1-up

Default Size Does Matter!

Met with SpyderSteve October 2nd at a local Tim Horton's coffee shop. Granted it was raining, lightly.
    Somewhat preferable to snow which shall arrive too soon in this part of Canada. Steve arrived just as
    I was getting my caffeine kick, gave him the credit card to get one for himself; he was chilled. Looked real cold he did!
    Just as he was seated, my young at heart friend Holli arrived, and she got her own clear (black) coffee.
    We talked for a bit, Steve regained feeling in his anatomy and I did the introductions. It kept raining.

We then wandered outside, I grabbed my helmet and my old servicable
    leather jacket. Now you have to understand the is about the
    same size beside me as an Austin Mini, maybe even smaller?

So have a look at the first picture. See? Me compared to the Spyder!

The next photo shows me on the Spyder with Steve contemplating
    how he was going to get home if I squashed the machine.

Next a quick introduction to mysteries of the device. An electronic know-it-all telling me to
    read the instruction card at the start is a pain; shall have to figure how to remove same
    from the memory if I purchase one of these devices.

Started the machine. That's when I discovered sitting on the back seat of the machine
    made life far simpler. Simpler yet the rig felt off balance, so shifted forward a tad.
    Better, however not great. See? Nothing fits!

Steve noted the steering arms were extended by a non-metric inch
    towards the operator/driver/engineer? Am thinking; this device has more farkles
    than a normal anything deserves. Sort of almost an experiment in progress.
    But then farkles are experiments, eh?

Starting the machinery proved 1,500 RPM was normal idle speed. Steve
    asked me to lift my right foot from the brake and then push down before
    pushing the tranmission button to engage the machinery. It did need a
    little bit of umph to get rolling, however was soon moving.
    Was surprised the machine was as stable as it was even at the low speeds.
    Side to side movement also confirmed for me the stablity factor.
    With my six foot eight inch height it was obvious there would be
    some issues later. A very stiff suspension is requested.
    Ditto a much taller windscreen, at least two feet higher IMO.

Steve spent considerable time explaining the various features. I was impressed
    by the solid design in the front steering components. Steve noted the forward
    illumination wasn't good, seems LED lights are preferred. Something for the
    winter I told Steve. We here in Canada receive winter, a time for the
    addition of new accessories.

Soon it was time to depart. Steve had been extremely gracious. My
    dimutive friend Holli hopped on and thought, "great for the future when
    balancing two wheels is impractical." Steve made comment the Spyder
    would require modifications so I could operate it. The brake lever would
    have to be placed on the handle grip, if only because my feet are so
    long and wide, the brake would have been applied all the time.

The parking brake was also not easily applied. Again the size of my
    feet was a factor. And of course the handlebars striking my knees on turns.
    (look at the smallest image). Custom floor boards would not doubt have to
    be designed to accomodate my large feet (BTW feet are equivalent size
    fourteen however are six inches wide at the widest point.)
    Thinking larger orange rear turn signals and bright red multiple
    brake lights as LED's would be far more brilliant and easier on the electrics.

There seems to be a suspension problem; Steve being a svelte guy
    where as I tip the scales over 400 pounds! This Spyder's suspension was not quite up to the task.
    Was concerned as the steering radius was somewhat limited.
    The handlebars struck my knees as I turned the front wheels of the Spyder.
    Methinks either I sit way back or extend the handlebars even more.
    Again, a chance for experimentation.

See the photos for more details, with apologies for the softness of same.
    A small point and shoot in two of hydrogen and one of liquid oxygen
    doesn't always render images quite the way onewould prefer.

Bottom line, the concept is good, the execution needs
    improvement, however as mentioned elsewhere the
    sheckles shall have to be accumulated; Cash on the barrelhead
    so to speak. Ontario Lottery Corporation here I come.

My thanks then to SpyderSteve for driving west
    during inclement weather on his weekend.

Having been riding for almost 40 yesrs (am I that old?)
    and this past year was the first without motorized two wheels.
    Methinks three wheels as per an early Morgan is the best
    for stability and long term comfort. BRP is still learning;
    as we all are...

1-UP, Burlington, Ontario,
    Canada, eh?
    Last edited by 1-up; 10-02-2010 at 08:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

that Dude is Huge...

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question What about an RT?

You may want to check out an RT instead of the RS. I don't have the specs, but I know the RT is a bit larger and may be more accommodating for you, especially given your larger stature. Don't get me wrong, you'll still need mods, but I think it would be a better starting point for you. Just my 2 cents. Good luck to you

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    You may want to check out an RT instead of the RS. I don't have the specs, but I know the RT is a bit larger and may be more accommodating for you, especially given your larger stature. Don't get me wrong, you'll still need mods, but I think it would be a better starting point for you. Just my 2 cents. Good luck to you

At 2 meters (6'6") in height myself, I sometimes rode the pillion on the RS, now that I've an RT, I've not had to do that. It's still about an inch too far forward in the seat (I've a 38 inch inseam and sleeve), but it's comfortable even for very long rides (1500 miles in just over 3 days). I also suspect you underestimate the ergonomics of the Spyder. I wear a US size 16 shoe and have had no trouble with the shifting or braking. On the RT, my shoe size is probably a little advantageous, as I can have my heel on the peg and the toes on the 'wing' for an ad hoc footboard. Dive in, you'll be a very proud addition to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen on Spyders.

By the way, if you want to do a size comparison, there are a few photos of me on the Spyder, both RT and RS, in my Scavenger Hunt entries: Updated Google Doc
    Last edited by Brevet05; 10-02-2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Added Scavenger Hunt link
    Happy 2010 Orbital Blue Spyder RT-S Owner
    TricLED Vader Lightswith Blue Tunnel Lights Option, Aqua Glo-Ryders, TricLED Fender Lights, TricLED Invisible Brake/Running Lights, TricLED Trunk Light.

Spyder Garage

Seeing is believing! You told us how big you were in the other posts, and I was having a very hard time imagining it. Now that I see you next to the Spyder, it looks like a toy. As others have stated an RT with some modification may be much better for you.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

RT-S PE-0399
    Spyder Garage

Being 6'6" myself, I totally understand the issuses you noted. I got the RT and added the Seal floorboards so I can position my feet better. Sometimes when I take a short back road to the grocery store I test out driving from the back seat, maybe if I was 6'10" or taller it would be good. As far as the suspension goes, I am about 340 to 350 lbs and have had my daughter on the back of the RT. thats about 480 to 500 lbs total, it had no real effect on the Spyder RT. I will be upgrading the front shocks to the 2011 ones or Elkas to stiffen the ride, but it is still good now.

I did not fit on the RS worth a darn but the RT is a bigger man's machine. I say try one before you make up your mind.

The other Scotty

1-up

Default Me on the time machine

It is amazing how photographs illustrate
    what is happening more than the person in the photographs is aware. The suspension is for sure a problem, and too the turning radius on the handlebars.

Some off hand queries then.

The machine itself, is it something that is alteration-friendly?
    At one time sold and installed leading link forks for sidecar rigs, and imported and set up sidecars for people. Found most machines were then straightforward in design. These days in the era of aluminum frames a sub frame for mouting a sidecar is de rigeur. BTW sidecar setup could almost be called a black art. Start with a set of known parameters and then go from there.

Am reminded time and again that any modification to the structural integrity of a device will change characteritics of said device.

So modifications I would make from the get-gp would be a heavy duty shock (as there is but one it better be good), and looking at SpyderSteve's rig am very impressed as to the physical characteristics of the main frame. There's nothing poor in the design.
    Probably the handlebar risers of at least three inches if not more. Would be concerned as to the length of the lines for the various connections.

Always had boards on my Goldwing so similar for my own machine.

Also perhaps change the incandescent rear and turn signal lamps for something LED to reduce power consumption.

Am somewhat concerned as to the number of circuits controlled by computers; thus the battery would maybe have an auxiliary connection board from the main terminals. Am thinking my own choice would be
    some place to install two metree/440 ham radio. The shape and amount of bodywork is interesting but would limit where one might mount auxiliary items. Would purchase cover forthe belt drive; one large stone in the belt would be disastrous. Wonder what the wear factor is on the sprockets and the belt itself?

Again something to look at and feel and understand.

The Spyder does lend itself to modification, any new on the road device usually gets changes; either initiated by the manufacturer or by the owners themselves.

And the Rotax engine is a durable design; any problems with the engine itself, not talking the outboard items such as alternator, oil filter or similar. But the engine itself.

Any front suspension problems?

Just thinking what i would need to modify beforeriding the machine.
    The seat would be flattened under my bulk, after market seats are very difficult to design from a distance so would be wary of ordering same from a foreign manufacturer. And face it Spyders are not that old so how any one person sits on same may well change over time.

Anybody else have thoughts after reviewing the discourse and viewing the photographs?

1-up

Spyder Garage

I wonder if the spyder comes in XXXL?

Spyder Garage

There are many things on the Spyder that are easy to modify, and most of the ones you mentioned are readily available from Sponsors of this web site.

There are several options for handlebar risers, each with their own design benefits so you would have to look at them and determine what would work well for you. ESI Cycle Products and Kewl Metal are the first 2 that come to my mind when thinking about risers.

It was discovered that you can put the RT front shocks on the RS model, which I think adds another 100 lbs of spring tension. Quite a few ryders have done this now and are very pleased with the result. If those are not heavy duty enough, you have the option of going with Elka or Penske shocks as well, which I understand can be custom built to your weight specifications. This may be your only option for a new rear shock.

Lighting changes to LED are readily available as well, you can check out ESI Cycle Products, TricLED, and Kewl Metal, for those as well.

The engine appears to be pretty darn bullet proof. Docdoru just blew his up at the Bonneville Salt Flats, but it had 90,000 original miles and he was boosting it with a turbo unit when it failed. Most of us will never have to worry about anything like that.

Hope that helps.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hey it's nice to see I'm not the only large guy riding a Spyder. i'm 6'8" and about 310lb, riding an SE5 with the only mods being the 1" riser for the handlebars and an added set of highway pegs so I can stretch my legs occasionally.
    Ergonomics is a funny thing and the way we fit the machine is oddly different even if we seem to have the same inseam and sleeve lengths.
    I tried an RT and found it had no room- the handlebars are way too close and the bump in the seat is right where I want to sit. On the other hand I fit nicely on the RS except I wish for lower footpeg location...why they don't put them down much lower is beyond me, it doesn't lean in corners and there is no danger of pegs scraping.

One up I have no complaints about the stock suspension. I have it set one set below the top preload position and it is compliant and comfortable. I figure us big guys will experience more lean then others as we have high CG. I'll add the stiffer sway bar if it ever bothers me enough to spend the money.
    Riding two up does indicate I might need a stiffer rear spring at least, maybe a better shock, but I don't travel long distance two up so I haven't made the change.

Overall the Spyder is a great way to ride, and this is a prime season- when the wet leaves fall and the pine needles are all over the back roads making it dangerous for two wheelers, us 3 wheel riders can ride safe and enjoy the Fall colors.

best of luck in your search for a great ride.