Spyder Garage

Default I did it! First Ride of the year--3/3/11

The sunny but cold weather we are having has driven me nuts about getting on the RTS. I fired it up today and went for the first ride of the year--this will be my earliest ride in Alaska (keeping track for the last 10 years). The bike started on the first try--in spite of being on the battery tender since October 29th. I backed it out of my icy driveway and drove the two blocks to get to the secondary road that leads to the highway. No snow on the main roads--but still on the ground. A few icy patches on secondary roads. Rode it about a mile and then back. Was wearing my street clothes so it got cold pretty quick. Im going to gear up with my Firstgear & liners and go for a nice ride this afternoon. Its sunny but 25 degrees above. I am guessing I will have the road to myself except for the cars. Ill fill in a little more after the ride. Went 55 miles on the Highway (65 mph) went 68-69 average. No other motorcycles--but got a few waves from the cagers. The gear kept me warm and I did not suffer from any frostbite or chills. The heated grips were nice and my hands stayed toasty warm. The bike ran like a top and did not seem to suffer from its hibernation. I would say the DPS fix makes the bike seem a bit more responsive and seems to steer a bit more easily. I am taking the day off from work tomorrow--guess what I'm going to be doing?
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-04-2011 at 12:40 PM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good for you. 25 is too cold for me.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Get yur fix in when you can

Properly geared up, it CAN be a Wonderful Experience

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a pair of Gerbing electric gloves that I use on chilly mornings...we are have had a very cold winter.. got down to 10 which is unusual. Anyway, I ordered a hookup and gave it to my dealer to be installed while uncrating the scoot. I have never used heated grips and if not needed I won't use my Gerbings...but just in case..

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by George Lewis View Post
    I have a pair of Gerbing electric gloves that I use on chilly mornings...we are have had a very cold winter.. got down to 10 which is unusual. Anyway, I ordered a hookup and gave it to my dealer to be installed while uncrating the scoot. I have never used heated grips and if not needed I won't use my Gerbings...but just in case..
    I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the intensity of the heated grips. I've been riding all winter with ATV grip covers and the heated grips. I often have to turn the heaters down, as they'll get pretty toasty, especially if you don't wear heavy gloves. Enjoy the hill country; I rode there a lot on my RS, which is still down there at STS.
    Happy 2010 Orbital Blue Spyder RT-S Owner
    TricLED Vader Lightswith Blue Tunnel Lights Option, Aqua Glo-Ryders, TricLED Fender Lights, TricLED Invisible Brake/Running Lights, TricLED Trunk Light.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Shewhoprays's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I LOVE the heated hand grips and wish I had them for my steering wheel in my cage. My husband and I have gone out ryding twice this week. However snow is expected on Saturday. I'm a wiennie. I won't ryde in the snow.

Spyder Garage

Been out around twenty times or so this past month and now these couple of days of March. Of course 45 to 65 degrees here in Alabama is different to the 25 degrees up in Alaska. Man it's been a long winter and I can't wait to really get out there and ryding!
    Thanks Jim - a.k.a. SpyderRider

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny".

~ Thomas Jefferson

Spyder Garage

WTG akspyderman!!
    Still quite cold here but sunny and the high-ways are clear...maybe this afternoon I'll......

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 18 degrees

Hello. Glad you got to get out. I live in upstate NY. I have had an RT for about 8 months. Prior to that I rode 2 wheelers ( 20 years). I have never winterized & stored a bike. I wait for a window of opportunity ( No snow, ice on the road) & take off. It has kept me sane during winter for a long time. When riding 2 wheelers, I would ride if the temp was 25 or above. The extra protection of the spyder has let me ride down to 18 degrees. I don't have any heated gear. I wear a 1 piece roadcrafter suit & medium weight gloves since the heated grips work so well. I can't say I stay toasty warm but being a little chilly is a fair trade for an opportunity to ride. The Spyder draws even more attention in the colder weather. I want to make it clear that I am not bragging or trying to sound tough. Everybody gets to define what riding means to them. If anything, I am bragging about the Spyder. It starts easily at low temperatures even after a couple of weeks of not being ridden, without being on a battery tender. It gives me the best wind protection I have ever had and as mentioned, the heated grips work great. I wish I had moved to 3 wheels sooner.
    Take care & ride when you can. ed mcmillan

Spyder Garage

Yes, it is all about the pleasure of riding when its possible to do so. As long as the roads are safe to ride on, I love to do it. Went out yesterday also (3/4/11) and put another 50 miles on the BLKWDO. The temperature was 18-20 degrees--a little cooler than the previous day. I don't have heated gear--but the Firstgear with winter liners is working just fine. Weather is good today--but am driving into Anchorage for the start of the Iditarod Sled Dog Race--an annual event where they go all the way to Nome in about 9-10 days (over a thousand miles through the wilderness). Now, these are some tough people--and I wont be doing that anytime soon.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default ME TOO

I put almost 800 miles on the Spyder in January and February!!!! OH, forgot to mention I was in Key West, Florida. LOL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by timeless View Post
    I put almost 800 miles on the Spyder in January and February!!!! OH, forgot to mention I was in Key West, Florida. LOL

I'm still waiting for the roads to get cleaned off enough to take a spin. I don't like my bikes getting all salted up riding on cruddy wintertime roads...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black