Spyder Garage

Default Parking brake not working - what's the process to adjust? Does this look right?

I just purchased a 2017 RT Limited with a non-working parking brake. I could hear the motor turning but brake was not setting. Removed the side panel and found that the gear was broken. I have one on order but would like help on fixing this. I'm concerned because the cable that connects to the gear does not have any slack at all. Does anyone know the procedure of adjusting the parking brake cable? Does your cable look awkward at the caliper like mine? Also, I think my switch is bent the wrong way, it looks like it should be straight pressing the button on the left, can someone please confirm? Any help is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2024 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I think that is just the beginning of the issues you are going to have, as it looks like it was driven of salted winter roads or in salt water. The caliper is rotated to the back out of position. The black part that is behind the parking brake cable in picture #1 should be attached to the swing arm, see the slot in that arm. That is what broke the pully, the caliper rotated back pulling hard on the cable. Someone put it together wrong or a bolt went MIA. Part # 100 is the caliper mount and you can see the slot in it had need to be clocked to the swing arm. My trike is in the hospital or I would take a picture for you.
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 06-10-2024 at 05:59 PM.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

What you have there is a case of an angry owner that didn't know how to fix his brake problems. He has broken the actuator pulley, your miro switch is bent or broke and where's the end of your cable on the motor end? If you don't have a repair manual, I would download one, you will get all you need for info in that! Hope you got a new cable coming also!! Good Luck let us know how you make out!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    I think that is just the beginning of the issues you are going to have, as it looks like it was driven of salted winter roads or in salt water. The caliper is route to the back out of position. The black part that is behind the parking brake cable in picture #1 should be attached to the swing arm, see the slot in that arm. That is what broke the pully, the caliper rotated back pulling hard on the cable. Someone put it together wrong or a bolt went MIA.
    I knew that looked wrong. That makes sense why there is no slack in the line and why the cable looks crooked at the caliper. Looks like I just need to remove the wheel to line up the caliper bracket correctly. Now just to find out about the switch....

Anyone willing to take the right panel off and send a picture of their switch? It's only 6 bolts

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    What you have there is a case of an angry owner that didn't know how to fix his brake problems. He has broken the actuator pulley, your miro switch is bent or broke and where's the end of your cable on the motor end? If you don't have a repair manual, I would download one, you will get all you need for info in that! Hope you got a new cable coming also!! Good Luck let us know how you make out!!

The end of the cable is there on the pulley side, I think it's going to be fine. Just need to see which angle to bend that switch properly

Spyder Garage

I drew on your picture of the switch.
    The bent metal should be straightened out so the little wheel on it will roll on the angled part when actuated. That will make it move upwards and actuate the little knob by the arrow and stop the brake motor.

Hope my English is understandable.

Micro switch.jpg

And it looks like you need a new cable pulley, I think it broke off where the cable hook up point is!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2024 at 02:18 PM. Reason: spelling
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorwegianRT View Post
    The bent metal should be straightened out so the little wheel on it will roll on the angled part when actuated. That will make it move upwards and actuate the little knob by the arrow and stop the brake motor.

Micro switch.jpg

And it looks like you need a new cable pulley, I think it broke off where the cable hook up point is!

Hi, thank you for the drawing. This is how I suspected it is supposed to go. Yes, I ordered a new pulley, it is broken.

Thank you everyone.

I will report back when fixed.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2024 at 02:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cobramadness View Post
    Hi, thank you for the drawing. This is how I suspected it is supposed to go. Yes, I ordered a new pulley, it is broken.

Thank you everyone.

I will report back when fixed.
    My pleasure! Good luck with repairs.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2024 at 02:19 PM.
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cobramadness View Post
    The end of the cable is there on the pulley side, I think it's going to be fine. Just need to see which angle to bend that switch properly
    Most of the time what will happen is that the cable will get sticky and bind in the sheath of the cable; next thing you know, it pops off the wheel, gets bent, and doesn't slide well. Make sure the return spring on your caliper looks good and is not all bent up; make sure the cable doesn't bind, is well lubed, and goes both ways easily; or you will have the same problem the last owner had. Again, good luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2024 at 06:29 PM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Most of the time what will happen is that the cable will get sticky and bind in the sheath of the cable; next thing you know, it pops off the wheel, gets bent, and doesn't slide well. Make sure the return spring on your caliper looks good and is not all bent up; make sure the cable doesn't bind, is well lubed, and goes both ways easily; or you will have the same problem the last owner had. Again, good luck!
    I will check that although I'm fairly certain the previous owner probably just did not mount the caliper bracket properly because I'm sure the cable would break before popping the caliper bracket off the thick tab on the swingarm. I'm excited to get the new pulley in the mail to get this back the way it should be.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorwegianRT View Post

Micro switch.jpg

Hi, i fixed the switch and installed the gear the way I removed it but I guess it was in the wrong position from not having the switch and it kept turning and bent the switch again. I have straightened it again and need help determining how to position the gear. I don't know where the position should be with the cable etc. Is there anything in a service manual or is there any way someone could take their side panel off and take a picture with the parking brake on and off?

And I'm sorry, I don't know why this website uploads the pictures upside down.

Spyder Garage

Everything looks good now that I have secured the caliper hanger the way it goes. The spring/cable all look good. I disconnected the cable to be able to stretch it to attach to the gear but I don't know how the gear goes. Hoping someone can take a picture of the position with the parking brake on and off or maybe there is something in the service manual that I could not find.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Subsection XX page 26-27 of my service manual shows alignment procedure. It also says BUDS is required to set the pulley at its reference position.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike