Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP will do what is right!

Quote Originally Posted by Farmbanker View Post
    My 12 year old was just along for the ride. The only person to ever drive this unit was me. Machine was brand new. Had 1 mile of me test riding it at the dealership when I left.
    Relax and let the dealer deal with BRP. I had a problem with my new spyder that BRP stood up to their responsibility and corrected the issues with my spyder. You may want to call BRP and ask to have a senior customer service Rep. assigned to your case.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

With this misunderstanding hopefully behind us, lets go onward on upwards.
    Amen to that.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Default Update

Not a huge update but talked to customer service rep Damien at BRP today who was assigned my case. He confirmed that the new engine arrived at the dealer and that the tech would spend all day Friday on it. Also wanted to let me know that the tech and service manager are going to school with BRP next week which the dealership told me about.

Dealer also called me to review the status. Asked if the loaner is doing OK for me. Since it has now crossed the 100+ mile barrier, I assume it will be OK. Now what is a little irritating is I cannot install the mods I bought for my bike (ram mounts, passenger armrests). Could be worse though. Overall still satisfied with BRP and dealer support.

Anyone on this forum running with a replacement engine? Experience?
    Last edited by Farmbanker; 10-16-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the update. Although everything not perfect--it seems both BRP and the dealer are going out of their way to treat you right and treat you quickly. The extra warranty is great. Once you are up and running on your new machine, with accessories installed, we are hoping you many miles of smiles.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Lemon Law

BUMMER... The dealer should give you a new one... here in California that is what they
    have to do by law. I am sorry you are forced to have to put up with that mess...
    You may want to visit a lawer.
    Dave
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Spyder Owner -buyer's remorse
    Hello all. I have ridden motorcycles for some time and decided to get something
    that my wife and I could both ride. We did a lot of research on the Spyders and last Friday bought a 2012 RT-S SE5. It's a beautiful machine and we were so excited. It's a blue one so we named it Pappa Smurf.

First couple of rides my wife was just in love. Very comfortable, fun to ride. On Sunday my 12 year-old son rode it and my 9 year old daughter was about to. This is where my buyer's remorse starts. At the 86 mile mark (total miles, this is new) it completely shut down while accelerating. Was in 4th gear, maybe about 50 mph. Shut down suddenly and completely. Orange CHECK ENGINE screen. Sounded awful and LCD screen became this washed out white, hard to read display. 86 TOTAL MILES! Had to quickly pull over, thank God it wasn't heavy traffic or we could have had an accident!

Called tow truck, took back and us back home. Dealership spent a few days trying to figure it out. Said they haven't seen this before.that is what
    Here is where we stand today. Head tech says that the cam chain broke and metal all over inside the engine and now there are likely all kinds of issues. They asked Can Am for a new motor, which they didn't say no to but they also didn't say yes too. It strikes me as incredibly bad that Can Am didn't just offer up a replacement motor or bike. If I bought a new car and put 86 miles on it and then it did something like this, I think it likely that they would just find another unit and say here you go. So strike one for customer friendly.

Tomorrow I may find out if they say yes to a new motor. If they say no, gotta rebuild it, my tech already has expressed concern that they will find all the metal pieces. Plus they will have more tied up in labor and part than a new motor would cost. Not to mention that I will be without the bike WAY longer. That would be strike two and three. Who treats customers like this? I hope not Can Am. If I sound frustrated I am. I just want to ride the bike. I had to back out of a ride this weekend and if this doesn't go well I suspect I will miss out on a few more..... Now I'm wondering just what I have gotten myself into.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You are NOT Alone!

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Post Glad your dealer is taking good care of you & that BRP is stepping up

Doc has much experience with replacement engines

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    BUMMER... The dealer should give you a new one... here in California that is what they have to do by law. I am sorry you are forced to have to put up with that mess...You may want to visit a lawer Dave
    Dave, Not according to the California Lemon Law, like most, they have a reasonable number of attempts to make it conform to the warranty as written below. Sorry you are misinformed and I personally don't understand why you would post this, when the Original Poster doesn't live in CA and he is now being treated the way most of us would want to be treated by BRP if we were in a similar situation. I've gone thru this myself back in 2010 with our 2010 Timeless Black RT-S & as soon as you mention lawyers, most corporations take all offers of assistance off the table and its down to legalities between the lawyers while your unuseable unit just sits and you still have to pay for it while it drags on and on. If that's your choice, good luck with that, but I wouldn't suggest advising others to do it unless you've gone thru it yourself and you actually know what your talking about Sorry, this is just my opinion based on personal experience .............. Dave

California Lemon Law 1793.22.
    (a) This section shall be known and may be cited as the Tanner Consumer Protection Act.
    (b) It shall be presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been made to conform a new motor vehicle to the applicable express warranties if, within 18 months from delivery to the buyer or 18,000 miles on the odometer of the vehicle, whichever occurs first, either
    (1) the same nonconformity has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the nonconformity or
    (2) the vehicle is out of service by reason of repair of nonconformities by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 calendar days since delivery of the vehicle to the buyer. The 30-day limit shall be extended only if repairs cannot be performed due to conditions beyond the control of the manufacturer or its agents. The buyer shall be required to directly notify the manufacturer pursuant to paragraph (1) only if the manufacturer has clearly and conspicuously disclosed to the buyer, with the warranty or the owner's manual, the provisions of this section and that of subdivision (d) of Section 1793.2, including the requirement that the buyer must notify the manufacturer directly pursuant to paragraph (1). This presumption shall be a reputable presumption affecting the burden of proof, and it may be asserted by the buyer in any civil action, including an action in small claims court, or other formal or informal proceeding.

Spyder Garage

Not a huge update but talked to customer service rep Damien at BRP today who was assigned my case. He confirmed that the new engine arrived at the dealer and that the tech would spend all day Friday on it. Also wanted to let me know that the tech and service manager are going to school with BRP next week which the dealership told me about. Discussed the whole extended warranty issue. He told me that they would normally extend the warranty by six months. I explained that in about 30 days my riding season here in Iowa is going to end for about 6 months. So......after a little discussion we arrived at 12 more months. That would be three seasons of riding.....seems reasonable. Thoughts?

Dealer also called me to review the status. Asked if the loaner is doing OK for me. Since it has now crossed the 100+ mile barrier, I assume it will be OK. Now what is a little irritating is I cannot install the mods I bought for my bike (ram mounts, passenger armrests). Could be worse though. Overall still satisfied with BRP and dealer support.

I had clutch go out in a jet ski Rotax supercharger. This was a part that BRP knew was defective but decided to fix them as they failed. Fixed under warrenty. That lasted 3 hours before bits of it got somewhere it shouldn't and pushed a piston out the side of the block. It cost me $7k to fix that and it lasted 3 hours. The next one I didn't pay for and it burned a quart of oil an hour. The next one I gave it and the jet ski to my landscaper without ever running it. I understand that he has had good luck with it. This little fiasco took place while the same dealer was ruining my Spyder engine.

Bottomline is you need a new machine. That warranty is not much good if your bike becomes a hangar queen as both my jet ski and bike did. For those of you wondering all of the above work as well as service on the mentioned machines was done by a well regarded (except for me) dealer. Good luck. You need a new bike and a reset on everything. Doesn't it bother you that 'the tech and service manager are going to school with BRP week.' One would have to wonder what they have been doing since 2007.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a question...
    Does the new engine come with the transmission and whirly-bits in place also?
    If it does; why would he "need" a new machine?

If it doesn't... what then??
    I'm real happy to hear that progress is being made!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Get a new bike! that isnt right! let the dealer "deal" with BRP on it. We got our Spyder in June and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! please dont give up on them... but I do think they should just give you a new bike... just saying..

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    Some here seem to think I was bashing CanAm, that is not true, I was saying that CanAm is new to motorcycles unlike Harley with over 100 years of building them.

I also know that the co. build's acft. engins, jet ski's [I own one], and snowmobile's and probley a lot of other product's, what got me all bent out of shape was that after 89 miles the new owner was left hanging while the the dealer had long phone conv. with the co. plus having to send them some of the broken parts to look at, plus the co. had to even "think about" replacing his new spyder .
    Just sounded like to me the co. was a little slow about what they were going to do. In my opin. I think because of forum's like this is the only reason they acted as they did, and did what was right.

I still like the look's of the new spyder, and I'll be watching this forum for more story's to help me make up my mind [what little I have left].

We received our Spyder in June, its a 2012, and we have had NO issues at all! we have around 2200 miles on it, drove it from Tennesse to Florida and back again. We love it!

Registered Users DaveInWoodland's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear that this is going on for you. It unfortunately is one of the reasons I decided not to buy. In all the years i have been in this sport (42) I have never seen a collective group as I have in Sypder owners that seem to be very tolerant of a product that at least to me looks to be overly problematic compared to any of the two wheels I own or have owned.

I wish this was not the case as I really wanted to put one in my garage, but I just could not tolerate what you're going through without blowing out a blood vessel.

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry, but you are likely screwed on this one.

If my experience and others out here is any example, you just may have been totally screwed! Im really sorry and unfortunately it sounds like you had no opportunity to really ride this thing before yours went nuclear. All those saying that the Rotax platform is proven are probably those that have not had an engine explode on them yet. When it does they will change their tune.

So Cam chain breaking, like my clutch exploding, are both reasons for an engine to completely come apart. That's a solid platform? Sounds about as fragile as they come.

Get a lawyer now! They will piece part your engine back together and the parts are perpetually on back order. They are liars. Telling to me for months any BS line to avoid owning the problem for a bike under warranty and will try to blame the dealer for everything. Do not take their word for it!!!!

My bike has been in the shop for 6 months on the latest visit with an exploded engine and 10 months since initial ownership. They do not care. The one guy who could help is MIA and the new team doesn't get paid enough to care. Get a lawyer!!
    J

Mods -
    TBR Dual polished, Juice Box, Robobracket/MadStad wind shield, Kuraykan ISO grips, Throttle Boss, and Kewl-Metal Helmet lock ends, Kewl-Metal Mirror extensions, Evoluzione Power Bus & Sway Bar, Green perfromance filter, wrapped pipes, Spyder Passenger bag, Full Gerbing heated/armored suit, Gerbing gloves and insoles, Ball bearings in the bars, pigtail for heated gear, spring for trunk.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Didn't Danny DeVito say in one of his movies that Lawyers are a lot like nuclear bombs; good to have just in case, but they sure do "mess" things up when used?
    Maybe it was in, "Other Peoples' Money"...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder owner having buyers remorse

Jsmiley appears to be off his meds

Sent by morse code from a hidden bunker
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

It keeps on getting more interesting. The OP and they (the dealer & BRP) seem to be taking care of the problem.

Jsmiley: Do we really need the what if's, coulda, woulda, shoulda stuff? Or are you just looking for a platform to rant on the product. Start a rant post and join up with the other couple ranters who wanted to get their .02 in, and probably did not care less about the OP. Have not heard from one of the ranters in about a year--but he's back to remind everyone of the problem--even though I believe he got rid of his long ago. I wont mention names--but the regulars know who.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-22-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Wow, really sorry to hear that,it will all work out, it is under warranty so they will have to fix it... Good Luck
    'Bikeless'

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jsmiley View Post
    If my experience and others out here is any example, you just may have been totally screwed! Im really sorry and unfortunately it sounds like you had no opportunity to really ride this thing before yours went nuclear. All those saying that the Rotax platform is proven are probably those that have not had an engine explode on them yet. When it does they will change their tune.

So Cam chain breaking, like my clutch exploding, are both reasons for an engine to completely come apart. That's a solid platform? Sounds about as fragile as they come.

Get a lawyer now! They will piece part your engine back together and the parts are perpetually on back order. They are liars. Telling to me for months any BS line to avoid owning the problem for a bike under warranty and will try to blame the dealer for everything. Do not take their word for it!!!!

My bike has been in the shop for 6 months on the latest visit with an exploded engine and 10 months since initial ownership. They do not care. The one guy who could help is MIA and the new team doesn't get paid enough to care. Get a lawyer!!
    I'm really sorry to hear about your experience and believe me I was pretty hot when it blew. I work with a lot of lawyers and know firsthand it shouldn't be your first step. I've had people try that with me and all it does is make me resolved to make things as hard as they can be. I can be stubborn as a mule if I want to be. No, I want to be fair if I am dealt with fairly. So far it looks like everyone is trying to do that. If the problems keep coming, then I know how to elevate the issue and I am very prolific at knowing how to communicate my story. For now the dealer has confirmed recipt of a completely new engine and associated new parts. Let's see where this goes from here.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For now the dealer has confirmed recipt of a completely new engine and associated new parts. Let's see where this goes from here.
    A new engine is the way to go.
    Make sure that the new engine will have warranty!
    My engine #2 (purchased brand new, installed in Can-Am Spyder Dealership) had zero miles warranty, in writing (if BRP Legal Department wants to see the letter, just email the request, they have the address).
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Glad it on the road to recovery.

Cedar Rapids!!!!

For the past 3 weeks saw a lot of tractor-trailer rigs in NV, UT, CO, AZ, NM that were headquartered in Cedar Rapids & yesterday flew over it flying from Vegas to Montreal. Small world as the Spyders come from here.

Spyder Garage

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience and believe me I was pretty hot when it blew. I work with a lot of lawyers and know firsthand it shouldn't be your first step. I've had people try that with me and all it does is make me resolved to make things as hard as they can be. I can be stubborn as a mule if I want to be. No, I want to be fair if I am dealt with fairly. So far it looks like everyone is trying to do that. If the problems keep coming, then I know how to elevate the issue and I am very prolific at knowing how to communicate my story. For now the dealer has confirmed recipt of a completely new engine and associated new parts. Let's see where this goes from here.

If I'm counting correctly all of the above transpired in just EIGHT days from the FIRST post. Not too shabby if ya ask me. Perspective is in rationed supply these days.

I'm very happy that this is progressing in a favorable way and hope that you enjoy many miles of smiles from your spyder for many years.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post

If I'm counting correctly all of the above transpired in just EIGHT days from the FIRST post. Not too shabby if ya ask me. Perspective is in rationed supply these days.

I'm very happy that this is progressing in a favorable way and hope that you enjoy many miles of smiles from your spyder for many years.

I've been watching this thread, and I agree, it's moving along quicker than I would've guessed.
    ---------
    Jive
    Beckley, WV
    2012 Pure Magnesium Metallic Spyder RTS SM5, SpyderPops Belt Guard

Spyder Garage

I spontaneously decided to buy my Spyder. I left $1000 to hold it. I immediately went to my insurance agent who was so excited for me that she said she would book me for the skills portion of the motorcycle license in 3 days. (My mc license had expired a few years back.) I called the dealer in Surrey, who said they would be closed for 2 days but they would finish assembling it and bring it to me the next day. When it arrived I was told that there was a problem with the left signal not working properly and that they would fix it after my skills portion of the test was completed. After I passed the skills portion, they brought me a loaner (2.5 hr round trip from shop to house and back) and told me to practice and use it for my road test. They then delivered my Tas immediately after I completed the road test. They made 3 trips to help me out. It's not a big deal in the mad scheme of things but it certainly is comforting to know that they stand by their product. When I took Tas in for her 600-mile service, I spent the time getting to know the staff, their background and view points. This site imparted so much valuable knowledge that I was able to get a good feel for Tas and the people behind her. I hope this little story will brighten someone's day. Sarah

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm happytohear about the outcome of this problem. The 2 nearest dealers to me at bothe 125 miles away. I think about how Harley has dealers about every 50 miles or so in any direction, and no matter which one you go to with a Harley service need, they treat you well and with consistent service. But they've been building their dealer network for a hundred years.

Im banking on the fine reputation of the Rotax engine, and looking forward to a lot of years riding my Spyder -or his Spyder successor someday. Just think, your grandkids will tell their children about how their ancestor was one of the first Spyder owners ever!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I was near the dealership today so decided to stop by and see he the Spyder was progressing. Went to the service area and they asked if the could help me. I said I was there to see how my dead Spyder was. The young man said "Oh, you are THAT guy!". Yeah, I am that guy....

Tech was wrenching on it. He said he was about ready to fire the new engine up. We chatted briefly and the tech said he was probably going to put about 100 miles on the new engine to ensure everything was top notch. I said that was fine. I have put over 400 miles on the loaner bike so I figure we are doing OK. Had my 12 year old son with me. He said we have to now rename the bike since it has a new engine. So my blue Spder is no longer Pappa Smurf, it is Frankensmurf. Hopefully soon I will be able to yell "It's alive!"