Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default GW Motor Trike vs. RT-S SE5

As I said, I would post my thoughts and opinions on my Gold Wing Motor Trike and new RT-S.

I picked up the 2011 RT on Tuesday, March 29 and rode it home, about 100 miles. As you know it is very different from the Wing. Apples and Oranges as some of you say. My '02 Wing ('05 kit) has a rake kit (4.5 degrees) for easier steering and Progressive springs in the front forks. It has OEM CB, AM/FM and an add on XM radio. The audio works very well, with smooth, easy to use toggle switches and push buttons on the consol. The 1832cc engine is smooth with no vibration. My MT kit has air adjustable rear shocks with an on board compressor. I have a solid axle from a Mustang V6 with the Mustang disc brakes on the rear 235R 60 15 tires. The Wing has 105 pounds torque and 106 hp. It is a five speed manual.

I am not a wrench, I am a rider since a ratty 5 hp scooter in 1948. These are my opinions and certainly won't be yours. I will not defend or debate my statements....nor yours.

My RT-S SE5 has BRP CB/GPS/XM radio. I spent two hours trying with little success to tune and set channels on the AM/FM and XM radio. Very confusing and clumsy, much more time consuming than the Wing. My first longer ride, this Saturday of about 180 miles with fourteen other riders on mostly country blacktop backroads. The RT rode and handled pretty well. It understeers in tighter corners and is very touchy to steering input. (I have 18# in the front tires and will reduce that to 16) I have not taken the time to set up the RT as I did the Wing.

I am very disappointed in the audio output to my full face helmet with BRP ear phone and mic. With the volume all the way up on any of the radios, I could bearly make out voices or music unless stopped. My Wing has outstanding output at any speed. I suspect there is a simple fix, I just have not had time to find it.

The RT has good power with it's 80 # of torque and 100 hp.

I topped of the tank before I left with my group. We rode 30-70 moh, with speeds varing often. My gauge went in the red zone @ 120 miles, but the red fuel light did not come on. I was surpirsed when I took 4.8 gal. with 138 on the odometer (which is very accurate as checked against my GPS) for 28.3 mpg. With a 6.6 gallon tank, I think the fuel gauge should be more accurate.

In closing for now, I learned one thing I would not have thought of had I not owned a Wing. The front wheel generated a huge gyroscopic effect on the trike, keeping it steady on line at speed...a GW trike will fall off on a crowned road at low speeds and you have to keep right hand pressure on the hamdlebar.

More later. George Lewis
    Last edited by Mr. White; 05-30-2011 at 02:02 PM.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear you are having trouble adjusting the stations. There was a little help card with mine that guided me through the process.

The sound in the helmet on mine is fine, are you sure it is not set to exterior out put

That is great gas mileage, I am not very fuel efficient on mine, but I have lots of fun.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Sorry to hear you are having trouble adjusting the stations. There was a little help card with mine that guided me through the process.

The sound in the helmet on mine is fine, are you sure it is not set to exterior out put

That is great gas mileage, I am not very fuel efficient on mine, but I have lots of fun.
    What he said about the volume is correct.
    I generally ride with earplugs. On some occasions I've turned the bike off with the volume set for earplugs. If I put the helmet on without earplugs, the volume is so loud my ears hurt.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Sorry about the troubles George - around town, I use FM, and it was a bit kludgy to set up, as I am the 2nd owner, and had to get around the initial set stations - on long trips, I ONLY use my iPod, and it works a treat.

I just came back from putting 100+/- miles on the clock, and the sound system had plenty of volume, whither on the freeway, or around town, however, I never use a full face helmet, nor have sound piped into my hat - I use the speakers. I really like the auto volume on the system, like that on my BMW K12, and, generally, the BRP system is no more complex than the German system.

I must admit, I miss the 53mpg on the K12, but the relaxed riding, and the elimination of the stretch to stop - needed for the K12 - more than makes up for it.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I set the audio from speaker to headset with AVC at "higher". My speakers work fine and I can hear the sounds through the helmet, but low with the volume cranked wide open...when stopped....can't hear it when moving. I can hear my speakers but with my FF, not real well and I don't like to ride with my speakers playing....hey, I paid for headset to work. My Wing works 100% so it is just a glitch somewhere.

I prefer a FF helmet. A number of years ago, a friend of mine, wearing a 3/4 helmet went down and really dinged up his face and chin, which were not protected.

In 2001, on my '95 1500, while stopped to make a left turn, a 21 YO citizen rear ended me. He was going fast enough that they had to tow his pickup away as it bent the right wheel and axel where it could not be driven. A witness told police the Wing went 20 feet and I went 40... My FF helmet looked like I was attacked by an Iranian with a fire axe. Without that helmet, I fear much of me would still be there on the street. JMHO as I put in 29 years in the Air Force so that you can wear any (or none) helmet you wish. JMHO

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When you say "set to exterior output", do you mean "headset"? My screen says speakers or headset as I remember....am I missing something? I hope so as I am really disappointed in the headset output....

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    When you say "set to exterior output", do you mean "headset"? My screen says speakers or headset as I remember....am I missing something? I hope so as I am really disappointed in the headset output....

First off do you have the Quick reference Booklet: ROADSTER ELECTRONIC BOOKLET COMMAND CENTER ( RECC) AND INFOTAINMENT CENTER?

If you do go to the Preferences Menu screen. This is where you will make the necessary changes. If you don't have the paper quick reference Booklet then just follow my directions listed here. Press the Mode button until you get to the screen where at the top it shows three columns titled (left to right) Format, Distance, Miles . Scroll down to Audio and then move cursor to next column on right and scroll to
    Auto Vol Ctr and set to High Then scroll to Ext Speak and set to ON and Just below that is Headset Mode and set to Mix

You can also play with the settings to check that sound is coming through the headset. If it isn't then something isn't right and your dealership will have to check there work unless it is a faulty unit with your helmet or the bikes radio.

hope that helps.

TicketBait

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the trikes that you own and ride.

Marker

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First off do you have the Quick reference Booklet: ROADSTER ELECTRONIC BOOKLET COMMAND CENTER ( RECC) AND INFOTAINMENT CENTER?

If you do go to the Preferences Menu screen. This is where you will make the necessary changes. If you don't have the paper quick reference Booklet then just follow my directions listed here. Press the Mode button until you get to the screen where at the top it shows three columns titled (left to right) Format, Distance, Miles . Scroll down to Audio and then move cursor to next column on right and scroll to
    Auto Vol Ctr and set to High Then scroll to Ext Speak and set to ON and Just below that is Headset Mode and set to Mix

You can also play with the settings to check that sound is coming through the headset. If it isn't then something isn't right and your dealership will have to check there work unless it is a faulty unit with your helmet or the bikes radio.

hope that helps.

TicketBait
    I did what you say above yesterday, BUT I may have set the Ext Speak to OFF, but did have the Headset Mode to Mix....I could hear sound and if very quite, I could make out the words....I will try in the morning and see if Ext Speak is ON....thanks....The speakers work very well, bot not the headset. If this does not work, I will catch it at the 600 check. Thank you. George Lewis

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Default Volume

my wife went through this a year ago, if you are going to use the headset turn the ext. speakers off, the ext. speakers are amplified and the headset is unamplified , you wont hear the headset because to get enough volume in the headset the speakers will be blasting. Its like you are trying to adjust two different volumes you would probably not ever hear the C.B. either, make sure c.b. volume is up and once you adj. the headset volume you should be fine, I think people are interpreting mix as headset and speakers instead of radio and c.b. hope this helps.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I said... "CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?"

Sorry...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I said... "CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?"

Sorry...
    Thank you

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by syclemom View Post
    my wife went through this a year ago, if you are going to use the headset turn the ext. speakers off, the ext. speakers are amplified and the headset is unamplified , you wont hear the headset because to get enough volume in the headset the speakers will be blasting. Its like you are trying to adjust two different volumes you would probably not ever hear the C.B. either, make sure c.b. volume is up and once you adj. the headset volume you should be fine, I think people are interpreting mix as headset and speakers instead of radio and c.b. hope this helps.
    I will try both settings....I think I did and the speakers worked....loud, etc, but I could not get any volume (very little) out of the headset (speakers off). I will try again this morning and go through the whole thing. I have the little booklet that tells how to set the audio, it either does not work as designed or I am missing something. More later. Thanks for your imputs.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I will add this to my comments on BR1. The fit and finish are top quality. I checked the paint, panel fittings, alignment on doors, etc...all first class. The paint has NO defects that I can see.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

I really agree with the FnF comment! Mine is flawless too.

Sorry about your mishap - my close calls have all been in city driving, so we avoid city driving whenever possible (which is 95%). Our typical traffic is shown on the attached photo……….
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Helmet headset sound fixed, or at least I have good volume while sitting in my barn. I am not sure what I did, other than going through all the settings again... anyway I will make a test run later and see how it sounds at 70 and wind. I also repositioned my ear pieces as suggested earlier. Thanks for the help.

Audio controls are confusing vs. the Wing. More setting choices, but some you don't use. I don't know the amplifier rating on the RT, but the Wing is 80 watts...pretty stout for a scoot.

I reduced front tire pressure to 16, down from 18. I left the shock settings on 4. Again, will test ride it for 100 miles or so.

With under 300 miles, it is early to say, but I filled with regular gas twice with no knocking, or any diminished engine performance that I could tell. I will continue to use regular unless there is a problem.
    Last edited by Mr. White; 04-04-2011 at 09:56 PM.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Thanks for share'n George

Hope your having fun while getting adjusted
    As I'm sure there are many differences between your apples & oranges

I keep Teddy & Skydie updated on your adventures with Big Red 1

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    Hope your having fun while getting adjusted
    As I'm sure there are many differences between your apples & oranges

I keep Teddy & Skydie updated on your adventures with Big Red 1
    Did you dye that poor dogs Mohawk blond?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Talking Ummmmmm...... Yes, yes I did

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Did you dye that poor dogs Mohawk blond?
    More like orange, to go Bengals colors
    (that is if we HAVE a FootBall season this year)

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This has been interesting since I'm planning on contacting my dealer in the morning to arrange to get the CB system installed this week. Any thing else I need to know about the CB and sound system.

Also I will be going for my 3000 miles oil change and whatever else is due.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

Default GW Motor Trike vs. RT-S SE5

Big Red 1
    I appreciate your thread about comparing the above. I found your comments very interesting. Last week I test drove a GW motor trike 3 different times, 2 with independent rear suspension and 1 with straight axle. All 3 had easy steer and rode very well & I was told that the straight axle trike would give vibrations in the front-end when the outside tire hit a bump. This was correct information, it did transfer to the front as opposed to the opposite side. I also found that in releasing the clutch and not accelerating, the GW would move forward to about 5-10 mph. It has very good low-end torque.
    I look forward to reading your comments about how the Spyder compares to the GW trike in cornering & left/right turns.
    Regards,
    Reese

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I will have to get used to the RT. I rode on some tight furns and I feel like I sit IN the Wing and ON the RT and tended to slide on the seat. I found that if I hug the tank with my legs, it was much better.

My RT tends to "plant itself" in tight turns....hard to explain, but seems to dig in more than the Wing. I adjusted the tire pressure and will ride those roads again and see if handling is improved. It is good now, but I enjoy making suspension adjustments until I feel the trike is at the top of its ability....

The RT has many suspension adjustments (combinations) and are few and pretty simple on the Wing. You can change front shock springs and that is about it. On my Motor Trike I have an air compressor which I can adjust the air shocks on the fly. Firm in the twisties and softer on the interstate. Apples and oranges...I like them both....

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While reviewing the audio settings I see Low/Dis on the CB screen. I could not find what each setting does in the book. A CB has four watts output to the final and is on the 11 meter band. Our government put CB on one of the worse "distance" bands on purpose so folks could not clutter the airways.

With maybe a mile or slightly more "talking distance" these settings seem useless to me, just as the three settings on the AVC.

Does anyone know what the low/dis settings actually do?

I have no idea how to check the SWR on the RT CB. It is easy on the Wing. A proper SWR (standing wave ratio) lets the CB operate at it's best. Perhaps BRP has the antenna trimmed properly.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I answered my own question....see below.

I am a ham radio operator (WB5WFW) and should have figured out the low/dis setting. It is a RF Attenuator switch. I have one on my amateur radio transceiver. It puts an attenuator in the antenna circuit protecting the RF amplifier and mixer from overload on strong input signals. This means that if you are close to another CB and they key up, it could damage your unit.

I had not seen these terms used before, but finally gave it some thought....and now we know.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Default suggestion

After you try your current tire pressure might try 21-22psi. shocks at max. concensus is a much more planted feel in curves , less squirm of the sidewall, just put general car tires on the wifes and the stiffer sidewall she says is better yet , ride quality still awesome.