Spyder Garage

Default GPS Question ???

I have started the process of searching out a GPS for my 2012 RT-S.
    I understand BRP recommends the Garman Zumo 660. However the price tag seems expensive. It's my understanding the Spyder must have a CB Communication system in order for the GPS to work on the speaker system within the spyder.

Question: Do you know if the 2012 RT-S would have come equiped with the CB Communication system?? My dealer does not think so.

Is anyone using the Zumo 660 without the CB Communication system?? If so is the Zumo loud enough so a person can hear the voice on it for turns etc... ??

If I purchase a cheaper Garman GPS what are others using for the power source??

Thanks for your help.

Spyder Garage

I have a zumo 660 and no CB. The audio comes through the radio of you hook it up using the BRP wiring harness. The directions are not loud enough through the radio. The best way to use it is to pair it with a Bluetooth headset then all is plenty loud.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 660

Quote Originally Posted by kinggeek View Post
    I have a zumo 660 and no CB. The audio comes through the radio of you hook it up using the BRP wiring harness. The directions are not loud enough through the radio. The best way to use it is to pair it with a Bluetooth headset then all is plenty loud.
    The 660 audio is fine over radio. Have a 2012 rt limited without the comm package. Perhaps wireing harness is standard on the limited.

Spyder Garage

I guess it boils down to what you need to feel the GPS is doing for you. Do you want the voice telling you to turn here, turn there while you are trying to read road signs and watch out for texters or do you want to use it to verify your trip plan?

Personally, I use GPS but I detest the voice options and my volume is off. I pre-plan all my routes so I use the GPS to track distance, time, etc. I do like the feature that shows proper exits, etc. (although I prefer roads that don't use exits ...), and sometimes it is interesting to watch as the unit keeps "recalculating". As a result, I am quite comfortable with a NUVI 1490. I removed my fuel and temp guages and use the power for the gauge light to power the GPS. I made a sun shade from some Kydex and I can see it most any light condition. This setup also allows me to have the GPS mounted in a good spot to see while keeping my eye on the road instead of looking down to the middle of the handlebars.

As you can see, your GPS use is personal preference, just like most Spyder related things. Whatever you choose, enjoy it to the fullest. Remember. if you follow all of the GPS recommendations, you will surely see some very interesting sights, especially if you select the "shortest route" option. For me, I used the $500 I saved to get other farkles ...
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButchD View Post
    The 660 audio is fine over radio. Have a 2012 rt limited without the comm package. Perhaps wireing harness is standard on the limited.
    You have better ears than me then because at speed the audio directions I get through the radio are at best muffled sounding and at such a low volume and I need to struggle to hear them well enough to actually be helpful. To me a headset is a MUST.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All the Zumo's are quite pricey when comparing to the regular auto GPS units, but the Zumo's are waterproof also.

I use a Garmin Nuvi 205 that I got refurbished for about $65, and a baggie. So far so good. For audio, I popped it open, and tied into the speaker output, added a 2.5mm jack, and tied it into my Sena SM-10. We use the Sena comm system, and I get the directions right into my helmet.

I did have to switch the voice to british so I could tell my GPS directions apart from all the other voices in my head...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    All the Zumo's are quite pricey when comparing to the regular auto GPS units, but the Zumo's are waterproof also.

I use a Garmin Nuvi 205 that I got refurbished for about $65, and a baggie. So far so good. For audio, I popped it open, and tied into the speaker output, added a 2.5mm jack, and tied it into my Sena SM-10. We use the Sena comm system, and I get the directions right into my helmet.

I did have to switch the voice to british so I could tell my GPS directions apart from all the other voices in my head...
    They Talk to you too???!!
    I'm so glad you posted that!
    Honey! I'm NOT Crazy !!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mindman View Post
    The voices do go away if I line my helmet with tin foil, but that's awfully uncomfortable...

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Post You have many options & here is our experience that may help you

As stated, you have many options to choose from and different routes to go about installation. Personally speaking, Teddy & I have the Zumo 665 which is the step up from the BRP Garmin Zumo 660 and it adds the XM satelite Radio and also Real Time Satelite Weather, which is handy while ryding open, cause it will chime in with an alert if rain/snow/sleet/what have you is within about a 50 mile radius of your location, which gives you time to check the included real time radar map and see if its something you need to worry about and possibly get your rain gear on for or not. Tho, the aformentioned does require a paid subscription, if you do alot of, or plan to do alot of long distance road-trips on the Spyder, then in our opininion, its totally worth it. You can usually find good deals on-line, like we got our unit, refurbished 2 years ago for about $150 less than new, so researching on-line can usually save you some money.

As for installing, we did it all ourselves, without buying anything extra from BRP. Instead, we spent $6 for a 6 foot audio cable extention from Radio Shack, and we hooked it into the 3.5mm plug on the Ipod connector in the rear trunk of the RT (should come with all RT models except base) and it plays loud and clear thru the RTs audio system when we have it set to the AUX mode. Only time we can't hear it, is if we are listening to AM/FM radio. Having XM tho, we rarely ever listen to regular AM/FM, and instead listen to either XM or our MP3s that are loaded on an sd card inside the Zumo. So anytime we're listening to music thru either XM or MP3s, and a turn or alert comes up, the music is automatically paused and the audio directions or alert is played thru the RTs speaker system.

KingGeek advised that on his Spyder he can't hear it thru the Spyders audio system well enough, and that may be true for him, as I know he wears a full face helmet. I usually do not where a fullface helmet, and I've never had an issue with not being able to hear the Zumo, even at 80+ on the highway. The RT has a setting in the audio functions so you can have the RT automatically change the audio level from low, medium, or high and it will adjust with the speed of the Spyder, meaning the faster you go, the louder your system will play, to a certain extent. We have ours set to High/Max and as stated, have never had an issue with not being able to hear the verbal ques or the music. It may also have something to do with the differences between the way we wired our systems as well...... I'm not sure.

