Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I love cats

Spyder Garage

Default I love cats

I have a cat that loves to cuddle up and sleep on my Spyder at night while the Spyder is covered. I noticed three scratches in the paint from the cat climbing up the side under the cover to the seat. I have been unable to polish out the scratches as they are deep.
    Does anyone know how to keep a cat off a Spyder?
    I don't own a cat. The property at the resort has several feral cats that roam the property at night.
    Don't just dream the dream! Live the dream! Sent from my coconut using tap-a-nut. Spyderlovers Southern-Most Member.

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

get a watch dog to guard your spyder.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

I assume you are looking for a humane way and the only one I can think of is a live trap on the ground next to the Spyder with some cat food in it for bait.

There are also other ways to deal with the issue, but some people might not really like those options.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Fin View Post
    I have a cat that loves to cuddle up and sleep on my Spyder at night while the Spyder is covered. I noticed three scratches in the paint from the cat climbing up the side under the cover to the seat. I have been unable to polish out the scratches as they are deep.
    Does anyone know how to keep a cat off a Spyder?
    I don't own a cat. The property at the resort has several feral cats that roam the property at night.
    We own an outdoor cat and the spyder sits outside covered when not in use. I use a small amount of mothballs in a two margarine containers tucked into each A-arm opening. Seems to keep the cats off the spyder and also the mice from inside the spyder. When the spyder is in use I put the plastic lids back on the margarine containers to contain the smell. I do not put the covered containers in the frunk or storage compartments as they still smell when covered. Hope this helps

Spyder Garage

A cover is a simple solution. I would never leave my spyder outside without one.

Spyder Garage

Put some aluminum foil on the seat before you cover it. Cats hate that.

It's also good for keeping them off of counter tops.

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    We own an outdoor cat and the spyder sits outside covered when not in use. I use a small amount of mothballs in a two margarine containers tucked into each A-arm opening. Seems to keep the cats off the spyder and also the mice from inside the spyder. When the spyder is in use I put the plastic lids back on the margarine containers to contain the smell. I do not put the covered containers in the frunk or storage compartments as they still smell when covered. Hope this helps
    I will give the moth balls a try. We also have a lot of coons and possum here, so a trap would also get those critters. We have a big population of enviro wackos here that also would go nuts over the traps as some of the rats here on on the endangered species list as they have ears like Mickey Mouse.
    What would really be nice is a trap and permit to catch enviro wackos.
    Don't just dream the dream! Live the dream! Sent from my coconut using tap-a-nut. Spyderlovers Southern-Most Member.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I will give the moth balls a try. We also have a lot of coons and possum here, so a trap would also get those critters. We have a big population of enviro wackos here that also would go nuts over the traps as some of the rats here on on the endangered species list as they have ears like Mickey Mouse.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We have lots of enviro wakos here too. Right now its the whole provincial government and their wind turbines but that's whole other topic. I also use an electronic sonic mouse deterrent for indoor use and plug it in and tuck it up under the spyder where it will not get wet. I am not sure how it works for cats but it does help with the mothballs to keep the mice away.
    I just bought an electronic device called mouse blocker to keep mice away but just have not installed it in the spyder. Here is a link to it http://www.mouseblocker.com/products.../mouse-blocker

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    A cover is a simple solution. I would never leave my spyder outside without one.
    ...scratches in the paint from the cat climbing up the side under the cover to the seat...
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    Oops, read too fast didn't catch that. Sorry. I guess then I would suggest additional straps to make it harder for a cat or any other animal to fit under. A pain I know, but critters are always an issue outside. I have trouble with mice who love to eat my boat seats.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb You don't have to reinvent the wheel here - Teddy has a suggestion for ya ...........

Teddy had a couple of suggestions about your cat problem, but seeing as this IS a family forum, I told him to put his gun away, and go for a more humane solution

Seeing as your already using a cover, why not just place a couple simple little 'Mouse Traps' no bait even needed, on the seat under the cover. No one will be able to see them, along with the cat til he sets one off & it scares the out of him It won't be strong enough to really do any harm to a cat, and you may have to reset them a time or two, but I betcha, once bitten, kitty will be twice shy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try to mark your territory, my dog used this technique and I did it too.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

As a cat lover (I have three) Cinnamon says hello as I type this I recommend the moth balls or, as in another post, some cayenne pepper as a humane way to solve the problem. Feral cats are a bit different and are hard to tame or correct to other ways.

Use whatever methods you want on the enviro wackos. I worked for an organization with them, and glad that I retired.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-29-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This was mentioned in an earlier post about this problem...
    keep some cardboard in your frunk that you can fold into a "Vee", and leave on your seat when the bike isn't in use...
    (You might want to add some weight to the bottom so that they stay put...)
    If there's no room to land; they won't jump!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Try to mark your territory, my dog used this technique and I did it too.
    This is actually a very good suggestion and one of the few things you can do that an animal would respond to. I don't think human pee would work but if you can find a dog that would be willing to contribute to the cause...

Animals are very territorial and know enough not to tread on a superior animal's territory. This is why they mark.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And if you do that around your grille; the neighbors will leave it alone as well!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Put a real sheep skin rug over it. Mine have avoided the sheep skin rug for over 3 years and they freak out if you try to put them on it.

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

with the pepper. Have had problems with cats and this has worked well. I used black but cayanne should work as well.. Good luck and let us know what you try and how it works...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

There was a similar thread a little while back that I effectively killed with this suggestion. I've used this tip with great success:

This is cheap and simple: Get some of the plastic carpet protector. It comes on a big roll at Lowes or other home place. It has little points that keep it from sliding on the carpet. Put it pointy side up to keep kitty off. I used this for large potted plants and other places I don't want them. Works well.

You can get a long piece or two if needed and drape it across so it hangs down to the
    foot pegs.
    2016 RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    Put some aluminum foil on the seat before you cover it. Cats hate that.

It's also good for keeping them off of counter tops.
    yepper foil!
    I'd rather be on 3 wheels, but 18 pays the BILLs!
    We are a two SpYder family!

N1RDH

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I concur with the foil....it's very effective...I love my cats...but they crossed when they sprayed my robe... the foil spread is what I used to set them up...Works perfectly and really confusues them...Don't know what to do but run...Kinda like back in the 60's where there's a video showing a guy running around with a folded piece of foil over his head to reflect the aliens weapons to bounce back, zero in on him...That's what Lamont needs to do in the other thread....Take a big piece of foil and hold it folded over your head....reflect those negative vides back to them....I'm starting to think that you're being singled out ...They're noticing that the BBQ is getting bigger and bigger....Looking forward to seeing everybody.
    Last edited by Littlebadwolf; 05-29-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

We use SSSCAT from Pet Safe. It is a motion sensor activated can of compressed air. We place it near our closed bedroom door at night to keep our cats from scratching at the door. Works great. Harmless and safe. Scares the bejeebers out of the cat. Check out www.petsafe.net. Sold in Pet Smart stores. You could probably put it near the Spyder or on the seat.

pdt00-13914_a_2.jpg
    Last edited by bruiser; 05-29-2013 at 02:25 PM.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    We use SSSCAT from Pet Safe. It is a motion sensor activated can of compressed air. We place it near our closed bedroom door at night to keep our cats from scratching at the door. Works great. Harmless and safe. Scares the bejeebers out of the cat. Check out www.petsafe.net. Sold in Pet Smart stores. You could probably put it near the Spyder or on the seat.
    Thanks for the tip.....Sounds sensible to me....

Spyder Garage

I've got a cat bypass on my Spyder...Does that mean that cats will just go to the next one they see??
    2012 Spyder RT