Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Fatal Spyder crash in Oregon

Any further development of that news, how or why?
    I can't find that thread with link to the news webpage.
    Last edited by aka1004; 06-23-2011 at 11:38 PM.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy update

It's not clear as to what exactly happened, but it seems she was just starting to pass when the car she was attempting to pass turned in front of her causing her to crash into the back of their car.

The lady on the Spyder was from Rogue River, OR, just a few miles from us, but we didn't know her or even that there was another Spyder ryder in the area. She was on a 2008 RS.

Our prayers go out to her family and friends.

I hope this serves as a reminder that it's always open season on bikes.
    Regardless who was in the wrong, the lives of those involved in this accident will never be the same.

Ryde safe everyone.

Spyder Garage

Unhappy R.I.P.

It is now updated...

Oregon State Police (OSP) troopers are continuing the investigation into Wednesday afternoon's fatal motorcycle-involved traffic crash that resulted in the death of a 51-year old Rogue River-area woman on Highway 140E near Bly east of Klamath Falls. The woman's name is released in this update.

According to OSP Trooper Patrick Irish, on June 22, 2011 at approximately 3:13 p.m. a 1986 Volkswagen Cabriolet two-door convertible driven by PAULA S. MILLER, age 35, from Beatty, was eastbound on Highway 140E attempting to turn left onto Deer Run Road when it was struck in the rear by a 2008 Can Am motorcycle operated by BONNIE JOELLE BOSGIETER, age 51, from Rogue River. The motorcycle was in the process of trying to pass the turning Volkswagen when the collision occurred.

Upon impact, BOSGIETER lost control of her motorcycle and was ejected. She was wearing a protective helmet and was pronounced deceased at the scene. The motorcycle came to rest in the grass along a fence off the highway.
    PAULA MILLER and her two passengers were not injured.

OSP troopers from the Klamath Falls Area Command office are continuing the investigation.

Bly Mountain Fire Department and ODOT assisted at the scene.

Photograph Source: Oregon State Police

### www.oregon.gov/OSP ###
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 06-23-2011 at 11:57 PM.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    It is now updated...

Oregon State Police (OSP) troopers are continuing the investigation into Wednesday afternoon's fatal motorcycle-involved traffic crash that resulted in the death of a 51-year old Rogue River-area woman on Highway 140E near Bly east of Klamath Falls. The woman's name is released in this update.

According to OSP Trooper Patrick Irish, on June 22, 2011 at approximately 3:13 p.m. a 1986 Volkswagen Cabriolet two-door convertible driven by PAULA S. MILLER, age 35, from Beatty, was eastbound on Highway 140E attempting to turn left onto Deer Run Road when it was struck in the rear by a 2008 Can Am motorcycle operated by BONNIE JOELLE BOSGIETER, age 51, from Rogue River. The motorcycle was in the process of trying to pass the turning Volkswagen when the collision occurred.

Upon impact, BOSGIETER lost control of her motorcycle and was ejected. She was wearing a protective helmet and was pronounced deceased at the scene. The motorcycle came to rest in the grass along a fence off the highway.

OSP troopers from the Klamath Falls Area Command office are continuing the investigation.

Actually, not an uncommon accident senerio, bike or car. You got to ride like everyone is trying to kill you. Expect the car to do the worst possible thing at the worst possible moment. If you're ready for it, things go much better.

There are no guarantees in life.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ryde safely, my friends!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

sad to hear of another rider cut off by a driver...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    It is now updated...

My prayers go out to her family

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sanctuary View Post
    sad to hear of another rider cut off by a driver...
    With the information provided, it sounds to me like the driver of the car was NOT at fault. They were turning left when the Spyder approached them from the rear and attempted to pass.

Very sad, nonetheless.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A very unfortunate occurence... Our prayers go out to her surviving family.
    2 possilbe scenarios:
    1. The Volkswagen turned left without signaling or making sure that nobody was overtaking them...
    2. The "Spyderer" ignored the Volkswagen's intentions and thought that the pass was possible...

Either way the result is the same
    Don't ever try to force the issue on the pavement...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Prayers for her and her family.
    Many times I've had to fight temptation to pass someone who stops in the middle of the road, then turns left with NO signal. Not saying this happened, but there are a lot of people out there who just don't care about courtesy.

john

Spyder Garage

Prayers to all.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Prayers for her and her family.
    Many times I've had to fight temptation to pass someone who stops in the middle of the road, then turns left with NO signal. Not saying this happened, but there are a lot of people out there who just don't care about courtesy.

john
    Some will slow and have the very bad habbit of turning to the right to make a left turn, making you think they are pulling to the shoulder, then whip a left turn on you. They don't mean to lure you in but that is exactly what happens.

Very sad indeed.

Spyder Garage

Default Sad News-Ride like your life depends on it!!!

Sad news that this type of accident happened. Always 'Expect the Unexpected' and realize that people do not always think or drive rationally.
    I think this problem becomes worse daily with cell phones, texting and other distractions. Unfortunately we are all guilty of distracted driving at times, but some drivers make a career of doing that. My wife and I joke that some drivers from neighboring states will never wear out their turn signals since they never use them. I bet we would complain about drivers in our state if we lived in their state.

The big disadvantage with smaller vehicles like the Spyder is that you lose when a collision occurs no matter who is at fault.

It is always a good idea to ride like you life depends on it since it does!!!

Spyder Garage

Very sad to lose one of our own. Prayers to the Family. May we all be cautious and drive defensively and be safe!
    SPYDEB

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3Willie View Post

The big disadvantage with smaller vehicles like the Spyder is that you lose when a collision occurs no matter who is at fault.

True, but the advantage is you can stop and maneuver more quickly than virturally anything else on the road today.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Actually, not an uncommon accident senerio, bike or car. You got to ride like everyone is trying to kill you. Expect the car to do the worst possible thing at the worst possible moment. If you're ready for it, things go much better.

There are no guarantees in life.
    You know, I have to chime in here. This scenario is all too common, and I hate to say this, but is generally the biker's fault.

I never pass unless there are no side roads, or visible driveways. The car here is not at fault.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3Willie View Post
    Sad news that this type of accident happened. Always 'Expect the Unexpected' and realize that people do not always think or drive rationally.
    I think this problem becomes worse daily with cell phones, texting and other distractions. Unfortunately we are all guilty of distracted driving at times, but some drivers make a career of doing that. My wife and I joke that some drivers from neighboring states will never wear out their turn signals since they never use them. I bet we would complain about drivers in our state if we lived in their state.

In this case, the spyder was not ridden rationally. The car is not at fault.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

So sorry to hear of this. Prayers going out to her family. It is a sobering reminder to me to contantly be on the defense.

Spyder Garage

Very sad outcome no matter what specific events preceeded it. If there is impact, the Spyder is the loser.

All of us take some risk ryding our Spyders on the road. It is up to us to try and reduce that risk as much as possible. I try and expect drivers of other vehicles to do the most stupid thing possible. Because, more than half the time, they will. My sympathy to her family and friends.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

It's obvious from the comments that you have not ridden on that highway. I have. The VW was probably the only car on the road for miles. Many drivers in similar areas are oblivious to anything outside the car, and in Oregon, they were either driving 80 or 50. Turn signals get very rusty from disuse.

On the other hand, we motorcyclists usually push the speed envelope, and seeing a 50 mph vehicle, with open road & no signals, would tend to maintain speed & pass. Hence, the accident. IMHO, the car's driver probably had NO situational awareness outside the car, & just started her turn, without missing a word of the in-car conversation - she's done this a zillion times.

I suspect the car caused the accident, but the Spyder should have expected the action, and made sure the driver SAW her, before she passed.

This is a beautiful part of our state, and a nice bike road - populated with ranchers that think heavy traffic is one car and a combine in 50 miles of driving.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

A very unfortunate incident. Thoughts and prayers go out for all involved.

I don't think there was enough information to determine who was legally at fault. We don't know if the driver of the car gave a signal, what the relative speeds were, or, really, any other conditions involved. But, as always, the operator of the smaller vehicle loses. As others have said, we must always ride as if every other vehicle on the road is actively trying to kill us. The fact that there was a road available for the Volkswagen to turn on should be enough to warn the rider not to pass, whether there was a turn signal given or not.

I hate that a fellow rider lost her life. If we all use this tragedy as a reminder to ride defensively, then her life won't be lost in vain.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

My prayers go out to her and her family! Be safe out there everyone!!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Very Happy '08 Spyder RS Owner

Spyder Garage

There but for the grace of God there go I.....
    Last edited by Phil; 06-24-2011 at 03:32 PM.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage