Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up If you own an RT and like get'n on the twisties, do yourself a favor & read this post

We have a well known site sponsor that goes by the handle of BajaRon & he sells many items that are specific to our Spyders, including oil change kits, upgraded plugs & wires among many other items as well. But I have to tell you, while I've never recieved a product from Ron that I wasn't HAPPY with, his latest & greatest creation should be on EVERY RT Owners wish list

Last edited by CyncySpyder; 07-12-2013 at 06:09 AM.

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

I think you're talking about the new sway bar. Installed mine 2 weeks ago and I've got to say, it may well be the greatest addition I made to my RT. I have a 2010 and had already upgraded the shocks to the 2011 model and had them set as firm as possible. With Ron's new sway bar, I've backed the shocks off to the second softest setting and the RT takes the corners FLAT. Love it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is gonna be the next "Dark Spell" project that I tackle...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I agree! Amazing product!
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Or you can be lucky like me and just get bit by a Spyder when the 2013s are rolling out. Phew, glad I wasn't bit last year.

Otherwise I'd be pulling my hair out right now over how I didn't have the 2013 yellow ST with all the upgrades. I don't know how you guys are all surviving this.

I'm afraid now of when they eventually put a bigger engine on these. Then I'll be in trouble.

At least I get one year maybe two? Right?

The handling improves may be more important than a stronger engine though.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bryk View Post
    Or you can be lucky like me and just get bit by a Spyder when the 2013s are rolling out. Phew, glad I wasn't bit last year.

Otherwise I'd be pulling my hair out right now over how I didn't have the 2013 yellow ST with all the upgrades. I don't know how you guys are all surviving this.

I'm afraid now of when they eventually put a bigger engine on these. Then I'll be in trouble.

At least I get one year maybe two? Right?

The handling improves may be more important than a stronger engine though.
    you have a point but what you forget is that while my Spyder may be old school I've got 52,000 more miles of fun than you do!

And the sway bar is the best mod
    Last edited by SpyderAnn01; 01-14-2013 at 02:19 PM.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The pile of collected miles and memories is always worth a lot!

Spyder Garage

The ST was a nice addition, but not the type of machine I was hoping they would build. I am not willing to wait for the perfect model to come along. The spyder has changed my life, to say the least, and I intend to keep buying new ones every few years or so.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    We have a well known site sponsor that goes by the handle of BajaRon & he sells many items that are specific to our Spyders, including oil change kits, upgraded plugs & wires among many other items as well. But I have to tell you, while I've never recieved a product from Ron that I wasn't HAPPY with, his latest & greatest creation should be on EVERY RT Owners wish list

Put the sway bar on 2 weeks ago and just tried it out yesterday. Amazing difference! 6 of us left San Juan Capistrano, CA and went through the twisties of The Ortegas and through Avocado Road to Temecula. As usual we saw fire, ambulance, forestry vehicle and air support for yet another bike and car, getting too cocky, going off the cliff. I have to say, as tough as this road is, I felt completely in control for the first time. What a difference. I didn't yell my patented, "Oh ****" once. Great job Ron. Weather was in the 50's with sunny clear skies. What a ride. I'm the sweeper for the group and have to say I never fell behind chasing my friends on their Harley's like I used to. Ortega highway is not the toughest longest set of twisties I have ridden but it is tough enough to put Ron's new sway bar to the test. Good job, Ron. Lamont, good job on your auto-edit.
    Last edited by Ride Master; 01-14-2013 at 03:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have one sitting on the shelf that I am looking forward to installing when my back is better. Right now I have the Elka shocks on which have raised my front end by a good 4". It makes the bike top heavy and most of the gains in performance are lost to this. They sent me new springs which dropped it about 1 " but it made no noticable change in the handling. When I get the bar on I will drop the front end back down to stock and see how she handles but I suspect it will be great. She will be flat in the cornes and take the potholes better. Elkas are great shocks but they have their place.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    I'm a non-mechanic. Can I install this? I don't have a lift. I do have basic tools.

Bernie
    --
    RT-S (Blue) with Power Sports Wrap Racing Stripes
    BajaRon's Sway Bar
    Kewl Metal Gizmo Mount
    Rivco Flag Mounts
    NBV Highway Pegs

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hberninger View Post
    I'm a non-mechanic. Can I install this? I don't have a lift. I do have basic tools.
    You don't need a full on lift (I don't have one either). But you will need to jack the Spyder up because you have to get under it. If you're going to do much of any maintenance on a Spyder you really need to invest in a floor jack like this one.

Prices vary as does quality. But they are not that expensive and can easily pay for themselves if you do some of your own work.

I hesitate to tell people the install is easy. It really depends on your skill level. I'd compare it to changing the oil, give or take a little.

It takes about 1.5 hours and a bit of work. But many people have done it and some have had a friend that's mechanical do it for them.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

do you need the jack or will ramps work?

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can you drive it up on them? I'd be cautious about the nose hitting on them...
    Ron,
    You've convinced me that this is a project that even I can handle... but I'm calling in some backup; just in case!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I haven't tried ... but I think so. the inside lip of the ramp would be on the inside of the front tires ... my guess is that there would be plenty of room ... but someone probably has tried it here.

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Spyder Garage

I installed mine and the improvement was amazing. Rode a couple hundred miles last weekend.
    Handling is flat, precise, and feels like a sports car. Best mod so far.

Spyder Garage

I use ramps all the time, they work fine. If you can swing a wrench you can do this job, its is not difficult.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thehawk View Post
    do you need the jack or will ramps work?

thehawk
    Ramps will work fine as long as the Spyder goes up on them ok. Not sure they will work well for an oil change but then, this isn't an oil change!

I try to describe this install leaning towards the harder side. I don't want anyone saying it was harder than they thought it would be. I'm much happier when people tell me it was easier than they thought it would be. Then everyone is happy.

The only thing I would say (and this goes for most any install). Don't guess. If you're not sure find out for sure. I tried to make the instructions simple and straight forward and so far, everyone has been pleased with them.

My cell phone is included in the instructions but so far I think I've gotten only 2 calls for clarification on minor stuff and the installer had it right to begin with. I think I just made them feel better about being right!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you use a jack to life the RT please make sure you set the Spyder back down on jack stands. You will be applying a lot of force moving the frunk, etc that can make the Spyder unstable.

The new anti-sway bar does make the corners flatter but don't forget the improved ride. If you have increased the shock settings to overcome the leaning in the corners you will be able to go to a lower setting. I found the improved ride was worth as much to me as the improved handling. The roads around Illinois are not the best.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Can you drive it up on them? I'd be cautious about the nose hitting on them...
    Ron,
    You've convinced me that this is a project that even I can handle... but I'm calling in some backup; just in case!
    Probably a good idea as 4 hands are better than 2 on this project.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default shock setting ?

I have installed Ron's bar, Question being what has been the average setting of the adjustable shock ring?
    I had mine on top notch prior to install.

Quote Originally Posted by JJW SpyderRider View Post
    If you use a jack to life the RT please make sure you set the Spyder back down on jack stands. You will be applying a lot of force moving the frunk, etc that can make the Spyder unstable.

The new anti-sway bar does make the corners flatter but don't forget the improved ride. If you have increased the shock settings to overcome the leaning in the corners you will be able to go to a lower setting. I found the improved ride was worth as much to me as the improved handling. The roads around Illinois are not the best.
    wa3wheels How can u drop a raw egg onto a concrete floor without cracking it? *Any way you want, concrete floors are very hard to crack.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Baja Ron Sway Bar

Mine arrived Christmas Eve. It went on with no hitches, all I can say is the handling of the RT is now awesome, huge improvement. Did I say absolute blast. Thanks Ron!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Waiting for delivery

Ordered one a few days back. Ron said he will have more in stock in a few days. Planning on riding The Tail of the Dragon as soon as weather breaks. Think this mod will make that ride totally fun.
    2014 Limited , Silver Playinum Satin

Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 RT-S Put elkas on at lamounts bbq. improved the handling greatly. Installed Rons swaybar 2 weeks ago. Rode NC mountains last Saturday Roads was wet. Vast improvement in handling If I had to pick between Elkas or the sway bar I would go with the sway bar as a first to me the sway bar was a better improvement in handling. Ron hit a home run on this

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    you have a point but what you forget is that while my Spyder may be old school I've got 52,000 more miles of fun than you do!

And the sway bar is the best mod
    Fair enough. Yeah, I can imagine it is for you pre13ers . How many of those miles were without the bar?

Doesn't mean I wasn't having fun riding on something else.

Just two more months then it will be time.