Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy Over Heating at 197mi

What the heck! My brand new 2013 RSS Se5 is overheating and going into Limp Mode. She did it on a 2mile ride at 68F and yesterday it actually shut down once and went into Limp mode 3X. This is sucking every bit of joy out of my new ride.
    Can anyone tell me what is going on?
    Did they forget to do something or leave something in the coooling system covered when they built it out of the crate?

Spyder Garage

The real experts will probably on here shortly, but I would suggest leaving it sit until you get more information. It sounds like the cooling system is extremlly low coolant to me. You could ruin the engine. Experts...Dealer prep???Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Oldm...

I was hoping to gain some knowledge of possible scenarios before I tear my dealer a new one. I see you are in Ohio. I got the bike at Powersport in Huron, Ohio. Do you know anything about them? I'm 2 hours ride away in Dexter Mi--so may have to rely on the local Can Am dealer in Mi

Spyder Garage

Talking

Low coolant or the thermostat is stuck closed. Those are my first thoughts. But, you really should call the dealer. Did they not test run it before delivery?

Edit:
    Second thought. Is the radiator fan working? At that ambient temp it most likely wouldn't come on, unless you were setting at idle for some time.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 05-15-2013 at 08:21 AM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Arrow Jerbear

The guy/salesperson brought it around front. I think tha might have been the extent of the test run, other than me riding around parking lots and side roads to get the feel of the bike. I wish I knew more about engines...I guess this is going to be a steep learning curve.
    I will be on the phone shortly...

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Agreed that this sucks but alas, not unheard of. As has been preached on here for as long as Teddy & I have been around, proper DEALER PREP can make or brake these bykes and your over all satisfaction

We have an 11 RT-S so I'm not all that familiar with the new RSSs, but I do recall reading about some Spyders in the past where proper dealer prep was unheard of, and a few had overheating problems stemming from the Fuse for the cooling fan NOT being seated.

When your temp gauge reaches 5 bars (at least on RS/RT models) you should hear and feel your radiator fan kick on. If this doesn't occur, then I'd check in your owners manual for which fuse controls the radiator fan, and double check to make sure it is securely seated I'm not saying this IS or ISN'T the case for you, just something for you to check tho

Good luck and we hope you get this figured out sooner than later and are back on the road again with nothing but Miles of Smiles ahead

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by spyder-mumba View Post
    I guess this is going to be a steep learning curve.
    Suggestion. When you have the time. Read your owners manual from cover to cover. Then, with it in hand spend some time locating everything on the spyder. Fuses, coolant tank, etc. Then the next time you need to go there it won't be NEW to you. Just a suggestion.

And, have you read this http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Check coolant level, fan relay, make sure the cap on the coolant tank is tight, there are 2 notches to go past. Do not add tap water to top off the tank, bad things could happen.

john

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default sounds like some one/thing is

I wonder when dealers, technicians and sales people are going to ever learn that the first 24 hours after a sale will make or break a good customer relationship?

Just for giggles go take a flash light and look to see if you can spot a stray piece of plastic or paper hanging loose in the front of the radiator(s). If you do you need to ream the dealer a new one!

Know you want to ride. Your new toy but right now it is sick and you really need to park it.

Is this your first Spyder I don't remember from your post?

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your bad exprience out of the box. The suggestions for checking the various things that affect cooling issues are right on. Please let us know what you find, and how it goes.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

did your spyder have any miles on it when they turned it over to you? if it didn't, pretty good chance they never took it for a test ride. I asked why mine had 9 miles on it, and was happy with the reply!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Over Heating at 197mi

Agree on the fan relay, coolant level and thermostat. Some dealers take um out of the box and prep them right, others are careless. It feels major, but I assure you this issue will only take a second to diagnose. Definitely let the dealer deal with it. We could walk you through it if you were out of warranty etc, but it's new.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    did your spyder have any miles on it when they turned it over to you? if it didn't, pretty good chance they never took it for a test ride. I asked why mine had 9 miles on it, and was happy with the reply!!!
    I know in the past I've had to fight the urge to want a brand-new vehicle with no miles on it, but in the end I've always relented: those first 10-20 miles of dealer testing is *essential*. Better they discover they goofed than *I* discover they goofed.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Let's put it this way...if the dealer caused it by poorly prepping it, he may pay better attention next time if he has to come with a trailer and pick it up, then return it in working order. I'd insist that he do just that...with maybe a goody or two thrown in for good measure.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Question

The guy/salesperson brought it around front. I think tha might have been the extent of the test run, other than me riding around parking lots and side roads to get the feel of the bike. I wish I knew more about engines...I guess this is going to be a steep learning curve.
    PM sent this AM

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Update on Overheating

At Jerbear's suggestion I am keeping you all up to date on my very frustrating 4 days.

Still Spyder-less
    Local dealer has no vested interest in getting me back on the road. I had it towed to them early Thursday and they still have not had it up on the bench. I called my salesperson 4 times since the tow with no reply. I ended up calling BRP directly and I now am on file with a reference number. (whoo-hoo!) BRP stated that there is nothing they can do to expedite the service to my Spyder but the dealer can quote the reference number should they not be able to trouble shoot the problem wth the overheating. This is extremely frustrating as a customer, no one is willing to take any action/responsibilty for the issue at hand. My next course of action is a drive up to the service department with a case of beer
    I am not a very demanding type and understand that mistakes happen, but this is getting a little out of hand.

Since this post I have tried in vain to make contact with the dealership manager in Ohio, and have called BRP directly with absolutely no results.
    The service department were the bike was towed is yet to even look at it. Really frustrating...
    Hitting my head against a wall does not even come close. I have never encountered such deplorable customer service.
    That being said I still love my Spyder, just wish I never have to deal with any of these people again. I will definitely be learning everything I can about my Spyder

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I would consider another dealer. The issues sound dealer related as mentioned and probably not serious. I would go to the dealer and wait for it to be repaired. I surely wouldn't take them beer, it sounds like they have some already.

Spyder Garage

Time to make an appointment and talk to the dealership's owner. No customer should be treated like that! If the owner doesn't agree, he is not much of a businessman. They should be busting their butts to make you happy.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about the problem, but YES FIND ANOTHER DEALER. Probe the minds of Spyder riders on the site, perhaps someone else has experienced this as well. Worth a shot. Good luck !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Time to make an appointment and talk to the dealership's owner. No customer should be treated like that! If the owner doesn't agree, he is not much of a businessman. They should be busting their butts to make you happy.
    That is definitely the approach I would be taking with this.

I wish you the best of luck in getting the problem resolved sooner than later.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

At Jerbear's suggestion I am keeping you all up to date on my very frustrating 4 days.

Still Spyder-less
    Local dealer has no vested interest in getting me back on the road. I had it towed to them early Thursday and they still have not had it up on the bench. I called my salesperson 4 times since the tow with no reply. I ended up calling BRP directly and I now am on file with a reference number. (whoo-hoo!) BRP stated that there is nothing they can do to expedite the service to my Spyder but the dealer can quote the reference number should they not be able to trouble shoot the problem wth the overheating. This is extremely frustrating as a customer, no one is willing to take any action/responsibilty for the issue at hand. My next course of action is a drive up to the service department with a case of beer
    I am not a very demanding type and understand that mistakes happen, but this is getting a little out of hand.

Since this post I have tried in vain to make contact with the dealership manager in Ohio, and have called BRP directly with absolutely no results.
    The service department were the bike was towed is yet to even look at it. Really frustrating...
    Hitting my head against a wall does not even come close. I have never encountered such deplorable customer service.
    That being said I still love my Spyder, just wish I never have to deal with any of these people again. I will definitely be learning everything I can about my Spyder
    Persistence. Just don't let it get the best of you.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default IT WAS THE THERMOSTAT

Thank you everyone!
    It turns out that it was the thermostat that was the cause of the overheating
    Got her back today
    Looking forward going for a long peaceful ride this weekend

Great riding to all

Spyder Garage

Talking

Thank you everyone!
    It turns out that it was the thermostat that was the cause of the overheating
    Got her back today
    Looking forward going for a long peaceful ride this weekend

Great riding to all

Glad it is fixed.

Happy riding.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

THERMOSTAT...?....ON A NEW MACHINE...????...!!!!

Spyder Garage

What the heck! My brand new 2013 RSS Se5 is overheating and going into Limp Mode. She did it on a 2mile ride at 68F and yesterday it actually shut down once and went into Limp mode 3X. This is sucking every bit of joy out of my new ride.
    Can anyone tell me what is going on?
    Did they forget to do something or leave something in the coooling system covered when they built it out of the crate?
    I would call the dealer and tell him the problems you are having. Ask them to pick it up, fix the problem, and return it. At BRP expense.

Mike