Spyder Garage

Default question for seasoned spyder riders

i just bought a used 2008 spyder with software changes to dps and ecm completed in aug 2011. sputtering at low speed 25-35 in 1,2,3 gear at 2500-3500 rpm's. this thing is more fun thatn a barrel of monkeys but this problem is damping the fun. i am in 55-57degree weather right now. 3 or 4 bars seems to be the kiss of near death. i am headed to florida and fear the worst. i need help if you would please. plugs? it seems to be a heat -air exchange problem?? jeez, at a loss! the dealer who made the upgrades will not return my call. i'm guessing he thinks i want something for nothing. i just need answers. any ideas"?????? pls and ty - bob

Spyder Garage

Do a search on plugs and plug wires...Im sure someone with alot more knowledge will chime in soon.

BTW, Congrats on the spyder...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation FYI: the Rotax Engine is a HIGH RPM MACHINE

the Power band comes right around 5,000 RPM. sounds like your shifting way low & causing it to bog. Just my opinion & that could be wrong, but Id just try shifting between 4 & 5,000 RPM & see how that works for ya

Welcome to the Spyderhood

Spyder Garage

Default thank you for responding. i see that i am in the right place. bob -

ok- i did not do that in the right place.. tks
    Quote Originally Posted by mowin View Post
    Do a search on plugs and plug wires...Im sure someone with alot more knowledge will chime in soon.

BTW, Congrats on the spyder...

Spyder Garage

Default reponse

[i really hope to be =. tks
    QUOTE=SpyderAnn01;384233]
    [/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

Default tks

ok tks. it does act like that. i just got off a harley so it is possible that i am dogging it. however, my question is - at 2500-3500 in 1st gear is dogging it?????? i appreeciate any help- tks
    Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    the Power band comes right around 5,000 RPM. sounds like your shifting way low & causing it to bog. Just my opinion & that could be wrong, but Id just try shifting between 4 & 5,000 RPM & see how that
    elcome to the Spyderhood

Spyder Garage

The sweet spot for shifting is between 4000 and 4500 rpm. Yes, that sounds like a lot, but that is what the Rotax likes. I don't usually even use 5th gear unless I am going to go over 65 mph. Down shifting I usually use 4000 for 4th, 3rd, and 2nd, and about 3000 for 1st. My current ride is a 2010 RTS SE5

but I had a 2008 GS SM5 also.

and:
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default tks to all

thank you for y'alls help. bob

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    the Power band comes right around 5,000 RPM. sounds like your shifting way low & causing it to bog. Just my opinion & that could be wrong, but Id just try shifting between 4 & 5,000 RPM & see how that works for ya

Welcome to the Spyderhood

Dave.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eightballbob View Post
    i just bought a used 2008 spyder with software changes to dps and ecm completed in aug 2011. sputtering at low speed 25-35 in 1,2,3 gear at 2500-3500 rpm's. this thing is more fun thatn a barrel of monkeys but this problem is damping the fun. i am in 55-57degree weather right now. 3 or 4 bars seems to be the kiss of near death. i am headed to florida and fear the worst. i need help if you would please. plugs? it seems to be a heat -air exchange problem?? jeez, at a loss! the dealer who made the upgrades will not return my call. i'm guessing he thinks i want something for nothing. i just need answers. any ideas"?????? pls and ty - bob
    Is it lugging, or sputtering ?

There's a difference.

Is it doing it all the time? You seem to indicate everything is fine until you get the engine warmed up. I would not be so quick to eliminate plug wires.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have there been any changes in the intake or exhaust systems? If it's breathing deeper, it'll need more fuel. Running a bit lean will make it act a bit funky at times...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default tks

sputtering. when it warms up. 2 bars are ok- 3 or 4 bars is when it appears. tks for your input bob

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Is it lugging, or sputtering ?

There's a difference.

Is it doing it all the time? You seem to indicate everything is fine until you get the engine warmed up. I would not be so quick to eliminate plug wires.

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Mine sputters

sputtering. when it warms up. 2 bars are ok- 3 or 4 bars is when it appears. tks for your input bob
    I have had all the updates known to man or BRP on my 2008 Spyder and I now have 57000 miles on it and still get the sputtering between 3000 and 4000 unless I keep the purge valve hose plugged and then it runs fine with no sputtering. If I have to go to the dealer for any problem I just put it back to stock to avoid any questions. I know that plugging this hose has been somewhat contoversial here, but it is very annoying to have the sputtering and this has worked for me!!
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It was great meeting you and your Wife Saturday morning!
    Question: "Purge valve hose"... Do you have any pictures of this little beauty? There's so much stuff tucked up under the Tupperware that it's nice to have a road map once in a while!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydrjockey View Post
    I have had all the updates known to man or BRP on my 2008 Spyder and I now have 57000 miles on it and still get the sputtering between 3000 and 4000 unless I keep the purge valve hose plugged and then it runs fine with no sputtering. If I have to go to the dealer for any problem I just put it back to stock to avoid any questions. I know that plugging this hose has been somewhat contoversial here, but it is very annoying to have the sputtering and this has worked for me!!
    Your purge valve needs to be checked for leakage, and the purge valve solenoid checked for proper operation. Don't be so sure they have done the "performance update" that came after the first DPS recall, either. That was only called for on certain Spyders that were experiencing (and reported) problems like yours after the DPS update.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Sputtering

I had similar problems with my 2008 RS/GS after the dealer replaced the plugs. It turns out that the wires were now damaged. They seem to be prone to failure from just handling. You could see the arc to the engine with the Tupperware removed. New wires and the sputter was gone.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BajaRon's got the the plugwire issue well in hand!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm with Cyncy here.
    Mine's a 2011 RS SM.
    Don't be afeared of letting her rev. I had similar feelings when I started Ryding.
    It's a matter of feel...you'll find that if you let her spin she'll become smoother.
    You'll also find that you will have great control of your speed with respect to slowing down. This engine has plenty of torque and, with nice downshifts, you'll only use the brakes when stopping.
    Have fun....it's the greatest Ryde.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Your purge valve needs to be checked for leakage, and the purge valve solenoid checked for proper operation. Don't be so sure they have done the "performance update" that came after the first DPS recall, either. That was only called for on certain Spyders that were experiencing (and reported) problems like yours after the DPS update.
    I had the first update done at my dealer and the second one done in Tn. when they brought reps in to the local dealer there and did a lot of Spyders that day. I had told the dealer after the first update was done that I was still getting the problem between 3000 and 4000 RPMS.
    Power Outlet
    Cortech tank bag
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It was great meeting you and your Wife Saturday morning!
    Question: "Purge valve hose"... Do you have any pictures of this little beauty? There's so much stuff tucked up under the Tupperware that it's nice to have a road map once in a while!
    We enjoyed meeting you and your lovely wife also.......but wished you guys could have had your Spyder to go on the ryde with us. I have pics. somewhere, I'll see if I can find them. Keep thinking positive about getting your RT back in an expedited fashion.
    Power Outlet
    Cortech tank bag
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Spyder Garage

I had the EXACT same issue with my '08, until Spyderfest when Cowtown did an update. Sputtering gone, hesitation gone. LOVE it.
    Happy Former-Spyder owner!
    2008 SM5 PE# 3518 / Intense Blue Pearl (sold 2014)

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

ok tks. it does act like that. i just got off a harley so it is possible that i am dogging it. however, my question is - at 2500-3500 in 1st gear is dogging it?????? i appreeciate any help- tks
    Yes, you are dogging it. I shift 5,000 - 7,000 rpm. Nice and smooth. I went from a Cruiser to the Spyder and it took me a year to realize it. As a rule of thumb I Cruise at about 1/2 the red line RPM. Shift at 2/3 to 3/4 (unless I am riding hard, then I push it a little more)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydrjockey View Post
    We enjoyed meeting you and your lovely wife also.......but wished you guys could have had your Spyder to go on the ryde with us. I have pics. somewhere, I'll see if I can find them. Keep thinking positive about getting your RT back in an expedited fashion.
    Oh we're keeping our fingers crossed here for sure!
    John and his Wife have a place up in the Finger Lakes region... We're all gonna have to talk him into a weekend up there next summer for sure!

Spyder Garage

When I had my Spyder, I always shifted early without any real problems. I put 24,XXX miles on it that way. Yes I believe it likes higher revs but I did not.
    After the first DPS recall, my bike did not run as well, had back-firing issues, and almost seemed like it was flooding. Once I had the recall to the recall done, it ran much better but never quite as good as the first 12xxx miles I put on it.
    Also, at one point, I had trouble with my spyder idling once it was warmed up. It was dying while sitting at stoplights unless I kept giving it gas and even then, it wasn't great. Then at take off, it ran like crap until I really got the revs up. It wound up being bad spark plug wires. arcing! Hope you get it figured out soon. Keep your chin up and give the shop a chance to figure it out. This may take some time though. Most people here are quite happy with their rides so it will probably get figured out.

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture