Thread: Thermometer

Spyder Garage

Default Thermometer

Re. on the 2012 RT LTD, is there any way to adjust the thermometer on the RECC . Mine is usually off by at least 12 degrees. This of course, is in addition to the completely useless fuel gauge. Don't get me wrong, I love the Spyder but you would think a machine this expensive would at least come with reliable gauges.
    Thanks,
    Bob
    2014 RT Ltd Cognac, many farkles, many smiles, many miles

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Post Bob, Welcome to the Spyder-Hood & get used to it, buddy

I could be wrong here, but my understanding about the temp. gauge being off from the outside ambiant air temp. is normal & common, as its not giving the ambiant air temp. so much as its giving the actual temp. where the sensor is located under the front tupperware somewhere & the Spyders computer needs this info to correctly feed your fuel/air ratio to the engine. Someone else more knowledgable than I can explaine all this in much more better & technical terms than I. I'm just trying to relay what I know to help you understand. Mine is usually constantly 6 degrees higher than posted ambiant temps. tho I was also told if its higher than 10 degrees off, time to have dealer check it out.

Spyder Garage

Can't do anything about it but replace it. Most are way off, partly because they are just optimistic, partly because they measure the temp inside the body where the heat is trapped, and partly because they respond slowly. There are accuracy tests in the shop manual. best way to see if yours is working as well as they can is to check against the ambient temp (inside the garage) after the Spyder was parked all night, and before it is started, or very shortly thereafter. If that reading is close, there is little else you can do.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Mine is 5 degrees off from most outside temps I see posted. I just subtract 5 and I have the ballpark.

You are right, a machine that costs as much as it does should have accurate gauges that you can depend on.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Great insight and I'll do the test in the morning.
    2014 RT Ltd Cognac, many farkles, many smiles, many miles

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The OEM temperature sensor readings fluctuated wildly on my RT depending on air temperature and how much heat is trapped beneath the tupperware.

When I disconnected my analog gauges I replaced them with a digital voltmeter and an ambient air temperature gauge. The air temperature sensor for this gauge sits inside my right side air intake and the readings I receive are much more accurate, and easily read.