Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Windshield Change

I've been searching threads looking for mods to upgrage to a 2013 vented windshield, No Luck.

I stopped by RPM Cycles today and compared my 2012 windshield to the 2013 LTD windshield. It seems to me that the only difference is the holes were cut in the 2013. I think I could cut my windshield and acheive the same effect, however, I read on the forum that someone has added an adjustable louver panel to allow for airflow adjustment. I can't seem to find that thread.
    Has anyone got some first hand information? I heard the Goldwings may have that,

I'd greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance,
    Bill
    2012 RT LTD Lava Bronze, Ultimate seat, backrests and fuel door. Two Brothers Titanamium. Laser Alignment, Seals Floorboards. BajaRon Sway Bar and links, Spyderpops blockoff, Grilles, Missing Belt Guard, Bumpskid, Gold Wing Windshield Vent, Kewlmetal Helmet Locks, Rumbling Pride Flag Holders, Cup holders, Signal LED's on mirrors, Baker Built belt stabilizer, gremlin bell, Bad Boy air horn, TricLed 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th taillights and fender LED strips. RT-622 trailer, ........More to come.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up BRP does offer an adjustable vent for the windshield as well, see the links below

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...chmentid=54304

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...chmentid=54305

If the link doesn't take you to the correct picture, just page thru them on my profile under the 2013 Catalogue.
    Last edited by CyncySpyder; 03-23-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Dave,

I was looking to get by "on the cheap". Maybe the BRP option will end up being the way to go.
    2012 RT LTD Lava Bronze, Ultimate seat, backrests and fuel door. Two Brothers Titanamium. Laser Alignment, Seals Floorboards. BajaRon Sway Bar and links, Spyderpops blockoff, Grilles, Missing Belt Guard, Bumpskid, Gold Wing Windshield Vent, Kewlmetal Helmet Locks, Rumbling Pride Flag Holders, Cup holders, Signal LED's on mirrors, Baker Built belt stabilizer, gremlin bell, Bad Boy air horn, TricLed 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th taillights and fender LED strips. RT-622 trailer, ........More to come.

Spyder Garage

A day or two ago Len from Pitbull Power Sports posted a video on Facebook showing how to change the windshield to the new vented version.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Getting by on the cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Plyrod38 View Post
    Thanks Dave,

I was looking to get by "on the cheap". Maybe the BRP option will end up being the way to go.
    The new BRP vented windshield mentioned above is sweet. Definitely worth a serious consideration if the price isn't too steep for your budget.

i just finished installing a windshield vent in my 2010. Purchased a GL1800 windshield clear vent, cut the hole in the windshield and popped it in. Easy mod for $60.00 and it does the job.

Took me under an hour to complete the job. This included removal an reinstalling the windshield.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cutting on a windshield...
    That's all well and good...
    If you have the tools...
    and the talent...
    a steady hand...
    and the guts to do it!

You are far braver than I am!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you have the tools...
    and the talent...
    a steady hand...
    and the guts to do it!

Gotta swing big to hit big!

Look at it another way - the worse that can happen is that you HAVE to buy (the new vented) windscreen because you messed it up on the mod of the current screen (and after you and the misses get over the conversation on your thinking processes)

NORTHSTAR - what did you use to cut the windscreen?
    Last edited by Huntindawg1962; 03-24-2013 at 08:08 AM.
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    The new BRP vented windshield mentioned above is sweet. Definitely worth a serious consideration if the price isn't too steep for your budget.

i just finished installing a windshield vent in my 2010. Purchased a GL1800 windshield clear vent, cut the hole in the windshield and popped it in. Easy mod for $60.00 and it does the job.

Took me under an hour to complete the job. This included removal an reinstalling the windshield.
    I have a GL vent also I bought slightly used but haven't got around to it yet. Did you make a template for the cut, or what did you use to mark the part you wanted to cut? Also interested in knowing about where you positioned it.

I've cut down windshields before and have the necessary tools.
    Last edited by ulflyer; 03-24-2013 at 08:11 AM.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plyrod38 View Post
    Thanks Dave,

Until I came upon the used GL vent mentioned below, I was considering putting in a couple of aircraft window vents; the type you see in small planes that are about 3" round that can be pushed out to open one side, and will swivel around as needed for more/less air. Like this:
    http://www.ultralightnews.ca/airvents_uslk/

I think I have one somewhere out in the shed and if you'd like to take a look at it I'll double check to make sure I still have it, and we can get togather one day.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Vent Install

I positioned the vent in an area of the windshield that I thought would work best for me. (See attached picture of the windshield with the vent installed) You could position it lower, but for me I found optimal air flow at the position I chose.

Here is a link that includes the instructions that come with the vent as well as pictures showing the steps required to mount the vent. http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6578

I would truly recommend removing the windshield from your Spyder. It takes only a few minutes and makes the marking and cutting of the windshield much easier.

I masked the cut area on the windshield with several layers of blue painters masking tape, marked the cut out, drilled two holes with a 7/16 inch drill bit and used a jig saw with a scroll type blade to completely cut out the vent hole. After I made my slightly undersized initial cut of the vent hole I used a rotary type tool (a hand file would suffice) to gradually shave the edges of the opening to ensure a snug fit of the vent. The marking cutting and fitting took about 3/4 of an hour and turned out to be easier than I first imagined. Overall I would rate this mod as being moderately easy once you get over the fact that there was no turning back once you started drilling and cutting. Felt somewhat like cutting the seat for the Utopia Backrest install, for those of you who have been down that road.

I took the Spyder out for its maiden "spring" run a few weeks back when the temperature was hovering at around 34F. I noticed a definite cool draft when I opened the newly installed vent while traveling at 70 miles per hour down the road!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

If you have the tools...
    and the talent...
    a steady hand...
    and the guts to do it!

And if you do venture into it make sure all your blades and grinders are fresh and new or you may end up with a nasty crack..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

NorthStar: many thanks for info and website. I think I can make a template using one of the sides of the vent, prob on some thin cardboard to make sure its not too big and I shouldn't have any trouble. I'll definitely take the WS off...it needs a good cleaning underneath anyway.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Default windshield vent

You have to love this forum! I wanted to add a vent and now I know to use the GL 1800 vent and pictures to show me how its done. I don't suppose anyone has installed a warp drive? Spyderfest is having drag races on Thursday night and I don't think the vent will cut the wind resistance to make me competitive!
    KS

Spyder Garage

I've got the smaller BRP sport windshield currently on the Spyder. I cut a NACA shaped inlet in it. The main purpose for me wasn't so much for ventilation but to balance the pressure better from the front to the rear. When riding in rain now the back of the screen doesn't get as much water on it (even with the hole).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2012 Spyder RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question: Do the stock 2013 RT windshields have the cutouts that line up with the holes in the mounting bracketry; or are they also an accessory?

Spyder Garage

Question: Do the stock 2013 RT windshields have the cutouts that line up with the holes in the mounting bracketry; or are they also an accessory?
    Bob, they line up with holes in the mounting bracket.Still have mine for sale if you know someone that wants it.

Spyder Garage

Wow, I'm amazed at the amount of great infomation I got from this post.

Northstar, Thanks for the information on the GW Vent.

The GW vent looks like the way to go.

Ted,

I thought we'd be getting together on your sway bar, I never heard back from the PM I sent you, maybe it didn't go through for some reason.

Again, Thanks to all for the info,
    Bill

Spyder Garage

Plyrod38 this is probably the website you are looking for to install the vent in your stock windshield. Just scroll down the page and it's all there.

http://www.spyderrt.info/1_5_DIY.html

If anyone has done this can they tell me if it cuts down on the buffeting?

2012 RT Limited (White)
    Tricled fenderz, 3rd and 4th brake lights, mirror mounted rear signals and tip lights. HID head and fog lights. Smooth Spyder. Bajaron Swaybar

Spyder Garage

Default Does the GL Vent bend to fit RT shields?

Just came in from taking the GL vent apart and holding the front section up against the backside of WS to get idea of where I wanted to position it and find that the RT WS has more of a curvature than the Vent.

Have any of you experienced that, and will the vent bend sufficiently to make a nice fit?

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Thanks Spyderific,

Lots of good information coming from the Inspector. I saw several mods I'd be willing to take advantage of.

Thanks Again,
    Bill

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well I just swapped out my 2010 "Barn Door" model for a 25" model off of a 2013. It'll be interesting if those vent holes help to reduce buffeting by any appreciable amount. A "Report From The Saddle" will follow!

Spyder Garage

Well I just swapped out my 2010 "Barn Door" model for a 25" model off of a 2013. It'll be interesting if those vent holes help to reduce buffeting by any appreciable amount. A "Report From The Saddle" will follow!
    Bob

How do you like your new windshield? Did it help with buffering on you trip to/from Spyderfest? I'm in the market for a new windshield and trying to decide between Calsci, F4 or the new BRP windshields.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

I just put the 23" vented on my RT for summer use and kept the 25" non vented for cooler months. It only takes 5 minutes to swap them out.

JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pman2011 View Post
    Bob

How do you like your new windshield? Did it help with buffeting on you trip to/from Spyderfest? I'm in the market for a new windshield and trying to decide between Calsci, F4 or the new BRP windshields.
    Yes it did! Those two little vent holes did make a difference in the amount of buffeting; I was able to run with the windshield in a consistently lower position, without feeling as if I was getting slapped around by the "Three Stooges"...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    I positioned the vent in an area of the windshield that I thought would work best for me. (See attached picture of the windshield with the vent installed) You could position it lower, but for me I found optimal air flow at the position I chose.

Here is a link that includes the instructions that come with the vent as well as pictures showing the steps required to mount the vent. http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6578

I would truly recommend removing the windshield from your Spyder. It takes only a few minutes and makes the marking and cutting of the windshield much easier.

I masked the cut area on the windshield with several layers of blue painters masking tape, marked the cut out, drilled two holes with a 7/16 inch drill bit and used a jig saw with a scroll type blade to completely cut out the vent hole. After I made my slightly undersized initial cut of the vent hole I used a rotary type tool (a hand file would suffice) to gradually shave the edges of the opening to ensure a snug fit of the vent. The marking cutting and fitting took about 3/4 of an hour and turned out to be easier than I first imagined. Overall I would rate this mod as being moderately easy once you get over the fact that there was no turning back once you started drilling and cutting. Felt somewhat like cutting the seat for the Utopia Backrest install, for those of you who have been down that road.

I took the Spyder out for its maiden "spring" run a few weeks back when the temperature was hovering at around 34F. I noticed a definite cool draft when I opened the newly installed vent while traveling at 70 miles per hour down the road!
    I did the same GW vent install a few years ago, and though I am not mechanically inclined, it turned out OK using a saber saw with a fine blade and tape to reduce risk of cracks. The end product turned out good:
    13318[1].jpg