Spyder Garage

Question Another Newbe Question

I have about 700 miles on a new 2013 RT Limited, most of it in the local area here in Texas. However, I have the opportunity to make a trip to Illinois for work and then on to Maggie Valley for the owner's event, finally returning to Texas. Total mileage is about 2500 over two weeks. 600 mile service is complete.

Since I am a rookie and part of this trip will be solo, I wanted to ask all of you great people for some advice regarding anything you can think of that would be helpful for me to pack and any traveling hints. For info, I am one up only and have an RT-622 trailer....space is not a problem. Will be using motels for sleeping.

I think maybe the first big hurdle is to determine how long my posterior holds up the first day......

Thought maybe someone might have a great list of stuff or a reference to a thread that might give me some good information. Any advice or help would be appreciated and I hope to meet some of you at Maggie Valley.
    Mike
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Mike!
    what do you figure your mileage totals will be for each day's ride? I had never done more than 400 miles in a day prior to headuing to Missouri for SpyderFest. I managed the 600 plus mile days pretty well... Way better than I thought that I would!
    Keep yourself hydrated...
    Fuel stops every 120 miles or so; don't try to stretch it too far; it'll be one less thing to worry about!
    LOTS of good sleep!
    Don't eat too much; a full belly can make you sleepy!
    Preparation will help you to remain confident and keep you from worrying about anything more than the traffic around you. That confidence gives you strength!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Use a good seat cushion when possible, Airhawk "R" or similar

Keep Hydrated

Print out a copy of "Spyders to the Rescue" in case you need some help

Relax and don't try to do more miles in one day than you feel comfortable with

Cruzr Joe

(See Spyders to the Rescue on the home page.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Talking

If possible start with a lower mileage day and add miles per day incrementally until you have a good idea of what works for you.

Basic tools - a search here will help identify what you need based on your mechanical and spyder familiarity.

The typical, other stuff. Flashlight, first aid kit, blanket.....commonsense items.

Most of all......allow enough time each day to enjoy yourself.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Coptermike,

Google "motorcycle packing lists" and you'll find many different opinions about what to pack.

On my last trip, I blew a fuse for the 12v outlet in the trunk. (The only problem I've ever had). I wish I had familiarized myself with the location and layout of the fuse block before I had an issue. If I would have pre-familiarized myself, it would have been a 5-minute fix.

I have toured on motorcycles for several years. In the beginning I over-packed. I pack much less now. Every year I look over my pack list and cross off the things that I've never used and probably never will. Unless you are going to Alaska or to some where desolate, anything you need but don't have is not very far away.

Bernie
    --
    RT-S (Blue) with Power Sports Wrap Racing Stripes
    BajaRon's Sway Bar
    Kewl Metal Gizmo Mount
    Rivco Flag Mounts
    NBV Highway Pegs

Spyder Garage

Hydration and taking your time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You may want to get a tire repair kit and compressor also some additional tools (if you know how to use them!) a quart of oil, spray cleaner (Original Bike Spirits) some microfiber cloths. Be sure to get a hitch lock for your trailer and it is a good idea to have a second lock so that you can detach the trailer and lock it at your hotel. A small package of those gel pod detergent thingies and some dryer sheets some people even bring a roll of quarters for the laundromat.

As for clothes set out what you think you will need then take a second look and you may be able to leave some of it at home. For the Owners Event you will not need anything but motorcycle riding clothes so don't take up a bunch of space with non riding clothes. I usually pack a small bag with my clothes and things that I need for travel days then I don't have to bring in everything I've packed each night.

Don't forget chargers for your electronics
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Clothes... you can always mail the dirty laundry home!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see..!!

Relax..take advantage of the fuel stops. Walk around stretch have plenty liquids. Pack for all kinds of weather. Carry some of the oil in your roadster and some gas. If handy the basic tools plug kit and air supply. You will be fine once you get on the road...enjoy..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I always car a patch kit and a compresser. Also oil and antifreeze in squee bottles.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Coptermike View Post
    I have about 700 miles on a new 2013 RT Limited, most of it in the local area here in Texas. However, I have the opportunity to make a trip to Illinois for work and then on to Maggie Valley for the owner's event, finally returning to Texas. Total mileage is about 2500 over two weeks. 600 mile service is complete.

Since I am a rookie and part of this trip will be solo, I wanted to ask all of you great people for some advice regarding anything you can think of that would be helpful for me to pack and any traveling hints. For info, I am one up only and have an RT-622 trailer....space is not a problem. Will be using motels for sleeping.

I think maybe the first big hurdle is to determine how long my posterior holds up the first day......

Thought maybe someone might have a great list of stuff or a reference to a thread that might give me some good information. Any advice or help would be appreciated and I hope to meet some of you at Maggie Valley.
    FRED RAU'S "MOTORCYCLE BIBLE"! everything you'll need to know for the basics of long distance riding.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi Mike!
    what do you figure your mileage totals will be for each day's ride? I had never done more than 400 miles in a day prior to headuing to Missouri for SpyderFest. I managed the 600 plus mile days pretty well... Way better than I thought that I would!
    Keep yourself hydrated...
    Fuel stops every 120 miles or so; don't try to stretch it too far; it'll be one less thing to worry about!
    LOTS of good sleep!
    Don't eat too much; a full belly can make you sleepy!
    Preparation will help you to remain confident and keep you from worrying about anything more than the traffic around you. That confidence gives you strength!
    Bob,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I don't think I should have to do more than 450 miles a day. Hydration seems to be a theme from everyone. Sleep is not a problem....I figure if I can still walk when I get off the Spyder, I can make it to the bed....
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You may want to get a tire repair kit and compressor also some additional tools (if you know how to use them!) a quart of oil, spray cleaner (Original Bike Spirits) some microfiber cloths. Be sure to get a hitch lock for your trailer and it is a good idea to have a second lock so that you can detach the trailer and lock it at your hotel. A small package of those gel pod detergent thingies and some dryer sheets some people even bring a roll of quarters for the laundromat.

As for clothes set out what you think you will need then take a second look and you may be able to leave some of it at home. For the Owners Event you will not need anything but motorcycle riding clothes so don't take up a bunch of space with non riding clothes. I usually pack a small bag with my clothes and things that I need for travel days then I don't have to bring in everything I've packed each night.

Don't forget chargers for your electronics
    Thanks good advice, especially about the chargers! Does anyone else wish everything could be charged by some sort of universal charger?. Any specific advice about the hitch lock and a secondary lock? Also, does anyone sell aftermarket cover for the trailer? BMPs price seems a bit high
    Mike

Registered Users northstarbrian's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hberninger View Post
    Coptermike,

Google "motorcycle packing lists" and you'll find many different opinions about what to pack.
    This is very smart advise. One thing I put in my bags when doing a 5000+ week ride other than what you will see is eye flush drops. It never fails when I ride I am ok, but when I am at some place that has lost of wind. (Wyoming) dust gets in your eyes. I have even gotten gas in my eyes one time. Your eyes are very important to you and it is important to listen to them. Examples: You have been riding for a while and yours eyes see a nice place to eat. Listen and go eat. Your eyes see your gas is getting low or your reaching 125 miles (fill up). Your eyes are getting heavy (stop and rest). Your eyes are your first line so keep them happy.
    ~Northstarbrian

His: 2003 100yr Anniversary Heritage Softail Classic Harley & 2004 V-Star 1100 solo.

Hers: 2010 Spyder RT Silver
    - custom flame graphics courtesy of powersportwraps.com
    - ISCI Hand-break - BajaRon Sway-bar - 2012 front shocks

Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle packing list

Copter Mike

I use the checklist from micapeak.com to take my road trips.

My next venture is: July & August, 7 national parks, 10 states, includes Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Las Vegas, Sturgis, Mt. Rushmore, & more. 4,000 miles.

You read it here first.

Test message.

2016 Spyder RT

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Teddy & I would like to say Congrats on the New Ryde & Welcome to the SpyderHood

Highly suggest reading thru this thread, its got alot of good and useful info for newer Spyder Owners
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners

Also, if you have enough time, I'd suggest ordering a Utopia Backrest and install it before your long trip, if at all possible. It is totally worth the price and will help alot. Also, again if you have time, get some type of highway peg or floor-boards installed, as having multiple positions to put your feet, legs and ankles will greatly help with your knees, butt and back getting all twisted up in uncomfortable knotts. Always try to keep your legs moving while on long distance rydes, otherwise, they will get sore fast.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    Highly suggest reading thru this thread, its got alot of good and useful info for newer Spyder Owners
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners

Also, if you have enough time, I'd suggest ordering a Utopia Backrest and install it before your long trip, if at all possible. It is totally worth the price and will help alot. Also, again if you have time, get some type of highway peg or floor-boards installed, as having multiple positions to put your feet, legs and ankles will greatly help with your knees, butt and back getting all twisted up in uncomfortable knotts. Always try to keep your legs moving while on long distance rydes, otherwise, they will get sore fast.

Thanks for the other thread as well. I have read through that document several times. Great reading. I will look into a back rest at least...thought I could probably see some of these other accessories (foot pegs, etc) at the Maggie Valley event.

Thanks
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Air Force PAO View Post
    Copter Mike

I use the checklist from micapeak.com to take my road trips.

My next venture is: July & August, 7 national parks, 10 states, includes Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Las Vegas, Sturgis, Mt. Rushmore, & more. 4,000 miles.

You read it here first.
    I will check that one out!

What a trip! Thanks for the encouragement.....if you can do I can do it
    Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If your sort out all these suggested stuff then you'll be alright but one thing you don't forget is wet ones.

Wet ones have many uses JMHO.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Coptermike View Post
    Thanks good advice, especially about the chargers! Does anyone else wish everything could be charged by some sort of universal charger?. Any specific advice about the hitch lock and a secondary lock? Also, does anyone sell aftermarket cover for the trailer? BMPs price seems a bit high
    You should be able to find the hitch lock at a hardware store or even Walmart. Mine has a pin and a small lock that slides onto the pin. The other lock I use is about 3' long cable with a lock on the end I put it through the wheels it I can't lock it to something else like a light post. Check out bicycle locks for one like it mine was a Buell MC lock.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622