Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Would you buy your RT all over again?

Thinking about buying an RT and need to know if you guys (& gals) who have already bought one would pull the trigger again? I've read a lot of posts on this and other forums about problems with their RT's. Are these isolated issues, or are they fairly common with this model?

Not trying to "flame" the RT, just need some honest input. I think the RT is an awesome looking ride!

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Absolutely!!! I'm a very new (female) Ryder, both to cycles and the Spyder. My dealer is 26 miles away. I've not had any problems or issues in approx 1200 miles. I have confidence in the Spyder and the dealer.
    Roberta
    ----------------------------------------------
    2012 RT A&C SE-5
    Fog lights
    Cal-Sci Windshield

Spyder Garage

I have had two RS's and now have my second RT. I have not decided about a third RT yet.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default buy a rt again

of course i would rt is the only way to ride

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default No

After 2 months of ownership and seeing my ride leave on the back of a tow truck for the second time....... I doubt it. Brilliant concept undone by poor reliability (for me).

Spyder Garage

Default Would you buy your RT all over again?

We've had our 2010 RTS and 622 trailer for 2.5 years and 26,000 trouble free miles. Love it more now than when we first got it....

Yeah, would say we'd do it all over again!

Bill & Sandy

Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RT se. I got it about 2 months ago and now have 1900 miles on it. Here in Salem, Oregon there are not very many (i think 2 or 3) and just the attention EVERY TIME i ride is worth it.. By the way I have had absolutely no problems with it. I love it and would definitely do it again. I think they are a little like plane crashes... there are a few of them and draw a lot of attention when it happens that that is all you dwell on, when you don"t consider how many flights there are a day. I think its the same with spyders, there are alot of them out there that have no problems but they don't draw attention to themselves like dissatisfied customer.

Spyder Garage

Yes!

We have owned a PE GS since early 2008, and I got one of the first Premiere edition RTs. Teething problems with that did not keep me from trading for a 2011 RT. The breed keeps improving, and the new Gen 2 Spyders look like they will be even better. I hardly ride my other motorcycles anymore. I dearly love the Spyders!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 RT SE and I would surely do it again. Purchased it from a dealer in Kissimmee and have it serviced at a dealer in Gulf Shores, AL. I live in the Pensacola area of Fl. Have had no problems with it since I bought it new in 2011.

AC
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

13000 miles and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT SM5 with just under 30,000 miles. I would definitely buy one again and my wife and riding partner loves it more than I do.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

of course i would rt is the only way to ride

Spyder Garage

Absolutely, Coming up on one year with my 2011 RT-S. I haven't drank the BRP Kool-aid like some. BRP has lots room for improvement, they are nowhere near the product of Honda. I have read about the new product features, not much being said about quality improvements. Not meant as negative, just my thoughts. My daughters love to cruse with me on the Spyder, priceless. The youngest brand it the "Dementor"

Best advice, buy from BEST dealer not cheapest deal. Check out the dealers if you have any choices. Hang out in the service area for awhile, talk to their customers. Good Luck
    Last edited by DMENTR; 10-15-2012 at 01:43 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Yes,but

With the modifications and such that I have added post purchase, I would go for the RTS Limited with the trailer and save myself some time and effort. At nearly 32k miles since March 1 2011 yes,probably.

Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167
    2011 RTS , Orbital Blue

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Many (Not All) of the issues reported are DEALER INDUCED issues & NOT from BRP

When the RT first came to market in 2010, ours was not set-up properly from the dealer, causing problem after problem after problem. So much so, I had an attorney on retainer, cause many states' Lemon Laws do NOT cover motorcycles, which the Spyders are legally considered in most states.

After 13,700 miles, I was addicted, but had NO FAITH in that particular unit. Ended up trading for an 11 with Len at Cowtown in Cuba Mo & I can't come close to telling you how different this experience has been from my previous experience. When a dealer knows what their doing, and genuinly cares about the product and the customer, its a WIN WIN for everyone involved.

We've had our 2011 SpyderFest Eddition RT-S now for about a year & a half and have over 34,000 miles with no issues besides general recall stuff that has effected most of them, but nothing thats caused us to loose ryding time and NO LOSS of FAITH in this unit at all, WE LOVE TEDS RED SLED.

If you check over the forum, you will find that many of the issues that folks have, are in fact, dealer induced from lack of initial proper set-up. Not all, like the Throttle Body issues spoke of, but we've never had an issue with ours. And we wouldn't trade the experience & joy this machine has brought us for anything.
    Last edited by CyncySpyder; 10-15-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Yes!

We have owned a PE GS since early 2008, and I got one of the first Premiere edition RTs. Teething problems with that did not keep me from trading for a 2011 RT. The breed keeps improving, and the new Gen 2 Spyders look like they will be even better. I hardly ride my other motorcycles anymore. I dearly love the Spyders!
    The above response speaks volumes.

Chris

Spyder Garage

We have a 2010 RT-S. I just cannot imagine doing our trip out to Glacier and Yellowstone NP's in any other machine. Having the trailer meant no compromises on clothes, camera equipment and even some fly fishing stuff. While we had a problem in West Glacier, we found a dealer only 35 miles away who had us back on the road faster than I would have imagined. I would not trade our memories from that trip for anything! Still ride 2 wheels, also, but the RT has a special place in our garage.
    Dan

Very Active Member 2ndChildhood's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RTL with 7000 miles on it since June and LOVING IT! No problems here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Life is Great
    ToM

Spyder Garage

Yes, I love my RT and would buy another in a heart beat, the issue for me is not the Spyder.

My wife loves to garden and the hole in the back field is getting longer and deeper, if I came home with a new 2013, guess what would be filling it.

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stallion143 View Post
    Thinking about buying an RT and need to know if you guys (& gals) who have already bought one would pull the trigger again? I've read a lot of posts on this and other forums about problems with their RT's. Are these isolated issues, or are they fairly common with this model?

Not trying to "flame" the RT, just need some honest input. I think the RT is an awesome looking ride!

Thanks!
    Absolutely! Great fun...no issues...5600 miles including a 1565 mile trip to TN last month. Probably won't buy another one unless I run the wheels off my 2012 model. Very happy with my RT!
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

As my RT sits right now, NO I would not purchase another one. If I were one of the MANY that have had thousands of trouble-free miles, then I would purchase another in a heartbeat. The ride is very comfortable and BRP has learned from us that have been customers since the first spyders rolled out and you can see that by the changes they make each year. The RT is a direct result from RS owners adding side bags, taller windscreens, cruise control devices, stereo's etc to their rides. The ST was born when BRP saw the many posts from us wanting something in-between the two platforms they offered. Comfort and a sport oriented ride.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Yes ! I would buy a spyder RT of course there are a few issues but overall
    I love my spyder. I also love the spyder community. The spyder is my first motorcycle and in about 30 years
    some people have a lot of problems with there's I picked my spyder up" August 2012 4300 miles on it.
    No problem other than the anti-free leak. And how hot the right side get. But that is okay. I will work
    on that issues.
    Last edited by Champagne; 10-15-2012 at 06:23 AM.
    Xm Radio, BRP CB, Top block off plate, Lazard LED, Utopia backrest

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

On my second Spyder first was a trouble free 2019 RS now I have a trouble free 2012 RTS. It's all about the dealership and how much they know about getting the bike ready to hit the road and keeping it on the road. My next RT in about three or four years will be a Limited Model with all of the add ons. I really pushed the RTS the last few weeks with rides to the twisty roads in the mountains and long distance Highway runs. No problem and nothing but fun!

There are those that have had significant issues, and that is a fact of owning a new design with lots of complex parts and electronics. This is where competent honest dealerships play a major part in customer satisfaction and confidence in the Spyder.

Good luck in your decision!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not a "Yes"...
    More like an, "Oh Hell Yes!!"
    I've had a couple of glitches along the way; but it's still been a blast!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

In a heart beat, YES. 9 months and 9k + with no issues.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa