Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spyder Campers

Spyder Garage

I think the teardrop trailer is a great choice for some people, and I even considered building one for myself. Keep in mind, however, that this unit exceeds the stated towing capacity for the Spyder RT and the BRP hitch. That may or may not pose actual problems (I'm sure there was a safety factor in setting those limits), but if you choose to go this route, you assume the risk.....both to the vehicle and the warranty.

If you already have an RT-622 or another trailer, you may wish to just purchase a large pop-up tent, air-bed, and the heater or AC unit of your choice if you go deluxe. Standard trailers will hold a lot of camping gear.

Motorcycle camping is neat! One of my favorite things to do since back in the Sixties. I have used a bedroll and Army poncho, a variety of tents...large and small, and my Aspen Sentry camping trailer. All have their pluses and minuses. I have strapped my gear to my bike, and used a trailer to haul enough to put up a company of men. There is no perfect way to go.....and no bad way to go. Whatever route you choose, prepare carefully, then go have some fun!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I love Tear drop campers, have a homebuilt sitting in my yard. I concidered building a smaller version for the Spyder, but you get a lot more for your $$$ buying factory.

I was also concerned by the weight...here's the one I'll buy when the time is right. The Moto-Mate is 100 pounds lighter than the Rascal.

http://microlitetrailer.com/MLThome.htm?MLTmotomate.htm

Spyder Bytes: Kury ISO Grips, GL1500 Windshield Vent w/ accent, Heel-Toe Shifter(inspectorgadget), HMT Brake Light, 12v outlet in frunk, GPS-Phone mount w/ case(techmounts.com), seat seal, Right Side Grill Covers(customdynamics.com), Fan Can10(ISCIrides.com), CAT Shields(SpyderPops.com), Elka Shocks, PressurePro TPMS, Cobra CB....and of course Cup Holders(mycupholders.com)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by John G View Post
    I love Tear drop campers, have a homebuilt sitting in my yard. I concidered building a smaller version for the Spyder, but you get a lot more for your $$$ buying factory.

I was also concerned by the weight...here's the one I'll buy when the time is right. The Moto-Mate is 100 pounds lighter than the Rascal.

http://microlitetrailer.com/MLThome.htm?MLTmotomate.htm
    Interesting unit! Not the traditional shape, but it looks very practical. Note that the tongue weight exceeds the maximum allowable for the Spyder and the BRP hitch. If you use one with a Spyder, I'd recommend loading some of your gear behind the axle, to reduce the tongue weight.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder campers

I'll throw one more possibility out here. I bought and have pulled my komfort Kamp trailer over 1000 miles. It only weighs 250 lbs. which is within BRP specs.. I don't do well with tents and sleepng on the ground. With the trailer in transport mode, I still have 15 cu. ft. of storage available. When it is set up, there is a walk thru door that makes it easy to get into the camper. It also trails beautifully.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Red face

So many choices

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Ok, so here's what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Interesting unit! Not the traditional shape, but it looks very practical. Note that the tongue weight exceeds the maximum allowable for the Spyder and the BRP hitch. If you use one with a Spyder, I'd recommend loading some of your gear behind the axle, to reduce the tongue weight.
    Scotty (& any1 else interested), if you go to the micro-lite website, it does show the tongue weight as being 49lbs. But if you download the PDF, it shows the dry weight as 332lbs. & tongue weight as 20lbs. I didn't understand the difference, so Thursday I drove from Cincy to Indy (230 mile round trip) to visit the RV & Camper Show at the State Fairgrounds & they had one unit there, which I bought The 20lb. tongue weight is true. If you add the optional spare tire & mount it to the tongue, that's where they come up with the 49lb tongue weight. You can always mount the spare (if u get it) in another location like under the unit, therefore keeping within BRP Specs
    So, to sum up, there is a choice out there in hard-sided campers that does stay within the BRP specs for towing & tongue weight, & that is the Micro-Lite Moto-Mate made in Elkhart Indiana

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    "I drove from Cincy to Indy (230 mile round trip) to visit the RV & Camper Show at the State Fairgrounds & they had one unit there, which I bought "
    me sooooo jealous

Spyder Bytes: Kury ISO Grips, GL1500 Windshield Vent w/ accent, Heel-Toe Shifter(inspectorgadget), HMT Brake Light, 12v outlet in frunk, GPS-Phone mount w/ case(techmounts.com), seat seal, Right Side Grill Covers(customdynamics.com), Fan Can10(ISCIrides.com), CAT Shields(SpyderPops.com), Elka Shocks, PressurePro TPMS, Cobra CB....and of course Cup Holders(mycupholders.com)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Padre Spyder View Post
    Little Guy is a little heavy at 490 lb but tows as well as the 300 lb pop ups I had. I think the reason is the suspension and wheel size. 175/80R13. I am getting 31mph towing.
    Although not shown in the photo, there is a Rain Fly for the Room
    I wonder if I start pulling one of these I'll get better gas mileage? I don't think I could get 31mph going downhill with a 4 yr old driving it!

Very cool little camper.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I have been thinking of building a teardrop to tow behind my spyder.It would have tobe at least 5 feet high counting ground clearance and 4 feet wide,what could be used for rear view mirrors.At this height and width no way could you see back.! did see on one forum that one biker had installed a rear view camera

Spyder Garage

Post Just found another INTERESTING tent option

If someone is interested in a tent/camper that can be towed by an RT & still stay within BRP's 40/400lbs. weight limit, you may wanna check out this site. Looks very interesting, tho it is still a TENT, on wheels & up off the ground it may be just what someone is looking for

http://www.activitytrailer.com/tent.htm

Spyder Garage

Scotty (& any1 else interested), if you go to the micro-lite website, it does show the tongue weight as being 49lbs. But if you download the PDF, it shows the dry weight as 332lbs. & tongue weight as 20lbs. I didn't understand the difference, so Thursday I drove from Cincy to Indy (230 mile round trip) to visit the RV & Camper Show at the State Fairgrounds & they had one unit there, which I bought The 20lb. tongue weight is true. If you add the optional spare tire & mount it to the tongue, that's where they come up with the 49lb tongue weight. You can always mount the spare (if u get it) in another location like under the unit, therefore keeping within BRP Specs
    So, to sum up, there is a choice out there in hard-sided campers that does stay within the BRP specs for towing & tongue weight, & that is the Micro-Lite Moto-Mate made in Elkhart Indiana
    Good information to know. That makes another viable option. Enjoy!
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Time Out camper

+I couldn't swing another trailer buy, so a couple of years ago, I did a frame-up restoration on my 1984 TimeOut 4-sleeper popup camper utilizing all of the original pieces (except the wood 8^D). This trailer's been cross country several times, and probably has well over 50,000 miles on it. I still couldn't afford to replace the canvass piece, though, so I live with a few holes in the tent fabric...
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...es/35_3896.jpg
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...es/35_7108.JPG
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...es/35_7109.JPG
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...es/35_7110.JPG
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...es/35_7111.JPG
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...es/35_7113.JPG
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...es/35_7114.JPG
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...es/35_8705.JPG

Tongue weight is only 20 lbs.

http://timeouttrailers.org/TimeOutandEasy.aspx

Ride on.
    Roadkill
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10319.JPG

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    I have been thinking of building a teardrop to tow behind my spyder.It would have tobe at least 5 feet high counting ground clearance and 4 feet wide,what could be used for rear view mirrors.At this height and width no way could you see back.! did see on one forum that one biker had installed a rear view camera

built this little beautiy a few years back, hadn't thought about building a smaller version...but now?

Spyder Garage

Talking I now have a 1 Spyder 2 Trailer Garage

Well, this weekend I took the plunge & got the 2010 Moto-Mate camper. I couldnt add pics to my earlier post (Ipad) so I thought I'd share them in this post, along with a curious tidbit for y'all to maul over The 3rd pic shows my 1st trip to Indy & I averaged 21 MPG, on the way home, (I hit 10K Miles ) and averaged 25 MPG. all of this trip was just me & Teddy with no trailer. The 2nd pic shows my 2nd trip to Indy & on the way there, with just me, Teddy & the RTS, I averaged 21 MPG. On the way home, with pulling my new 330lb trailer, i also averaged 21 MPG

Is this all do to my average speed??? Thats the only thing I notice thats different. But wow, pulling a trailer & I get the same average gas miliage as without the trailer
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Twenty-one is pretty low, even for an RT. Are you sure you don't have a bad spark plug or an AAPTS problem? Any other performance issues (missing, knocking, lack of roll-on power)? If you had your windshield all the way up, it could have made the difference.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Hmmmmm...... & huh?

