Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Registered Users mdblege's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Beaumont, TX
    Posts
    13
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Selling my 2011 RTS any advice Craigs List

    I posted this back in November 4 Sale by Owner, got no replies or emails now I think I am going to try Craigslist.
    Any advice?
    2011 RTS for sale 2011RTS-SE5 Orbital Blue, purchased new in April 2011. All services performed. Currentlyhas 25,500. CBcommunication package. Adjustable lower wind deflectors. With a few spare partsand a never used travel cover. Bike is located inBeaumont, TX.In excellentcondition always garaged. NADA average retail $14,137 Asking $13,000.00and if interested contact Mike. My wife can no longer ride with me.
    2011 Orbital Blue RT-S SE5

  2. #2
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    7,020
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Take a good long hard look at your price. My observation has been that for whatever reason NADA pricing is overly optimistic. I sold my 2013 base RT with 25,000 miles last March for $11,500. I started at $13,000 with ads in Arizona, California, and Texas and struck out. At the 11,500 price I sold it locally within about 4 weeks. I bought my 2014 RTS with only 654 miles on it from m/c dealer, not Can Am, for $18,000 in Dec 2015.

    Some folks get very defensive when I've suggested they're asking too much. One such seller is apparently still sitting on his bike and he started advertising it for sale last August. If it was priced right he wouldn't still have it. A bike should sell in couple of months if priced right.

    A bit of advice from my local Goldwing dealer when I was getting ready to sell my 2005 Goldwing back in the spring of 2014. He said don't ask too much expecting to be able to come down. If the price is too high no one will even express enough interest to give you the chance to come down. If the price is attractively low a buyer will jump on it and not push hard to go further down. If a bike is on a lot for more than 6 weeks it starts to become unsaleable. If people see it on the lot that long, and they have looked at it, they figure the price is too high and the seller isn't coming down. The same applies to Craigslist ads. Run the ad for awhile, and if it doesn't sell take the ad down. Then repost it a week or two later. Makes it look like a new ad.

    Post lots of photos and be honest about any blemishes. If you're up front about scratches, etc., people will overlook them. Make the description as complete as possible. If the looker is serious he'll bite quicker if he doesn't have to dig out a lot of info from you by phone or email.

    Look on craigslist nationally and check the price and posting date. If you see bikes at about the same price as you're asking, and they've been there for a couple of months, that should tell you something. Do a Google search for 2011 Spyder RT site:craigslist.org.

    2014 Copper RTS

    Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

  3. #3
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Not Here
    Posts
    92,478
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    I'm sorry to hear that your Wife can't ride with you; good luck with your sale!

  4. #4
    Very Active Member gkamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Spokane, Wa
    Posts
    705
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Good advice

    All good suggestion Idaho.
    Greg Kamer
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"

  5. #5
    aka: akspyderman ARtraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    35,820
    Spyder Garage
    7

    Default

    Good suggestions all.

    Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow), 2015 Vulcan 900 LTD

    Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium). 6 Spyders, 11 years, 156,205 miles


  6. #6
    Very Active Member Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ceresco, Michigan
    Posts
    8,629
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Take a good long hard look at your price. My observation has been that for whatever reason NADA pricing is overly optimistic. I sold my 2013 base RT with 25,000 miles last March for $11,500. I started at $13,000 with ads in Arizona, California, and Texas and struck out. At the 11,500 price I sold it locally within about 4 weeks. I bought my 2014 RTS with only 654 miles on it from m/c dealer, not Can Am, for $18,000 in Dec 2015.

    Some folks get very defensive when I've suggested they're asking too much. One such seller is apparently still sitting on his bike and he started advertising it for sale last August. If it was priced right he wouldn't still have it. A bike should sell in couple of months if priced right.

    A bit of advice from my local Goldwing dealer when I was getting ready to sell my 2005 Goldwing back in the spring of 2014. He said don't ask too much expecting to be able to come down. If the price is too high no one will even express enough interest to give you the chance to come down. If the price is attractively low a buyer will jump on it and not push hard to go further down. If a bike is on a lot for more than 6 weeks it starts to become unsaleable. If people see it on the lot that long, and they have looked at it, they figure the price is too high and the seller isn't coming down. The same applies to Craigslist ads. Run the ad for awhile, and if it doesn't sell take the ad down. Then repost it a week or two later. Makes it look like a new ad.

    Post lots of photos and be honest about any blemishes. If you're up front about scratches, etc., people will overlook them. Make the description as complete as possible. If the looker is serious he'll bite quicker if he doesn't have to dig out a lot of info from you by phone or email.

    Look on craigslist nationally and check the price and posting date. If you see bikes at about the same price as you're asking, and they've been there for a couple of months, that should tell you something. Do a Google search for 2011 Spyder RT site:craigslist.org.
    100%.

    The NADA and KBB books are simply unrealistic. I got $10K for my 2012 RT as a trade.
    It should be noted that add-on's and extras don't increase the sale price at all... so you might as well strip it down and sell the goodies out here.. can usually get 50% of what you paid for them.

    Another reason the trade-ins and 2nd hand sales are priced low is all the deals they have on new ones. You can still buy brand new 2015's out there for great deals... which hurts used sales.

    Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

  7. #7
    Active Member Hokiev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    205
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    You might also check with a local dealer and see if he will sell on consignment. That takes the hassle off you. Downside is you don't have it to ride while it is there.
    HokieV

    2015 RTS Intense Red Pearl (New Jan. 2016) - Comfort Heated Seat w/Backrest, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, superbrightled.com Brake Light Strobe, TricLED fender lights w/Blinker Module & Turn Signal Strips, Stebel Nautilus Horn, FOBO TPMS, Spydercuff, Dual USB outlet, Bike Barn.

    Previous - 2011 RT Limited.

  8. #8
    Very Active Member Mazo EMS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    southern WI
    Posts
    1,696
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    I've had a lot of luck with C/L. I like to put myself in the buyer's shoes and ask myself what I would wanna know about the item. So, I take a ton of pics, and list everything I can about the item....just ask yourself, "what would I ask the seller?" Has worked well for me

  9. #9
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Willis, Michigan
    Posts
    573
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    All great advice. In addition, think about how you're going to let potential buyers test ride your machine. Many of them may have never seen a Spyder in the flesh before drooling over yours, and we all know the horror stories of first-ride wrecks even by seasoned 2-wheel jockeys.

    Also, decide how you're going to accept payment. E.g., I learned years ago that a certified check can be just as risky to receive as a regular one; told to me by my bank as I deposited a $1500 certified check for a saddle I sold via eBay. She advised me not to ship my saddle until the check cleared; suggesting that I stop in or call in 3 days or so to make sure it had.

    Good luck with your sale!


    2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

  10. #10
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    7,020
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ruralgirl View Post
    Also, decide how you're going to accept payment. E.g., I learned years ago that a certified check can be just as risky to receive as a regular one; told to me by my bank as I deposited a $1500 certified check for a saddle I sold via eBay. She advised me not to ship my saddle until the check cleared; suggesting that I stop in or call in 3 days or so to make sure it had.
    A cashier's check is a good way to go, unless you're afraid the bank will go bust before the check clears! A cashier's check is a bank check and won't be issued unless the payor has transferred money to the bank to cover it. But you will want to verify it is good right away to avoid getting scammed by a counterfeit one.

    2014 Copper RTS

    Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

  11. #11
    Registered Users
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Forest Knolls Ca
    Posts
    1
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Selling My 2010 Can Am Premiere Edition RT-S

    I'm also having a heck of a time Selling mine! I have 30,600 miles on mine and have it listed for $11,500. I was selling for 13 as I bought it last year for 14.. With 30k miles on it.. Love this bike so much but forced to sell. Best bike I've ever owned!

  12. #12
    Active Member michrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Liverpool, NY
    Posts
    186
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    I just sold my Victory on CL as others have stated lots of pictures help, you will get scammers as well. I think what helped me was I asked a fair price, had all my slips for service and add ones (all though they may or may jot increase the value). I was honest about the bike about the pro's and cons of it. Everytime I got a post I would reply back to it through CL and if they replied back I would ask for a name. I've been lucky selling on CL but you do get nervous having someone come to your house to see the bike, I sold mine over the winter. Good luck on your sale.

  13. #13
    Registered Users mdblege's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Beaumont, TX
    Posts
    13
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Thanks

    Thanks for all the suggestions and warning’s about scammers.
    I guess I will lowerthe asking price to $ 11,000 and see what happens.
    I really hate to sell the bike and it is in excellent condition.

    2011 Orbital Blue RT-S SE5

  14. #14
    Active Member Vidman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Avon, CT
    Posts
    404
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mdblege View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions and warning’s about scammers.
    I guess I will lowerthe asking price to $ 11,000 and see what happens.
    I really hate to sell the bike and it is in excellent condition.

    One more caution. Here in CT police departments encourage you to use their parking lots when dealing with Craigs List customers. I have done so. I arrive early and let the dispatchers know i will be meeting someone in the parking lot. Never had a problem. Good luck.
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant, BaJaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Links, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder. More to Come.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's
    14 Kymco - wife's (Hmmmmm...i'm losing bikes)

  15. #15
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,459
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    IMHO it's a cash only kinda thing. If you have the money to buy, go to the bank before you come to me. Banks give out cash all day long and @10k isn't really that much. Public meeting places, etc.👍

    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Willis, Michigan
    Posts
    573
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    A cashier's check is a good way to go, unless you're afraid the bank will go bust before the check clears! A cashier's check is a bank check and won't be issued unless the payor has transferred money to the bank to cover it. But you will want to verify it is good right away to avoid getting scammed by a counterfeit one.
    My banker's explanation that day was along the lines of, if there's more than one name on an account, usually husband/wife, it's rare but possible that both parties have made withdrawals within a short time of each other, probably without the other one knowing it yet. IOW, there can be situations where the money isn't actually there at the moment the cashiers check is being verified for issue.

    BTW, I just saw an ad that this coming Sunday night on the REELZ network, the episode of Murder Made Me Famous will be about the Craigslist serial killer!
    Last edited by ruralgirl; 04-03-2017 at 01:18 PM.


    2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

  17. #17
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,459
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Craigslist is sketchy for sure. If I'm buying used I'd rather buy from a seasoned forum member. While not perfect, it does allow you the ability to do a bit of homework and search the forum reading all the sellers previous posts.

    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Very Active Member Bfromla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Bossier loUiSiAna
    Posts
    4,227
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    My experience ( vey limited) has been a dead zone on vehicle sales till tax returns. Then all goes nuts ?

    2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ &brake light strips,
    wide vue mirrors
    Lid lox
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP trailer hitch & 622 trailer (with its own list: Spyderpops Lighted Rear Bumpskid, LineX protection on sides, led trim lighting amber front& red rear, stand& tongue handle)THX Cruzr Joe!
    (pics in album)

  19. #19
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    7,020
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ruralgirl View Post
    My banker's explanation that day was along the lines of, if there's more than one name on an account, usually husband/wife, it's rare but possible that both parties have made withdrawals within a short time of each other, probably without the other one knowing it yet. IOW, there can be situations where the money isn't actually there at the moment the cashiers check is being verified for issue.
    I don't think that's going to happen. The bank isn't going to issue the cashier's check unless the money is not only just available in the payor's account, but actually transferred to the bank. Bank transactions are very quick anymore. No such thing as 'floating a check' like we used to be able to do years ago!

    Certified checks are not any more trusty than personal checks. The only real risk with cashier's checks is they might be forged, but you run the risk of counterfeit greenbacks if you insist on cash. I would guess that both cash and cashier's checks are going to be something like 99.99999 risk free!
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 04-03-2017 at 08:06 PM.

    2014 Copper RTS

    Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

  20. #20
    Very Active Member Sarge707's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,496
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Cash Only at My Bank- Money verified by Bank machine and the Title is signed over to you- Plate Taken Off and its Yours!! Bank has cameras!
    2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

    Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

  21. #21
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Willis, Michigan
    Posts
    573
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I was wrong in using the term "cashiers" check when I should've used "certified" check, which is an important distinction. The check I took to my bank was probably certified, which simply means that at the moment the check was written, the bank verified the account holder's identification and that the account held sufficient funds. A cashiers check is when the bank transfers the account holder's money into the bank's escrow account, which then makes the bank responsible to the recipient.

    In any event, as others have said, and as I always practice as a CL buyer or seller, cash is the only way to go.


    2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

  22. #22
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Not Here
    Posts
    92,478
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    What if they offer to sign over their Welfare check to me?

  23. #23
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,459
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    What if they offer to sign over their Welfare check to me?
    Only if the transaction also includes food stamps, is a welfare check acceptable....

    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Not Here
    Posts
    92,478
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    That's a good point!
    After all: this boy's GOTTA eat!!

  25. #25
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Willis, Michigan
    Posts
    573
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    What if they offer to sign over their Welfare check to me?
    If that means some level of government is the ultimate responsible party, run like hell!!


    2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •