Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: trunk gaz shock

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas NV.
    Posts
    9
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default trunk gaz shock

    looking for trunk lid gaz shock for 2013 RT

  2. #2
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    13,836
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zman View Post
    looking for trunk lid gaz shock for 2013 RT
    One option is to look for one at McMaster Carr ..... take yours off and measure it .... then get one with a lift strength of at least 15lbs.... more if you have added a rack and plasn to carry stuff on it ...... look in the advanced search for rear trunk struts .... others have posted info on this .... Mike

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Very Active Member PMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    SoFlo
    Posts
    2,917
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    I rebuilt ours on the 2014. Unfortunately rebuilding difficulty is a 5 out of 5 on the difficulty scale for the majority of readers here.

  5. #5
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northern Kalifornia
    Posts
    1,340
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I rebuilt ours on the 2014. Unfortunately rebuilding difficulty is a 5 out of 5 on the difficulty scale for the majority of readers here.
    Yes PMK, I believe I have to agree with you. That's one reason I put so much info up there because the job is actually a 1.5 on that scale. Mainly because you don't have to get down on your knees to accomplish it.

  6. #6
    Very Active Member JayBros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Mint Hill, NC
    Posts
    3,872
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    FWIW and because my original shock gives up the ghost when the temp drops I've updated Cruzr Joe's numbers from Cheap Cycle Parts as below.

    708300383 Gas Shock, $61.99
    250000843 Torx Truss Screw M6X30 $1.99
    708300384 Spacer for Torx Truss Screw M6X30), $11.49
    232361493 Domed Nut M6, $1.99
    250300039 Ball Head Stud, (For Bottom of Shock), $10.49
    233281414 Hex Flanged Elastic Nut M8 (For Ball Head Stud), $1.99

    Total cost to do the job $89.94 + S/H
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    ******************************
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

  7. #7
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northern Kalifornia
    Posts
    1,340
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Once again from Amazon.

    Qty (1) 708300383 Replacement Lift Support For Can-Am Spyder RT 2010 To 2017
    by Lift Supports Depot
    4.6 out of 5 stars
    Price: $44.90 & FREE Shipping

  8. #8
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northern Kalifornia
    Posts
    1,340
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    My goodness. We all paid a ridiculously high price for a pile of over priced parts when we bought our rides. But it is what it is and it's simply the wind in our faces and the freedom of the road. Many folks here have helped us all out by doing research on replacement parts. I thank them each and everyone very much for jobs well done.

  9. #9
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    13,836
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default rear trunk struts

    Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Once again from Amazon.

    Qty (1) 708300383 Replacement Lift Support For Can-Am Spyder RT 2010 To 2017
    by Lift Supports Depot
    4.6 out of 5 stars
    Price: $44.90 & FREE Shipping
    Thanks for the part number ..... but the one from McMaster Carr is about $17.00 ..... just sayin ..... Mike

  10. #10
    Very Active Member jcthorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    5,251
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thanks for the part number ..... but the one from McMaster Carr is about $17.00 ..... just sayin ..... Mike
    Please post the part number or a link to the one in McMaster Carr catalog. I and others have gone down this rabbit hole and come up empty.

    Blue Flame Spyder F3-S

  11. #11
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    13,836
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Please post the part number or a link to the one in McMaster Carr catalog. I and others have gone down this rabbit hole and come up empty.
    spyder01 posted ( a new thread on this ) on 8-15-19, and gave a McMasterCarr parts list for the rear trunk strut..... just enter- McMaster Carr - ... in the search box to find it ...... Mike

  12. #12
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    13,836
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    One option is to look for one at McMaster Carr ..... take yours off and measure it .... then get one with a lift strength of at least 15lbs.... more if you have added a rack and plasn to carry stuff on it ...... look in the advanced search for rear trunk struts .... others have posted info on this .... Mike
    ....see post # 10 above to find part numbers

  13. #13
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northern Kalifornia
    Posts
    1,340
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thanks for the part number ..... but the one from McMaster Carr is about $17.00 ..... just sayin ..... Mike
    I tried this rabbit hole also Mike. Finally made a phone call and was told that one end of that strut was not compatible. With maybe the thousands of struts they produce how could that be? Possible nefarious reasons?

  14. #14
    Very Active Member samewok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville,Ar
    Posts
    1,132
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    The one on the Rt is a 20 lbs the one you need is at oriellys SG359011 it is 40 lbs. just make sure the back bolts are tight.
    I had one on my 2011 and 2015 with no problem
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual a arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs and more to come.

  15. #15
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    13,836
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I tried this rabbit hole also Mike. Finally made a phone call and was told that one end of that strut was not compatible. With maybe the thousands of struts they produce how could that be? Possible nefarious reasons?
    " nefarious reasons " ..... whose n.f. .... McmasterCarr ??? ... they have ZERO reasons to be doing that .... I have been using them for dozen's x's dozen's of items for decades. They have always given me honest service ..... Yes the struts they offer have quite a few Difference choices for the type of connection you want .... pick a matching end ..... I think spyder01 explained that ...... or just buy the ones from Amazon ...... Mike

  16. #16
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    13,836
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samewok View Post
    The one on the Rt is a 20 lbs the one you need is at oriellys SG359011 it is 40 lbs. just make sure the back bolts are tight.
    I had one on my 2011 and 2015 with no problem
    40lbs.???? remember that's 40 lbs even when it's completely closed .... that puts double the stress on the connections from OEM .... I don't think that's a good long term answer...... jmho ..... Mike

  17. #17
    Very Active Member PMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    SoFlo
    Posts
    2,917
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Yes PMK, I believe I have to agree with you. That's one reason I put so much info up there because the job is actually a 1.5 on that scale. Mainly because you don't have to get down on your knees to accomplish it.
    But my cost was less than $1

  18. #18
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northern Kalifornia
    Posts
    1,340
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    But my cost was less than $1
    Well good for you, but don't keep your $1 fix a secret. That's why we're here, to help our fellow spyder owners. Both new and old.

  19. #19
    Active Member LJspydee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Casa GrandeAZ/formally WaterlooIA
    Posts
    174
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Sachs SG359011 Lift Support will work. I ordered from Amazon for about $15. I used it on the left side to double the lift capacity with a rack and a bag on the trunk lid.
    2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    2017 Honda Pilot
    2018 Maverick Trail 1000 DPS
    2015 RTS SE6 Intense Red Pearl
    2014 35' Keystone Fuzion Impact Toyhauler
    Ultimate Seats passenger backrest, Adjustable wind deflectors, Minitrailer USA trailer, Can Am driver backrest, Corbin passenger armrests, after market hitch, DIY bump skid, LED turn indicaters, cup holders, frunk decal stripes, DIY GPS mount, DIY Gopro dash mount, aux 12v & USB outlets, DIY belt rock shield, BajaRon swaybar, frunk 12v outlet

  20. #20
    Very Active Member PMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    SoFlo
    Posts
    2,917
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Well good for you, but don't keep your $1 fix a secret. That's why we're here, to help our fellow spyder owners. Both new and old.
    I did not keep any secrets. In a previous topic details and photos were posted. As I mentioned, cost is very low but difficult to do. This scares away others. I was honest stating a difficulty of 5 on a scale of 5.

  21. #21
    Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Chateauguay, Qc, Canada
    Posts
    170
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I did not keep any secrets. In a previous topic details and photos were posted. As I mentioned, cost is very low but difficult to do. This scares away others. I was honest stating a difficulty of 5 on a scale of 5.
    Not much usable info above. Give us a thrill and supply a link. Thanks in advance.
    Eckhard

    Spyder RT Ltd, 2011

  22. #22
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northern Kalifornia
    Posts
    1,340
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I did not keep any secrets. In a previous topic details and photos were posted. As I mentioned, cost is very low but difficult to do. This scares away others. I was honest stating a difficulty of 5 on a scale of 5.
    Secret was likely the wrong word to use, I apologize. No malaise was intended. Personally i just felt the job was not that difficult. No bending stooping or crawling like what's required to do a 9k service. I even added additional support to the contact points of my strut(s) by using fender washers, which required slight alterations. I know there are some folks (not necessarily here) that quiver at the sight of a screwdriver. I believe spyder owners don't generally fit in that category. I'd saved the links I posted to my list of favorites files so I can easily recover them and share them with others. Possibly one of the links was yours.

  23. #23
    Very Active Member PMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    SoFlo
    Posts
    2,917
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    Not much usable info above. Give us a thrill and supply a link. Thanks in advance.
    Again my opinion is this is a 5 out of 5 difficulty for most here.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...Gas+strut+1000

  24. #24
    Very Active Member jcthorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    5,251
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LJspydee View Post
    Sachs SG359011 Lift Support will work. I ordered from Amazon for about $15. I used it on the left side to double the lift capacity with a rack and a bag on the trunk lid.
    Nope, that part number will get you a strut about 15" long. Perhaps you were ordering one for the seat? That one is not for the trunk.

    Blue Flame Spyder F3-S

  25. #25
    Very Active Member jcthorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    5,251
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    spyder01 posted ( a new thread on this ) on 8-15-19, and gave a McMasterCarr parts list for the rear trunk strut..... just enter- McMaster Carr - ... in the search box to find it ...... Mike

    So I stupidly went down this rabbit hole again. The part number for the strut given is 9416K17, 40lbs. I ordered the 3 parts given and one end is correct, the eye bolt end is the wrong size to fit a spyder and the strut is over 15" long. WAY too long to fit a spyder trunk. The other part number is 9416K11 which is about 3/4 inch too short to be used for the rear trunk.

    Please do not give this information again, its flat out wrong and folks will just waste money ordering it. Now I have $22 worth of 'spare' parts that fit nothing.

    Further research in the McMaster Carr catalog with the BRP strut and ruler in front of me, they do not have a strut of the correct length nor correct eye fitting. The BRP ones are custom for application just as BRP told me years ago.

    Blue Flame Spyder F3-S

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •