Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default All jokes aside, is this viable?

Insert a flex tube of some sort in the space between the cat converter and the gas tank. Do not allow it to touch. Vent it to an exhaust fan out the back to create negative pressure. Air should enter around the handlebar vent on the ST. Problem solved. Would someone be willing to try this? Maybe you could use a 1 1/4" radiator hose as a test. Does anyone have a photo of this area?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by OldDog; 06-28-2013 at 03:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see..!!

recent thread had two turbo fans installed in the fog light holes venting to the cylinder heads claiming no more heat problems..yesterday or before. Have ordered some and will try it out and let everyone know..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dog... (Or is it "Dawg" now? )
    This just looks like a project that you'll have to tackle on your OWN ST!
    Tell your Best-Half, that the folks on SpyderLovers are counting on you to come through with a workable design to save folks from catching on fire in traffic...
    That's right..
    Counting on you
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

sounds like a viable solution

let us know how things go and take plenty of pictures

1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Default I will appeal to the creative spirit.

Given that I am Spyderless, would someone consider looking into this? Some closeups of a naked ST would be good. Perhaps collectively we can solve this.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    recent thread had two turbo fans installed in the fog light holes venting to the cylinder heads claiming no more heat problems..yesterday or before. Have ordered some and will try it out and let everyone know..!!
    I read that thread and it did look very interesting. Would you mind sharing what fans you ordered and from where? I am thinking of doing the same thing on my RS.

2012 RS SE - White. Sport rack with Backrest, ISCI Armrests, Two Brothers Exhaust

Spyder Garage

Did I miss that one? Can you repost that link?

Spyder Garage

this is what i found on ebay under turbo fans,some diferent ones they work of the wind turning them so they wont help when stoped in less you are heded in to the wind.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I tell you that if you install the Titanium Heat wrap with a temperature sustainability of up too 2400 degrees, this will reduce the problems of sitting on a BBQ. I just completed mine and it took 64" 6" of material, which you install dry, and used both stainless steel hose clamps and stainless steel tie wraps to hold in place. Problem solved. It took me about four hours to complete after the Tupperware was removed, and I dropped the "y" pipe to wrap it. I would not say easy pezzy, but what a difference it makes.
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your helmet at 65 mph can double your vocabulary

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
    Insert a flex tube of some sort in the space between the cat converter and the gas tank. Do not allow it to touch. Vent it to an exhaust fan out the back to create negative pressure. Air should enter around the handlebar vent on the ST. Problem solved. Would someone be willing to try this? Maybe you could use a 1 1/4" radiator hose as a test. Does anyone have a photo of this area?
    Is that a cooling fan for a refrigerator in a RV? If it is, that is not going to provide any real cooling on a Spyder. They are used to create only a small updraft to the cooling fins on the back of the refer. They are meant to be very quiet, low power draw and create only a draft. I only ask this because that pic looks exactly like the fans I installed on my refer in my toyhauler.

Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk....
    Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Biosafena View Post
    Is that a cooling fan for a refrigerator in a RV? If it is, that is not going to provide any real cooling on a Spyder. They are used to create only a small updraft to the cooling fins on the back of the refer. They are meant to be very quiet, low power draw and create only a draft. I only ask this because that pic looks exactly like the fans I installed on my refer in my toyhauler.

Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk....
    Nah!. I just used that as an example. I just threw this out as an idea that needs to be looked at to see if its able to be done. Some naked pictures of an ST would be nice, especially the area around the cat converter and the bottom of the fuel tank. I just thought that air flow might be achieved under the skin from the handlebar vent to the back of the spyder by drawing it out with a 12volt exhaust fan located in the space near the rear tire. Without actually seeing if there is room I'm only brainstorming. I want to think there is a small space between where the pipe bend is and the bottom of the fuel tank. By using a flexible high temperature hose such as a radiator hose connected to a mini high speed 12volt fan, you might be able to get reasonable air flow by creating some vacuum under the skin. Again I'm only brainstorming. Would someone with an ST want to take some pictures to see if this is do-able?

Someone was talking about putting fans in the fog light holes. I missed that link. Can someone post it again?
    Last edited by OldDog; 06-29-2013 at 03:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

Why not order an ST radiator fan and see where you can squeeze that in? It's powerful and made to survive on a bike... I'd be surprised if most fans would survive on the road for long.

But I'm not really sure how much it'll change things either. If 85mph of wind against the front doesn't move enough air, I don't know how a fan will.
    Last edited by Sny; 06-29-2013 at 08:43 PM.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Default getting rid of heat

once again I will say that for what we pay for these and the profit they must make BRP should spend a few $ up front and ceramic coat the pipes and cat at the factory how much can it cost at that point in production THEY SHOULD AT LEAST SHOW AN EFFORT

Spyder Garage

Default Did it work?

