Spyder Garage

Default No Runs No Drips & No Errors.

Thought I would share my latest Spyder adventure. For the past few years I have been getting together with old friends for our annual summer ride. We are east coast guys so in the past most of the rides have been in the northeast or places like Key West. Last year we road to Thunder Bay, Sturgis, and the Black Hills. This year after and evening of drinks and tossing ideas around the decision was made it was time to check one more off our "bucket list" so decision was made were going to Yellowstone. Fast forward to July 27th and I’m off to Lexington, KY from my home in Knoxville to meet up with three of the gang coming from Northern VA.

The next morning we hit the road to Topeka, KS and from there on to Denver to meet up with two more for this epic journey. Three days and 1500 miles of 100+ temps, topping out at 111 in Kansas was a real beat down but it never broke our sprits as we rode across this great country. This was the fourth time I have driven across Kansas in July/August once on the Spyder and three times before in my 67 none ac corvette and it’s always the same, flat, boring, and HOT!

We spent the next two days exploring Colorado and even drove up Mt. Evans, the highest paved road in the states at 14130 ft. At this point we now have 4 Harley’s, a Guzzi, and my Spyder. The Harley’s even with their tanks full of octane booster were pinging like crazy climbing Mt Evans but the Guzzi and Spyder drove up without any chatter. I do have to be truthful here my check engine light came on around 13250 ft but cleared as soon as we started to descend. What can I say we were all gasping for oxygen up there!

From Colorado we headed north to Wyoming and Yellowstone. Wyoming is a gorgeous state with phenomenal scenery and vast wide open spaces but a word of caution if your ever driving their pay attention to the speed limits. We found the only Trooper within 1000 square miles or should I say he found us and nailed all of us for 8 mph over the 65 mph limit. Can you image if they pulled every car over on 95 for 8 mph over the posted limit there would be a backup from NYC to Miami. For what it’s worth this was my first ticket in over 40 years.

After 6 days we finally made it to Yellowstone, this was my first time in the park and it was everything I expected and more. The first thing that struck me was just how big the place is. We entered from the east side by Grand Tetons National Park and we still had to ride 70 more miles to get to our hotel on the west side. From day one the park showed us why she is the crown jewel of our national parks and why so many visitors come from all corners of the world every year to experience her. We were driving to our hotel when everything came to a stop and then we saw why when one of the largest Bison I have ever seen came strolling down the road checking out the tourist. He was so close we could have reached out and touched him. From that point on if was none stop wild life, geysers, waterfalls, and incredible scenery.

After six days it was time to start the journey home but not without checking one more item off “the list” with a ride over Beartooth pass. I have read were this is considered by many to be the most beautiful highway in America and I have to agree, 11000 ft, year round snow, and some of the most incredible views I have ever seen. This is a must do for every two, three, or four wheel rider. After Beartooth we spent the night in Billings, MO and then beat it back home.

It was an incredible 15 days and 5322 miles with a lifetime of memories and best of all no issues. All the bikes ran flawlessly even the Harley’s and now the hard figure how to top this ride next year.

One side note, I warned everybody (the Harley riders) that fuel stops can take a little longer on a Spyder because if never fails that someone is always asking you questions about our Spyder’s or if they can take a picture. By the end of the trip my HD friends couldn’t believe how many people were asking questions or if they could have their photo taken on the Spyder. I think they were a little jealous. The best question came from a Harley rider in Sturgis, he wanted to know if you could put a beer keg in the frunk? I told him that I had never tried but that I would ask.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EddieK; 08-25-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

sounds like you had a heck of a good time. Thanks for sharing!

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Thanks for sharing such a Wonderful Adventure

One of these days, Teddy & I would like to make this trip as well

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Great post thanks for sharing. Where did you do your oil changes on the trip? Did you do your own?

Spyder Garage

Greatpost thanks for sharing..Brings back memories as I did that trip recently.I agree with you re The Beartooth.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    Great post thanks for sharing. Where did you do your oil changes on the trip? Did you do your own?
    The logistics just were not going to work to change the oil while we were on the road. I did change the oil just before I departed with synthetic and changed it as soon as I returned. I believe that I have read here that BRP has updated their recommend service intervals for oil changes from 3K to 5K so I’m not concerned.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EddieK View Post
    The logistics just were not going to work to change the oil while we were on the road. I did change the oil just before I departed with synthetic and changed it as soon as I returned. I believe that I have read here that BRP has updated their recommend service intervals for oil changes from 3K to 5K so I’m not concerned.
    I guess I would have done the same. But keep in mind that the increase in oil change mileage is only with the new larger oil filter and filter cover. I don't think that anything bad could happen with one long interval, probably be worse tring to do a change in a hotel parking lot!.