Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Potential to Make Some Money - Ram Air Scoops

I suspect someone could make a ton of cash from 2013 RT and RS owners if they marketed an affordable and easily installed air scoop that would fit the grills under the rearview mirrors! Vertika makes one, but it is way too expensive.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default Air Scoops

Have you priced flat plastic lately?
    Then tried to shape it?
    Most of these plastic MODS you see on our Roadsters are either mold injected or heat vacuum over a formed mold. These forms take time and are often tweaked to get them just right. Then you have to look at the failure rate of the product as it comes out of the mold. Last of all is the quantity of finished products you have to have to make it worth while to produce for the projected sales.
    If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~

Spyder Garage

Exclamation

And the beat goes on. Or should that be bandaids?

One sure fire way to deminish years of heat complaints is to produce something worse. Done!

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    I suspect someone could make a ton of cash from 2013 RT and RS owners if they marketed an affordable and easily installed air scoop that would fit the grills under the rearview mirrors! Vertika makes one, but it is way too expensive.
    No doubt, what you say has merrit, but think about it......... what would that really solve?

You'd be forcing ambient air into the engine compartment only when your moving at higher speeds.
    I don't think most of us complain all that much about that issue in particular. (IMHO) The real problem seems to be when we're going slow or in stop & go traffic, & the heat builds up under the tupperware and when the radiator kicks on and causes the right foot to get torched The solution of the air scoop under the mirrors wouldn't really help much in these cases....... would it?

Heat rises, and those vents were placed there in an effort to give the heat another route of escape, instead of being trapped under the tupperware. Many of the posts I've read about the Vertika air-scoops that owners have them installed are not all that glowing of an endorsement and the results seem marginal at best, again at least from what I've read. I've yet to see anyone post that it relieved their problems with the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLooney View Post
    Then tried to shape it?
    Most of these plastic MODS you see on our Roadsters are either mold injected or heat vacuum over a formed mold. These forms take time and are often tweaked to get them just right. Then you have to look at the failure rate of the product as it comes out of the mold. Last of all is the quantity of finished products you have to have to make it worth while to produce for the projected sales.
    Don't forget about FiberGlass & or Carbon Fiber (not that Carbon-fiber is cheap by any means) I do believe the parts that Vertika builds are actually made out of FiberGlass.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    No doubt, what you say has merrit, but think about it......... what would that really solve?

Heat rises, and those vents were placed there in an effort to give the heat another route of escape, instead of being trapped under the tupperware. Many of the posts I've read about the Vertika air-scoops that owners have them installed are not all that glowing of an endorsement and the results seem marginal at best, again at least from what I've read. I've yet to see anyone post that it relieved their problems with the heat.
    with you Dave. Those top vents meant to let the hot air out by creating the negative pressure behind those clear plastic deflectors. There was a reason why BRP had them designed that way and I would not recommend changing it.
    2012 RT-S SE5 with Web Boards, custom graphics and battery tender leads

Spyder Garage

I worked with a buddy last year to remake the lobster "Y" piece on the gs/rs to put air inlets on the front. I actually have a prototype and ran it for a while on my GS but it seemed that it just trapped air in the top and the piece got really hot.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Post We solved ALL our issues with heat but its not one that I can reccomend to non-DIY'rs

Quote Originally Posted by Barlock View Post
    with you Dave. Those top vents meant to let the hot air out by creating the negative pressure behind those clear plastic deflectors. There was a reason why BRP had them designed that way and I would not recommend changing it.
    Oh but we did change it, tho exactly the opposite of the OP and added a small fan to the inside of the grill to help the hot air to escape, but we also added an 'on-demand' inline blower and removed the entire OEM Air-Box & resonator as well, so its a bit of an exteme make over but it works wonders and we also installed a digital temp gauge to show exactly what our 'under tupperware' temps are running and as soon as it starts heating up, flip the switch, and within 1 minute, its usually back to whatever the ambient temp is outside Problem solved, allthough as stated, not really an easy solution but it works for us

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Better air flow might help to get rid of hot air....but a better solution is for BRP to come up with a flash for the ECM.....remove or re-position the CAT......get rid of the CANISTER....Carlo @ BRP....I'm waiting for your call...thanks Carlo...really appreciate the call...ball is rolling
    Last edited by flamingobabe; 10-28-2013 at 02:09 PM.

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Arrow

[QUOTEBarlock;713191] with you Dave. Those top vents meant to let the hot air out by creating the negative pressure behind those clear plastic deflectors. There was a reason why BRP had them designed that way and I would not recommend changing it.[/QUOTE]

The negative pressure concept goes out the window the moment positionable air deflectors are installed.

Truth Is, none of us will know 'for sure' what will or will not work until there's extensive testing done. Unless someone gets lucky.

Most are merely searching for a cure to something BRP obviously wants no part of, and, that's unfortunate for Lots of folks.

Jm2c
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 10-28-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Spyder Garage
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Here's what you do..!!

remove the gargantuan air box, install kewl or similar system and mount a radiator fan facing downwards. Remove or perforate the engine plates at the bottom and add a manual/sensor switch. Now when slow or stopped you can turn the fan on drawing fresh air through the upper vents and blowing the accumulated air out. As they say back home "el papel aguanta todo" loosly translated it all works on paper....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrLooney View Post
    Then tried to shape it?
    It seems like Spyder Pops has been successful with things like the "Missing Heat Shield"
    Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post

You'd be forcing ambient air into the engine compartment only when your moving at higher speeds.
    I don't think most of us complain all that much about that issue in particular. (IMHO) The real problem seems to be when we're going slow or in stop & go traffic, & the heat builds up under the tupperware and when the radiator kicks on and causes the right foot to get torched The solution of the air scoop under the mirrors wouldn't really help much in these cases....... would it?

