Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 Ryding Adventures with Akspyderlady and Akspyderman

Just getting the thread set up for when we get rydeing this season. I am hoping its not to many weeks away.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The temperatures are starting to break things up well, shouldn't be long now.

Spyder Garage

1 3/4 blocks of icy road and 40ft of driveway and we are out and about.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Teddy & I are wish'n y'all luck in get'n yur Adventures started sooner than later

We'll be follow'n along for the ryde

Spyder Garage

Got mine home today with the new theme. I started a mod thread so check it out.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...612#post433612

Spyder Garage

Default Saturday April 7th.

Today was the day we were going to go out on the Black Widow for the first ride of the year.
    I installed my new brake pedal pad yesterday and awoke the Black Widow from her long winter sleep. She started instantly (was on a battery tender) and sounded happy to be awake again.

I had to adjust the clock--since it was running slow--but that was the only glitch.

All the snow and ice had melted from the road and only about 10ft left on my driveway. This morning we awoke to another inch of snow--Mother Nature's way of saying not yet buddies. It has been snowing for the last 5 hours. Sort of puts a damper on today's planned ryde.

We needed two and a half inches to beat the all time snowfall record. We did it.

Hopefully we will get some warmup during the next week and can try again.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-09-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Just getting the thread set up for when we get rydeing this season. I am hoping its not to many weeks away.
    Good Deal. I want to head to Alaska this July and any tips i can gather from you on your adventures would be welcomed.

Spyder Garage

PM me or post here. I will do my best to answer any of your questions.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    PM me or post here. I will do my best to answer any of your questions.
    I want to go up there in July and the weather is my main concern: How cold? How wet? I am also concerned about accomodations along the way as I would guess that they become impacted in the summer months. I do like to do 3-400 miles a day and then settle in for the night. I sthat a reasoanble range for a place as big as Alaska? Any thoughts on taking the ferry back tot he lowere 48 would be appreciated.

I just rode 250 miles in a 50 degree drizzle yesterday and I was quite comfortable with that. The day before I was riding in 42 degree dry weather and the gear I had with me was not so good for that. Heated grips are in my future.

Spyder Garage

"I want to go up there in July and the weather is my main concern: How cold? How wet? I am also concerned about accomodations along the way as I would guess that they become impacted in the summer months. I do like to do 3-400 miles a day and then settle in for the night. I sthat a reasoanble range for a place as big as Alaska? Any thoughts on taking the ferry back tot he lowere 48 would be appreciated.

I just rode 250 miles in a 50 degree drizzle yesterday and I was quite comfortable with that. The day before I was riding in 42 degree dry weather and the gear I had with me was not so good for that. Heated grips are in my future. "

Thanks for your interest in AK.

I recommend purchasing a copy of the "Milepost" magazine for 2012. Road conditions and accomodations change--so the most current version is my recommendation. It gives you the latest information about traveling the Alcan and lots of ideas for traveling AK. It lists for $30 but you can find it for less. Walmart, Amazon, other book stores. Places pay to get mentioned--but it is complete enough that you will not encounter difficulties.

Temps: I am assuming you are going to make your entrance via the Alcan Highway. June/July are the two best months to see AK at her best. July temps are in the 60's mostly. You may see a 70 day once or twice. Be prepared to encounter cool and rainy though. It does get cool riding the Alcan and you can expect to experience 40's to 60's. Just be prepared for rain with good rain gear and you will be fine.

Accomodations: If you are planning on 300-400 miles days, you will not have a problem. Most towns have something. Let me know your route and I can make specific suggestions. Most of the accomodations are "rustic" but adequate. Gas--get it where you see it. You can go 100 miles in some places without gas in between.

Ferry: the ferry back is an extra adventure that people like a lot. Check with BMW on our site--he took the ferry back after his trip here.

Once you get your plans finalized let me know. If you want any ride suggestions once you arrive, I will be happy to make some suggestions based upon your schedule and where you may want to go.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-25-2012 at 06:57 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Glad you guys got to ride, I have been stuck down here in Houston for work since mothers day. By the time I get home next Friday I hope summer is still around. lol Dave has been riding his bike and promises me he hasn't been putting any miles on the spyder, but we will see. Enjoy the ride and we will catch up with you when I get back to Alaska.