Thread: RUFF RIDE

Spyder Garage

Default RUFF RIDE

I HAVE A NEW 2011 WHITE LIMITED RT AND WHEN I RIDE I FEEL LIKE THE ENGINE IS STUTTERING. IS IT THE ENGINE OR THE WIND MAKING IT FEEL LIKE IT IS GOING TO STALL ?

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question Need more info please

1st off &
    We have a 2011 RT-S SE5 & it's pretty smooth. At what speeds & RPMs do you notice this? Do you only notice it on the highway, with a lot of turbulence from other vehicles & semis around?

I know on ours, we get the turbulence from semis on the highway and that makes it a little bit of a rough Ryde til we get passed them, but that is in the handling & suspension & nothing to do with the engine or it's performance.

Has it been this way since day one, or is this something new that you just started to notice? The Rotax Engine that's in the SpYder isn't similar to a Harley or Honda engine. It's more of a Higher RPM machine, so I wonder if you may be shifting a bit early, cause doing so, will make the engine seem go lug or bog down, but we're talking if your shifting below 3000-3500 RPMs.

I used to shift at 5000 RPMs & that seems where the PowerBand for the SpYder is at it's greatest, but just started switching my Ryding style to better my fuel economy & have found that shifting around 4000 RPMs seems to give me the best compromise of performance & fuel economy. Before, I was averaging 24-26 MPGs & now I'm getting into the low 30's.

But yeah, shifting too low, will make the engine seem like it's stuttering trying to gain momentum.

Hope this helps some & let us know how it works out for ya,

Spyder Garage

Default RUFF RIDE

THIS WAS FROM DAY ONE...AND I CAN BE ANYWERE....AS OF NOW I HAVE NOT TAKEN IT ON THE INTERSTATE...I WAS ON A ROAD ALL BY MYSELF AND IT WILL DO THE SAME THING...AND I DOES IT AT ALL SPEEDS....I WILL TRY THE RPM WATCH AND SEE IF THAT HELPS THE NEXT RIDE...THANKS

Spyder Garage

Some people with new Spyders have been complained about loose battery connections causing DPS faults. Maybe this could be causing your problem. The only time my engine studders is when the RPMs get too low in a higher gear and I start to lug the engine. When I am in 4th or 5th gear I try to keep 5K RPMs or higher for smooth operation. I rode Harleys before the Spyder and was used to lower RPMs. Once I got used to running the higher RPMs the Rotax engine likes the bike performed much better. If you are running the higher RPMs and still have the studdering I would highly recommend taking it to your dealership to have them take look at it.
    Last edited by Y Rider; 08-05-2011 at 04:48 PM.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Take it in and have the dealer check it!!!!

Spyder Garage

Vicki,
    It is also possible that you are feeling some helmet buffeting. That and keeping the rpm too low can make a Spyder feel like it is running roughly. Change the windshield position, and see if that helps. If you want, We can meet somewhere and I can ride your LTD to see if it I notice the problem and have an idea of the source. You might have to coach me on riding an SE, though...I have never ridden one.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!