Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default And I Gave Up A Perfectly Good Goldwing for This

Well, here we go again! I just went out to the garage to check the Spyder RT out for a ride tomorrow morning. I had planned to ride in the NE Florida Ride For Kids benefiting the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation. I turned the key. It went through it's checks. I pressed the mode button and got an ABS Fault light on the dash. It won't start. The manual says to have it towed to a dealer. I am losing count on the number of problems I have had with this machine. I am tired of praying everytime I get ready to ride that it will start and I won't have any problems on my ride. Don't reply telling me about the growing pains of a new product. I am sick of hearing all of that. It is absolutely ridiculous for any vehicle to have this many problems, brand new or not. I am so disgusted right now, I would almost pay someone to take this headache off my hands. Those of you who haven't had any problems with your Spyder, you should be on your knees daily thanking God. When it works, it's a great bike. But the numerous problems are taking the joy out of the ride and ownership. I know I won't get any takers, but if someone would like to take this off of my hands, let's talk. I may go back to Goldwing and think about a Spyder in about 10 years.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Very sorry to hear about your issues

Its very frustrating when something you spend so much $$ on & enjoy ryde'n SO much, but it doesn't work right and you loose faith in that particular unit. We had a very similar issue with our original 2010 RT-S and found most of its issues were related back to the Original Pre-Delivery Set-Up being rushed and not gone thru properly, leading to cascading failure, one after another Sad is it is, it happens way more than it should. Now that we have our 2011 RT-S from Len at Cowtown, I can't begin to tell you the difference between units when the dealer knows what their doing and originally sets up the unit correctly We've got over 24,000 miles of smiles on our new Spyder in just under a year & LOVEIT

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    Its very frustrating when something you spend so much $$ on & enjoy ryde'n SO much, but it doesn't work right and you loose faith in that particular unit. We had a very similar issue with our original 2010 RT-S and found most of its issues were related back to the Original Pre-Delivery Set-Up being rushed and not gone thru properly, leading to cascading failure, one after another Sad is it is, it happens way more than it should. Now that we have our 2011 RT-S from Len at Cowtown, I can't begin to tell you the difference between units when the dealer knows what their doing and originally sets up the unit correctly We've got over 24,000 miles of smiles on our new Spyder in just under a year & LOVEIT
    did not help with my issues.

pitbull

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    did not help with my issues.
    The first step in recovery is admitting you have issues

Spyder Garage

tight battery cables,fusses,and relays.they vibrate loose.i check mine every 500 miles and found them loose,.kill switch,keep it on a tender all times not using.thats all i can think of,good luck.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gwing v. RT

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdreams View Post
    Well, here we go again! I just went out to the garage to check the Spyder RT out for a ride tomorrow morning. I had planned to ride in the NE Florida Ride For Kids benefiting the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation. I turned the key. It went through it's checks. I pressed the mode button and got an ABS Fault light on the dash. It won't start. The manual says to have it towed to a dealer. I am losing count on the number of problems I have had with this machine. I am tired of praying everytime I get ready to ride that it will start and I won't have any problems on my ride. Don't reply telling me about the growing pains of a new product. I am sick of hearing all of that. It is absolutely ridiculous for any vehicle to have this many problems, brand new or not. I am so disgusted right now, I would almost pay someone to take this headache off my hands. Those of you who haven't had any problems with your Spyder, you should be on your knees daily thanking God. When it works, it's a great bike. But the numerous problems are taking the joy out of the ride and ownership. I know I won't get any takers, but if someone would like to take this off of my hands, let's talk. I may go back to Goldwing and think about a Spyder in about 10 years.

I have a 2011 RT Limited and this past week the dealer did a download. This is the 2 or 3rd download and I gotta say, it runs so much better and smoother, shifts better too. I was so disappointed when I got mine, limp modes and such and now it has been running great. knock on wood....my radio and gps shut off when i go under high voltage tension power lines, the factory said the are sending a new radio, antenna, and iPod cable. They must have had trouble with others. Otherwise is a lot better but if you lose trust and faith in it, I would get rid of it too.

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I understand your frustration

I understand your frustration and only wish there was some way to help. I have been very fortunate so far. I only have 2200 miles on mine since purchase in Feb. but not a single problem yet and I don't want any. I do believe though that it helps to keep it on a battery tender when not in use. I am like you in that I have had 5 Goldwings all trouble free and would be very upset as you are if I had your problems. I wish you luck and and a fix for your problems.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

RT-S PE#0793
    Spyder Garage

If I were to get an ABS fault, the first thing that I would do is check the brake fluid level.
    Steve

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull View Post
    The first step in recovery is admitting you have issues
    Now that is funny However I have a TB degree, in LM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by manoman14 View Post
    If I were to get an ABS fault, the first thing that I would do is check the brake fluid level.
    That sounds like a good place to start... After that it's back to the typical electrical connections that seem to have caused all sorts of gremlins over the past several years... Please let us know what you find, and Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Are you using ----

---- the dealer on Atlantic Blvd?

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What a bummer. I have never had a speck of trouble with mine (I do pray on a daily basis). One of my Spyder buddies had your same experience. Finally got tired of the whole mess and traded it on a big Suzuki (sp). The dealer has a wonderful Spyder mechanic. This is not where my friend bought his from. The new mechanic fixed it, resold it and the new buyer hasn't had a bit of trouble. I Bought my at CowTown last SpyderFest and it has been flawless except for last Fall when I attempted to disconnect the jumper posts ant the hot touched the frame...Poof! Let itsit for the winter then took it to Pro Caliber in Longview, Wa. Much farther than the one closer to my friend and me. Shawn, the mechanic, had me back on the road in a couple hrs. Toasted ground wire and battery. Also did a bunch of recall updates. My friend has just put $ on a 2012 RT and s back in the fold. The moral of the story is....know your mechanic! I'm now over 2,000 miles into my Cuba ride and my Silver Seal is running like a Swiss watch. See ya Mnday.

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards

Spyder Garage

"SpyderDreams" perhaps you may want to change your name to "SpyderNightmares" by the sounds of it? They seem to hold their resale value fairly well based primarily on the "supply" versus demand issue? Perhaps you can dump it and get back to the ultra reliable Goldwing?

Hope you make out OK.................
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by punji View Post
    ---- the dealer on Atlantic Blvd?
    Yes Atlantic. Spyder nightmares sounds about right.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Some where down this page ther was a comment about CHECKOUT THE MECHANIC. SOOOO TRUE!!! you have a mech who doesn't know the spyder and you have problems. One solution would be to trailer it to Cowtown have Kevin check it out. Come early and or stay late so the guys can really go over it with a fine tooth comb. They wouldn't be able to do most of that till the 1st oor 2 nd of May. After Spyder fest THEY ARE POOPED!!! But if not Cowtown then find a GOOD mechanic someplace in your state close or not. It's the mechanic your looking for. OR go get that goldwing you like and enjoy your rides and have fun. One way or tuther it's up to you. and Good luck on your decisions.

Spyder Garage

Default Frustration

I understand your lack of confidence in your present RT. Thankfully my 2011 RTS has had minor problems but the dealer quickly fixed them. My tail is not about spyders but similar conditions. Spent 100K+ on a new motorhome. The shake down cruise was a 5000 mile trip west and south. Spend more time at motorhome dealers trying to resolve the problems. One would get fixed and 2 more would show up. End of story brought it back to the dealer, left if for 2 weeks. They called and said lets talk trade as we cannot fix everything that is wrong. This was my feeling also. Lost confidence in that coach so I did trade. New one was almost trouble free. Love motorhome travel, just got a bad vehicle and replaced it. Now I am happy. If the dealer cannot fix it they should at least offer you a new ride. Good luck

Spyder Garage

I feel your pain...It is frustrating to be in your situation. My main rider for the last 7 years was a 2005 GL1800 and besides failing to start on two occasions once on the road and once in the garage due to battery failure it was flawless. I traded the GL and another new bike in on my 2012 RT Limited. There was problems from day 1 and at 200 miles the dealer offered to back out the deal or replace with another new 2012 RT Limited. I took the new one and with only 1650 miles I am very pleased.

I do believe that the dealer Technicians are the problem. If the gang at Cowtown could get a hold of your Spyder no doubt your troubles would be resolved.

I think that BRP should require all the Technicians to attend training at Cowtown apparently the training they are going to isn't working. Good Luck, sorry for your trouble.
    'Bikeless'

Spyder Garage

Default spyderdreams sell ? give me a price i live near daytona. hankandjim@hotmail.com t

ks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt jim View Post
    ks
    I'll take $20,000 even.

Spyder Garage

I bet you that it is the factory battery. Had the same thing happen yesterday. called my dealer and was told that the battery was most likely my issue. The OEM battery could last 600 miles or 20,000. Well changed out my battery that I bought at car quest. Different brand (Deca)? Worked just fine after the change. My Mec. said that they have problems with the OEM batteries all the time. Change it out and be happy. Bob

Spyder Garage

Brake fluid level is appropriate.

Spyder Garage

There are days I feel much the same way,as in "I gave up my 'Wing for this?" But, when all is well and I reflect on no longer having to balance 1100lbs of bike and people the pain is lessened.

Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167
    2011 RTS , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Last week my ABS light came on and it went into limp mode when I braked for a stop. I stopped, took the key out and cleared it. It did the same thing again. I noticed that I could use the brake slightly, just enought to slow down with no problems, but when I applied it hard enought to stop the ABS and limp mode happened. I called my dealer and the mechanic said it was most likely the master cylinder. He asked if the brake pedal went down further than usual and it seems to. I asked him about checking the brake fluid and he said if it shouldn't be low (2011 LTD 4,000 mi) and if it was it had to go some where. I got home ok by limiting brake use. They have it now, and I hope to get it back this week.
    Rudy

Spyder Garage

Default Better Replacement Battery

If battery quality is suspect and you need to replace the battery I would consider a unit from this source. All their batteries give higher amp Hr output for the same size profile.

http://www.motobatt.com/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cal777 View Post
    Last week my ABS light came on and it went into limp mode when I braked for a stop. I stopped, took the key out and cleared it. It did the same thing again. I noticed that I could use the brake slightly, just enought to slow down with no problems, but when I applied it hard enought to stop the ABS and limp mode happened. I called my dealer and the mechanic said it was most likely the master cylinder. He asked if the brake pedal went down further than usual and it seems to. I asked him about checking the brake fluid and he said if it shouldn't be low (2011 LTD 4,000 mi) and if it was it had to go some where. I got home ok by limiting brake use. They have it now, and I hope to get it back this week.
    Rudy
    I'm sure the master cylinder was low, causing your alarm, but your dealer is right...there has to be a reason. Sounds like a good dealer, that knows his stuff and wants to go the extra mile to make things right.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!