Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New to Spyderville

I will be making my purchase at the end of this week for a Spyder RSS. My town has a lot of U-Turns. I was wondering how a spyder does on u-turns? Also, any tip and pointer that I can get from experinced ryders would be greats.

Thanks everyone

Spyder Garage

Welcome to our World. I would say to start, Read the manual, including doing the parking lot stuff. This is the best place in the world to get Spyder information.
    Others with better ways to say things will come here as well.
    Ride Safe and have fun
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and
    Have you ever ridden an ATV or a snowmobile? Those might be the closest as far as how the Spyder will feel while cornering. If you just take your time, keep a relaxed grip on the bars, and shift your weight to the inside of each turn you'll be fine. You'll soon develop a feel for what the Spyder needs from you to take a corner.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default hey lifesaver

welcome, good to see you here. riding the spyder is different for sure, and takes some getting used to. the turning radius is larger than you would think. just practice some and you'll be fine
    it was fun while it lasted.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NEWBIE

welcome aboard, soon the fun begins.....Mike....dozens here will tell how to ride...just take it slow...there is a learning curve......

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

& You will love your new ride.

Hawk Eye

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    welcome, good to see you here. riding the spyder is different for sure, and takes some getting used to. the turning radius is larger than you would think. just practice some and you'll be fine

This is not true. You just have to know how to turn it.

The Spyder turns on a dime and you need very little room, here is a vid to show you Coz !!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...eoKXHzWg#t=47s
    Last edited by arntufun; 03-25-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Spyder Garage

Very cool video, in the comment section "allthingschrome" said he tricked the computer so the nannys wouldn't kick in. Still very cool

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    This is not true. You just have to know how to turn it.

The Spyder turns on a dime and you need very little room, here is a vid to show you Coz !!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...eoKXHzWg#t=47s
    Thanks for this video. It does appear to turn on a dime. I know it will take some time and practice and I'm excited and looking forwared to it. I have not riden any 4 wheelers/ATV before but when I test drove the Spyder RT I new then that it was lot like riding a 4 wheeler. I know I'm really going to enjoy the fun in riding.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by lifesaver4you View Post
    Thanks for this video. It does appear to turn on a dime. I know it will take some time and practice and I'm excited and looking forwared to it. I have not riden any 4 wheelers/ATV before but when I test drove the Spyder RT I new then that it was lot like riding a 4 wheeler. I know I'm really going to enjoy the fun in riding.

That was a modified Spyder. The Spyder does not turn on a dime or burn out like that in it's stock form. I didn't mean to confuse you, sorry. It will burn out going straight though.

Spyder Garage

and ............let the "mods begin".

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

Default burn- out

hey arntufun, yeah i've seen that video before, some people have more money than brains, but it is fun to watch. i want to see that done on an R T Any volunteers?
    it was fun while it lasted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

As you may have gathered, the Spyder has a large turning radius (and is wider than a bike), so it requires a driveway or wide street for a U-turn. The RT is worse, since the handlebars hit your thigh at full lock, so you need to jockey yourself around to acoomplis a U-turn. Now the good news!...The Spyder has reverse, so it is easy to just pull into a drive and back out, or to make your turn in a couple of moves. I would not let the prospect of U-turn discourage you from trying a Spyder. Besides, if you circle the block, you get to ride farther.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 03-25-2012 at 08:40 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

on the new ryde.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    As you may have gathered, the Spyder has a large turning radius (and is wider than a bike), so it requires a driveway or wide street for a U-turn. The RTY is worse, since the handlebars hit your thigh at full lock, so you need to jockey yourself around to acoomplis a U-turn. Now the good news!...The Spyder has reverse, so it is easy to just pull into a drive and back out, or to make your turn in a couple of moves. I would not let the prospect of U-turn discourage you from trying a Spyder. Besides, if you circle the block, you get to ride farther.
    Oh I will not let the U-turns discourage me at all. Like you said I'll just get to drive a little longer to get where I am going. I'll just choose a different routes to get where I'm going.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Congrats & Welcome to the SpyderHood

&

The Spyder RT-S was our first byke ever, no other ryding experience at all, not even ATVs, only traditional 4wheeled cars & trucks. 2 years later & now our Spyder is our ONLY mode of transportation & couldn't be Happier Its NOT like anything else on the road, including traditional trikes, its in a category of its own & does take a few hundred miles of smiles to "Get It" but once you do, few ever go back, the comfort, safety features & most importantly, the "RYDE" are VERY ADDICTIVE ENJOY