Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Hydroplaining - Is it an issue?

Reading through my manual I noticed strongly worded warnings concerning hydroplaining. They basically tell you to pull over if there's water on the road! I've ridden my two wheel bikes in all sorts of weather without a problem for years. Does the Spyder have an issue on wet roads, or is Can Am just making their lawyers happy? I haven't had a chance to ride in rain yet. Thanks!
    2014 RTS , Spyderpops oversized brake pedal Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's the lawyers basically playing "CYA"...
    But...
    You still have to slow down, avoid the DEEP water, and SLOW DOWN!
    (Did I mention slowing down?)
    I would actually be a bit concerned about catching a deep-enough puddle with just one front wheel... I wonder if it'd upset the stability of the machine and make it want to pivot around the one front tire?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd say of the 38,000 + miles on my Spyder at least 10,000 were in rain. I did hydroplane once but I was in need of a new rear tire and there was a lot of water on the road. I'll take 3 in the rain over 2 any day.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I would actually be a bit concerned about catching a deep-enough puddle with just one front wheel... I wonder if it'd upset the stability of the machine and make it want to pivot around the one front tire?
    And how much would "Nanny" intercede, or attempt to and make things more...unpredictable? That would be my concern: never knowing when she'd be there to slap your wrist, especially if your trying to recover from such an incident, only to make things worse.

Spyder Garage

In June we did a trip across MT, ID and WA we ran into heavy rain around Troy MT, the road had deep tire grooves and they filled with water, I was being followed by a couple of buddies on leaners (my name for 2 wheel motorcycles) and then all hell broke loose, I was slipping and sliding all over the place, freaked me out. Ended up driving on the shoulder at about 30mph for about 15 miles. After that any wet on the road make my pucker.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by waytootall67 View Post
    In June we did a trip across MT, ID and WA we ran into heavy rain around Troy MT, the road had deep tire grooves and they filled with water, I was being followed by a couple of buddies on leaners (my name for 2 wheel motorcycles) and then all hell broke loose, I was slipping and sliding all over the place, freaked me out. Ended up driving on the shoulder at about 30mph for about 15 miles. After that any wet on the road make my pucker.
    That's a good reason not to drive in the tire ruts.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coastrider View Post
    Reading through my manual I noticed strongly worded warnings concerning hydroplaining. They basically tell you to pull over if there's water on the road! I've ridden my two wheel bikes in all sorts of weather without a problem for years. Does the Spyder have an issue on wet roads, or is Can Am just making their lawyers happy? I haven't had a chance to ride in rain yet. Thanks!
    1st) Cars hydroplane too...
    2nd) I got caught on a torrential rain coming back from Spyderfest back in 2011. My wife was my 2 up and she was scared to death (and was I) and we ran into water puddles that I thought we were going to drown. I know that if I went thru those puddles on a 2 wheeler, I would probably not be writting this today.

So as the manual's warning on hydroplaning: just a legality... remember BRP makes See-Doos too so I guess they placed it on the Roadsters manual so they would not get confused.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    That's a good reason not to drive in the tire ruts.
    Like I read some where before with respect to pot holes...if you dont hit it with the front wheels your gonna nail it with the rear. I had 3 choices on that road, one front in rut and right front and rear out, both fronts out and rear in (that was the worst) or shoulder, I took the shoulder.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb The Spyder does just fine in the rain, as long as YOU ryde smart

Teds Red SLed (2011 RT-S) is our ONLY mode of transportation, year round so we ryde daily and in ALL weather conditions. Living in Northern Kentucky, we don't usually get all that much snow but we do get a fair amount of rain. Like anything else, its all about being prepared for the conditions. As others have stated, if you hit high water, SLOW DOWN!!! We've hydroplained many times, but in over 40,000 miles, its always been the rear tire, never the front. As soon as I notice that little feeling of the rear tire loosing cohesion with the road, I just slowly let off the throttle and as soon as you do that, you'll feel the rear tire resume its grip on the road-way again, then you slowly start rolling back on the throttle

Guess I've done it enough that its just par for the course when ryding in the rain and it doesn't even mess with me anymore 1st couple of times, not knowing what to expect and not letting off the throttle quickly enough and I was all over the place Like anything in lyfe, you live and you learn

Spyder Garage

RE Hydroplaning. The roads in Alaska have tire grooves in them due to studded snow tire use.
    When it rains hard the grooves fill with water.

I have hydroplaned twice in 50,000 miles of ing. The first time was scarry, the headed off in its own direction, the nanny kicked in and saved my bacon. The second time was similar.

In both instances I was crossing standing water at highway speed (traffic was going at plus 60).

Good tires, stay out of standing water at speed, and slow down are all good suggestions for avoiding this potentially dangerous situation. If I have to drive in these conditions I have found out that speeds of 50-55 mph lesson the chance of the climbing up on the water and doing her dance.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

When we were coming back from Spyderfest we drove in the rain for lots of miles with no problem. We were 2-up. I think the extra weight helps. Then recently I was on a trip with a friend 1-up and we drove in the rain for 200 miles. Highway seemed pretty good and I was going along about 65 mph. My rear tire has about 10k miles on it. I had the cruise set and the back tire broke loose and I heard the engine rev and my stomach was in the air. Nanny did not kick in. I figured it would have really. I slowed down a little and ran without my cruise for a while. Then I felt the whole bike brake loose. All 3 wheels. My friend was following me and he said he seen the the spyder floating on the road swiveling. I slowed way down then. Scared me pretty good. It really makes you feel differently about riding in the rain. I think when I get a new tire it will be better and especially when riding 2-up.

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

We hit wet roads last weekend, and I managed my first power slide on my RT. Ride it like a cage on wet roads & you'll be fine. Push it, and it'll act like a Z4 on ice….
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRyder View Post
    And how much would "Nanny" intercede, or attempt to and make things more...unpredictable? That would be my concern: never knowing when she'd be there to slap your wrist, especially if your trying to recover from such an incident, only to make things worse.
    Nanny has saved my skin many times when hydroplaning. When she feels the rear tire slipping sideways, the engine gets chugged down bringing the back tire back in line. Feels like a Guardian Angel watching over me.

Find a safe speed for the conditions, keep the front wheels going the direction you want to go, and let Nanny do her job.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

VERY wise advice!
    The only BRP product that won't hydroplane might be the Lear Jets... Or did they sell them off yet?

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Even jets will hydroplane, Given enough water and speed any vehicle will hydro, Common sense will keep it to a minimum, Deep water slow up, I'm going to bet most accidents with cars in the rain are from hydroplaning and the driver didn't even know that's why they slid off the road.

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry Bob different company

VERY wise advice!
    The only BRP product that won't hydroplane might be the Lear Jets... Or did they sell them off yet?

Bombardier still owns Lear Jet but they don't own BRP. Bombardier sold off the recreational products division years ago.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

On the GS/RS I have hydroplaned a few times. Nanny took care of it, but accelerating onto the freeway took a gentle hand on the throttle and a while to get up to speed. At no time did I feel threatened. The RT seems to be less prone to the hydroplaning, but I have had it happen once or twice. Once was at freeway speeds during rush hour. The cruise kicked out (should not have been engaged in heavy rain) and Miss Nanny corrected quickly. No problem whatsoever. I agree that the wording is BRP's way of CYA. Never let the lawyers help write the manual...never! Not to worry, the Spyder is stable and happy in the rain.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Nanny in action...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Nanny has saved my skin many times when hydroplaning. When she feels the rear tire slipping sideways, the engine gets chugged down bringing the back tire back in line. Feels like a Guardian Angel watching over me.

Find a safe speed for the conditions, keep the front wheels going the direction you want to go, and let Nanny do her job.
    My spyder has hydroplaned when riding in heavy rain and the nanny has come on and saved my skin and I wasn't even going fast . I went underneath a bridge where the pavement was dry to very wet conditions. I just let the nanny do her job and worried about steering.

Spyder Garage

I rode in a torental downpour for 60 miles 2 weeks ago. The water was running off there road like rivers, usually near a corner so I would not have much warning. I just let off the throttle and kept her steady and no issues at all. The traffic had slowed to about 30 but I was doing about 45 (60 mph road) most of the time. It was also snowing on and off fat wet show flakes that would hit like water balloons on my windshield but the bike tracked fine the whole time. By the way my back tire has 10,000 miles on it and the wear bars are showing in the middle so I was impressed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Bombardier still owns Lear Jet but they don't own BRP. Bombardier sold off the recreational products division years ago.
    I knew that somebody would know for sure... Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Even jets will hydroplane, Given enough water and speed any vehicle will hydro, .
    That's actually not hydroplaning; that's CRASHING!!

Spyder Garage

Default hydroplaining

I experienced hydroplaining yesterday in the rain. Scared the s##t out of me. I felt like I was going to roll. It happened very fast. One thing I know for sure is I saw water collecting on road instead of running off... I think the front wheel started hydroplaining first? Back end wanted to whip around to the front? Luckily it straightened out...

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coastrider View Post
    Don't let the comments freak you out. The Spyder has more rubber on the ground than a two wheeler and can hydroplane. Many of us run car tires that work well in wet conditions. That helps a great deal. Make sure you have plenty of tread, slow down and watch conditions, and you should be fine. The bike is more stable 2 up in those conditions.

Spyder Garage

That's the lawyers basically playing "CYA"...
    But...
    You still have to slow down, avoid the DEEP water, and SLOW DOWN!
    (Did I mention slowing down?)
    Any vehicle in rain should drive SLOWER
    CYA More so with how the tires wear in the center If you are close to replacing rear tire nanny will act sooner than you expect
    Personally have had hydroplaning in heavy rain on soft blacktop Louisiana pitiful quality roads.
    Slow sucked but got me home safe , & was right at limit of rear tire when I arrived (near bald)
    I learned a lot on that trip & not the way I would advise to try.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights