Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've been wearing a Joe Rocket mesh jacket for several years. The liner is great if the temp goes down in the evening. Don't ride without it.

Spyder Garage

Default Mesh vs tee

Did an experiment yesterday, 88 f and high humidity. Took a 15 mile ride once with mesh and once with tee shirt same route around lakes and into town. Mesh did feel cooler and better, must confess I did feel unprotected and uncomfortable without jacket.

Registered Users TeddyBearHohma's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default What I want to wear vs. What I'm required to wear

As a new rider I'd wear my helmet the first year as required and then probably go without. I'd have a different jacket for the weather. I don't do shorts unless it's to Cedar Point because of the long lines in the sun. I'd do shoes instead of boots.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    However I'm required to wear a Helmet (Full face - no eyepro, 3/4s or smaller - goggles), Jacket, Long Sleeved Shirt, Long Pants, Sturdy Over the ankle footwear and Gloves (Full Fingered).

If I fail to ride with the required gear and something happens (God Forbid) my family is not entitled to my entitlements nor would my medical bills be covered my Tricare. The Military is very strict with their policy regarding safety of it's Service Members.

Now that I am a rider and I have to wear the proper gear all the time I believe that I'll continue to do so just to set a good example to my kids and grandkids. I want them to grow up safe and know that Grandpa is safe as well.
    I Ryde 3!

TeddyBear Hohman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDuck View Post
    So, what brand would this amazingly breathable jacket be? I'm always looking for something cooler.
    very sorry, have been away for a few months (as you could tell). going through a separation and leading to divorce...
    but my mesh jacket is by 1st Gear. you can literally feel a breeze just from walking in this thing. and it has removable armor/pads in shoulders, elbows, and on back so you can wash it.
    it also comes with a rain liner, but i don't suggest using it since there is a wide space in from when it is zipped in that is NOT water proff so you have water coming in from neck and middle of chest.
    but on dry days i love it.
    i have 2 other jackets for varying degrees of inclement weather and some cold weather glove liners, boot liners, and jacket (to be worn under regular jacket) by FreezeOut, sold at Cycle Gear that works really well for cold weather.
    KIP
    2011 RS-S

Spyder Garage

I have A mesh jacket but this year discovered a really comfortable way to Ryde.I have long sleeve lightweight weight Polyester racing Tee shirts.The sort Fox racing does .Can Am do a couple,Moose Racing is a good one.They are really colorful,comfortable and can be seen.Over that I wear the Icon protective shield.It slips over one's head is like a waistcoat and has way more protection than the jackets have.If its cold slip my jacket or a windbreaker over.
    Only thing your elbows are unprotected.You can buy elbow shields.I do not have them.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Post Teddy told me to throw my 2 cents in, so here ya go.... No change required

In the above picture, you will notice that I'm wearing an S&S (Speed & Strength) Mesh jacket in Red without all the logos (Comes with or without) from one of our WONDERFUL Sponsors, BajaRon

This is the very first Mesh Jacket that I have ever tried, as I've never ridden before becoming a SpyderAddict back in May of 2010. For the past 2 years, I've either worn a regular jacket & burned up or went without and have gotten burned a time or two. So when Ron advertised these jackets a few months back, at a great price with speedy delivery, I figured it was time to give one a try and I'm glad that I did I'll post a full review in a seperate thread, but thought I'd share my experience here, since the OP had asked for opinions

The jacket works very well, even in 90+ degree temps, but there are always going to be compromises. Such as, if you get stuck in stop & go traffic, its going to be warmer than if you didn't have it on But even in this scenerio, I found myself glad to be wearing it for the sun protection that it provided

This jacket does come with (I think its called CE Armor) Armor in the elbows, shoulders, lower back and a large removable back protector as well. I removed the large back protector and left the rest in place and like the feeling of having the extra protection 'Just In Case'

It also has a removable 'rain' liner that zips inside and I found it to work pretty well while we were tooling around the Adirondacks of Upstate New York while we were there last week for SITA & I don't care what anyone says that part of the country IS NOT IN A DRAUGHT at least not while we were there

There are however a couple of things I don't like about the jacket and one is my own fault & the other is me just being nit-picky

My own fault, is that I knew I had gained some weight due to having back surgery a few months back, so I ordered a Large size when I usually wear a Medium. The Large size is needed right now until I can get back into my workout program and loose my gut, but that makes for the rest of the jacket a little 'OverSized' for my frame, so the Elbow and Shoulder 'pads/armor' kind of float around a little until I get set into position, not really bad, but I'm thinking with a Medium Size, they would fit just right in position without the floating effect, but I'll have to wait til I get back in shape to prove this out with a smaller size.

The 2nd thing (& I admit its nit-picky) I don't care for is that at the wrists where you have velcro to tighten the jacket around your gloves, they made it Bright White. Why they did this is beyond me, and I don't know if I'm just a dirty guy or what but that Bright White after about a months use is now a dingy looking off white I always wear gloves when I ryde, but they are fingerless gloves, so I'm guessing the oils from my skin and road grime mix to change the color. So I just wish that they would have made the velcro closing straps black, so this wouldn't be an issue. (Yes, I know, wear full gloves & problem solved, but I don't like full gloves except when needed in the winter, and then I'm NOT wearing a Mesh Jacket anyways)

So in conclusion, I now rarely ryde without my S&S Mesh Jacket and like the added sun protection it provides while allowing a good amount of air-flow, along with the added feeling of security of having the included armor And you can't beat the Awesome Customer Service from BajaRon
    Just my 2 cents .........................

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Road rash sucks.....mesh with leather or ballistic nylon and CE armor at
    slide points.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We live in NC and opt for the Mesh but not always in the middle of the summer...but always long selves for as much sun protection.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks CyncySpyder

I'm about one or two mouse clicks away from ordering a S&S mesh jacket from BajaRon...thanks for the detailed review. Guess I ought to thank Teddy since he told you to throw in your two cents.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded