Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2011 RTS Pick up in 2 days

Sorry if this is a spam-esque question, but I'm trying to do as much due diligence as I can, and this seems to be the right place.

I put a deposit down on 2011 RTS. Dealer had several 2012, but the 2011 had lots of chrome and was discounted pretty nicely. Seemed like a good deal
    and in my limited research, I didn't see a real compelling reason to go 2012 in terms of new features. Lurking around multiple forums it seems like hit
    and miss in terms of whether owners have issues. Personally, I consider getting stranded or frequent 'limp mode' incidents an issue, whether it's easily handled or
    not.

Coming from 10 years of 2 wheel riding ( Kawasaki ZR7S and for last 5 years a HD Street Bob ). I'm looking at the Spyder in part because I've witnessed 2 riding buddies go down badly in the last 1 1/2 years, and I'm concerned for the safety of my girlfriend riding 2 up anymore. The Spyder just seems like it helps mitigate some of the biggest dangers of
    motorcycling. However, getting stranded out in the middle of nowhere is something I consider as putting my passenger in danger. Reliability is a real concern to me.

So, all of that being said ... I THINK I'm still going to pull the trigger. I have no visibility into whether my dealer is an accomplished Spyder servicer or not.

Question: What service bulletins should I question or insist that my dealer has taken care of before I leave the lot ?

Thanks much for reading and any responses.

Spyder Garage

and on your pending purchase. I cannot speak for you local dealer so cannot say good or bad.

Initial set up is a very important part of a purchase. The should roll out of the showroom with all required fixes completed.

Most will say there is not a lot of difference in the 2011-2012 models. If you got a good deal and are happy with your pending purchase--that should be good.

You hear more about the bad than the good when reading forums--specially non spyderlovers forums. This is a good place to get answers if you run into any problems.

Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If the dealer has preformed the updates, you should be fine...there are many people on this site with 2011 RT's who have enjoyed many miles of trouble free riding. I would buy the factory extended warranty!

Welcome to the Spyder family.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Post Teddy & I say Congrats on the pending New Ryde & Welcome to the SpyderHood

It was said before, but is important enough to be said again. Initial dealer set-up is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT with any new Spyder. I'd go as far as to ask your dealer to go over (WITH YOU) the Pre-Delivery Checklist. That way, you will be familiar with many of the Very Important Parts of your New Machine, where they are located, what are proper fluid levels & the correct way to check them. The Spyder is like NOTHING else on the road, and something as simple as checking the oil, is anything but standard procedure for any other machine out there. Not that it is difficult at all, just DIFFERENT than most.

Teddy & I have had a nightmare 2010 RT-S that the dealer rushed set-up, & it was one issue after another, so much so, it was in the shop more than on the road. After 11 months & 13,700 miles of frustration, we traded it for a 2011 from a Dealership that is known as 2nd to none in the country, Cowtown, & I've NOT had an issue with this Spyder, except a constantly hurting face from (so far) 26,500 miles of smiles Thank you Len

Your doing the right thing by posting here on SpyderLovers, its more than just a forum, its a close knit family that tries to help in any way possible. By doing your research & learning now, you are setting yourself up for a Great Experience

&

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and welcome to the family! There might have been a throttle body issue with the 2011s, so I'd ask about that. Otherwise it's just time to start logging miles and smiles!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

There is another forum for Spyder people??

I did something similar - bought the 2012 and then found a great deal on a new 2011. I don't notice anything different (other than the impact on my wallet was less severe)
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    and on your pending purchase. I cannot speak for you local dealer so cannot say good or bad.

Initial set up is a very important part of a purchase. The should roll out of the showroom with all required fixes completed.

Most will say there is not a lot of difference in the 2011-2012 models. If you got a good deal and are happy with your pending purchase--that should be good.

You hear more about the bad than the good when reading forums--specially non spyderlovers forums. This is a good place to get answers if you run into any problems.

Let us know what you decide.
    2x

Spyder Garage

I had that same choice to make back in November. I went with the 11 and its been a fantastic ride. I have three dealers here where i live and i did my research on this site to help me decide which one to use and i agree with everyone else on that. A good dealer is key to a great

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Firstly - thanks to everyone for their replies. It was extremely helpful information and the passion for the Spyder is very obvious.

I have to say that I decided to hold of on my purchase. In the end I just didn't feel comfortable with the 2011 and you gotta trust the
    ride you're on if you're going to be safe as well as enjoy it. I'm still very much wanting to be part of the 'family' sooner than later. I really
    like the black so hoping that the 2013 models may include that.

Again - really appreciate the information and take care everyone. Hope I'll be back soon.