Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What are Advanages of running Car tires vs Kandas tires ?

I'm getting ready to put front tires on my I have 32,000 + miles on the front Kanda tires. You cannot fine a directioinal car tire in the 14" wheel size. I want to know what are the advanages and disadvanages of running car tires. What air pressure do you run in the car tires. Is the handling any better? I have bajaron sway bar and elkas shocks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you got that much mileage out of the OEMs up front; I'd seriously consider sticking with them!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fispyder View Post
    I'm getting ready to put front tires on my I have 32,000 + miles on the front Kanda tires. You cannot fine a directioinal car tire in the 14" wheel size. I want to know what are the advanages and disadvanages of running car tires. What air pressure do you run in the car tires. Is the handling any better? I have bajaron sway bar and elkas shocks.

I just talked to my tire dealer about this last week, I ordered the new 2013 15inch wheels for my 2011 rt limited. I asked him about people running car tires on Spyders and he told me it`s a very bad idea. The car tire bead is not going to be the same as a Kenda tire`s bead and because of this the car tire cant seat properly on the spyder wheel. This dealer has been in the tire business for 42 years and his motorcycle mechanic has been in the business just as long. They do most of the Spyder work here and are very knowledgeable in this stuff. Mounting a car tire on a Spyder wheel can cause a side blow out and that can be very bad. I know a lot of people here run car tires on their bikes this is just info from a very respected dealer...do your home work and be safe.
    Love the 3 wheels way of life

2011 RT Limited

Mods

Custom vinyl wrap
    Two brothers exhaust
    custom glo riders
    carbon fiber dash kit(orange)
    2013 15 inch wheels powder coated orange
    all factory castings powder coated orange
    Elka's
    Baha Ron sway bar(will be powder coated orange next winter)
    Spyder pops (every thing he has for the rt)
    Lamonts hiway pegs

Spyder Garage

I run a kumo Esta on my back tire and my tire dealer is both my brother in-law and just retired after 50 years in his own buisness and location. There was absolutely no difference on the tires when compared side by side and he had no issues with using it on the back tire as the the tires on the RT undergo the same forces as a car while driving.

I am sure we all have an opinion so the best would be to canvas the owners that now use automotive tires on their bikes. I have noticed no issues what so ever by using the Kumo Esta for the last 5000 miles and the tread shows no significant wear. The design of the tire allows for more air pressure without center buldge so I run 30 PSI.

Lets hear what other actual users have to add:

Regards,

Randy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On my 2010 RT I stuck with the Kenda's on the front and I agree witIh Bob Denman that if you got that high of mileage why switch? I also ran the Kumho Ecsta on the rear and agree with Bluestratos on the rear that they are the exact same . I never had any problems running this combo on mine and I saved quite a bit of money using the Kumho and doing the tire changes at home vs the dealer.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Post More Questions

​Spyderrocks post brought several question to the surface and I wonder who has the answers?

1. Why use a directional tire and rotate it because if you move them side to side they are running the opposite directions. Unless you dismount the and remount them on the different wheel. That is a lot of labor and expense.

2. Why would the tire side bead be a problem? The beads only purpose is the hold the tire on the rim and provide a sealing surface to hold the air pressure in.

3. Why would an automotive tire at the same speed rating, running on a 900# Spyder be more susceptible to side wall blowout then if it were mounted on a 3,000# car chassis driven down the same road?

I am curious and inquisitive?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The handeling is nite and day differance with car tires and at triple the miles that my OEM tires were gone my michlen s are 95% do what you want I'll take my steel belted longer wearing better handeling car tires any day
    2 happy happy spyders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    On my 2010 RT I stuck with the Kenda's on the front and I agree witIh Bob Denman that if you got that high of mileage why switch? I also ran the Kumho Ecsta on the rear and agree with Bluestratos on the rear that they are the exact same .
    Anne,
    I hate to keep bugging you with questions; but this one is actually pertinent to the discussion at hand!
    How have you liked the Kumho on the rear wheel? I'm having one installed this Month after trying a Falken, and I'm curious of what to expect.
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default vss

According to the user manual the vehicle stability system is calibrated to the stock tire

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Anne,
    I hate to keep bugging you with questions; but this one is actually pertinent to the discussion at hand!
    How have you liked the Kumho on the rear wheel? I'm having one installed this Month after trying a Falken, and I'm curious of what to expect.
    Thanks!
    I'm running the Kumho on my RT, and only noticed slight differences from the oem Kenda ...which I attribute to the stiffer sidewalls. I wouldn't expect it to be much different than that Falken thing you had on yours.
    Pete

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Our 'Tardis' 2011 RT SE5 A/C Orbital Blue & 622 Trailer
    HMT Brake Lt, KewlMetal Hwy Brkts, Corbin Seat w/heat & backrest, Custom Dynamics Fender Tips & Mudflap LEDs, Gorilla Alarm, Stebel Horn, Xenon Depot HID Kit, SpyderPOPS Radiator block & BumpSkid, RumblingPride TCM flag mts, Elkas, BRP Fogs, Garmin 665, Alaskan Leather ButtPads, Gremlin Bell, GripBuddies, his/her htd gear power jacks, KewlMetal Perf Air Intake, BajaRon plugs/wires & Anti-Sway Bar, Baker Belt Stabilizer, Baker Mug.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderrock View Post
    I just talked to my tire dealer about this last week, I ordered the new 2013 15inch wheels for my 2011 rt limited. I asked him about people running car tires on Spyders and he told me it`s a very bad idea. The car tire bead is not going to be the same as a Kenda tire`s bead and because of this the car tire cant seat properly on the spyder wheel. This dealer has been in the tire business for 42 years and his motorcycle mechanic has been in the business just as long. They do most of the Spyder work here and are very knowledgeable in this stuff. Mounting a car tire on a Spyder wheel can cause a side blow out and that can be very bad. I know a lot of people here run car tires on their bikes this is just info from a very respected dealer...do your home work and be safe.
    I have been running car tires on all three wheels with ZERO issues plus the added bonus of increased wear mileage and better handling. I'm afraid your dealer may be drinking too much purple BRP Kool Aid.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Spyder Garage

Anne,
    Thanks!
    Bob, I didn't answer your question in the other thread, but since you brought up having your tire changed, I'll do it here. It took all of ten minutes to open my frunk, pop one of those small panels, and plug in the computer for the BUDS. I don't see why your dealer wouldn't do the same for you.

Chris

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GREAT MILEAGE NUBER

If you got that much mileage out of the OEMs up front; I'd seriously consider sticking with them!
    Bob, the 32,000 miles he says he got has really nothing to do with the ACTUAL tires he was using......If you have perfect or almost perfect ALIGNMENT you will also get incredible mileage from almost any tire on a Spyder......Had they been say General Altimax , or Michelin's etc. He might get 55,000 thousand miles. It's bad alignment that wears these tires out ......IMHO.....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-12-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default THIS IDEA

Really......Try mounting a GENUINE MOTORCYCLE TIRE on a Spyder Rim and see what happens..............I have done my homework and Im not concerned about car tires on Spyder rims......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default AND DON'T FORGET THIS !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spydercatjohn View Post
    According to the user manual the vehicle stability system is calibrated to the stock tire
    AND,The only air you can put in your tires is BRP air which can only be purchased at a DEALER .........................Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KCPete View Post
    I'm running the Kumho on my RT, and only noticed slight differences from the oem Kenda ...which I attribute to the stiffer sidewalls. I wouldn't expect it to be much different than that Falken thing you had on yours.
    Pete
    Thanks Pete! Did you guys get recuperated from the big shindig yet?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    I run a kumo Esta on my back tire and my tire dealer is both my brother in-law and just retired after 50 years in his own buisness and location. There was absolutely no difference on the tires when compared side by side and he had no issues with using it on the back tire as the the tires on the RT undergo the same forces as a car while driving.

I am sure we all have an opinion so the best would be to canvas the owners that now use automotive tires on their bikes. I have noticed no issues what so ever by using the Kumo Esta for the last 5000 miles and the tread shows no significant wear. The design of the tire allows for more air pressure without center buldge so I run 30 PSI.

Lets hear what other actual users have to add:

Regards,

Randy

Well Randy I apologize for (Not Being an Actual Owner) of a Car tire On a motorcycle. I just relayed some info from the owner of OK Tire who has been in the motorcycle and truck and passenger tire business im guessing most of his life. I dont think anyone here is a tire engineer and if there is please speak up. I also look at it from a DOT department of Transportation side of things. If someone is in an crash on a Spyder and they are running car tires which by law are not approved for Motorcycles the insurance companies will probably eat you up.

And to Kinggeek this was NOT a brp dealer who gave me this info read my post.
    Love the 3 wheels way of life

2011 RT Limited

Mods

Custom vinyl wrap
    Two brothers exhaust
    custom glo riders
    carbon fiber dash kit(orange)
    2013 15 inch wheels powder coated orange
    all factory castings powder coated orange
    Elka's
    Baha Ron sway bar(will be powder coated orange next winter)
    Spyder pops (every thing he has for the rt)
    Lamonts hiway pegs

Spyder Garage

Well Randy I apologize for (Not Being an Actual Owner) of a Car tire On a motorcycle. I just relayed some info from the owner of OK Tire who has been in the motorcycle and truck and passenger tire business im guessing most of his life. I dont think anyone here is a tire engineer and if there is please speak up. I also look at it from a DOT department of Transportation side of things. If someone is in an crash on a Spyder and they are running car tires which by law are not approved for Motorcycles the insurance companies will probably eat you up.

And to Kinggeek this was NOT a brp dealer who gave me this info read my post.
    Apologies, I missed the 'tire dealer' part of your message. Everyone is entitled to an opinion I am just trying to relay my experiences. I have run nearly 17000 miles on my car tires. The fronts look brand new and he rear that was less than half the cost of the stock still has life in it. The stock rear was bald at 12000. I will never go back to stock tires, the car tires just make more sense. IMHO
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Spyder Garage

It never ceases to amaze me the completely false information that some are willing to propagate in an effort to sway opinion. I am aware that many may simply be repeating what they heard from what they feel is a reliable source, and I don't necessarily blame them.

There may be legitimate reasons to debate this OEM vs Car Tire issue, but this is definitely a non-starter.

I have had a total of 4 car tires on my Spyder. 100% of them had no bead issues, sealing issues, or any other kind of issue. I am not surprised as the OEM tire is a Car tire in design and construction with the exception that it is built with 2 tread belts instead of 4 (as is the case with a normal car tire).

I found that the car tires wear longer, have a better footprint at speed and a better wear pattern, don't roll under as badly as the OEM tires, cost less and have 4 ply steel belts in the tread area as opposed to 2 ply steel on the OEM tire.

For me, the car tire is the way to go. But the fact is that running the OEM tire is a very reasonable option as well.

The bottom line is, having actually facts upon which to base your decision is by far the better way to go.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-13-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default THE MYSTICAL...MAGIGICAL...UNBELIEVABLE TIRE MYTH THING

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me the completely false information that some are willing to propagate in an effort to sway opinion. I am aware that many may simply be repeating what they heard from what they feel is a reliable source, and I don't necessarily blame them.

There may be legitimate reasons to debate this OEM vs Car Tire issue, but this is definitely a non-starter.

I have had a total of 4 car tires on my Spyder. 100% of them had no bead issues, sealing issues, or any other kind of issue. I am not surprised as the OEM tire is a Car tire in design and construction with the exception that it is built with too few tread belts to be used on a full size car.

I found that the car tires wear longer, have a better footprint at speed and a better wear pattern, don't roll under as badly as the OEM tires, cost less and have 4 ply steel belts in the tread area as opposed to 2 ply steel on the OEM tire.

For me, the car tire is the way to go. But the fact is that running the OEM tire is a very reasonable option as well.

The bottom line is, having actually facts upon which to base your decision is by far the better way to go.
    Ron, I agree with you 200 %, and have said so a " skjillion " times .....But we are beating a and that's all there is to it......."SWAY BARS RULE" , and people don't believe or understand that either......................Mike

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Last edited by CyncySpyder; 05-13-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Spyder Garage

Since my son is in the tire business, I can pick what I what. I will be changing the rear real soon and I am picking the tire 2nd from the right.Sept 2012 Cruise and misc 319.JPGThat's a Toyo Proxes 4 and all of those are rears for spyders. Dave in the pic above is what I,m running on the front.
    Last edited by rnet; 05-13-2013 at 11:15 AM.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ron,
    You must feel like a kid in a Candy Store at Christmastime...

Spyder Garage

Ron,
    You must feel like a kid in a Candy Store at Christmastime...
    Bob there is your Kumho sitting right next to it.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

I have Bridgestone potenza tires on the front and a kumho esta on the rear. I have had excellent results with these tires. The fronts have about 20000 miles and show little wear. A fellow RT rider helped me evaluate these tires. He had input on the new Spyder sway bars and has has built front ends for race cars. We rode about 20 miles on a curvy road at a good speed to bring the tires up to operating tempt.
    We did 3 tempt checks on each tire at left, right and center . His stock tires showed even as my tires. This shows proper inflation for our tires. The air tempt was 95. His stock tires showed temps on the check of 115 and my bridgestones 105. His stock tires were running 10 degrees hotter than my tires.
    I took a solo tour to northern Calif. from Ga last july and and had temps in areas, such as South Dakota
    exceed 104. Tires did great. Rode a vary of roads. In the last few years I have made this 8000 mile trip on 3 different bikes, Gold Wing ST1300 and the RT and felt less fatigue and safer on the RT.
    Leaving Spyder fest this year we rode into heavy rain several times and near Jasper Alabama we hit the eye of the storm. We had heavy hail with sizes above marbles. I ended up riding on through the storm with the tires and nanny doing their job. Going to Spyder fest I used about a half gallon of gas less at each stop than my friend. Main difference in the setup of the 2 bikes was tires.
    This is my choice and not everyones.
    Jerry

Jerry
    Last edited by jeromeb; 05-13-2013 at 12:25 PM.