Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Zumo 665 - What's Needed to Install to a 2012 RT SE5

Hello, I'm new here. I've been reading and searching the earlier posts about many things. I'm thinking of buying a Zumo 665 and want to mount it on the dash, however I would also like to run it into the RTS's audio system. I have read many of the ways you folks have put them on your dashes, but I'm not clear on integrating it with the stock RT audio. I think I may need the GPS support harness kit from Can Am to tie into with the Zumo 665 setup. I'm exploring which Ram mount will work best on the dash. I have XM radio in all my other vehicles, so that is why I'm considering the Zumo 665 versus the 660. I have an older XM Roadie (from my BMW 1150RT days) that I could rig up on a Ram mount on the handlebars and run the audio back to the trunk and power it from the fuel gage wiring and go with the Zumo 660 I suppose. The 665 would be a cleaner install, if I can tie into the RTS audio and the XM built-in receiver works OK. Thanks for you help.
    David
    2012 Spyder RTS SE5 - Sold

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have the 665 on my RT. Was installed with the BRP parts all the same hookup as the 660 just the addtional attena. They mounted it in the back somewhere where the brp xm attenna would go. All works well. GPS is just a bit quiet but everyone seems to say that.

Josh

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I had thought the 665 would not work with Can-Am set up. Does it integrate with the factory set up?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cmar157 View Post
    I had thought the 665 would not work with Can-Am set up. Does it integrate with the factory set up?
    660 and 665 are the same unit. 665 just has sat radio and traffic maybe some other stuff. Work just fine with the BRP stuff.

Josh

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cmar157 View Post
    It is correct that the 665 does NOT work with the factory setup in an RT-Limited. That being said, the issue is the Garmin 660 harness - that harness is not compatible with the XM radio antenna - even though it has all the same connections. You must replace the Garmin harness for the 665 to work correctly. The BRP factory harness (posted above by Lamonster) is required to integrate the audio output of the GPS with the BRP radio. That harness also supplies the power to the GPS.

Spyder Garage

That is correct.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Great info. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll be ordering the GPS harness this week. Now to shop for the Zumo!
    David

Spyder Garage

Default confused...nothing new

Ok, I want to go from the 660 that came with the 2011 limited to the 665. I want the xm capabilities since I can't bluetooth the brp radio to my internal helmet SRC system(schuberth) and the FM radio in the SRC is lacking when traveling to different areas.

So what are the steps that need to be taken to accomplish this once i purchase the 665?

thanks
    john
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    Ok, I want to go from the 660 that came with the 2011 limited to the 665. I want the xm capabilities since I can't bluetooth the brp radio to my internal helmet SRC system(schuberth) and the FM radio in the SRC is lacking when traveling to different areas.

So what are the steps that need to be taken to accomplish this once i purchase the 665?

thanks
    john
    Just replace the 660 harness with the 665 harness.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Just replace the 660 harness with the 665 harness.

Existing antenna is ok?
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Existing antenna is ok?
    The antenna comes with the 665.

Spyder Garage

I ordered the RT GPS Support and Harness from my dealer yesterday. They said Friday, hopefully. I suspect it may be next Tuesday. Still have to order the 665. Any feedback about either GPS City or The GPS Store as a source to buy from?
    David

Spyder Garage

According to the Garmin website the harnesses are the same for the 660 and 665 (part# 010-11270-03). So whats the difference?

Spyder Garage

I have not dealt with the GPS Store but I have dealt with GPSCity many times. Great vendor! Prompt, accurate, good customer service... They have never failed to impress me.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

On the 660 harness, the antenna connection is for the Garmin Traffic antenna. On the 665 harness, the antenna connection is for the XM antenna. The look the same but wired differently.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

It's the same part number for both.

Spyder Garage

Default from garmin site

Can I use my existing zumo 660 automotive and or motorcycle mounts with my zumo 665?

05/17/2010
    Although they look very similar, the zumo 660 cradles are not compatible and cannot be used with the zumo 665. Features such as XM will not work on the zumo 665 if the device is plugged into a zumo 660 automotive or motorcycle mount.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Default 660 vs 665

Lamont or anyone. Did you ever do a review on the 665 vs the 660?
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

10.57 gallons

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Post I can give you a review of the Zumo 665 but not a comparison as we've nvr had the 660

Lamont or anyone. Did you ever do a review on the 665 vs the 660?
    The Garmin Zumo 665 was and is the very first GPS unit that I've ever had experience with, minus using the Nav app. on my Droid for the previous 2 years. The Droid actually worked very well, got Teddy & I all the way to Florida & back, to Cowtown once but died on our trip back from SpyderFest 2011. Since the phone wasn't water-proof I put it in a ziplock baggy with a rubber-band around it & that worked pretty well. On the trip back from SF'11, it was a heavy downpour & I thought I should be safe, and sealed the ziplock baggy causing heat & condensation to build up with no where to escape & killing the phone Lesson learnedHence the purchase of the Zumo 665 that is weather resistant & made for MC travel.

At first, I hated it cause I didn't have the XM subsription with Nav Weather & Nav Traffic, just using the GPS by itself. The User Interface (pushing the buttons) isn't nearly as sensitive as my Droids, so that took some getting used to. I wish the overall size of the unit was a little larger, that way you could have larger keys to tap, all on one screen. You can increase key size, but then you have to go thru multiple pages of keys & that takes more time.

I have since added the XM subscription & really like the Nav Weather Alerts & the Nav Traffic Alerts as they work pretty well and are useful on daily rydes, when just cruising around, with no destination set, they will still alert you if there is Incliment Weather within like 50 miles of your current location or if the road/highway your currently ryding on has a traffic backup or delay, nice features but only with the XM subscription.

As for the XM music itself, I rarely use it, except for slow rydes. Not sure if I wired something incorrectly or what the reason is, but it seems the Volume when listening to XM music is about 1/2 that of all the rest of the audio output & at highway speeds, I can barely hear it. And yes, I've double checked ALL of the audio output settings (on GPS & RT) to make sure they are ALL at MAX & they are. I'm pretty sure the 660 & 665 are the same machines with the 665 having the added XM capability & antanae disc included. Not sure if there are other differences or not. We mounted the antanae on the upper right hand side wind deflector that sits directly behind the windshield, and found that is a good out of the way place for it, and we DO get pretty good reception, minus the usual caveats of bridges, overpasses and tree covered roads.

Due to my volume issue with XM Music, we mostly use the MP3 feature of the 665 & listen to my tunes that way, no need to carry or store an Ipod with all my files on the 665, very convenient.

It also has a picture viewer & audio books source that you can upload onto & listen or view at your pleasure.

As with any GPS, the 665 is very customizable, from maps, display, routes, searches & even has blueTooth so you can pair it with you phone & headset & take & place calls directly from the 665 head unit, very convenient features.

I'm sure there's plenty more that I could write about, but if anyone has particular questions about the Zumo 665, feel free to ask.

We got ours over a year ago, caught it on sale from an internet retailer for under $700 & mounted it to the top dash using a $30 Ram mount, and ABSOLUTELY LOVE THAT POSITION, as it now acts as a Heads Up Display not only showing your route ahead, but also the speed limit along with your current speed, making looking at the RTs LCD screen almost unnecessary. And when we get to the twisties, I zoom the screen in for a very close view, and since its right in line of sight being on top of the dash, its almost like having a cheat-sheet of the twisties directly ahead, which one may not be able to see, so you have a couple of extra seconds to prepare, LOVE THAT!!!

In conclusion, its not cheap & its far from perfect, but IMHO, its worth every penny if you use it frequently. Most of the time now, I love just cruising with no destination programmed & with watching the display I've found SO many off beat roads that were Awesome, that I never would have taken, had I not had it, for fear of getting lost or running out of fuel.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Dave!! When you say the volume is low, how are you listening to it? Bluetooth to helmet or open air listening direct from garmin or the BRP audio system?
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

10.57 gallons

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Thanks Dave!! When you say the volume is low, how are you listening to it? Bluetooth to helmet or open air listening direct from garmin or the BRP audio system?
    I rarely use the bluetooth except for the phone, never even tried it for music, as I don't have a BT helmet. I always just share my tunes with the world around me, so open air from the RTs Audio system.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Dave!!
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Default 660 versus 665 Harness

The info I have found is that the 660 original harness is now replaced by the 665 harness, it is backwards compatible with the 660. Garmin apparently sent out some old stock 660 harnesses in the past, but has stopped and the supply chain now has the 665 harness. Don't know why they would keep the same part #.
    David

Spyder Garage

Finally had enough time to install the Zumo 665 on my RTS SE5. The resources here made the task much easier to do. This was my first time removing the tupperware. I did end up removing more than I needed to do the dash top install, however it was a learning experience.

I was unsure how the dash would separate, I ended up using a plastic (to prevent marring) putty knife to slowly work it apart. I used a 2 bolt Ram diamond mount, some black 5 mm x 20 mm bolts with fender washers and nylock nuts for the dash mount. I ran the Zumo harness between the 2 dash pieces and out the front right side, there was a relief for existing wiring there. Fed the harness out from the back of the lights ( did not remove the headlight - used a long zip tie to fish things thru). I ran the the harness as shown in Ken Miller's videos. My 2012 RTS had zip tie locations molded in already, so I did not have to drill the 2 holes for them.

It all went back together nicely, no extra bolts afterwards!

I have not settled on a location for the XM antenna yet, currently under the frunk area. I ordered some items from GPS City that will be here this week that will let me try some other options.
    David