorability, and good mating with metal and other polymers.

JT

Spyder Garage

UHMW (ultra high molecular weight), it is a very slick plastic, you often see it used for cutting boards. It resists cuts and abrasions and is not brittle. It is heavy (hence the name) but it is good product for skid plates as it will slide up and over rather than gouge or shatter.

Spyder Garage

Default I agree - works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Installed the Spyderpops Bumpskid on both our 2012 and 2014 RT L's. The 2012 was saved several times by the bumpskid on areas such as entrances and exits, speedbumps. road hazards, etc. Haven't put the 2014's bumpskid to the test other than one scrape coming out of a gas station at a very slow speed.

Good luck with your decision!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    What he said. A custom made aluminum one might be better, but you'd have to do it yourself.

an aluminum one will bend.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Thank You re Skid Plate for 2014 RT -- Aluminium or "PVC" Enquiry

Thank you to all for your prompt replies. This is a great forum for getting info on Spyders, particularly when you are new to the wonderful world of Spyders.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    Thank you to all for your prompt replies. This is a great forum for getting info on Spyders, particularly when you are new to the wonderful world of Spyders.
    Yup, Spyderlovers here are very helpful! I use this forum for info., questions, etc.

BTW, to help protect your front end of your RT, (maybe this is obvious), take your entrances and exits (safely) at an angle to reduce the chance of bottoming out....I have a sloped driveway and do that all the time. Helps when you go into places like gas stations, restaurants, etc, as some of those places can have a steep entrance/exit.

Good luck with your 2014 RT - It's an AWESOME machine! We have about 8,000 miles on ours.....and lovin' every mile.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Teddy & I would like to say "Welcome to the SpyderHood!"

&

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    an aluminum one will bend.

Cruzr Joe
    Yep. That's what it's supposed to do, to absorb the impact energy. Then it can be bent back easily. That's one of the reasons why it's the most common materials used for this purpose.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    UHMW (ultra high molecular weight), it is a very slick plastic, you often see it used for cutting boards. It resists cuts and abrasions and is not brittle. It is heavy (hence the name) but it is good product for skid plates as it will slide up and over rather than gouge or shatter.
    Yup!

The slideails on snowmobile suspensions are made out of it...
    As are the best of the new plastic skis and skidplates!

They can take a pounding!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post
    Installed the Spyderpops Bumpskid on both our 2012 and 2014 RT L's. The 2012 was saved several times by the bumpskid on areas such as entrances and exits, speedbumps. road hazards, etc. Haven't put the 2014's bumpskid to the test other than one scrape coming out of a gas station at a very slow speed.

Good luck with your decision!
    I know this is an old thread but I have a 2011 and am looking for
    A skid plate or belly pan and am only finding ones listed for 2014 up. After reading your comment about the spyder pops one I checked it out but they are listed 2014-19. They are the same that you put on the the 2011 and 2014? Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorsickle View Post
    A skid plate or belly pan and am only finding ones listed for 2014 up. After reading your comment about the spyder pops one I checked it out but they are listed 2014-19. They are the same that you put on the the 2011 and 2014? Thanks
    The 2014 & on Spyder RT's are somewhat wider in the frunk area, especially underneath.... so while I strongly suspect that you could physically fit a 2014-19 Bumpskid onto a 2011 (or 2013 ) Spyder RT, there'd be a fair bit of Bumpskid sticking out from underneath just about everywhere but the very front.

Forum member Noboot (who is also an Ozzie ) sells the replacement Billet Windscreen Lift Arms and a pretty effective Alloy Skid Plate for RT's that might be more suitable for your 2011, but I don't know how you'd go with freight costs & delivery time in the current overseas freight delivery environment?! Still, might be worth a PM, you'll never know unless you ask!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A " SKID " plate IMHO may give the owner a false sense of security, .... if you hit say a curb, at any speed, there is a good likelihood that this will cause the entire FRUNK to raise up. If that happens a few of the Plastic tabs that attach with T-30 bolts will Break off. A dealer will NOT repair any of them ... they will just say the FRUNK has to replaced. This is going to be very,very expensive. and definitely not covered under warranty. Some scratches to the underside of your frunk is the least of your worries. .... just something to consider ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Here are the 2 available.

https://spyderpops.com/the-original-...odels-2010-13/

https://spyderpops.com/the-original-...odels-2010-13/
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!