Spyder Garage

Default Camping trailer decision please advise

I have decide on the trail master camper I just have not decided on the size. I talked with the folks there today and they say that there are over 100 spyder riders out there with the aspen classic and that they have had no complaints as of yet due to weight (500 lbs)loaded. I know that most companies tend to be more conservative on the weight that can be pulled according to the manual and this is 100 lbs over weight. Now the Sentry is about 40 lbs less weight dry then the classic. I would like to hear from the folks with the classic and the sentry as to what they are seeing in the field. I have to make the decision by Friday since next week I will be on the production schedule. here is the site www.trailmasterinc.com Lamont please chime in on this one.
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb I thought Scotty spoke of this in your other thread

And advised of the weight issue & you may want to go with the lighter one, no? I believe he has the lighter one himself, but I can't speak for him. IMHO, I'd take the mans oppinion, he really knows what he's talking about

Spyder Garage

I have never seen anyone post here about a Classic and a Spyder, although a few of us have the Sentry. I am careful about total trailer weight, but I'm sure some are not. Keep in mind that you could face warranty issues with your Spyder if a related issue arose, such as clutch or transmission failure. Only you can decide how big of bed you need. That's really the only issue, since you are unlikely to use the entire cargo capacity anyway. Also keep in mind that while towing the Sentry through the wind causes a good hit on your gas mileage, towing the bigger Classic will beat your fuel mileage up even more. There is no free lunch.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I have never seen anyone post here about a Classic and a Spyder, although a few of us have the Sentry. I am careful about total trailer weight, but I'm sure some are not. Keep in mind that you could face warranty issues with your Spyder if a related issue arose, such as clutch or transmission failure. Only you can decide how big of bed you need. That's really the only issue, since you are unlikely to use the entire cargo capacity anyway. Also keep in mind that while towing the Sentry through the wind causes a good hit on your gas mileage, towing the bigger Classic will beat your fuel mileage up even more. There is no free lunch.
    Usually I take your advice without any salt in any fashion, but talking to the guys on the phone about the trailer made me have to come back and ask. I have until friday to get back to them about the trailer and yes I am leaning to the lighter one, just wanted to put this question out there to see if anyone has one. I already have enough weight on the bike with the VTC floor boards
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JCSMOKE View Post
    Usually I take your advice without any salt in any fashion, but talking to the guys on the phone about the trailer made me have to come back and ask. I have until friday to get back to them about the trailer and yes I am leaning to the lighter one, just wanted to put this question out there to see if anyone has one. I already have enough weight on the bike with the VTC floor boards
    I wouldn't worry about the weight on the bike, except from maybe a fuel mileage and performance standpoint. I sure don't want you to take what I say as gospel...just trying to lay out as many facts as possible, so you can make an informed decision. There have been a variety of people that have posted here about their various campers, but never an Aspen Classic that I am aware of or have seen a picture posted. The only pics on the Trailmaster Website show an Aspen. I'm not sure where the Trailmaster folks came up with the information they gave you, that's all. BTW, I'd get the unloaded weights to compare, not their "loaded" estimates. My Aspen (old version) weighs 290 pounds empty, without the spare or cooler...I had it weighed. They estimated 270#.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!