Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Those look awesome!!! So glad someone is finally plasti dipping Spyders! I've been experimenting with Plasti Dip for a bit, but haven't yet took the plunge to do the whole bike....yet.

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    I've never really been an adventurous ............ oh wait....... skydiving ........... being married to my Ex ............ giving up living on the beach to live in Cincy ............. Never mind, I'm a gluton for punishment

So anyways, not leaving well enough alone, I was at the auto parts store when this can on the shelf just jumped out at me and I couldn't resist & picked up the only 3 that they had. Its the color changing paint, Galaxy Blue so its all kinds of different colors depending on the way the light hits it, tho it looks more of a dark blue/purple than anything else. It really caught my eye

So I figured I'd try it OVER the plasti-dip and see how well it worked, if it all. Directions say to apply over a black substrate, so black plasti-dip should work fine. In further research, I'm not so sure tho, as others that have tried coloring over plasti-dip have had various results. Seems, most paint that is added OVER the dip needs to have a flixible chemical added to it before being sprayed on, otherwise the dip looses is flexibility and then doesn't peel off as easily as normal.

I couldn't help myself tho, and had to give this a try. The color changing stuff goes on almost totally clear, but even after one coat, the color is very dramatic & it suggests 3 coats, with more dramatic effects with the more coats added. I did a total of 4 coats on the front rims over the 4 coats of black plasti-dip. The wheels, under the lights of the garage, looked ................................ WOW!!! Different for sure. Not so sure tho how the color scheme is going to look all together tho, with Teds Sled now being Red & Black for the most part, and now the front rims are going to be the color changing Dark Crystally Blue/Deep Purple hue with many others thrown in, but we'll see.

I DIdn't get finished & reinstalled until 8pm last night, and went to go for a quick test run & it started raining. So I have to wait til I get home from work today to take it out in the light and see what it really looks like. Should be different, that's for sure

I did a test piece on one of the passenger floor boards that was coated in the Black Bed-Liner, but wasn't sold on that look. Asked my buddy, and he agreed, no go. But then he's the one that suggested it would look good on the rims, and then to better tie it all together, I'm building a back-seat "throne" for Teddy out of FiberGlass, and he suggested painting it the same color-changing paint, to tie it all in. So, we'll see
    ---------
    Jive
    Beckley, WV
    2012 Pure Magnesium Metallic Spyder RTS SM5, SpyderPops Belt Guard

Spyder Garage

Very good job! How many cans did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Pablito View Post
    Ok Y'all i promised pics of it when I was done and i was actually done with it and had the few pieces that I took off back on Saturday Morning but i couldn't upload pics from my phone here and have been out riding since the last panel went back on :-) I LOVE IT and I LOVE the new much more aggressive attitude my Spyder now has. You will notice that I Made the rear tail section and rear fender black that wasn't the original plan but I ran out of red and had to order another can. However I really like it black and think I'm going to leave it just like that just meaner looking to me. The best thing is if I change my mind i peel it off and paint it red... Need to rip the back wheel off and make it black and of course those foot peg mount too sounds like I have a project for this week :-)

Already thinking about my next color scheme thinking I'm going to change it up every 6 months or so hehe

---------
    Jive
    Beckley, WV
    2012 Pure Magnesium Metallic Spyder RTS SM5, SpyderPops Belt Guard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NoJive View Post
    Very good job! How many cans did you use?
    Thank you, I went through 1 can of white to use as base coat then 4 cans red for the body parts and two cans of black for the wheels, rear tail section, rear fender, and handle bar covers

Spyder Garage

very very very nice job

and thanks for the detailed thread

I have been thinking about changing the color of my Silver RT-S.... I've seen a couple of purple Challengers and I would really like that color......

but I am so afraid that I would screw it up

you've given me some confidence......
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

I'm about ready to have Teddy get started on doing his bars and foot-peg supports. Couple of questions for you about this.

Since we're going over drab grey metal castings and not nice shiny painted body panels, do you think going over them with the black Plasti-Dip without the white bottom coat would work well? I'm thinking so, cause we're not going to be trying to cover another bright color like in your application, but figured it couldn't hurt to get your take on it

Also, & this is kinda off the wall and out there, but while at Ace the other day, I noticed that you can now buy that chamelian color changing paint in rattle cans just like any other paint. Tho the price compared to regular paint was a bit shocking, something like $19-$26 a can depending on flavor of the base color. But I thought it would be really neat to see what a chamelian painted Spyder might look like, but wouldn't want to take the chance & then maybe not like it but be stuck because its actual paint, so its a somewhat permanant solution. Here's my thought tho.

What if a person was to first Plasti-Dip which ever body panels they wanted to paint. Do you think the paint would be able to adhere to the dip, maybe needing a light sanding or something? I know this is a long shot, but would be neat to be able to try a bunch of different color schemes but always keeping your stock panels protected and intact.
    Check out this site.

http://www.alsacorp.com/

J. D.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

WOW

they have the shade of purple I want
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

I have been thinking of personalizing my WebRyder and since I don't believe I would physically be able to do a wrap I have been looking at options. I figuer I will want a mixture of colors possible like fish/dragon scales. I found this video about doing camo and how it comes off even when you mix colors....

So that idea should work and I saw this video of faking carbon fiber....

So I was thinking if I did a mix of colors combining these concepts I might end up with a scale effect. I tried the idea with Gimp and it seems if I can get the right colors it might work. Has anyone tried something like this?
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default amaze

Great Stuff Here! My brother will be glad the things I discovered here.... Being creative is really cool!

By the way there is a cool site online ... Just thought I would like to share... Dani's List... Enjoy!

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Post Thought I'd post this here as not everyone follows Teddys Adventures Thread

As you can see from this pic, we've been playing a little more with the Plasti-Dip. Thought I'd share a few of our observations with y'all. I thought the black on the Frunk Hood and head-light mask made Teds Red Sled look a little too 'Mean/Menacing' and noticed some peeling where-ever the body panels overlapped, like the Frunk Hood and the bottom of the Head-Light mask, so I thought I'd de-mask Teds Sled and see how well it would come off.

Here you can see where the parts rubbed, and caused the peeling of the plasti-dip, tho it was not able to be seen unless the Frunk Hood was opened.

So I went about removing the plasti-dip coating from the Headlight Mask, and it came off very easily in pretty large sections, as you can see here in this pic. I did have to rub back and forth with my finger over the really small sections like the sides of the plastic that was coated with the Plasti-Dip, but it easily rubbed right off.

It all came off nice and clean, with no sticky residue left behind. I decided to leave the 2 small indentions in black as accents for the Headlight Mask, and really like how it works together and isn't so 'Mean' looking now

As for the wheels, the color changing paint being mostly blue/purple didn't really go with the color scheme of Red & Black with some Chrome thrown in, and when I tried removing it, found like I thought, it was hardened and would be a bear. So instead of fighting it, I just applied another 2 coates of the black Plasti-Dip right over top, and that worked like a charm and you can't tell there's any other color on the rims besides black and we're really happy with it.

We'll probably be adding some more black accents to other parts of the Sled as I get time, and will also coat one set of the Glo-Ryder bases in Red Plasti-Dip, should make them show up well on the black rims now

Spyder Garage

I did the wheels on my trailer to match my 2013 RT-S. Any suggestions on how to remove the plasti dip where the spyder emblem or whatever that thing is in the center of the wheel? I guess what I'm asking is if I take my knife and cut around that small circle, am I opening up a can of worms for the remainder to start peeling off?

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I did the wheels on my trailer to match my 2013 RT-S. Any suggestions on how to remove the plasti dip where the spyder emblem or whatever that thing is in the center of the wheel? I guess what I'm asking is if I take my knife and cut around that small circle, am I opening up a can of worms for the remainder to start peeling off?

Chris
    A pic would help but if it is like the emblem on the frunk then just start it peeling in the middle of the emblem and the edges around the emblem should separate with a clean edge if you have enough coats.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

Default kameleon colr

A half pint of Kameleon color can cost atleast $300. You will also need a base color under it first. Dont forget the clear and harder.

I plan to paint my next bike kameleon color--but then I also sell car paint. It will be about two years before I get a chance to do it. But then I am a female, so I may change my mind. I am thinking either blue to purple or green to purple.

I'm about ready to have Teddy get started on doing his bars and foot-peg supports. Couple of questions for you about this.

Since we're going over drab grey metal castings and not nice shiny painted body panels, do you think going over them with the black Plasti-Dip without the white bottom coat would work well? I'm thinking so, cause we're not going to be trying to cover another bright color like in your application, but figured it couldn't hurt to get your take on it

Also, & this is kinda off the wall and out there, but while at Ace the other day, I noticed that you can now buy that chamelian color changing paint in rattle cans just like any other paint. Tho the price compared to regular paint was a bit shocking, something like $19-$26 a can depending on flavor of the base color. But I thought it would be really neat to see what a chamelian painted Spyder might look like, but wouldn't want to take the chance & then maybe not like it but be stuck because its actual paint, so its a somewhat permanant solution. Here's my thought tho.

What if a person was to first Plasti-Dip which ever body panels they wanted to paint. Do you think the paint would be able to adhere to the dip, maybe needing a light sanding or something? I know this is a long shot, but would be neat to be able to try a bunch of different color schemes but always keeping your stock panels protected and intact.