Don't forget about FiberGlass & or Carbon Fiber (not that Carbon-fiber is cheap by any means) I do believe the parts that Vertika builds are actually made out of FiberGlass.
    "You'd be forcing ambient air into the engine compartment only when your moving at higher speeds.
    I don't think most of us complain all that much about that issue in particular
    " I don't know about your Spyder, but my seat gets very hot, even at highway speeds . . . I've received 1st degree burns where my legs touch the place where the seat ends and the heat comes out from under the seat. . . . .

"Heat rises, and those vents were placed there in an effort to give the heat another route of escape, instead of being trapped under the tupperware." . . . Perhaps that was the intent, but it doesn't seem to be working, or else my master cylinder, brake cable, and charcoal canister would not have melted. A fan, in association with a ram vent would force incoming, cooler air, through the tupperware and out the bottom. JMHO

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    [QUOTEBarlock;713191] with you Dave. Those top vents meant to let the hot air out by creating the negative pressure behind those clear plastic deflectors. There was a reason why BRP had them designed that way and I would not recommend changing it.
    The negative pressure concept goes out the window the moment positionable air deflectors are installed.

Truth Is, none of us will know 'for sure' what will or will not work until there's extensive testing done. Unless someone gets lucky.

Most are merely searching for a cure to something BRP obviously wants no part of, and, that's unfortunate for Lots of folks.

Jm2c[/QUOTE]

I thought reports claimed that the movable vents still resulted in sucking out heat.
    2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metallic, Web Boards in Black Line-X Closed pattern, Bajaron sway bar and links, Spyderpop's Bump Skid, GloRyder remote controlled lights, show chrome rear rack, cargo nets in the all three rear bags, more to come........

Spyder Garage

Arrow

[/QUOTE]I thought reports claimed that the movable vents still resulted in sucking out heat.[/QUOTE]

We are warm enough here to still have temps under the tupperware that range between 102/7 degrees. Pull a glove off and place your hand in the air flow on the drvers side of the vent, and there's major heat being vacumned out of the top vents. Wish it was not true. But, that's the result in my case.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think it's good that folks are kicking around lots of ideas...
    Somebody will hit upon a bit of magic; I have no doubt of that!
    Granted; it's a shame that they have to...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default fact of life

1. engines make heat.
    2. bikes have engines.
    3.engines make bikes hot.
    4. nature of the beast.
    5. fact of life.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default solution

i will bet that brp will come up with a idea to allow more air into the engine compartment through side vents on the bike and also might come up with a way to put a fan under the body to come on at slow speeds to force air out the back of the bike to stop the hot seat issue. or they will just continue to say we are working on it until someone gets burnt bad and at that time they will come up with a fix very fast. but this is just me thinking out loud
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    1. engines make heat.
    2. bikes have engines.
    4. nature of the beast.
    5. fact of life.
    Yup! Yup!

Maybe just do a naked version of the Spyder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Yup! Yup!

Maybe just do a naked version of the Spyder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i like that, stainless mesh see- thru body panels, very sexy.

Spyder Garage

i like that, stainless mesh see- thru body panels, very sexy.
    I dunno, don't want a tryke that reminds everyone of Cher or Lady Gaga.
    2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metallic, Web Boards in Black Line-X Closed pattern, Bajaron sway bar and links, Spyderpop's Bump Skid, GloRyder remote controlled lights, show chrome rear rack, cargo nets in the all three rear bags, more to come........

Spyder Garage

Default everybody

could see your juggs.

Spyder Garage

1. engines make heat.
    2. bikes have engines.
    4. nature of the beast.
    5. fact of life.
    Other facts of life . . . melting master cylinders, melting brake cables, melting charcoal canisters are not normal . . . there is an issue, here. If you don't have that problem with your Spyder, well, thats just great . . . good for you. However, to cavalierly discount the validity of the issues almost half of 2013 Spyder riders are experienceing, according to the survey someone else conducted here is fatuous . . . I've ridden since the 60's and never had this kind of problem, before.

Spyder Garage

Default spyders + heat

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    Other facts of life . . . melting master cylinders, melting brake cables, melting charcoal canisters are not normal . . . there is an issue, here. If you don't have that problem with your Spyder, well, thats just great . . . good for you. However, to cavalierly discount the validity of the issues almost half of 2013 Spyder riders are experienceing, according to the survey someone else conducted here is fatuous . . . I've ridden since the 60's and never had this kind of problem, before.
    i've been around here for a while now. since day one people have bitched about the heat coming off their spyder, it never ends. as for the 13 models, if you have a heat problem, take it to a COMPETENT dealer and get it fixed.
    Last edited by coz; 10-29-2013 at 05:52 AM.

Spyder Garage

Question

There are people here who have done exactly that. Some have traveled hundreds of miles to a great dealer, AND, are still reporting problems.

What would you suggest they do?

I'm sure they will hang on your every word.

i've been around here for a while now. since day one people have bitched about the heat coming off their spyder, it never ends. as for the 13 models, if you have a heat problem, take it to a COMPETENT dealer and get it fixed.