As others have stated, if you unplug your analogue FUEL & TEMP gauges, they default back and show on the LCD center display and toggle on the left & right sides with the radio volume on one side and the air-ryde suspension on the other side. Most (including myself) like the digital versions much better, as they seem to be more accurate than there analogue conterparts. Unplugging the analogues leaves you with power and ground wires available, that you can install anything in those two areas that you choose, as long as its not over the rated fuse level. We used the left to power our Zumo and also a small LED strip that we used for an illuminated cup holder and on the other side, we used that to power our Teddy-Cam LCD display. All mounted using Ram-Mounts.

Good luck on your decision and choices and most of all ............... ENJOY THE RYDE
    Dave & Teddy~

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mindman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    The voices do go away if I line my helmet with tin foil, but that's awfully uncomfortable...
    Maybe those are the Gremlins in the machine that some people have mentioned...
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydertrike View Post
    I understand BRP recommends the Garman Zumo 660. However the price tag seems expensive. It's my understanding the Spyder must have a CB Communication system in order for the GPS to work on the speaker system within the spyder.

Question: Do you know if the 2012 RT-S would have come equiped with the CB Communication system?? My dealer does not think so.

Is anyone using the Zumo 660 without the CB Communication system?? If so is the Zumo loud enough so a person can hear the voice on it for turns etc... ??

Thanks for your help.
    I use the Garmin Nuvi 40 in an Arkon gps case attached to the SRT mugholder accessory bar. Dealer is installing a 12v outlet in place of the left analog gauge. The outlet will also power my handheld Cobra cb radio.

Spyder Garage

I have a Zumo 550 on my RT, which I bought in 2010. If I had to do it over, I would either use a Garmin Montana, or NUVI 550. The 550 is waterproof, without the Zumo's buttons (which I hardly ever use), and can be found for $99 on E-bay. The Montana is expensive, but does a ton more: 16 hrs on batteries, Topo maps included, 8MP camera, communicates with similar GPS units for a "find me" - and you can take a picture of something, and the Montana will guide you to it...

Based on the above options, I would never even look at the Zumo's again.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default GPS

OK my RT LTD came with the Garmin GPS. It also came with instructions in some other language. It is suppose to be wireless Bluetooth. I have blue tooth hearing aids that are paired with my phone. As soon as I can learn how to pair the GPS with my hearing aids it will flow directly to them and I'll be able to hear it with my full face helmet. I like to listen to her talk or him which ever you prefer. I don't have anyone to ride with me and I get lonesome. Only kidding.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug I View Post
    OK my RT LTD came with the Garmin GPS. It also came with instructions in some other language. It is suppose to be wireless Bluetooth. I have blue tooth hearing aids that are paired with my phone. As soon as I can learn how to pair the GPS with my hearing aids it will flow directly to them and I'll be able to hear it with my full face helmet. I like to listen to her talk or him which ever you prefer. I don't have anyone to ride with me and I get lonesome. Only kidding.
    Whenever you get lonely, you can just take a wrong turn. She'll start talking to you.

Spyder Garage

Default Iphone tom tom

I downloaded the TomTom app on my iphone ( I am not a garmin fan) I got a mount from Kewl metal that bolts to the center of my handel bars and I installed a battery tender under my seat I love it all. And if you want you just use your blue tooth set up with your phone. I prefer it off.
    2014 RT , Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default GPS Question ???

spydertrike - My 2012 RT-Limited came with the Zumo 660. As far as I can tell none of the Spyders come with the CB Communications system, it's an added option. I had not used it until yesterday to tell me directions.. so tried it out last night. As for myself, I could hear the directions clearly through the radio speakers as mentioned earlier by others. I have my audio set to auto adjust so that I can hear at hwy speeds. The one thing I don't like about the standard mount being in the center of the steering it that you are taking your eyes off the road if you want to see the screen. Having it mounted higher up off the top of the dashboard would have been a better option. As others have said.. you have many options..

Thanks for your help.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Last year, I bought a 2012 Spyder RT-S SM5 new. I felt the factory GPS was too expensive and I already had a TomTom Rider 2. I installed the Rider 2 on my Spyder. I used a bluetooth headset to receive turn instructions.

TO SEE MY INSTALL OF THE RIDER 2, CLICK HERE

This year, TomTom came out with the Rider 5 (some refer to it as the Rider 2013). It includes lifetime maps and is only available through Amazon at the moment. While price has varied at different times, presently it is available for around $400.

I basically use the setup I already installed for my Rider 2 to install my Rider 5.

MORE PICTURES OF MY INSTALL CAN BE VIEWED HERE
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 07-27-2013 at 03:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Hey, I use my iPad Mini

Thanks for your help.
    Hey I use my iPad Mini for my GPS. Got a ram mount, and placed it to the left of my dashboard. Plugged into the 12V outlet in the frunk. Works like a charm, large screen, and the gal's voice tells me where to turn. Think about this as a option. I already had the iPad mini, why then get a GPS. Make a great day and chase some wind. Paco
    Chase the wind every chance you get.....! 2013 Circuit Yellow RT-SE5
    Mods: Bump Skid, foam grips; Tric-LED 3rd & 4th tail lights, Mirror turn signals, & front fender lights; CB, Shortee CB & Radio Antennas, NBV Highway Pegs, USA & CA flags on Rivco flag mounts, Black widow frunk logo, Utopia Driver backrest, Sheepskin Driver Seat pad, running & brake light license frame, Chrome Luggage Rack, Ram mount on dashboard for iPad Mini for GPS, Race Tech shocks all around.