Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question I need some help creating a template for my own custom Spyder Wrap

20120318_130538-1.jpgOK, yes, its 4am & I'm hear on SpyderLovers going crazy trying to figure this out & I'm not having much luck. Last year, I purchased a bulk (5'X4' roll) of this great design comercial auto wrap that I love. Only problem is creating a template for the dash, glove compartment & most frustrating so far, the frunk lid its so contoured I'm just at a loss. I even PM'd Pete at PowerSports Wraps, to see if he'd be interested in just selling me the blank templates so I could make my own, but he hasn't replied to my request, which I don't blame him, as he's in business to make money & sell his product. I guess I'm guilty as most of us Spyder Owners out there that want their Spyders to be "Uniquely Ours" & to have our Spyders be different, unlike anyone elses Spyders out there. But this is my problem, how do I create a "Template" so that I can properly cut the design I want, out of the wrap material most effeciantly without needlessly wasting the material by making mistakes or improperly cutting it? I'll post a couple pics of the frunk hood off of Teds Red Sled, as it sits here in my living room & I've tried taping paper to it & cutting it down to size & driving meself insane. I just want to fill the "Inner Inset Contoured Part" of the Frunk Hood with the Wrap Material.

Any suggestions or comments are welcomed. I've already got my $$ invested in this wrap, so the obvious suggestion of just giving up & ordering from Pete or elsewhere is not an option, as I'm not working, recoving from surgery and have little to know income coming in, but long on free time with limited mobility, so I figured this would at least give me something to do, besides just driving me INSANE Thanks y'all

Spyder Garage

Default Template

Why not check with your local Fast Signs place or what ever you have in the Cincy area? They have the software to do stuff like that. Take your material with you and let the guy/gal figure it out. I sent a pic that was 3000x4000 pixels and they did the rest. He just measured the rough dimentiions of the frunk and bingo, in 10 days or so I was in business. He also put it on. Hope this helps some. If not, try, try again. All I know is the software is pretty amazing. How it does the trick is all magic to me.
    Good luck with it.

Tuck

Spyder Garage

Question Thanks Tuck. I'm housebound right now do to back surgery, so that'll have to wait

Just trying to figure out if there's a way I can do it myself, in my present condition here stuck at home, but if not, I'll keep that idea in mind, really DO appreciate the great advice Anyone else out there got any ideas

Spyder Garage

I think I would try to create a template using painter's tape. Start at the top of the frunk and put a strip on the inner fold over to the center ridge - horizontally, measure 2-3" down and place another strip. Remove each strip and place on a sheet of paper in the exact places you put on the frunk, fold it in half and cut (like you did when you were a kid cutting out a paper heart).

Something like this:
    frunktemp.JPG

arntufun

Dave why don't you put a call out to anyone that has ordered from Pete before. His frunk wraps come with a backing you peel off and ask people to save that backing for you and don't throw it out. That would be the exact size template you would need.

If anyone has a frunk wrap for an RT and just installed it, please save the paper that you peel off and send it to my friend Dave please.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    Just trying to figure out if there's a way I can do it myself, in my present condition here stuck at home, but if not, I'll keep that idea in mind, really DO appreciate the great advice Anyone else out there got any ideas
    the easiest way to make a template is with masking tape, Like spyderluv post. take some thin 1/8 inch tape and tape off the area you want to template, then take some 3 inch painters tape and fill in the area you need to template be sure to over lap you tape by at least 1 inch. The reason for overlaping is so you can pull the tape in the opposite direction you layed it down go slow and it will come off in one piece and there you will have your exact template. The 1/8 inch tape will allow you to curve to the countour of the hood, tape over it with the 3 inch tape then use a art knife to trimm off the access.
    Love the 3 wheels way of life

2011 RT Limited

Mods

Custom vinyl wrap
    Two brothers exhaust
    custom glo riders
    carbon fiber dash kit(orange)
    2013 15 inch wheels powder coated orange
    all factory castings powder coated orange
    Elka's
    Baha Ron sway bar(will be powder coated orange next winter)
    Spyder pops (every thing he has for the rt)
    Lamonts hiway pegs

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Scotch tape and wax paper

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you can find a good art supply store they may sell what is called Frisket. Air brushers use it for masking 'cos it is mildly adhesive. I've used it for masking camo on model aircraft.
    It looks like wax paper and comes in rolls like saran wrap.
    Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    Yo Cyncy, you got it bad man. 4:30 in the morning though ? You might need a 12 step program. I hope you figure that thing out, cause I feel your pain. This Spyder thing is crazy
    Me & My Babycakes

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man kevorama's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rayelljay View Post
    If you can find a good art supply store they may sell what is called Frisket. Air brushers use it for masking 'cos it is mildly adhesive. I've used it for masking camo on model aircraft.
    It looks like wax paper and comes in rolls like saran wrap.
    Hope this helps.
    Unless Frisket has come down since my airburshing days, that's some pretty pricey stuff.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.”
    James Dean

Spyder Garage

Question Maybe its the pain meds, but why does me reading this make me hungry???a

Quote Originally Posted by kevorama View Post
    Unless Frisket has come down since my airburshing days, that's some pretty pricey stuff.

Spyder Garage

Try MacTac from Wally World. Pretty cheap and it is easy to work with.
    Happy Owner

SpyderLovers Sponsor Spyder Wraps Pete's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sorry Dave,
    I had a spyderlovers member here all day yesterday and did not have time to reply. Send me the film and I can cut you the templates you want.
    I will PM you the details.

Pete

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up WoW!!! Now how's that for service. Thanks Pete for saving what sanity I have left

I know this isn't something that you usually do, but I really DO appreciate it I'll give you a call on Thursday after I find out what my surgeon tells me about my post-op recovery & I'm a bit more cohearant than I am at the current time

Spyder Garage

Come on Pete !! Where are the pictures.????
    Happy Owner

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Wraps Pete View Post
    Sorry Dave,
    I had a spyderlovers member here all day yesterday and did not have time to reply. Send me the film and I can cut you the templates you want.
    I will PM you the details.

Pete

Pete, that is really cool of you to do that for him !!! I will always remember this good gesture.