Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Very Active Member Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    841
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default What is the latest & greatest 2014 RT Rear Tire?

    What is the latest and greatest rear tire for the RT? I have not been riding as much as I used to so I am out of the game so to speak. I am starting to ride more this year and it is time for a new rear tire. I was just wondering what people are using nowadays. I know they improved the stock Kenda a bit, but from what I read, it still does not last. I like the Kendas they used for the fronts and still have plenty of tread left (I have not quite 20k on the spyder). Thanks.


  2. #2
    SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    INDIANA, USA
    Posts
    6,807
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default Rear Tire

    .... The Spyder Forum talk on a Rear Tire is a Vredstein Quatrac :Size 205/60-15 or 205/65-15.

    General Altimax RT43 or a Michelin XM2+ .

    I hope this helps you find a better Rear Tire.

    Stay Healthy and Be Safe. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

    My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

  3. #3
    Very Active Member Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    841
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    .... The Spyder Forum talk on a Rear Tire is a Vredstein Quatrac :Size 205/60-15 or 205/65-15.

    General Altimax RT43 or a Michelin XM2+ .

    I hope this helps you find a better Rear Tire.

    Stay Healthy and Be Safe. ....
    Thanks!!!


  4. #4
    Active Member Wahrsuul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Central SC
    Posts
    456
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Vredstein Quatrac :Size 205/60-15 or 205/65-15 This is what I'm using on my 2014. it had a Kumho on it when I got it, but after a year I replaced it and the front Kendas with the VrVredstein Quatracs.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

  5. #5
    SpyderLovers Sponsor BajaRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greeneville, TN
    Posts
    13,711
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    If you go with the General Altimax. Consider the 215/60/15 tire. It's closer to the OEM width than the Vredestein, giving you a bit more meat on the ground. And though I would never run a tire on the Spyder for looks, I think the wider tire does look better. Both the Altimax and Vredestein Quatrac are great rear tires. I wish the Vredestein would come in the 215 size.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-20-2023 at 08:22 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

    Only SLOW people have to leave on time...





  6. #6
    Very Active Member Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    841
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    If you go with the General Altimax. Consider the 215/60/15 tire. It's closer to the OEM width than the Vredestein, giving you a bit more meat on the ground. And though I would never run a tire on the Spyder for looks, I think the wider tire does look better. Both the Altimax and Vredestein Quatrac are great rear tires. I wish the Vredestein would come in the 215 size.
    Looks like the Quatrac may/is no longer being made. I don't see it listed on Vredestein's website. It is out of stock on Tire Rack as well (Update: Looks like Tire Rack may have them. Looked earlier and said OOS, not IS). May need to go with the Altimax.
    Last edited by Hawk; 04-20-2023 at 08:43 AM.


  7. #7
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    20,512
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Nope .... the Quatrac 5 was replaced by the QUATRAC .... ANOTHER CHOICE IF YOU LIKE 215 size is the RIKEN Raptor ..... I have one because it was $20.00 less and the rating was ONLY slightly lower then the others ..... and I like it .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-20-2023 at 08:21 PM.

  8. #8
    Very Active Member Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    841
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Nope .... the Quatrac 5 was replaced by the QUATRAC .... ANOTHER CHOICE IF YOU LIKE 215 size is the RIKEN Raptor ..... I have one because it was $20.00 less and the rating was slightly lower then the others ..... and I like it .... Mike
    https://www.vredestein.com/car-suv-tires/products/

    Quatrac is not on there, the 5 and the Pro is, but not the Quatrac. Guess they don't update their website very often then.


  9. #9
    Very Active Member jcthorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    5,545
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    We have installed MANY Yokohama ADVAN tires for the rear of Spyders. Much prefer them over the General or Vredestein because of the much better traction both wet and dry. Its a quality tire and Made in USA.

    Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

  10. #10
    Very Active Member SLICE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Location
    manatee county Florida
    Posts
    574
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    We have installed MANY Yokohama ADVAN tires for the rear of Spyders. Much prefer them over the General or Vredestein because of the much better traction both wet and dry. Its a quality tire and Made in USA.
    are you sticking with the 225 width.

  11. #11
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    361
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    We have installed MANY Yokohama ADVAN tires for the rear of Spyders. Much prefer them over the General or Vredestein because of the much better traction both wet and dry. Its a quality tire and Made in USA.
    Could you post a link, please? When I search Yokohama's site I only get the AVID model in the Spyder sizes.
    Last edited by Adventurer; 04-20-2023 at 11:42 AM.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally

  12. #12
    Very Active Member Deanna777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    8,024
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    What is the latest and greatest rear tire for the RT? I have not been riding as much as I used to so I am out of the game so to speak. I am starting to ride more this year and it is time for a new rear tire. I was just wondering what people are using nowadays. I know they improved the stock Kenda a bit, but from what I read, it still does not last. I like the Kendas they used for the fronts and still have plenty of tread left (I have not quite 20k on the spyder). Thanks.
    HI Hawk,

    I have a 2014 RTS-SE-SE6 spyder also, I am running General Altimax RT43 on the rear(Tire size :215/60R15) The first General was installed at 5,824 Miles, and the second General was installed @ 24,553 miles. I am running at 26 psi. The current mileage on my spyder is 30,000.00 +. I haven't had problems with the General tires.

    Here are the ratings: Wet 8.6 Excellent( 8.6 Hydroplaning Resistance 8.6 Wet Traction)

    Dry 8.8 Excellent ( 8.7 Corner Stability, 9.0 Dry Traction, 8.7 Steering Response)

    Comfort 8.6 Excellent

    Treadwear: 8.4 Good

    I hope the above info helps.

    Deanna




    Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

    Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock


    Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

  13. #13
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    20,512
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    https://www.vredestein.com/car-suv-tires/products/

    Quatrac is not on there, the 5 and the Pro is, but not the Quatrac. Guess they don't update their website very often then.
    well TIRE RACK has the QUATRAC ..... they are running low on the Q-5 .... but that's because they arn't making them anymore !!!!! .....Mike

  14. #14
    Very Active Member jcthorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    5,545
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    are you sticking with the 225 width.
    Yokohama we use 205/55R15. Its within 1/8 inch of same width as OEM tire. You have to compare actual dimensions of the various tires, not the nominal size number. Yoko sports tires tend to run wide, Kendas are narrow.

    Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

  15. #15
    Very Active Member jcthorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    5,545
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    Could you post a link, please? When I search Yokohama's site I only get the AVID model in the Spyder sizes.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...num=055VR5V701

    Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

  16. #16
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    361
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Thanks for the link, I’m always looking for the best tire. I admit I don’t know much about tires so I rely on information from members more educated on the subject than me, but using tire racks comparison charts the Quatrac ranks higher in every category than the Advan so for now think I’ll stick with the Quatracs until something better comes along.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally

  17. #17
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    20,512
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    Thanks for the link, I’m always looking for the best tire. I admit I don’t know much about tires so I rely on information from members more educated on the subject than me, but using tire racks comparison charts the Quatrac ranks higher in every category than the Advan so for now think I’ll stick with the Quatracs until something better comes along.
    I love folks who are willing to do a little research, I have said what you just said but got pushback ..... Mike

  18. #18
    Very Active Member jcthorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    5,545
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    Thanks for the link, Iím always looking for the best tire. I admit I donít know much about tires so I rely on information from members more educated on the subject than me, but using tire racks comparison charts the Quatrac ranks higher in every category than the Advan so for now think Iíll stick with the Quatracs until something better comes along.
    You cannot compare the ratings at tire rack between those two tires. The ADVAN is in Ultra Performance Summer Tire category and the Quatracs is a touring all season. The ratings can only be compared with tires in the same category. IE a performance tire with lower traction rating can still have far better traction than a touring tire with a slightly higher one.

    I can tell you from first hand experience that the ADVAN has MUCH better traction than the Quatracs when used on the Spyder. Much better than the OEM Kenda too and still manages to last far longer.

    Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

  19. #19
    Very Active Member jcthorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    5,545
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Because the numbers game is not a fair comparison. You are comparing apples to wing nuts using amazon ratings numbers.

    Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

  20. #20
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    361
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    You cannot compare the ratings at tire rack between those two tires. The ADVAN is in Ultra Performance Summer Tire category and the Quatracs is a touring all season. The ratings can only be compared with tires in the same category. IE a performance tire with lower traction rating can still have far better traction than a touring tire with a slightly higher one.

    I can tell you from first hand experience that the ADVAN has MUCH better traction than the Quatracs when used on the Spyder. Much better than the OEM Kenda too and still manages to last far longer.
    I’ve wondered that very thing regarding comparing ratings and now I know, thanks for the info. Now I’m back to the conundrum of which tire to choose, but I’ve got a virtually new tire right now so no rush decision necessary.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally

  21. #21
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    361
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Because the numbers game is not a fair comparison. You are comparing apples to wing nuts using amazon ratings numbers.
    I was using tire rack ratings not amazon but I totally get what you’re saying.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally

  22. #22
    Very Active Member EdMat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Clinton, MS
    Posts
    1,593
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    I’ve wondered that very thing regarding comparing ratings and now I know, thanks for the info. Now I’m back to the conundrum of which tire to choose, but I’ve got a virtually new tire right now so no rush decision necessary.
    Both great tires. it may simply boil down to your use. The ADVAN might be best if you only ride in warm conditions. The Quadrac might be best if you ride in all conditions. Most riders might not notice the difference unless it's over 100 Deg F or less than 60.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

  23. #23
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    361
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Both great tires. it may simply boil down to your use. The ADVAN might be best if you only ride in warm conditions. The Quadrac might be best if you ride in all conditions. Most riders might not notice the difference unless it's over 100 Deg F or less than 60.
    Thanks for that additional info, I like it. My number 1 priority for tire performance is wet traction. Having experienced hydroplaning with my close to worn out OE Kenda I do not want to experience that ever again, especially with my wife on the back!
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally

  24. #24
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    20,512
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    I’ve wondered that very thing regarding comparing ratings and now I know, thanks for the info. Now I’m back to the conundrum of which tire to choose, but I’ve got a virtually new tire right now so no rush decision necessary.
    Interesting thing about " tire categories " .... I looked at Tire Rack " tire testing for the Fleva V701 and the Quatrac .... both were tested using a BMW .... Fleva vs. Quatrac... wet -8.4 vs 9.1 ...the Quatrac also was better in Dry, & Comfort... they tied for Treadware .... go to Tire Rack and look for yourself .....Mike .... PS they are both " V " rated ( 149 mph )
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-21-2023 at 12:16 PM.

  25. #25
    Very Active Member jcthorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    5,545
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Interesting thing about " tire categories " .... I looked at Tire Rack " tire testing for the Fleva V701 and the Quatrac .... both were tested using a BMW .... Fleva vs. Quatrac... wet -8.4 vs 9.1 ...the Quatrac also was better in Dry, & Comfort... they tied for Treadware .... go to Tire Rack and look for yourself .....Mike .... PS they are both " V " rated ( 149 mph )
    The ratings are relative scores against other tires tested in the same category. They are not stand alone measurements. The numbers cannot be directly compared between categories. Taken to an extreme, if what you are proposing were true, then a narrow all season truck tire vastly out performs all out sports car tires like Michelin Sport Cups with regard to wet and dry traction. Which we know is absolutely not the case.



    Also as I have said, specific real world use ON A SPYDER I can tell you the ADVAN has significantly more dry traction than the Quatrac. Its not a small difference. Thy Yoko sticks and launches MUCH harder. I do not have real world comparisons in the rain, but do have lots of experience with the Yoko in the rain and hydroplaning is simply not a problem at any sane speed.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 04-21-2023 at 01:14 PM.

    Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •