Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default PARKING PERMITS FOR ALL THREE WHEEL AND TWO WHEEL. MOTORCYCLES

IN BEVERLY HILLD "SUPER MARIO" WHO RIDES A SPYDRT G2 GOT A TICKET FOR PARKING IN AREA THAT YOU NEED A PERMT. WHERE WOULD IT HANG ROM THAT SOMEONE WOULDN'T STEEL IT?
    YOUR THOUGHT WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
    THANKS
    SCOTTYB

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question Guess it depends on what kind of permit it is

Most of our permits around my area are either sticker and can be affixed to one of the upper wind deflectors behind the shield or the license plate type that can be affixed to the plate.

If its one like our local college uses thats just like a plackered that hangs from the rear-view mirror, I'd inform the assigning agency of your situation of ryding an open-air 3 wheeler and get their suggestions. Maybe you could laminate it and then affix it to the upper deflector that way I'd be inclined to think if it was "Stuck" and affixed to the deflector, ppl wouldn't mess with trying to steal it, and it would also be visible, but hey, I've been wrong before But I'm sure the assigning department should be able to advise you much better than us Good luck and let us know how this works out for you

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We here have a "city sticker" that is a little metal dog tag thing that I have on my key chain cause I have heard stories about people stealing them and then you have to pay for a second one . So no offense they want to pull me over and ask me Yes I have it its right here and no it will not go on my bike .

Custom stock height carbon fiber wind screen
    Lamonster " custom" Spyder trunk decal
    Tricled Super white mini bulbs
    Tricled Cat eyes
    Spyderpops missing belt guard
    Custom Spyder Decals
    Carbon wheels
    PHANTOM * many other mods done *
    *Member of the Woodstock spyder ryders *

Spyder Garage

MY wife recently had her right foot operated on and it will be some time before she can put any weight on it. Even then, she may not have the strength to fully apply the foot brake. We added an ISCI hand brake to the RT for her as she wants to try things out once she gets the cast off and the pins removed from her toes.

In the meantime I went to the State tag office to obtain a handicap permit for her that has a six month duration. This is a laminated permit that hangs on the mirror of the car. I told the clerk that she rides a Spyder most of the time and that the permit would probably disappear quickly if she left it on the machine. She left to discuss this with her supervisor and several minutes later came back to tell me that my wife shouldn't ride her Spyder.

So I guess Georgia doesn't recognize handicapped motorcycle or Spyder riders.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    MY wife recently had her right foot operated on and it will be some time before she can put any weight on it. Even then, she may not have the strength to fully apply the foot brake. We added an ISCI hand brake to the RT for her as she wants to try things out once she gets the cast off and the pins removed from her toes.

In the meantime I went to the State tag office to obtain a handicap permit for her that has a six month duration. This is a laminated permit that hangs on the mirror of the car. I told the clerk that she rides a Spyder most of the time and that the permit would probably disappear quickly if she left it on the machine. She left to discuss this with her supervisor and several minutes later came back to tell me that my wife shouldn't ride her Spyder.

My wife was issued a handicap motorcycle license plate, here in Michigan, when she had the same problem. Hers was after they switched her to permanent handicap status, though. (As a result of living with me for all these years, no doubt!)
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

We are the government and we are here to help!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Sticker

The university I work at provides hang tags for automobiles and small stickers for motorcycles. The Spyder falls under the motorcycle definition and I have the small sticker attached to the lower portion of my windscreen.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a handicapped parking permit for my truck; it hangs on the mirror whenever I'm parked in one of those spots...
    Can I hang it on the bike? Sure! Willit be there when I get back...
    I don't park handicapped with the Spyder...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Handicapped plates are only issued to permanent applicants. Temporary requests get a placard in red so people can recognize it has an expiration date which is checked more often the normal placards or plate dates. Temporary plates are not issued as people paint over the red with blue and using it illegally harder to do on a placard do I have been told by NH dmv senior management.

If your wife drives a spyder as her regular or every day vehicle and has the placard registered to her spyder and not under her car I would suggest you take a picture of the placard and have it printed with note ( laminate it ) to be left on bike -- that if real one needs to be viewed please contact you. Police can check the placard # against the registration prior to ticketing and explanation can be given if ticket is given.

Or go back to the physician and explain situation and have him write for a permanent placard and turn in when no longer needed. All states have handicapped plates for motorcycles as long as its not temporary.

We have a permanent one for our bike and placard for our cars in NH. Sucky states haven't seen the flaw in hang tags for vehicles other then cars. Stickers are easily removed on other vehicles like bikes as well.

Someone needs to rethink the system at some point.
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, TricLED fender lights, TricLed Underglow kit (green), Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    IN BEVERLY HILLD "SUPER MARIO" WHO RIDES A SPYDRT G2 GOT A TICKET FOR PARKING IN AREA THAT YOU NEED A PERMT. WHERE WOULD IT HANG ROM THAT SOMEONE WOULDN'T STEEL IT?
    THANKS
    SCOTTYB
    What I would suggest that SuperMario do is fight the ticket. Permit parking in metropolis southern California is quite different than other places. I live not far from Beverly Hills, in Santa Monica, and even the street I live on unless you have a permit hanging or decal affixed to your vehicle you will only be able to park on the street for two hours during the day without a permit. After 6pm you must have one at all times. So I went to the police departments and asked them what I should do, and they said it is not necessary to display one for the same reason you gave scottyB, because someone could steal the visitors or residents permit. However they could ( parking meter maids) still mark your tires and if it has been parked in the same spot for more than the allotted time you could be cited.

So if he got the ticket unfairly I would first go to the citation or police department and ask how to get it reversed.

For those that are unaware this has nothing to do with handicapped stickers or plates. Just parking is at a premium, and so there are many restrictions in residential/ commercial mixed neighborhoods. With out these restrictions residents who pay a fee for the permits each year might not have a place to park when they get home.

i purchased for permit cards, two residents and two visitor tags to hang, if i have a party i can get up to 25 more.
    Last edited by TicketBait; 08-08-2012 at 12:24 AM. Reason: more info

Spyder Garage

DT, I have a blue mirror hanger card and the folks at the tag office said I could get a disabled tag for my Spyder at no cost.
    So, I removed my issued tag and took up to the tag office to exchange it. He's the rub. They don't too many calls for Motorcycle Disabled tags, so they don't stock them. Really?
    I have a tempory tag and I put the receipt part on the bottom with the Disabled part highlighted. Then I laminated it with packing tape.

Now in Oregon, they issue you a blue sticker that you can put on the area below the tag. I saw on of these on a Spyder in Durango and took a photo of it. I email it to the person in charge of GA taxes and tags department. Of course I've gotten no reply.

I would agree and go and see your doctor about some sort of disabled permit.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Not going to make too many friends with this, But the handicap spots should be at the back of the lot,
    Most can use the excise anyway. And don't get me started with those electric shopping carts for the overweight .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Not going to make too many friends with this, But the handicap spots should be at the back of the lot,
    Most can use the excise anyway. And don't get me started with those electric shopping carts for the overweight .
    No, you are not. I know some people abuse this, but wait until you are the one needing that spot. Or some company saying, you can oly part three wheel vehicle outside of our parking area. Ask some about home owners associsions.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

You won't makes friends with that statement is an understatement. I myself use a wheelchair ( manual) to get around and if I had to park in the back of the lot I'd get backed up into and hit since seated I'm hard to see when backing up all wheelchair users are. I've had to slam on people trunks to get them to stop numerous times and so has my significant other or they would have kept going. Making broad statements like that only make you sound ignorant. Not all people abuse the system and just need the exercise.

Sorry about thread hijack. Hope your friend got sticker issued solved and avoided having to pay the ticket
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, TricLED fender lights, TricLed Underglow kit (green), Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake

Spyder Garage

Statements like that would indicate you don't have many friends to start with.... or, you don't keep them very long.

You were trying to be humorous, right??
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Placards

I had a handicapped placard stolen off my Spyder. This ticked me off so I went to DOL and found out that WA will issue a motorcycle sized license plate. Shazam! 5 weeks to get it but I don't have to worry much about theft. I suppose someone could still steal the plate, but the "market" is a bit smaller as it is not the same size as a car plate and not as anonymous as a hanging placard. I get lots of stares from people who perhaps can't process a handicapped motorcyclist.

BTW, I would be more than happy to park in the back if that would remove the pain in my knees. If your comment was a joke, it was in questionable taste, IMHO.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Statements like that would indicate you don't have many friends to start with.... or, you don't keep them very long.

You were trying to be humorous, right??
    Quite a few are using / abusing the Handicap system, The ones that truly are handicapped i have no beef with'
    Just because someone can get a H/C placard doesn't mean they truly deserve it, .
    I know 3 of them that can walk to their tree stand clime up and stand there all day hunting but have to park up front at a store.

Spyder Garage

Quite a few are using / abusing the Handicap system, The ones that truly are handicapped i have no beef with'
    Just because someone can get a H/C placard doesn't mean they truly deserve it, .
    I know 3 of them that can walk to their tree stand clime up and stand there all day hunting but have to park up front at a store.
    If it truly bothers you, check and see if there is a way to turn the dr. in, if he/she initiated the paperwork for an H/C placard. And, I do realize that there is abuse; but, for me, I have more important things to think about. I would rather that there are no H/C parking spaces at the back of the parking lot; that's where I like to park.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks all for chiming in.

Thanks all for your feedback. I called the Beverly Hills parking force and finally got an answer on the situation. I was really surprised that they will issue a ticket and not have any definition on the on going problem themselves. Super Mario was parked only one time in this location for a short period of time. Neither a residenent of the area or handicapped. They either have a permeant sticker that was to be attached to the vehicle or have a temporary place card and or a handicap place card. All three don't work for this situation. So even their response was to either pay the fine or fight the ticket. They are aware that the clarity in this matter needs to be worked out.

So, Super Mario..."Fight the ticket"!

Also, it amazes me how dumb and ignorent a person can be when it comes to stupid statements like the one in this thread.
    It cheapens the message of using this message board. Several of my friends and Spyder owners like myself have had health issues to where we need the handicap placard. One day "boborgera" will understand.

THANKS
    SCOTTYB
    Last edited by ScottyB; 08-08-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

One day "boborgera" will understand.
    I kind of agree with you, but I hope for their sake they never understand and are allowed to keep their health.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

RE: Handicapped Stickers I have one for my car which is a hang tag on the mirror. I also have a separate one which I made a two sided copy of. That goes in a plastic bag and folds nicely on my Spyder's windshield. I affix it with a pair of clothes pins. I have never had anyone steal the tag--but also am pretty careful where I park.

To obtain a HC sticker in AK: You must fill out a medical form which has to be signed by a physician. They can be six months or permanant (three year) versions. They then have to be renewed.

The state has license plates for cars also. They used to have a HC sticker that you could affix to motorcycle plates--but that has been discontinued.

RE: Use of HC parking etc. There are a lot of people that abuse the system. Using anothers HC tag or vehicle in order to get close in parking--joy riding in mobility carts in grocery stores etc. Since I have had to use HC stuff I have become very aware of what HC people go through. I cannot walk more than 50 ft now without having to sit down. If I could walk right, I surely would relinquish the use of all the HC "priviledges".

I now own my very own walker--for help in getting around my house. When I went to Vegas in December, I had to use a rented wheel-chair to get around from place to place for the first time. I also own a wheel chair now at home. Once again, I would gladly trade these off if I could get around properly. There are a lot of people far worse off than I, so I try not to criticize anyone concerning this subject. Many times I have had to abort a shopping trip because all the close in parking places were in use, the mobility carts were either all in use, or not properly charged up. Even little things like trying to navigate a cart in a closely packed aisle, having people abruptly stop in front of you, or not pay attention and walk right in front of you when going down the aisle. The issues go on and on--but I am sure you have more than got the idea.

Just suggesting that those who have not had these issues, do not be to critical of those who do.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-06-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

arntufun

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's a special place in hell reserved for HC parking spot abusers. May their car doors be keyed and they slip in a pool of their own poop.

That said, I used to work in a facility that issued parking tags to hang off mirrors. When I told them I rode a motorcycle they shrugged their shoulders and said sorry. I found the solution in the form of a piece of clear adhesive vinyl. Just sandwiched the parking tag (with the hook cut off) between it and the inside of the windshield, like a window sticker. Problem solved.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    He'd better climb out of that cab using his prosthetic limbs and a cane.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I know that there is a lot of abuse of the handicap stickers and it steams me when I see someone park in a HC spot and jump out of the car and sprint into the store I however do have a handicap placard because I had polio and have limited mobility, parking as close as I can to the door really helps!! I made a two sided copy of my placard and put it on the Spyder so if it is stolen I still have the original. The Spyder is a great bike for those of us physical limitations.

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors