Spyder Garage

Default Fines for using Hindle Exhaust?

I'm curious what the fines and penalties are which BRP lists on the Hindle pipe.
    My dealer talked me into putting it on my 2012 RSS when I had it in for HIDs and Fog Lights the other day since BRP is trying to clear out the old Hindle exhaust inventory I got it for around $399.

My dealer told me most after market exhaust isn't EPA legal and to not worry about the warning Can-Am has...

I've been warned by several people that it is very loud, and I can clearly see the emissions coming out the back. Now I'm starting to worry I will get pulled over and fined.

Any idea what the fines are for this?
    Has anyone on here been pulled over / fined for using these on the road?

(I'd find it hard to believe Can-Am really made them for closed-course racing)

Current Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2015 Spyder F3-S with Heated Handle Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Fog Lights, 12V port, Akrapovic Exhaust, Driver and Passenger Backrests

Previous Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2012 Spyder RS-S with Can-Am Comfort Seat, Comfort Grips, Rigid Saddle Bags, HID lights, Fog Lghts, 12V Accessory port, Trunk Liner, Hindle exhaust, Flash2Pass, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Side Grilles, Missing Air Dam, Air Management System, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

There are a lot of Hindle's out there--so I don't think there is a problem. The experts will come on with more information.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have never, ever, to this date, seen a motorcycle get pulled over for an exhaust issue, unless it was EXTREMELY loud (think about it, HD's toddle about going POTATO POTATO as loud as anything!) or the 'visible exhaust' is on par with a diesel engine burning oil. I currently have a fairly loud Spyder1Attitude pipe setup on my 2012 RT-S, and I have actually been complimented by VA State Police for 'sounding good'. Typically, police won't usually mess with you as long as you aren't extremely out of standards (Current standards, anyway), and aren't acting a fool on the street. Be warned, however, that these are simply what I have found up until this point...your experiences may vary according to your state laws!
    A real biker doesn't care about your opinion on his lifestyle, or his choice of steed.

Spyder Garage

Don't worry about getting a ticket. Have you ever heard of a harley rider getting a ticket for a loud exhaust? That hindle doesn't come close to most harley pipes.

That little warning by BRP is just to cover their butt, since it probably doesn't meet EPA standards.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Don't worry about getting a ticket. Have you ever heard of a harley rider getting a ticket for a loud exhaust? That hindle doesn't come close to most harley pipes.

That little warning by BRP is just to cover their butt, since it probably doesn't meet EPA standards.
    Can't say I've ever heard of Spyder closed track racing... I figured the warning was boiler plate and the exhaust was really meant for street use...

Current Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2015 Spyder F3-S with Heated Handle Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Fog Lights, 12V port, Akrapovic Exhaust, Driver and Passenger Backrests

Previous Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2012 Spyder RS-S with Can-Am Comfort Seat, Comfort Grips, Rigid Saddle Bags, HID lights, Fog Lghts, 12V Accessory port, Trunk Liner, Hindle exhaust, Flash2Pass, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Side Grilles, Missing Air Dam, Air Management System, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Default Noise law

Every state has different noise level law,s some states have no law,s check with your state police they might know my state has it at 95 decibels and we have a ton of Harley's with loud pipes around here and you probably do too .lol if you have to have a motorcycle inspection sticker then ask them ,leave on loud pipes save live,s !!!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

First my Tri-Glide with the 103 engine is probably louder than the hindel.
    Second unless your doing something else to attract a cop, Don't worry about it.
    Third, If the dealer installs the hindle, [On a street Spyder] And you get a citation it's on his dime,
    Unless you signed a waver, And even that waver may not hold up, The dealer is considered the expert [in the eyes of the law], you on the other are considered a lay man, A dealer should not instal it even if the layman insists....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't recall a single post in here about somebody getting yanked off the road for a Hindle...
    Bobbo's right; don't make yourself a target, and you won't get hit!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Various municipalities have enacted ordinances which make it illegal to operate a motorcycle without an EPA approved muffler in an attempt to curb loud pipes. They usually have a sign at the city limits something like "Noise ordinance strictly enforced." Even in those cases, if you take it easy and accelerate gently, you'll probably be OK.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

the warnings are to cover their butts if a case should arise. Much like meds all say in rare cases causes death..I have a hindel and probably need to be re-packed but never had a problem. Where they would question the noise level are in areas you have to go slow and the noise level drops any way...Remember many large twins (not to bash HD) run with straight pipes (no muffler at all). Relax..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

A couple of years back, the town of Myrtle Beach had enacted a couple of ordinances just before their Spring Rally, they had tried to require helmets, South Carolina doesn't require helmets, and a noise ordinance, they had lines of bikes backed up testing noise levels, I honestly don't remember the Db level, but the Harley shop brought an unmodified, straight off the showroom floor, Ultra, (I think,??) and it failed, almost every bike on the strip also failed so they had to raise the requirements, that has cost Myrtle Beach a bunch of revenue, as the biker community was very upset, they are just starting to get it back as a viable rally.
    Just about every aftermarket exhaust has for offroad use only, the real answer is to keep the sound low when you are in town, or in low noise areas, rapping your pipes will only raise the level of bad public relations for the entire motorcycle community. Our brand of motorcycles are very unique, and the non-motorcycle community will be on the lookout for us to step out of line.

Doc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Third, If the dealer installs the hindle, [On a street Spyder] And you get a citation it's on his dime,
    Unless you signed a waver, And even that waver may not hold up, The dealer is considered the expert [in the eyes of the law], you on the other are considered a lay man, A dealer should not instal it even if the layman insists....
    Maybe where you are from; but, not here is NYS.

Spyder Garage

You have nothing at all to be concerned with. I have a Two Brothers pipe (at the high recommendation of my dealer) and it is no way street legal and loud!
    I get tons of compliments including from cops who I have come across on the road.

Formula for success= don't be an idiot out on the road and all is well.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post

No offense... but that is absolutely not true in Illinois. The consumer is responsible.

The dealer could possibly be implicated; but not be held solely responsible.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Remember that in the Northeast; nobody is responsible for their own actions if they can pin it on somebody else!

Spyder Garage

Default noise

on weekends i go to a place on long island ny where there are cars and plenty of motorcycles, right at the entrance stands a state trooper and he pulls people over for loud pipes and helmets. so when he is not busy the bikes with really loud pipes wait until he gets busy writing a ticket than they leave. lol it funny to watch all the people leaving when he writes a ticket
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post
    I'm curious what the fines and penalties are which BRP lists on the Hindle pipe.
    My dealer talked me into putting it on my 2012 RSS when I had it in for HIDs and Fog Lights the other day since BRP is trying to clear out the old Hindle exhaust inventory I got it for around $399.

My dealer told me most after market exhaust isn't EPA legal and to not worry about the warning Can-Am has...

I've been warned by several people that it is very loud, and I can clearly see the emissions coming out the back. Now I'm starting to worry I will get pulled over and fined.

I assume, from your post you don't have a lot of previous "violator" experience. I offer a 3 day seminar in that; you'll receive a "certificate of completion", and you'll be qualified to roll with the worst sort of motorized scum.

As a side note; I worked in Criminal Justice for quite a few years, and just in case you do get pulled over heinously violating other peoples quiet space and follow that up with a botched bribery attempt and arrest:

Don't grab for the officer's gun................(my seminar does NOT include "combatives")......it won't go well for you.
    Don't borrow ANYTHING from ANYONE while in jail.............they'll want repayment "with interest" very quickly...................you should be wary of the other prisoners too.
    Go to the shower area as seldom as possible..............after making bail your family can pour bottled water on you outside before you get in the car.
    Carefully inspect all jail food..............it should be identifiable as to food type and class, NOT be green, and NOT smell like
    DON'T call any of the jail staff by clever slang terms you may have learned on TV or in the movies.............it won't go well for you.
    If you join any "Fraternal Sets", aka gangs; i.e. Aryan Brotherhood, Insane Spyder Disciples, etc.........you'll have to get tatted and commit some kind of initiation criminal act........all fraught with peril. Choose carefully!

In the meantime; enjoy you new Hindle exhaust, and last few days of freedom!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Default i can't figure this out!

in ny state i have gotten three tickets for an aftermarket can on my skidoo. (by the way, i have gotten off on all three occasions due to no evidence) but the cops and sheriffs continue to write tickets for sleds without knowing whether the decibel readings would be 83 decibels or greater. they have no meter to test it, and if they did, they would have to be 50 feet away from you and you would have to be doing 50 mph, as that is where the reading should be taken from! now i ask you, who's coming back to the site of the reading if you go blasting by at 50 or 60 mph?
    now back to the hindle. my hindle is way ing louder than my canned sled, especially when it backfires, and i have never gotten any form of warning. as a matter of fact, a couple of nj troopers that were at my shop looking for a 2 wheeler that had been speeding thru the neighborhood complimented me on the exhaust. go figure!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post

It's stated in catalog under the picture of Hindle exhaust add. That's why the dealer said ("not to worry about the warning Can-Am has...), that lets him off the hook.

The EPA fine is up to $10,000.00 and jail time is up to 10 years in a federal prison. Your stock muffler is also a catalytic converter. Plus there also state and local fines. I hope you have to old muffler the dealer took off. I know in Pa where my brother lives they have motorcycle safety inspections and if not EPA legal they don't pass and the state is notified. What most people do is put the stock mufflers back on for inspection. I have never heard of anyone getting busted by the EPA. In 2013 all Spydes have a separate catalytic converter then it's only a sound/noise fine.

Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flanker View Post
    I assume, from your post you don't have a lot of previous "violator" experience. I offer a 3 day seminar in that; you'll receive a "certificate of completion", and you'll be qualified to roll with the worst sort of motorized scum.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Remember that in the Northeast; nobody is responsible for their own actions if they can pin it on somebody else!

That would be one of the funniest statements ever made, if only it were not true...

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Cool noise

We are lucky here in the UK, as the Can-Am is classed as a tricycle and there is no set noise limit, & so we can not be fined, we can be cautioned it's to noisy, but as far as I know no one has been fined.
    A few loop holes in UK law on tricycles, we drive on a car license, no helmets required, with luck they will leave us alone

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up CaptainTooty, Teddy & I would like to say WELCOME TO THE SPYDERHOOD

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainTooty View Post
    We are lucky here in the UK, as the Can-Am is classed as a tricycle and there is no set noise limit, & so we can not be fined, we can be cautioned it's to noisy, but as far as I know no one has been fined.
    A few loop holes in UK law on tricycles, we drive on a car license, no helmets required, with luck they will leave us alone

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    in ny state i have gotten three tickets for an aftermarket can on my skidoo. (by the way, i have gotten off on all three occasions due to no evidence)
    Chuck...
    I was running a set of PSI twins on my 1992 Polaris XCR "520"; I pulled it off and went to a DG single after a stop along the trail brought the comment that I could be heard coming from over a mile away...

Loud pipes close trails, and communities; I learned my lesson!