Spyder Garage

Default Race Tech shocks

Ok, I was very high on owning Penske shocks until I met The Race Tech G3-S shocks.
    Night and day difference ! These shocks gobble up the road and allows for better turning. The Penske were good, but these are so much better, they kinda lull you to sleep on the road being they are so smooth.
    Anyone else have these?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smokster View Post
    Ok, I was very high on owning Penske shocks until I met The Race Tech G3-S shocks.
    Night and day difference ! These shocks gobble up the road and allows for better turning. The Penske were good, but these are so much better, they kinda lull you to sleep on the road being they are so smooth.
    Anyone else have these?
    Got a link? How much are they?
    "You will never see a bike in front of a therapist's office, because riding is the best therapy there is, skip the shrink, buy a bike!"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet24 View Post
    No link, just rode someones and then I bought.
    Price, 500 more than Penske.
    Last edited by smokster; 02-16-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Elka is the only shock for me, 15,000 miles since I put them on. It rides so much better than before.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Red face Google is your friend

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet24 View Post
    Here's the link for the 2010 RT/RT-S Tho, basically it says you have to call for pricing -

http://old.racetech.com/evalving/eng...ngname=english

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    Here's the link for the 2010 RT/RT-S Tho, basically it says you have to call for pricing -

http://old.racetech.com/evalving/eng...ngname=english
    They are 3k
    These were specifically designed for the Spyder

Spyder Garage

Unreal why all these shocks are so much $$$$.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Unreal why all these shocks are so much $$$$.
    Because they can
    My Penske were 2200
    If anyone wants a set of Penske for a decent price, message me.

Spyder Garage

Question Ummmmmm....... WOW!!!

& I thought $700-$800 for Elkas was high

Can someone please explain to me what shocks of this caliber actually gives you. I mean, there are only so much traction a tire can hold & only so many G forces a person can withstand before being thrown off the bike, right? I mean, are these meant for race competition, or how much incrementaly would someone that's a daily Ryder actualy benefit from these shocks?

I apologize for my ignorance. This is my first byke ever & I agree that the handling on the 2010 RT-S needs to better, especially since I ryde every day over every surface under the sun. But I also don't want to go overboard & way over pay for something I'll actually never get the full benefit out of?

Thanks in advance for helping me to understand this very personal subject

Spyder Garage

Can someone please explain to me what shocks of this caliber actually gives you. I mean, there are only so much traction a tire can hold & only so many G forces a person can withstand before being thrown off the bike, right? I mean, are these meant for race competition, or how much incrementaly would someone that's a daily Ryder actualy benefit from these shocks?

I apologize for my ignorance. This is my first byke ever & I agree that the handling on the 2010 RT-S needs to better, especially since I ryde every day over every surface under the sun. But I also don't want to go overboard & way over pay for something I'll actually never get the full benefit out of?

All I can say is that it makes it ride like a lexus, cornering you do not have to hardly lean, no nanny. I ride mountain roads alot. As far as price, it is crazy...but does make a large difference.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, but there is a limit, and 3K is waaaay over the limit. Tnat's just straight-up gouging.

Heck, for that price I can buy a used Interceptor or Z1 and carve up any road I want! Crazy. But that's just me...
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Virtually any front shock upgrade will help a 2010RT. These can range from adding the 2011 shocks, for a few hundred dollars, to Elkas, or Works Performance, to the Race Techs. How much you want depends a lot on you. If you are satisfied with stock, keep what you have. If you want a little improvement, but don't ride real hard, don't have a heavy rider/passenger load, and don't mind leaning into the turns, the 2011 shocks and maybe a sway bar, should work for you. If you demand sports car performance, you may need to go whole hog. Only you can determine your wants and needs.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Question Let me throw this out there & see what I catch?

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Virtually any front shock upgrade will help a 2010RT. These can range from adding the 2011 shocks, for a few hundred dollars, to Elkas, or Works Performance, to the Race Techs. How much you want depends a lot on you. If you are satisfied with stock, keep what you have. If you want a little improvement, but don't ride real hard, don't have a heavy rider/passenger load, and don't mind leaning into the turns, the 2011 shocks and maybe a sway bar, should work for you. If you demand sports car performance, you may need to go whole hog. Only you can determine your wants and needs.
    Thanks Scotty, makes total sense. I don't want to hijack this thread, just get some more precise feedback for my Ryding needs, from those that are more knowledgeable than I.

50% of the time, it's just me & I tend to be a little on the aggressive side when I'm alone. 30% of the time it's just me & Teddy (10lb. Pom.) & whenever he's along, it's always a more casual ryde. The other 20%, it's me, Teddy & either my RT622 trailer or my Moto-Mate Camper. The RT622 handles like a dream, hardly know it's back there. The Moto-Mate is a total different
    story. It's lite, around 340lbs but in size, it's actually taller then the RT-S &
    only has torsion (none) suspension. I've only ridden once with it so far, & it
    was a little on the scary side. Since buying the Moto-Mate, I'm try'n to sell my RT622 trailer so I can pay to paint the Camper to match my RT-S. So, here's my question to all that may know. Be'n in my situation, what would you go for? The '11 shocks, Elkas or something else? Money is a major concern, but rydeability & comfort is paramount. This IS my daily driver & I do like to take allot of road-trips 100+ miles, but again, don't want to get more than I need nor pay for more than necessary

Thanks for any input & I now return this thread to the rightful topic of
    discussion

Spyder Garage

If I were in your situation,I would go with what I could afford.There is no doubt that an up-grade is needed in the 2010.Personally,I put in Elkas and have been smiling ever since.And...I have pulled a rig with a loaded weight of around 450 lbs.,2 up.No problems.I am a fairly aggressive rider without a passenger and trailer and it handles just fine with the Elkas.

Edited to add: For under 2k you can do both front and rear with Elkas.
    Last edited by Eraser; 02-17-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Addition

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Spyder Garage

I think Scotty hit it right on the head. Every one of us has an idea of how they want their machine to feel like and ride like. And with that desire comes decision points on how much to spend to achieve that objective.

From reading many different posts on this very topic, it seems like many of the RT riders who wanted better performance over their stock suspension went with the Elka suspension offerings. Yes, they cost a bit, but they appear to have provided a significant improvement over the stock setup.

RS guys such as myself seem to have a few more options. I went with the 2010 RT shock/spring setup and it has done wonders for handling and stability at a price point that was quite acceptable. Others went deeper and went with Penske or Elka setups. I wanted the Penske's but I just couldn't afford them. Maybe some day.

Now we have a new option, Race Tech. And I certainly didn't mean any disrepect by my last post. They sound incredible; I guess the price just startled me!

All of this still makes me wonder why BRP chose to put such an inferior suspension package in these machines. Perhaps some day they will get a clue and do something about it. At the end of the day we all have to make the choices that we think are best. The nice thing is if you try something and it doesn't work out for you you can offer them up here and someone will want them!
    Last edited by Raptor; 02-17-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    I think Scotty hit it right on the head. Every one of us has an idea of how they want their machine to feel like and ride like. And with that desire comes decision points on how much to spend to achieve that objective.

From reading many different posts on this very topic, it seems like many of the RT riders who wanted better performance over their stock suspension went with the Elka suspension offerings. Yes, they cost a bit, but they appear to have provided a significant improvement over the stock setup.

RS guys such as myself seem to have a few more options. I went with the 2010 RT shock/spring setup and it has done wonders for handling and stability at a price point that was quite acceptable. Others went deeper and went with Penske or Elka setups. I wanted the Penske's but I just couldn't afford them. Maybe some day.

Now we have a new option, Race Tech. And I certainly didn't mean any disrepect by my last post. They sound incredible; I guess the price just startled me!

At the end of the day we all have to make the choices that we think are best. The nice thing is if you try something and it doesn't work out for you you can offer then up here and someone will want them!
    No worries, startled me too, I just ride and try to forget. Business is good and I deserve it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smokster View Post
    No worries, startled me too, I just ride and try to forget. Business is good and I deserve it
    Right on, brother. Right on!! I'm willing to bet someone will scoop up those Penske's. In the mean time, enjoy the ride. I bet it's sweet!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Race Tech vs Elkas

As usual I appreciate all the comments on these threads. I live in San Diego and Race Tech is located about 60 miles away. My Spyder RT mech (I call him the Spyder Doc because he keeps my Spyder running great!) mentioned Race Tech. I tried to find the price on their website and now I know why they don't post it. Man that's alot of money. I did see that you can get the springs custom painted for $60.00 a pair...really?, $2,200 and you have to pay extra for the paint!

Guess I'll go with Elkas. The Doc also said if I go with the Elkas on an RT the basic model is all I should get. The other options really won't make a big difference on an RT and would be waste of $.

No offense but the only thing that I'm not wild about is that the Elka's are made in Quebec...seems like customer service in that neck of the Canadian woods is not so great. Plus I'd like to support the local economy.

pitbull

I can tell you this much elkas support and proactivness is second to none, John is right there to help anytime needed, and is a site sponsor which helps make Spyderlovers possible, the difference the supension make to a Spyder in the end makes it one of the most popular, and best moods you can do to your ryde. Elka stand behind you and helps keep us in the best products available, your putting your life on the line with them, and they take that very serious, thanks elka for all you do, and for never being second rate.

Spyder Garage

I will go to the cycle shop and get 4 wheeler shocks for less than 200 bucks be for I ask my wife for 2+ grand She would say "get the welder out and make them fit"
    Hot Wheels loves to ROCK!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    No offense but the only thing that I'm not wild about is that the Elka's are made in Quebec...seems like customer service in that neck of the Canadian woods is not so great. Plus I'd like to support the local economy.
    I have been a member/ sponsor on this site since October 2010, and have been more than open to helping the members on this board with any questions or inquiries into our products. I am not sure what companies you have dealt with in Quebec that rubbed you in the wrong way, but I can assure you that not only do I feel our company provides great customer service, but we also use many US suppliers to build our products, so supporting us IS supporting the US economy.

Come and meet me in person at Spyderfest, and I guarantee you that you will walk away with a different attitude about people in " this neck of the Canadian woods".

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    I have been a member/ sponsor on this site since October 2010, and have been more than open to helping the members on this board with any questions or inquiries into our products. I am not sure what companies you have dealt with in Quebec that rubbed you in the wrong way, but I can assure you that not only do I feel our company provides great customer service, but we also use many US suppliers to build our products, so supporting us IS supporting the US economy.

Come and meet me in person at Spyderfest, and I guarantee you that you will walk away with a different attitude about people in " this neck of the Canadian woods".
    :Agree: 1000%

You guys do an awesome job John. And "thank you" for that!