Just wondered if you installed the turbo fans yet? Where did you order them from and what size?

Spyder Garage

Default Hmmmm

Didn't work for us - we even siliconed the wrap and added heat deflection sheets on the panels. Glad it worked for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 1VENOM View Post
    I tell you that if you install the Titanium Heat wrap with a temperature sustainability of up too 2400 degrees, this will reduce the problems of sitting on a BBQ. I just completed mine and it took 64" 6" of material, which you install dry, and used both stainless steel hose clamps and stainless steel tie wraps to hold in place. Problem solved. It took me about four hours to complete after the Tupperware was removed, and I dropped the "y" pipe to wrap it. I would not say easy pezzy, but what a difference it makes.

Spyder Garage

Default ???

Do you know where I could purchase an ST Radiator Fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post
    Why not order an ST radiator fan and see where you can squeeze that in? It's powerful and made to survive on a bike... I'd be surprised if most fans would survive on the road for long.

But I'm not really sure how much it'll change things either. If 85mph of wind against the front doesn't move enough air, I don't know how a fan will.

Spyder Garage

it would be cheaper to go on ebay and buy a small car fan and try and fit it in some of those small fans are as small or smaller than the spyder fans and will prouble work better .

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Post BRP Parts On-Line - you can order just about anything OEM for the Spyders

Quote Originally Posted by JacqueTanis View Post
    You can follow this link here:

http://parts.spyder.brp.com/Index.as..._id=1&siteid=1

709200409 Fan $99.99 USD Available

Spyder Garage

Exclamation Just a word of caution about unintended consequences

Quote Originally Posted by JacqueTanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    You can follow this link here:

http://parts.spyder.brp.com/Index.as..._id=1&siteid=1

709200409 Fan $99.99 USD Available

If your thinking of using the ST Radiator Fan as an auxilary fan to help disipate heat from the exhaust system, I fear it may lead to disaster. The shear size of the fan leads to all kinds of issues with a viable spot to install it, and second, its a plastic/polymer/??? fan made to withstand radiator temps. and while I'm far from being technically inclined in manners such as these, I'd fear the fan melting and possibly causing a fire or worse with the extreme heat it would be subjected to in dealing with the exhaust system. Maybe someone that is familiar with these parts and situations could chime in and offer some better guidance. I'd just hate to see something bad happen from unintended consequences

Spyder Garage

Default why?

Finding it difficult to understand why we should have to come up with designs or remedies to problems that shoud be resolved and payed for by the manufacture(BRP). After paying the amount of $$$ for the purchase of a new Spyder, and then having to pay more because there is a defect is "STUPIT". You would never think of having to do something like that with a brand new car, or other product. The only items a consumer should have to pay for are accessories, enhanced performance and the normal routing service
    2017 F3-S , circuit yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1VENOM View Post
    Any chance you would be willing to post a step-by-step for us novices? I would love to do this, but I've never tried to take all the Tupperware off Thanks!!

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Can't speak for everyone, but I think the simple answer is=Cause we want to ryde

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Finding it difficult to understand why we should have to come up with designs or remedies to problems that shoud be resolved and payed for by the manufacture(BRP). After paying the amount of $$$ for the purchase of a new Spyder, and then having to pay more because there is a defect is "STUPIT". You would never think of having to do something like that with a brand new car, or other product. The only items a consumer should have to pay for are accessories, enhanced performance and the normal routing service
    I totally agree with you

But, with that said, the heat issue doesn't effect ALL Spyders the same way, & if we all had to park our rydes and wait for BRP to come up with a viable fix, then wait for our dealers to get said fix implemented on all the effected Spyders, well, there'd be allot of folks paying good money for a sweet looking yard/garage ornament while they waited for their time in the shop to get the repair done. So, I think that may be one of the main reasons why many of those that are creative seek ways to correct an issue, to maybe make their rydes more suitable, tho temporary it may be, until BRP can come up with a fix (if they ever can) to the problem. That's just my opinion, and as I 1st stated, we shouldn't have to do anything like this for ourselves, but I know I'd rather try and be ryding than not try and watch my ryde sit and wait...... for who knows how long

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    This has been a problem for six years, they will not fix it until we stop buying their product,

Spyder Garage

RT and Happy. I have very minimal heat issues on my 2010 RT. I expect some heat because it has to go somewhere, just as my motorcycles do. They produce heat and you feel it when not moving down the highway. From all the complaints it must be an issue with the RS and ST's. I just wonder that at slow speed such as 10 mph or below, could the cooling fan on the radiator be reversed and blow back through the front to at least take the hot air away from the feet? At speed the fan doesn't run anyway. Might be worth a try.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Default ???

What kind of Turbo fans and where to I get them? Also, not a wrench - how do you "vent to the cylinder head?