Twenty-one is pretty low, even for an RT. Are you sure you don't have a bad spark plug or an AAPTS problem? Any other performance issues (missing, knocking, lack of roll-on power)? If you had your windshield all the way up, it could have made the difference.
    I have no problems that I can tell, at the present time. I have always avg'd between 21-26 mpg. since the day I brought her home. She's not missing, & I have no clue what the AAPTS is to know if I have a problem with it or not so forgive my ignorance, but if you could elaborate on that I'd appreciate it As for roll on power, sure, I'd like more, but again, seems the same since day 1. As for the shield, I usually ryde with it at midlevel at all tymes. That way, it blocks most turbulence but doesn't create an "eddy" effect on the back of my helmet

Thanks for advice and input as Im a bit stumped to why this is

Spyder Garage

Trailer looking great
    How does the trailer tow behind the spyder, any issues?
    Thinking about getting one from Littleguy

Spyder Garage

if your using ethanol gas it cuts milage big time,i lost 5mph per gallen when i tried it .i alwas use hi test gas in motorcycles,and the gas i lost the 5 was only 10% ethanol.

Spyder Garage

I have no problems that I can tell, at the present time. I have always avg'd between 21-26 mpg. since the day I brought her home. She's not missing, & I have no clue what the AAPTS is to know if I have a problem with it or not so forgive my ignorance, but if you could elaborate on that I'd appreciate it As for roll on power, sure, I'd like more, but again, seems the same since day 1. As for the shield, I usually ryde with it at midlevel at all tymes. That way, it blocks most turbulence but doesn't create an "eddy" effect on the back of my helmet

Thanks for advice and input as Im a bit stumped to why this is
    Quote Originally Posted by napper39 View Post
    if your using ethanol gas it cuts milage big time,i lost 5mph per gallen when i tried it .i alwas use hi test gas in motorcycles,and the gas i lost the 5 was only 10% ethanol.
    The AAPTS is the Ambient Air Pressure and Temperature Sensor. If it is not showing obvious problems, like reading 10 or more degrees high on your dash display...and changing extremely slowly, it is probably OK...especially in the absence of any knocking or backfiring. High ethanol fuels will definitely cut into your mileage. Can't get anything without ethanol here in Michigan...and it doesn't even need to be labelled.

Your best bet may be to ride a dealer demo to compare to the performance of your RT. If it seems the same, you are probably the victim of the local roads, your riding style, the windshield position, speed, and the local gasoline. If the demo RT obviously has more power, something is probably amiss with your machine. Still surprised your towing mileage was the same, however.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Schultzi View Post
    Trailer looking great
    How does the trailer tow behind the spyder, any issues?
    Thinking about getting one from Littleguy
    Well, I've only had it out once & that was the 120 mile ryde home with it from the Indy camper show on Sunday. The Moto-Mate has NO suspension whatsoever On the company website, it lists "torsion suspension" but when I look at it, it looks like 2 wheels bolted to the frame guess that's considered "torsion suspension" let's just say you will know it's back there & will have go adjust your ryde'n style accordingly. There's no comparing the RT-622 trailer & a Moto-Mate, as the 622 has it's own suspension not to mention it was designed for the RT. On my 2400 mile trip to FL in July, do'n 80 in a thunderstorm thru GA, I honestly couldn't tell it was back there I luv the Moto-Mate but will be
    Look'n for advice (ANYONE) as to how to better the suspension. I'd like to get another set of the Smoked RTS 6 spoke wheels for it so that it better matches the byke, but am clueless as to what to do to better the actual suspension itself. Don't get me wrong, it handles ok & is totally usable in stock form, but after experiencing the delight of the 622, I guess I'm a bit spoiled
    And would like to better my experience with the Moto-Mate if at all possible.

The AAPTS is the Ambient Air Pressure and
    Temperature Sensor. If it is not showing obvious problems, like reading 10 or
    more degrees high on your dash display...and changing extremely
    slowly, it is probably OK...especially in the absence of any knocking or
    backfiring. High ethanol fuels will definitely cut into your mileage. Can't get
    anything without ethanol here in Michigan...and it doesn't even need to be
    labelled.

Your best bet may be to ride a dealer demo to compare to the performance of
    your RT. If it seems the same, you are probably the victim of the local roads,
    your riding style, the windshield position, speed, and the local gasoline. If the
    demo RT obviously has more power, something is probably amiss with your
    machine. Still surprised your towing mileage was the same,
    however.
    Ahh yes, the dealer demo Tried that a while back & I liked the performance of my RTS much better as mined just seemed a bit more peppy & tighter than there demo, loose & used

Ive been filling up at my local station close to home (in KY) & I know during the summer, we have the higher ethanol crap, but that's suppose to be only during summer months. But I'll start filling up after work (in OH) as I know they don't change blends at all, just to see if I notice any difference.

