Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question Personal Best Yesterday*165 Miles on 1 Tank*I challenge other Ryders to try

Usually, after 120 miles, I'm sweat'n bullets look'n for a gas station & the fuel light is on & gauge is down to one bar. Again, not sure if this is related to the Firm-Ware update that was done right before our trip to SITA or just due to me short-shifting like Bob Denman has suggested he rydes, but I'm making & breaking Personal Best records with fuel economy on TEDs Red Sled

For this last tank, SpYder & Teddy only, no camper, we averaged 30.6 miles per gallon & 165 miles on the trip computer. Before trying this short-shifting Ryde'n style, I've NEVER come close to numbers like these. All I've been doing is making sure that I up-shift as close to or before 4000 RPMs on the Tach. No matter what speed Im at. At first, trying this, I thought I would be bogging the SpYder down, but now that I'm used to this method, it's just a constant series of up-shifts with no bogging or hesitation. Granted, I'm no rocket off the line, but I'm just as happy with the performance, especially knowing I'm getting an average of between 5-8 more miles per gallon. As much as we Ryde (over 12K miles in about 3 months) that adds up quickly

Anyone else with an SE5 RT want to give this a try & see if you get similar results or not? I'm curious if it's just the change in Ryding style or if it was the Firm-Ware Update

Spyder Garage

165 is darn good on an RT.

Reggie Tan pushed the limit on our recent OSR ride through the Hocking Hills. 185 miles on a tank. He was seriously on fumes and sweatin' bullets. Never seen anyone so happy to roll into a gas station.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad to hear that it's working for you! Teddy is probably enjoying the less-frenetic pace too... (Low & slow...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dave, when you say firm wear update, are you talking about 2011-7 for the throttle body...? I really have not paid much attention to my rpm's when I shift....kinda listen to the engine and shift when I think it wants to...

I will try your under 4,000 rpm shift point, but I think I shift around 3,500 to 4,000 but will look at it tomorrow when I go with my buddies to breakfast. I have consistantly gotten 29-31 mpg since I bought BR1. Later.

ps. I have an appointment to get 2011-7, 8 and 9 done next Friday. Have you had 2011-9 (parking brake upgrade) done yet?

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

What is 2011-9 (parking brake)?
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    This is why I installed the aux fuel tank. Yesterday I filled up at 320.1 on the clock and took 10.4 gallons. Dave with the kind of millage you're putting on and with the trailer you are a perfect candidate for the aux tank. My dealer (Jim Potts Motor Group, 815-338-0640) now has a ready to install kit. You get the tank and all the lines you need to install it into your RT. There was a ryder from NJ that you might have met at SITA who just did the install. Something to think about.
    What aux tank are you referring to? Will it fit the gs?
    2008 SM5, F1 EvoIII slide, Hindle, Race Air Flow System, O2 Delete, Fuel Pressure Modfier, Powerbus System, BRP 6 Spoke, 12V power supply x2, 1" Handel Bar Riser, CompuStar Alarm System w/pager, Mono Seat Cover, Brake Caliper Trim, Trunk Liner, Outdoor Cover, Carbon Fiber SM5 Handelbar Inserts, Carbon Fiber Tank Knee Pads, TBR Juice Box.

Spyder Garage

Default Just now

Just filled up, 179 mi 5.3 gallons. Most miles out of a tank and the most fuel I've ever put in.

Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    I have an appointment to get 2011-7, 8 and 9 done next Friday. Have you had 2011-9 (parking brake upgrade) done yet?

I will be surprised if you can get 2011-9 done. When my dealer looked up the part number for the new spring, it was not available yet.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    What is 2011-9 (parking brake)?
    This is for the 2011 RT. Not sure why it doesn't apply for the 2010 RT. It calls for replacing spring in the rear parking brake drum with a heavier one. This Warranty Campaign was just issued 8/1, so many dealer haven't even heard of it or downloaded it yet, and as I sdaid, the part is not yet readily available. Give your dealer some time.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Good information--keep us posted as you continue to track. I usually end up putting in 4.8-5.5 gallons at my fill ups. I vary from 150 to 185 (the most miles on one tank)--5.8 31.8 mpg.

I fill up for convenience or "need a break" purposes when I travel. I have not driven the "netherlands" of AK, so have usually been able to find gas at no more than 125 mile intervals.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Best I did was 163.9 miles and it took 4.54 Gallons.
    Red light was on for last 19 miles.

I am averaging 32mpg, with boss on the back 95% of riding

Motorcycle.com, just tested the 2112 Berliner Winibago, and Hondas landcruiser and they were getting 34-35mpg real riding.

So I say that mileage on the Spyder is decent, comparing the frontsize we have and the weight.

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...93.html?page=4
    Last edited by AndyIsRiding; 08-05-2011 at 03:56 PM.
    Modifying the RT to travel Canada.

Spyder Garage

Last year, went to Spokane from Vegas. One area, Salt lake to Idaho Falls was 210 miles. Decided to go for it. Went 100 miles and sign said next services 45 miles. Went and behold, no services. Station closed. Now a sheriff sub station. Sign said next services 43 miles. Forward 43 back 45. Oh well forward ho. Lucky we found a camp ground 35 miles from Idaho falls selling gas. We had 183 miles on my SE5 and my wifes SM5. I took 5.6 she took 5.3. We could have made 20, 30 more miles. 183 was enough.

Spyder Garage

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    Dave, when you say firm wear update, are you talking about 2011-7 for the throttle body...? I really have not paid much attention to my rpm's when I shift....kinda listen to the engine and shift when I think it wants to..I will try your under 4,000 rpm shift point, but I think I shift around 3,500 to 4,000 but will look at it tomorrow when I go with my buddies to breakfast. I have consistantly gotten 29-31 mpg since I bought BR1. Later.ps. I have an appointment to get 2011-7, 8 and 9 done next Friday. Have you had 2011-9 (parking brake upgrade) done yet?
    Yes, thats the Firm-Ware update I had done. Sadly tho, my throttle body DOES need to be replaced. Im guessing that with your AVG MPG's you've probably already been doing this (short-shifting) or better already, so good for you

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Believe me, if I had the $$ I'd get one

[QUOTE=Mr Orange;358774]Dave with the kind of millage you're putting on and with the trailer you are a perfect candidate for the aux tank. Something to think about./QUOTE]

Ive thought about it, no doubt. I followed along while you were getting this designed & built for you, but right now, the high cost is prohibitive for us at the near time. Maybe in the future, when Teddy makes it to the Big Time we can get one of these added. Til then, I'll be watching my shifting & making the frequent fuel stops

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up YAY!!! Another Personal BEST

Averaged 31.34 MPG's on this last tank
    and got 168.3 miles
    and this was with us Shredding up about 20 miles of country roads we found last night
    So don't think we're having to be slow & no fun
    You can still short-shift quickly & have a BLAST
    and improve your fuel economy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Did 185 miles today, filled up and put in 5.28 gallons. All on regular(87)fuel and starbrite.
    My Spyder Mods:
    Head light and Fog light 100 watt HID,
    all other lights converted to LED,
    LED accent lights everywhere
    Superior Air Horns (153db)
    Ultimate Seat
    Glo Riders,
    Ram mount cup holder, phone holder, ipad holder,
    Back up cam with monitor
    Spyder1Attitude Exhaust
    http://spyder1attitude.com/

Spyder Garage

Default 176 on my RS today

I put 5.5 gal in my RS SE5 today at 176 miles. Not great mpg but not terrible either. The interesting part is that the bike had been parked for about 2 weeks while we were gone. It was in the garage and the outside temps were 100-105 daily. When I started it the fuel gauge showed no bars. I know the last bar was lit when I parked it. I ran about 3 miles to the station to fill it and never saw that 1st bar. Several curves and bumps in the road too. I wondered if the float was stuck at the bottom. Filling the tank brought it up and it's registering just fine but that was a new one for me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3whlLefty View Post
    I put 5.5 gal in my RS SE5 today at 176 miles. Not great mpg but not terrible either. The interesting part is that the bike had been parked for about 2 weeks while we were gone. It was in the garage and the outside temps were 100-105 daily. When I started it the fuel gauge showed no bars. I know the last bar was lit when I parked it. I ran about 3 miles to the station to fill it and never saw that 1st bar. Several curves and bumps in the road too. I wondered if the float was stuck at the bottom. Filling the tank brought it up and it's registering just fine but that was a new one for me.
    The gauge will register higher with a hot engine and trapped heat, after a ride. In the morning they are cooled, and always read lower. Takes a while before the tank and fuel heat up and the gauge registers higher again. Just the nature of the beast.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Mileage much better with StarTron

Last 2 fills I have averaged slightly over 40 MPH...no trailer, but all "stuff" areas on Ms Spyder are stuffed full..have an extra bag i passenger area..probably 25-30 lbs.... traveling hiway speed...not being heavy on throttle...also using StarBrite StarTron..and highest octane available.
    I started the additive when I took off last week...have seen significant increase..I am documenting every fill....when I get back to home will average the complete trip...the lowest I got was 34.8 when I was really on the throttle (75+)....
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas milage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    Usually, after 120 miles, I'm sweat'n bullets look'n for a gas station & the fuel light is on & gauge is down to one bar. Again, not sure if this is related to the Firm-Ware update that was done right before our trip to SITA or just due to me short-shifting like Bob Denman has suggested he rydes, but I'm making & breaking Personal Best records with fuel economy on TEDs Red Sled

For this last tank, SpYder & Teddy only, no camper, we averaged 30.6 miles per gallon & 165 miles on the trip computer. Before trying this short-shifting Ryde'n style, I've NEVER come close to numbers like these. All I've been doing is making sure that I up-shift as close to or before 4000 RPMs on the Tach. No matter what speed Im at. At first, trying this, I thought I would be bogging the SpYder down, but now that I'm used to this method, it's just a constant series of up-shifts with no bogging or hesitation. Granted, I'm no rocket off the line, but I'm just as happy with the performance, especially knowing I'm getting an average of between 5-8 more miles per gallon. As much as we Ryde (over 12K miles in about 3 months) that adds up quickly

Anyone else with an SE5 RT want to give this a try & see if you get similar results or not? I'm curious if it's just the change in Ryding style or if it was the Firm-Ware Update
    I have a 2009 and I average any where from 32 to 37 depending on the riding I do. I have mels 30 tooth sprocket which serves me well. I take off in first gear, shift to third and then fifth. I don't hotrod the because those days are over for me. I raced motorcycles and cars back in the 60s. So now I have it out of my system. Just pleasure riding now. The motor does not lug down with this shifting pattern. I would not be surprised I can get 185 or higher on a tank of gas.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

If you fill your tank to the top and drive like an adult, there's no reason why you can't go 175/180 miles on a tank.
    Most times my low light wouldn't come on till 165 miles. [08Sm5]

Spyder Garage

On our trip to SITR, we had one leg at 36.889 mpg - that's 243.47 miles. Overall, we hit 31.43 mpg or 207.44 miles. Note that my gauge was below the red line, and the idiot light comes on at 125 miles, or just over 3 gallons used. We verified that several times, but actually went 204.6 miles before our Trinidad fill up and used 5.88 gallons. My riding partner had one tank of fresh non-rubbish (no ETOH) premium gas, and got 46.8 mpg out of that, while I got 36.889 (using Star*Brite) - you can see the cost of being PC.

I need to find a boat dock close by…..
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default For Dave and Scotty

I am getting 29-31 mpg consistantly. As I said, it seems I shift at 3,500 to 4,000 as that is when BR1 says it wants to. I rode last Saturday with fourteen others and this seems when I do my most shifts.

Scotty, I called my dealer last Thursday and made an appointment to get the upgrads done. I asked that they order the brake upgrade and hope BRP has it. If not, I will go back when it comes in.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    If you fill your tank to the top and drive like an adult, there's no reason why you can't go 175/180 miles on a tank.
    Most times my low light wouldn't come on till 165 miles. [08Sm5]
    My 2011 hits the light at about 120-130 most of the time. Freeway driving quite often, but adult freeway driving at the speed limit. My 2010 Spyder was worse, hitting the light at 90-100 miles. A lot depends on the Spyder, and even more depends on the gasoline in your area. The ethanol kills us here, as do the some of the seasonal formulations.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Best tank so far is 184 miles, with 1 bar left, sweating bullets the last 20 miles 'cause I'd never had to push it like that before. 5.5 gallons to fill.

john

Spyder Garage

Post Responses

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    If you fill your tank to the top and drive like an adult, there's no reason why you can't go 175/180 miles on a tank. [08Sm5]
    I don't disagree with you about an RS, but in your blanket statement, your lumping in apples to oranges my friendAn RS is 230 pounds lighter than an RT (Dry weight 699 to 929) not to mention the increased size difference of the RT over the RS & also the decreased aerodynamics of having the large shield & wind deflectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    On our trip to SITR, we had one leg at 36.889 mpg - that's 243.47 miles. Overall, we hit 31.43 mpg or 207.44 miles. Note that my gauge was below the red line, and the idiot light comes on at 125 miles, or just over 3 gallons used. We verified that several times, but actually went 204.6 miles before our Trinidad fill up and used 5.88 gallons. My riding partner had one tank of fresh non-rubbish (no ETOH) premium gas, and got 46.8 mpg out of that, while I got 36.889 (using Star*Brite) - you can see the cost of being PC. I need to find a boat dock close by…..
    Wow, that's the BEST I've heard of so far, Good for you!!!