Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Angry New Spyder owner having buyers remorse

New Spyder Owner -buyer's remorse
    Hello all. I have ridden motorcycles for some time and decided to get something
    that my wife and I could both ride. We did a lot of research on the Spyders and last Friday bought a 2012 RT-S SE5. It's a beautiful machine and we were so excited. It's a blue one so we named it Pappa Smurf.

First couple of rides my wife was just in love. Very comfortable, fun to ride. On Sunday my 12 year-old son rode it and my 9 year old daughter was about to. This is where my buyer's remorse starts. At the 86 mile mark (total miles, this is new) it completely shut down while accelerating. Was in 4th gear, maybe about 50 mph. Shut down suddenly and completely. Orange CHECK ENGINE screen. Sounded awful and LCD screen became this washed out white, hard to read display. 86 TOTAL MILES! Had to quickly pull over, thank God it wasn't heavy traffic or we could have had an accident!

Called tow truck, took back and us back home. Dealership spent a few days trying to figure it out. Said they haven't seen this before.
    Here is where we stand today. Head tech says that the cam chain broke and metal all over inside the engine and now there are likely all kinds of issues. They asked Can Am for a new motor, which they didn't say no to but they also didn't say yes too. It strikes me as incredibly bad that Can Am didn't just offer up a replacement motor or bike. If I bought a new car and put 86 miles on it and then it did something like this, I think it likely that they would just find another unit and say here you go. So strike one for customer friendly.

Tomorrow I may find out if they say yes to a new motor. If they say no, gotta rebuild it, my tech already has expressed concern that they will find all the metal pieces. Plus they will have more tied up in labor and part than a new motor would cost. Not to mention that I will be without the bike WAY longer. That would be strike two and three. Who treats customers like this? I hope not Can Am. If I sound frustrated I am. I just want to ride the bike. I had to back out of a ride this weekend and if this doesn't go well I suspect I will miss out on a few more..... Now I'm wondering just what I have gotten myself into.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Farmbanker View Post
    that my wife and I could both ride. We did a lot of research on the Spyders and last Friday bought a 2012 RT-S SE5. It's a beautiful machine and we were so excited. It's a blue one so we named it Pappa Smurf.

First couple of rides my wife was just in love. Very comfortable, fun to ride. On Sunday my 12 year-old son rode it and my 9 year old daughter was about to. This is where my buyer's remorse starts. At the 86 mile mark (total miles, this is new) it completely shut down while accelerating. Was in 4th gear, maybe about 50 mph. Shut down suddenly and completely. Orange CHECK ENGINE screen. Sounded awful and LCD screen became this washed out white, hard to read display. 86 TOTAL MILES! Had to quickly pull over, thank God it wasn't heavy traffic or we could have had an accident!

Called tow truck, took back and us back home. Dealership spent a few days trying to figure it out. Said they haven't seen this before.
    Here is where we stand today. Head tech says that the cam chain broke and metal all over inside the engine and now there are likely all kinds of issues. They asked Can Am for a new motor, which they didn't say no to but they also didn't say yes too. It strikes me as incredibly bad that Can Am didn't just offer up a replacement motor or bike. If I bought a new car and put 86 miles on it and then it did something like this, I think it likely that they would just find another unit and say here you go. So strike one for customer friendly.

Tomorrow I may find out if they say yes to a new motor. If they say no, gotta rebuild it, my tech already has expressed concern that they will find all the metal pieces. Plus they will have more tied up in labor and part than a new motor would cost. Not to mention that I will be without the bike WAY longer. That would be strike two and three. Who treats customers like this? I hope not Can Am. If I sound frustrated I am. I just want to ride the bike. I had to back out of a ride this weekend and if this doesn't go well I suspect I will miss out on a few more..... Now I'm wondering just what I have gotten myself into.
    I have been there with cratered Rotax engines. In my experience they cannot be fixed. I went through 4 engines and $7k before I realized how weak BRP dealer network is. Walk away. Never look back

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder owner having buyers remorse

I hope they get this sorted for you quickly.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Thats awful...demand a new bike IMO.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Ouch! If it's any consolation to you, this isn't a common (or even uncommon) problem. The Rotax engines are usually quite sturdy. I hope you get things resolved to your satisfaction is short order.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Recluze View Post
    I have been there with cratered Rotax engines. In my experience they cannot be fixed. I went through 4 engines and $7k before I realized how weak BRP dealer network is. Walk away. Never look back
    Are you saying he should ask for his money back? "Walk away. Never look back" Me confused...............
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Wow, I sure hope they treat you right and get you satisfied. So sorry for your troubles.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Dead smurf

Thanks for the responses. I have to say I really want to love this bike and I want to be a satisfied customer. I also want to be reasonable but there is a part of me that just wants BRP to show some concern. Someone to see that I JUST bought a bike to ride and here a week later I still have nothing. Someone who cares that I just spent a whole lot of money for a product and that maybe they should do something so I would have product in my hands enjoying it right now. I fear based on posts I have been reading since this happened that it could be a very long time before I have a spyder to ride. That's when I get to thinking I should just demand a replacement bike. Would that be unreasonable? Has anyone ever heard of BRP doing that? I'm frustrated.....

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am sorry to hear about your problems, I am having second thoughts about coming
    back to the Can AM Spyders after my bad experience and reading about all the the other
    problems they are still having and BRP not going the extra mile for its customers like they
    should. I think if it were me I would want my money back or at least another bike!
    I hope BRP does the right thing for you and it all works out for you!
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Wow, that would leave me quite upset to say the least. I wouldn't lose hope just yet, as there have been some people with very good experiences with BRP. Hoping you turn out to be one of them!
    ---------
    Jive
    Beckley, WV
    2012 Pure Magnesium Metallic Spyder RTS SM5, SpyderPops Belt Guard

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the responses. I have to say I really want to love this bike and I want to be a satisfied customer. I also want to be reasonable but there is a part of me that just wants BRP to show some concern. Someone to see that I JUST bought a bike to ride and here a week later I still have nothing. Someone who cares that I just spent a whole lot of money for a product and that maybe they should do something so I would have product in my hands enjoying it right now. I fear based on posts I have been reading since this happened that it could be a very long time before I have a spyder to ride. That's when I get to thinking I should just demand a replacement bike. Would that be unreasonable? Has anyone ever heard of BRP doing that? I'm frustrated.....
    Dead Smurf????????

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: New Spyder owner having buyers remorse

I remain the eternal optimist. The Rotax platform is a proven and solid platform, so I wouldn't be too concerned there. It would cost BRP way less to replace the engine than repair it and risk a second malfunction and subsequent lawsuit and even worse, a case against them for injuries due to poor repairs. I would be equally upset under the circumstances, especially if you ran the risk of an accident. This really does sound like a faulty part and with anything mechanical, there will be some low rate of failure. I would make a case for a new one with the dealer, as calmly and respectfully as possible. It's always easier, if they are on the side of the customer. Any good dealer would want a return customer, so fighting for you would be in their advantage.

Even if an engine replacement is the offered solution, I can't imagine it happening twice. Like most, I prefer non tinkered with machines, but there isn't much that can be done on these without some disassembly, so they do get "tinkered" with status pretty quick. I would see if the dealer would send the headers off to be ceramic coated or something cool as a trade off, during the replacement. You have some leverage under the circumstances, so I'd use it. JMHO

There are a few horror stories with these machines, but there are way fewer dissatisfied owners, than appears. Problems get recognition and very few ever post asking for a solution to a great problem free day, week, month or year.

Spyders are awesome, complex and super fun machines, so hope you decide to keep it. Keep us posted.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Spyder Garage

Wow... I would wait for BRP to come back on the answer. Dealer played with it a few days, and today reports to BRP, and they have not refused a new motor, or even a new bike... It may them a day to figure the logistics out...but I am sure they will do you good..

I hope you are back on the road shorty...and I would discuss a loaner from your dealer while you wait...

Good luck...

"Called tow truck, took back and us back home. Dealership spent a few days trying to figure it out. Said they haven't seen this before."

"Here is where we stand today. Head tech says that the cam chain broke and metal all over inside the engine and now there are likely all kinds of issues. They asked Can Am for a new motor, which they didn't say no to but they also didn't say yes too"

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wow, I hope you get your problem resolve. My spyder has been in shop for 4+ months with engine locked down and i hope you don't go thru what i have had to deal with, Whole summer no bike. Also my bike could have resulted in an accident when it broke down. I wish you good luck with BRP .

Spyder Garage

At first read, it sounds like you got a bad machine. It would be good if we could hear more details of exactly what may have happend. Did the 12 year old drive the bike or just have a ride on it while the adult was driving it? You know the Spyder is a highly technical machine--did something bad happen when the 12 year old was aboard?

If you got a bad machine out of the box--I would say a new machine is in order at the 86 mile mark--I cannot see how they could refuse such a request.

I don't recall this happening to anyone at that mileage.

As much information as you can supply would be helpful.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default your situation

I would keep this info to yourself,.....find out exactly what the " lemon " law says in your State....you could be covered for a whole new Spyder wether they like it or not......But don't ask them what the law is and do not threaten anyone....or it's all over except for the lawyers and you don't want to go there.......IMHO Mike

Spyder Garage

86 miles is grounds to demand (politely) for a new engine or better yet a new Spyder. I speak from experience. I had a brand new (0 hours) BRP boat that had problems. They went to great lengths to make it right and they did. I asked nicely but firmly. I didn't get a new boat but the problem was completely resolved and it cost them a lot of money to fix it but they came through. When a product is brand new there's no argument over whose fault it is and the dealer or the BRP should resolve the situation to your satisfaction.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post
    Are you saying he should ask for his money back? "Walk away. Never look back" Me confused...............
    He should get a new Spyder or his money back . IMHO and experience it will never be right. It wasn't right to start with and there is no one in the dealer network with the skills that will make it right. Even changing out the engine will lead to more problems, in my experience. The Spyder is a well engineered machine. If it is built right one should get years of reliable service out of it. What happened here is unfortunate.

I honestly believe that BRP will give him a new machine. They should take the one he has back and try to determine what went wrong. But in the end they are in the business of selling machines, not making people happy.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Spyder Garage

I honestly believe that BRP will give him a new machine. They should take the one he has back and try to determine what went wrong. But in the end they are in the business of selling machines, not making people happy.

Let me tell you if they don't make people happy, they won't sell machines.. Then didn't get that big by treating people poorly!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The dealer should, at least, offer you a loaner bike to ride. This will give you time to ride as it sounds like it will be in the shop for a long time.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Angry Mike, just an FYI, its sad but many states Lemon Laws don't cover MotorCycles

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I would keep this info to yourself,.....find out exactly what the " lemon " law says in your State....you could be covered for a whole new Spyder wether they like it or not......But don't ask them what the law is and do not threaten anyone....or it's all over except for the lawyers and you don't want to go there.......IMHO Mike
    Iowa
    Motorcycle Lemon Law in Iowa

Iowa Lemon Law does not cover motorcycles. However, the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that the manufacturer of any product — from your toaster to your lemon motorcycle — must abide by the warranty

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Actually, the Rotax engines can be fixed and improved with the proper parts and technicians: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post512612
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

First the rotax engine is a proven, rock solid engine and been used in racing bikes and production bikes for years. Most of the issues that get reported here are to do with electronics and normally due to poor set up at the dealer.

There may seem to be lots of issues here but that's the nature of forums you mainly see the bad stuff, there are many thousands of trouble free happy spyders owners out there.

This is he first I've seen or heard of, with the engine so please don't let that put you off. Although if I was in your shoes I would be some what worried too. BRP will do the right thing just give them a few days to go through their process.

Try and stay calm at all times be factual, document every thing, ask for statements in writing from both the dealer and BRP. Never mention legal, courts, lawers it will get you no where and you could lose all support/help you may get. In a polite way take the stance that the two acceptable options are, totally new bike, that's what you want, but if you had too you would take a NEW engine, that's the lowest you would go. Rebuilding the current engine should not even be an option.

The hardiest part here is keeping your emotions out of it, very easy for me to say I'm not in your situation. Stay polite, professional and calm, make sure after each conversation that you full understand where your at now, what the next action item is, time frame and importantly who's is saying what. Is the dealer or BRP making the statement.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post

Don't mention this to anyone but find out the states lemon laws and TIME frame. I had a ford that was a lemon, the dealer strung me a long until I ran out of time, 60 days to file lemon law case.

Good luck, keep us all posted, I know it going too, but try not to let this spoil what can be a great machine and lots of fun.

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This sure does stink, and I feel for you guys! Rotax does build solid and reliable engines; this was an exception; but it doesn't make you feel any better...
    No brainer here: they'll have to do something about this; I'd lobby for a new bike since this one has so very few miles on it...
    Good Luck, and please keep us in the information loop!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    At first read, it sounds like you got a bad machine. It would be good if we could hear more details of exactly what may have happend. Did the 12 year old drive the bike or just have a ride on it while the adult was driving it? You know the Spyder is a highly technical machine--did something bad happen when the 12 year old was aboard?

If you got a bad machine out of the box--I would say a new machine is in order at the 86 mile mark--I cannot see how they could refuse such a request.

I don't recall this happening to anyone at that mileage.

As much information as you can supply would be helpful.

My 12 year old was just along for the ride. The only person to ever drive this unit was me. Machine was brand new. Had 1 mile of me test riding it at the dealership when I left.