Spyder Garage

Default Where to hide spare key?

Tomorrow I leave for TX. While having my Channelz & TIPZ installed, I am having a spare key made. I will then have a total of three. I will mail the third key to my husband, here in BC. (He doesn't ride) In the unlikely event that I should lose a key, where would be a good place to hide a spare key? It has to be a place where you don't need a key to get to it. You may want to send a private post so only I will know where to find your your spare

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Just an FYI

If your getting a generic "Spare" key made, you know it won't operate your Spyders Ignition, right The 2 Keys that come with your new Spyder BOTH have a uniquely digitally encoded and embedded device that works with the Spyders DESS (Digitally Encoded Security System) & without that, a generic key will only allow you to open the cargo units (Frunk, rear & side compartments) of your Spyder. Just making sure your aware of this

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why not just hide it in the glovebox?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default SPARE KEY

Decorate the key and hang it on a gold chain with other charms and put around your neck !!

OH NO !! now everyone know!!

Dan

Spyder Garage

Hi CyncySpyder,

Not only is having another key made time consuming, especially when your anxious to get on the road, but it is expensive. The Can-am dealer is going to have to take my key to a locksmith to get the three blanks before they can be encoded. I don't know how much it will cost. They didn't know. I am also taking the key in a padded envelope to the post office today to make certain the post office will accept and ship it to my hubby when it is ready. Let's see, what have I forgotten to do

Spyder Garage

My dealer made me a 3rd key for thirty five dollars, i had to have both originals so he could "SYNC" them.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I did the flat blank key (# on here somewhere) which can be hidden in a lot places or even carried in something like a cell phone case (tied in). then hide your real chiped key somewhere in your storage areas. I had a couple made at a cost about eight dollars.
    Good Luck and have Fun.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TasmanianDevil View Post
    Tomorrow I leave for TX. While having my Channelz & TIPZ installed, I am having a spare key made. I will then have a total of three. I will mail the third key to my husband, here in BC. (He doesn't ride) In the unlikely event that I should lose a key, where would be a good place to hide a spare key? It has to be a place where you don't need a key to get to it. You may want to send a private post so only I will know where to find your your spare
    I have a spare key in a magnetic holder. I pull off the panel to check the oil and put the magnetic holder on the frame member there. It has been there for years. It actually saved me once. I also have a trip wire there to unlatch the frunk in the unlikely case I leave my key in there. I could hide the key in the frunk and then use the trip wire to get to it. In reality my key rarely comes out of the ignition except for overnight stays.

Yes and now everyone knows where my spare key is. I am a trusting soul and believe that I will be okay. 99.99 percent of the people in the world would not be able to start a Spyder WITH the key. It is not an intuitive.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes and now everyone knows where my spare key is. I am a trusting soul and believe that I will be okay. 99.99 percent of the people in the world would not be able to start a Spyder WITH the key. It is not an intuitive.[/QUOTE]

but there still is that other.01% . Dale

Spyder Garage

I tape mine on the underneath side of my glove box lid. Downside is that the tape when awfully hot gets kinda gooey.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Default Spare key location

I also store mine under the speaker grill wired to a bolt there. Grill is not difficult to remove without tools. Always there if I need it.

Spyder Garage

Per other posts in this forum, you should get the key several feet away from the bike when not in use. This allows the computer to re-initialize. Based on what I see on my cars that use coded keys, I believe this could be a fact. If you leave a coded key on the bike at all times, you could be defeating this function.

Spyder Garage

hopefully, you wear riding gear... i keep my Xtra key in the 'gun pocket' of my jacket.... just need to remember to transfer the key from the jacket you wore, to the jacket you wear....

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

My spare key stayed home in my garage, In the 3 years i had a Spyder i never had to call someone to bring the key to me. My Tri Glide doesn't have a key, Just an electronic fob that has to be within a few feet of the Tri to start it, And if i lose that i can just reset [over ride] the security system with my password to start the TRI.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcturner View Post
    Per other posts in this forum, you should get the key several feet away from the bike when not in use. This allows the computer to re-initialize. Based on what I see on my cars that use coded keys, I believe this could be a fact. If you leave a coded key on the bike at all times, you could be defeating this function.
    This has been repeated so often people believe it to be true, it's not. The chip in the key is not battery powered. The maximum range for this system is a couple inches tops between the chip in the key and the antenna in the ignition switch.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found that I could start my Bike with a "Dummy" key (unchipped), but I actually had to touch a good key against it for the magic to happen.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    This has been repeated so often people believe it to be true, it's not. The chip in the key is not battery powered. The maximum range for this system is a couple inches tops between the chip in the key and the antenna in the ignition switch.
    If I was tying it under the speaker grill, though, I'd use the far side rather than the center. The center is uncomfortably close to the DESS for me.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Aren't there some magnets in there? Could they cause an issue with the chips?

Spyder Garage

Default Experiment

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I found that I could start my Bike with a "Dummy" key (unchipped), but I actually had to touch a good key against it for the magic to happen.
    Bob could you do another experiment? I think the DESS only looks for the chip once during the startup sequence, but I don't know for sure. If I am right you can start it with the dummy key in the ignition and the chipped key against it. After it starts you should be able to put the chipped key in your pocket and drive off with only the dummy key in the ignition.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes; you can! That was one of the functions that I was curious about...

Spyder Garage

Default On me!!!!

Hey Sarah...where are you? Assume closer to TX then you were on Weds... I keep my extra key on me...that way I always know where I am!!!!!
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Yes; you can! That was one of the functions that I was curious about...
    Good to know thanks Bob.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Question Spare key Hide where?

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    If your getting a generic "Spare" key made, you know it won't operate your Spyders Ignition, right The 2 Keys that come with your new Spyder BOTH have a uniquely digitally encoded and embedded device that works with the Spyders DESS (Digitally Encoded Security System) & without that, a generic key will only allow you to open the cargo units (Frunk, rear & side compartments) of your Spyder. Just making sure your aware of this
    WOW if this is really true then we all could put our "chiped"key in the frunk or trunk. In my case if in the trunk NOBODY would be able to find it!!!!! Putting it in the "glove box" not a great idea as it doesn't lock. Guess I will have to try this idea Dave. Unless you already did it. If so can it be done? A blank to get front,rear open?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It works slicker than... OIL!
    Ilco's X270 keyblank is the one that you need...