As for the temp sensor, it consistently reads about 6 degrees warmer than actual temp, tho it does seem to be consistent & as stated, I don't have any issues with missing or backfiring

Spyder Garage

How do you guys fit in these things??? I couldn't curl up in most of those trailers!
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

A torsion suspension arrangement often looks like no suspension at all, at first glance. If the axle stubs are on the ends of short arms that have the other ends bolted to the chassis, that is a torsion suspension. The short arm rotates on a rubber or spring at the mounted end, to provide allow the wheel to move up and down, independently of the chassis. Pushing down hard over a wheel should confirm it, or jack the trailer up and see if the wheel drops slightly. There is little travel for small trailer torsion axles. There are no shock absorbers for most small trailer suspensions. The weight rating of the axle, combined with the weight of the trailer, will determine the harshness of the ride. A fully loaded trailer always rides softer than an empty one.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    How do you guys fit in these things??? I couldn't curl up in most of those trailers!
    Well, I'm just a lil guy at only 5'9 & about a buck seventy & its just me & Teddy & he's only about 9.5lbs. & maybe 2ft if he's lucky, so we fit just fine

My neighbor Frank came out to look at the camper & he's at least 6'4 & there's no way in he could fit even by himself so yeah, for the larger peeps out there, or more than 1+ 1/2 you'd prolly have to go with a tent style camper. I think I measured it like 3' wide by 8' long for my Moto-Mate. I can't speak for any of the other brands like the lilguy, but can't imagine them being much wider nor longer for the models than could be towed by the Spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    My wife and I both sleep comfortably in our "Little Guy" but we are not large people. Im 5'10", 160lb, and Winnie is 5", 100lbs.
    The Rascal is 44" wide and about 84" Long inside, plenty for us.
    Padre Spyder & Jenny
    Riding the Dream on a Dream Ride

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up I've had a few requests for info on campers, thought I'd revive this Thread

Jan31-2011 063.jpgJan31-2011 082.jpg321.jpgJan31-2011 081.jpg2011-04-30 SpyderFest2011LadyBug 003-1-1.jpgWoW, talk'n about bringing back memories, I remember our 230 mile trip to Indy like it was yesterday to get our Moto-Mate Camper. At SpyderFest 2011 was our first experience using the Moto-Mate & we stayed at the LadyBug Campground & I had a disconcerting learning curve on our first night. I didn't realize with Teddy & I inside & having the unit totally closed up, there was no air flow, so when we awoke the first morning, all the aluminum interior braces were covered in condensation & I was at a loss, thinking the unit must be leaking somewhere ahhhh yes, ignorance Padre Spyder, the original poster of this thread, was actually our neighbor right next to us at LadyBug, Great ppl, him, his wife & their Jack Russell, Jenny I believe. He gave me a word of advice to keep the vent cracked so there is air-flow & guess what, no condensation I never got to thank you , as this was the trip that Teddy injured his leg & we had to leave early for emergency surgery for the lil guy. Even with Teddys injury, this was our First Spyder event, and we met so many wonderful fellow Spyder Owners, even from 1/2 way across the world (dol, from Belgium) and had the Time of our Lives thanks to ALL OF YOU! Ive never been part of such a Wonderful Group of People, Spyder Owners are a unique breed in deed. Our second trip was to SITA, where we shared a campsite with (Arntufun & Holly) & I wasn't sure what to expect as we didn't know them at the time & now, well, thats history full of Great Memories. Didn't have any issues with the Moto-Mate just good times with Great Friends. Ive added a rectangular camper umbrella that I added rope-lights to that fits perfectly over top the Camper, to provide added rain protection, shade on sunny days & light at night & it works pretty dang well. And in hommage to Randy (Arntufun) Teddy had me get a rotating disco-ball to add to the outside of the camper, just like he had. I remember when we got to the campground really late & the entire campground was pitch black & I called Randy for help in locating their site & he told me, "Oh, no problem, just look for the blue rope lights & the rotating Disco-Ball & I was think, OMG, what have I getten us into!" But you know what, he was right, like a lighthouse in the middle of the black sea GOOD TIMES WITH GREAT FRIENDS
    Last edited by CyncySpyder; 03-23-2012 at 04:02 AM.