Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 1st ride on the interstate yesterday

We have about 500 miles on our Spyder and finally decided to test it out on the Interstate.... It was awesome! Love going 75! Our only complaint was the wind,not so much moving the bike around but moving our heads. We tried lowering the windsheild, etc., that makes the wind noise louder but it helped with not knocking our head around so much. I'm sure we will get accustomed to the noise level.

I see several posts on here about issues and/or problems with other's Spyders; I guess we are lucky, no issues so far but we still have low mileage. We are loving, loving, loving it. I was ticked off because we had to do housework and mow the yard and couldn't ride as much as I wanted. I'm about to hire yard guy and housekeeper.

It's best said by John Travolta in Wild Hogs, " I just wanna ride, Man"..........

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A full face helmet will help cut down on the wind noise. As you found out lowering the windshield keeps your head steady. Have fun.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HollyH View Post
    We have about 500 miles on our Spyder and finally decided to test it out on the Interstate.... It was awesome! Love going 75! Our only complaint was the wind,not so much moving the bike around but moving our heads. We tried lowering the windsheild, etc., that makes the wind noise louder but it helped with not knocking our head around so much. I'm sure we will get accustomed to the noise level.

I see several posts on here about issues and/or problems with other's Spyders; I guess we are lucky, no issues so far but we still have low mileage. We are loving, loving, loving it. I was ticked off because we had to do housework and mow the yard and couldn't ride as much as I wanted. I'm about to hire yard guy and housekeeper.

It's best said by John Travolta in Wild Hogs, " I just wanna ride, Man"..........
    I discovered last week that the windshield height will depend on your height. At 45, I ride around with it down, but when we went on I 95 last week, all the way up did cause alot of head buffetting. I started playing with the height, and found out that the smoothest ride with the least wind was when the top of the windshield was right about eye level. I got used to it though, and the ride comfort was well worth it.

Spyder Garage

Get you some ear plugs. I always wear them on the big road. Actually you can hear the radio better. Also you won't feel as tired after a long day.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited, Lees-sure Excell camper, Aluma MCTXL Trailer

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    A full face helmet will help cut down on the wind noise. As you found out lowering the windshield keeps your head steady. Have fun.
    we both have full face helmets...

Spyder Garage

I vote for adjusting the windshield height until you find that "sweet" spot.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My full face helmet makes more noise when it is down than when it is up. The air flow/noise on a motorbike seems to have an infinite number of variables. Wear earplugs is my answer. It makes my world more peaceful. You will eventually find the spot where everything works well for you.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

!@#$% THE HOUSE/YARD WORK.... GO RYDING!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Full faced helmet is the way to go on the interstate... especially when you pass the big rigs! Makes a big difference. My wife uses earplugs when she can.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb I've found a Happy combination

I've found what works best for me, is I wear the foam ear plugs we're required to wear at work, and then when at highway speeds, if I put the shield all the way up, I get buffeting on the back of my head, so I usually drop it down two bumps from the top, and thats the Sweet Spot for me, mind you, I'm only 5'9 and sit straight up on Teds Red Sled, which is an '11 RT-S
    And this works with wearing a ball cap (Save the Flaming for another thread please) forwards NOT backwards, without an issue And to help with buffeting, you can remove your middle clear plastic wind deflectors and you will be surprised at how much of a difference you can feel on your head. I was shocked, thinking it would only effect your trunk or torso, but the largest difference with them removed was felt at my head. Just saying, you might wanna give it a try for yourself. Its just 2 torx bolts on each deflector that holds them on. Take them off for a few rydes, especially at highway speeds, and see if you notice a difference or not Good Luck

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone! we both wear full face helmets with our sheilds down on the Interstate/highways...

(Save the Flaming for another thread please CYNCY, You're a grown man you can make your own decisions... no casting stones here....

Spyder Garage

I couldn't get my (Tallest available) windshield to eye level, unless I slouch & lower my head about 4". Still, never had a buffeting problem at any speed, and don't own a "full face helmet".
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

I wear the 2 helmets (For Summer) with the shield OFF. The drop down visor is solid and I wear Sturdy Sunglasses behind the visor just in case. The wind noise is Much, Much less without the shield and There are very Few Bugs in CT. My windshield might have 1 or 2 small specs after an all afternoon ride.
    Titan Ear buds with Classical Concert music and I,m in heaven!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I've been told, and read in helmet reviews, that not all helmets are the same when it comes to air moving around them at highway speeds. My wife and I have some basic entry level HJC CL-16 full face helmets. They aren't the greatest but they work pretty well at 70mph with our wind and face shield all the way down (I'm 6'4"). I've read some reviews that higher end helmets like Shoei are/can be better at faster speeds due to their aerodynamics. Maybe that only applies to street bike seating positions rather than touring (upright). It's a combination of factors most likely and helmets may be one factor.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HedonismBot View Post
    I've been told, and read in helmet reviews, that not all helmets are the same when it comes to air moving around them at highway speeds. My wife and I have some basic entry level HJC CL-16 full face helmets. They aren't the greatest but they work pretty well at 70mph with our wind and face shield all the way down (I'm 6'4"). I've read some reviews that higher end helmets like Shoei are/can be better at faster speeds due to their aerodynamics. Maybe that only applies to street bike seating positions rather than touring (upright). It's a combination of factors most likely and helmets may be one factor.
    I sit upright (6'4") on my RS and just recently changed from a modular HJC IS Max to a Bell RS-1 full face and the noise and wind differences are night and day. The Bell definitely wins out on both counts at any speed as I can turn my head without feeling like my neck is being pulled away from my body and the noise levels are down as well.

I ordered a MadStad windshield to help with the way I felt with my HJC on highways, but with the stock sport shield and my new Bell, I do not come close to feeling the pressure I had before. I will probably install the Madstad at some point, but for now the change of a helmet was all it took for me to feel more comfortable.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MindlessMuse View Post
    I sit upright (6'4") on my RS and just recently changed from a modular HJC IS Max to a Bell RS-1 full face and the noise and wind differences are night and day. The Bell definitely wins out on both counts at any speed as I can turn my head without feeling like my neck is being pulled away from my body and the noise levels are down as well.

I ordered a MadStad windshield to help with the way I felt with my HJC on highways, but with the stock sport shield and my new Bell, I do not come close to feeling the pressure I had before. I will probably install the Madstad at some point, but for now the change of a helmet was all it took for me to feel more comfortable.
    I'm glad you said that. We had planned on getting more expensive helmets later on but didn't want to drop another $1k or $1400 total on two high end helmets right off that bat--especially when we knew we wouldn't be doing long trips. I'll have to revisit helmets in a few months before our fall trip. So far (knock on wood) I don't feel like my head is going to be ripped off by wind. But I haven't been on the highway for more than 15 minutes at a time. 4 hours of trip time may take it toll