Spyder Garage

Default What's up with that (besides the inside wheel)?

It was a gorgeous weekend here in Colorado so out came the Spyder. We rode down to Apex Sports to pick up a pair of Scala G9's on Saturday.

On the way home, nearly there, sitting at a light waiting to make a left turn. The light turns green, I hit it, not too hard, and make the turn. At the apex of the turn - up comes the left front wheel! The bike never felt out of control and I didn't notice any override from the nanny. The wheel came down as we straightened out and we proceeded on home without incident. When we got home mama suggests that I never do that again.

I really don't know why it happened. I don't feel like I did anything I haven't done before, but the results were sure different. It must be time to order a BajaRon anti-sway bar.

Randy

Registered Users
    Tucson, Arizona (winter), Burwell, Nebraska (summer)
    Spyder Garage

Default Shusssh....don't tell the wives

My wife has inquired often, and I have steadfastly told her that this is impossible. "She's as safe as a baby in her mother's arms"

So, I'm afraid I must keep your posting a deep dark secret (LOL)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Fun; ain't it?
    Had you applied more power, I'm pretty sure that Nanny would have put her hand on your shoulder...
    It's actuallty better to find out what that's like in that sort of situation, than one where you're buzzing along at a rate of speed that could make it more interesting than you'd ever want it to be!

Currant...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Left turn, And the left front wheel comes off the ground.?

Spyder Garage

Did the tire lift enough to come off the ground or just enough to feel like it did. Often I have felt like it did but it doesn't, more a roll than a lift. I did once, going through some twists in Vermont, lift a wheel but the nanny smacked my wrist and bought her under control.

Depending on your riding comfort and experance ( please don't risk life and limb) while out solo push a little harder and see if it does lift or just a heavy roll. If at any point you feel that the nanny should have kicked in and she didn't, take her straight to the dealer, do not pass go do not collect $200.

Again if your unsure do not test to the point where you put yourself or others in danger, take it to the dealer have them check the system out.

Always ride to your own limits and by the way, the nanny will always help you but it is possible to flip the spyder. There one of the safest rides out there but not crash proof.

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Left turn; the left wheel would be the inside wheel...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If the road has a high crest and angles to the right a sharp left turn will throw your center of gravity to the right enough to help in lifting the inside turn wheel.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Happened to me this morning. Gave it a bit more gas than usual to try and beat the light. Suddenly I noticed a power drop, thought it was a misfire. I must've been too eager to get to work .. that's just wrong.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What were you thinking?? Too eager to get to work...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    Did the tire lift enough to come off the ground or just enough to feel like it did. Often I have felt like it did but it doesn't, more a roll than a lift. I did once, going through some twists in Vermont, lift a wheel but the nanny smacked my wrist and bought her under control.

Depending on your riding comfort and experance ( please don't risk life and limb) while out solo push a little harder and see if it does lift or just a heavy roll. If at any point you feel that the nanny should have kicked in and she didn't, take her straight to the dealer, do not pass go do not collect $200.

Again if your unsure do not test to the point where you put yourself or others in danger, take it to the dealer have them check the system out.

Always ride to your own limits and by the way, the nanny will always help you but it is possible to flip the spyder. There one of the safest rides out there but not crash proof.

Harry
    Harry,

There was definitely clear air between the pavement and the tire; it seemed like 3 or 4 inches worth. The road was crowned, but not abnormally so. It was certainly a good object lesson. I must have been pushing it harder than normal. What was interesting was that it did not feel out of control in the least. I'm not sure if that worries me or not! If the nanny kicked in I didn't notice it, and it did not throw any codes to suggest an electronics problem.

Randy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Randy,
    There wouldn't be any codes since the Spyder was doing exactly what it should have been doing in that situation... keeping you safe!
    I've "bicycled" mine a couple of times; all at lower speeds while making a ninety degree turn. Nanny did her magic, and I motored on grinning; but wiser!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have fun but in a right way. be safe, tires are made to stay on the ground
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Randy, sounds like you are also in the Springs. Welcome to the group.

Spyder Garage

One thing I might suggest would be to do some parking lot practice. It will give you a better idea of how the Spyder reacts in situations like these. It is very helpful to test the turns to see when a tire lifts, and get comfortable with a little air under the wheel. Of course riding two-up, or dealing with road crowns, off-camber corners, and so on will make the wheel lift more easily, but you will understand what is happening better if you have done it a few times...in both directions. You can also learn what the nanny does to keep things under control, and what that feels like.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great advice!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    One thing I might suggest would be to do some parking lot practice. It will give you a better idea of how the Spyder reacts in situations like these. It is very helpful to test the turns to see when a tire lifts, and get comfortable with a little air under the wheel. Of course riding two-up, or dealing with road crowns, off-camber corners, and so on will make the wheel lift more easily, but you will understand what is happening better if you have done it a few times...in both directions. You can also learn what the nanny does to keep things under control, and what that feels like.
    Good advise, would also recommend making sure tire pressure is checked and possibly stiffen the shock adjustment up front, I have mine set one notch from the highest-stiffest setting. Oh, and of course Ron's custom anti-swaybar sure does help.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb For whats it worth and in our experience

For the most part, Nanny is a silent guardian and won't throw any codes at you. When needed, she usually does her magic behind the scenes, meaning she can apply the brake to only one wheel or the other if needed and she can retard the engine, almost making the Spyder feel as if it was missing, but stealing just enough power to allow you and the machine to remain in control, she's good like that but can be a pain from time to time. Usually with the handlebars straight, she'll let you get away with alot. But as soon as those bars are turned, she's got her watchful eye at the ready.

Now I have to admit, a couple years back, Teddy was on a hundred mile ryde in the dead of winter and we when we finally made it home, our driveway, which is at about a 42 degree angle, was covered with snow. We weren't about to leave his Red Sled parked on the side of the road to get hit, so Teddy told me to roll on the throttle and to get us up the driveway and into the warmth of the garage.

I did as instructed and Nanny was none too happy about it and she showed me that Squigly TadPole looking Idiot Lite on the cluster to prove it. And even tho the rear tire was spinning like never before, and going from side to side about a foot, we finally made it up that hill & Nanny calmed right back down & let the TadPole go back to sleep. Only time in 3 years now that we've been paid a visit from Mr. TadPole

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    If the right wheel comes off the ground in a left turn, you're pretty much upside down...
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC