Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil

Can you use any other synthetic oil other than the OEM oil?

Spyder Garage

Default I'll answer before you get flamed...

This is a running joke on the forum... how many oil threads there have been over the years.

Do a search, and you will be overwhelmed by the number of specific discussions.

And WELCOME to SpyderLovers!
    Regards-

Frank.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 1330
    2011 Viper Red RT-S SE5 998 (sold)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bob View Post

Quote Originally Posted by FrankPa View Post
    This is a running joke on the forum... how many oil threads there have been over the years.

As FrankPa said, welcome to SpyderLovers... and man that is a loaded question. I can't wait for the fireworks to start.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Here's a place to start.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...tic#post479164

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, As long it's Wet Clutch rated.

Spyder Garage

Just go to Baja Ron and buy his stuff. It is easier to submitt.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Spyder Garage

Keep your receipts, there was a post on here about a dealer balking at a warranty repair because the owner was doing their own oil changes.

Spyder Garage

Look for the rating "JASO MA2" on the bottle of 10-40 and you'll be good to go. Caution: Mobil1 is no longer recommended due to formulation changes and is also rated lower than MA2.

Spyder Garage

Wow! this is getting to be a mellow group.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Campverdefela View Post
    Wow! this is getting to be a mellow group.
    I'm just mad about Saffron, Saffron is mad about us, They call us ;--

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down Just an FYI for those that are actually trying to be helpful YOU CAN'T SEARCH FOR OIL

Quote Originally Posted by FrankPa View Post

The search engine requires the word searched for to be more than 3 letters. So when you do a search for oil, this is what you get for a resultSC20121009-104212.jpg

Spyder Garage

BRP has the alternate recommendation in the owner's manual.....

.....or a 5W40 semi-synthetic (minimum) or synthetic motorcycle oil, meeting the requirements for API service SL, SJ, SH, or SG classification. Always check the API service label on the oil container.

NOTICE To avoid damaging the clutch, do not use a motor oil meeting the API service SM or ILSA GF-4 classification. Clutch slippage will occur.
    Experience has shown that a 10W40 classification works well for most riding in temperate climates. For winter riding in climates farther north, you may want to stick with the harder to find 5W-40. Anything else outside the spec is a risk, IMO, and can certainly threaten your warranty if engine damage occurs. I prefer using an oil that also meets JASO specs, preferably JASO MA2, which is the most stringent for wet clutches.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

On the Home Page of this site is a Sponser "Perfect Fit" marketing Amsoil. Many spyder owners run there 10w40 Motercycle oil. Its use runs high in servays of Spyder owners. Honda East (anouther sponser) has it on there store shelf (along with others). For your info

Spyder Garage

I asked at the dealer about Shell Rotella T6. Great oil, JASO MA, have run it in my quad which is an S/A (semi automatic wet clutch) tranny, and my dual sport. They told me to stick with the BRP brand XPS...I looked at it and they don't even tell you what viscosity it is! I asked the service guy why, and he said that they didn't want ppl knowing so they would go out and by another brand oil, and make them have to buy their brand?? I can get a larger volume of the T6 cheaper than the jug of BRP oil...I haven't talked to the owner of the shop about this yet, but I can't see why a person can't change their own oil with something other than the BRP stuff, if it has that JASO MA rating. I like doing the work on my own bikes; I was told it was gonna cost me $300 for the first service ...I can do it myself if I buy the filters and the T6...I'm just waiting to hear someone tell me that my warranty will be void if the dealership doesn't perform the oil services on the machine....

"Sometimes through the winds of change, we find our true direction"

2019 RTL SE6, Spyder upgrades ultraguard cover, foam grip cover, trunk organizer, magic mirror kit, saddlebag liners, ultimate seat with gas door and rain cover, heavy duty gas shock for seat, back rest, glove box protector, BajaRon sway bay, front grill, short spiral antenna, Garmin Zumo 660 GPS with mount, trunk light, large brake pedal, wide vu mirrors, barb wire decal kit, highway pegs, hot grips.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE LAW

The Magnussen-Moss act (spelling ?) prevents them for arbitrally (spelling?)voiding your warranty Scotty knows way more about this than I do and I'm sure He will chime in and clear it up.......Yes your dealer is going to want to get as much MONEY from you as possible.....You can explain to him/her that you are a very competant mechanic and if you can't do some maintenance you won't be able to afford the Spyder and will be forced to sell it and never recommend anyone buying one here That might get their attention.......Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-10-2012 at 06:59 AM.

Spyder Garage

We need something like that in Canada...when I go get the bike I'll run this past him. I got to see an RT apart today and brain picked the tech while he was working on it. The tech was pretty good about answering my questions. He laughed when I asked him how he liked changing belts on them. His answer? "It's a pain in the a$$!"

2019 RTL SE6, Spyder upgrades ultraguard cover, foam grip cover, trunk organizer, magic mirror kit, saddlebag liners, ultimate seat with gas door and rain cover, heavy duty gas shock for seat, back rest, glove box protector, BajaRon sway bay, front grill, short spiral antenna, Garmin Zumo 660 GPS with mount, trunk light, large brake pedal, wide vu mirrors, barb wire decal kit, highway pegs, hot grips.

Spyder Garage

Default SYNTHETIC OIL AND COLD WEATHER

I can't speak for all synthetic oils but I can tell you that AMSOIL 10W 40 Product code MCF has a Pour Point (the point at which the oil will no longer pour) Is -51 deg F. That should cover most folks cold weather riding.

Spyder Garage

Shewolf: Last year when I got my RT I asked on this forum about using T6 as well and I got the reply that some (don't remember a number) folks had used it and got a slipping clutch with it. For that reason I stayed with Amsoil, except for a recent trial with Valvoline 10-40 motorcycle oil. I'm now back with, and plan on staying with, Amsoil. I'm not a dealer, just a long time user of it in previous bikes and cars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I asked at the dealer about Shell Rotella T6. Great oil, JASO MA, have run it in my quad which is an S/A (semi automatic wet clutch) tranny, and my dual sport. They told me to stick with the BRP brand XPS...I looked at it and they don't even tell you what viscosity it is! I asked the service guy why, and he said that they didn't want ppl knowing so they would go out and by another brand oil, and make them have to buy their brand?? I can get a larger volume of the T6 cheaper than the jug of BRP oil...I haven't talked to the owner of the shop about this yet, but I can't see why a person can't change their own oil with something other than the BRP stuff, if it has that JASO MA rating. I like doing the work on my own bikes; I was told it was gonna cost me $300 for the first service ...I can do it myself if I buy the filters and the T6...I'm just waiting to hear someone tell me that my warranty will be void if the dealership doesn't perform the oil services on the machine....
    The T6 was reformulated and relabelled. Even the 5W-40 has an SM label now, which is specifically prohibited by BRP. Lamont used to use T6, but had clutch slippage problems after the reformulation, and had to seek an alternative (immediately and on a road trip). There are other, suitable oils available. I'd try one of them. I agree about the lack of viscosity labelling. Who wants to use an off-brand, unlabeled oil?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Tried that, I first noticed the clutch slipping at about 1,000 kms after the oil change. After changing the oil and filters it took a couple of hundred kms before the clutch stopped slipping. JASO MA rating is not good enough for the Spyder you need to look for a JASO MA2 rating.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I was told it was gonna cost me $300 for the first service ...I can do it myself if I buy the filters and the T6...I'm just waiting to hear someone tell me that my warranty will be void if the dealership doesn't perform the oil services on the machine....
    Just keep in mind that the first Service [600mile] Isn't Just an oil change.
    Just saying'.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default What's wrong with the BRP oil

BRP has put over 16 years of research and development into the Spyder and over 70 years into seadoos and skidoos. What is so wrong with the BRP oil that people are willing to risk voiding their warranties and having a slipping clutch?

I think that BRP is most knowledgable out of all of us and they know what type of oil we need in our vehicles. If they thought the Spyder needed a different type of oil, they would have made it.

Not everything needs to be changed.

Sounds like some people would use vegetable oil just to say that they are different.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder777 View Post
    BRP has put over 16 years of research and development into the Spyder

Sounds like some people would use vegetable oil just to say that they are different.

And i might add;
    Or try to sound more knowledgeable!

Spyder Garage

There is nothing wrong with using their oil (to each their own). I just find that if an oil is going to be marketed, it should show what viscosity and rating it has, regardless if it was Yamaha brand or BRP. Not to mention the jacked up price!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Somebody mentioned just giving BajaRon a call...
    That makes everything a whole lot easier!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black